What are some good, easy meals my wife can’t screw up?

Einstein

1 minute ago, Einstein said:

Her words, not mine. “Find me some recipes that actually taste good (not just bland steak and broccoli) that I won’t screw up?”

What do you got?

First I'd buy her a spice rack.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, T&C said:

First I'd buy her a spice rack.

Second, I’d buy her some spices. 

Third, learn to use them. 

We had our 9 year old grandson last weekend. He’s expressed an interest in learning how to cook, a bit of a hobby for me for a while. He can do better than microwaving his own hot dog. We do some simple recipes he loves that he could do himself with a little assistance. I hope I did not just compare your wife's cooking skills to the potential of a nine year old boy, because I think that’s what I just did. 😋

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

16 minutes ago, Einstein said:

Her words, not mine. “Find me some recipes that actually taste good (not just bland steak and broccoli) that I won’t screw up?”

What do you got?

What kind of foods are you into? OK with chicken? Fish? Love veggies? Are you OK with red meat? I’ve got some ideas. 

One of the reasons I stopped cooking was people got so damn picky! Our son married a vegetarian. Her parents will do chicken or fish, but not red meat. My niece will not do red meat, but chicken is fine, while fish, or “anything that swims in its own poop”, is off limits. I have a friend with a terrible egg allergy, so we have to be careful. My BIL and his wife went all-in vegan due to health issues. 

I’ve thrown my hands up. I’ll make what I want with enough for like minded people, do some simple veggies and let the wife go to Whole Foods to satisfy the picky. 

Cooking is mostly a matter of reading comprehension. I’m no chef, but I can read. Since I already put your wife in the same cooking basket as a 9 year old boy, I had to wonder how much more I could offend you or your bride.  😋

• Like (+1) 2

56 minutes ago, Augie said:

What kind of foods are you into? OK with chicken? Fish? Love veggies? Are you OK with red meat? I’ve got some ideas. 

One of the reasons I stopped cooking was people got so damn picky! Our son married a vegetarian. Her parents will do chicken or fish, but not red meat. My niece will not do red meat, but chicken is fine, while fish, or “anything that swims in its own poop”, is off limits. I have a friend with a terrible egg allergy, so we have to be careful. My BIL and his wife went all-in vegan due to health issues. 

I’ve thrown my hands up. I’ll make what I want with enough for like minded people, do some simple veggies and let the wife go to Whole Foods to satisfy the picky. 

Cooking is mostly a matter of reading comprehension. I’m no chef, but I can read. Since I already put your wife in the same cooking basket as a 9 year old boy, I had to wonder how much more I could offend you or your bride.  😋

I am a carbaholic but i’m trying to change that. Fish is ok. Chicken is ok smothered in sauce. Steake diane is great.

Tired of spending thousands per month at restaurants. Body doesn’t appreciate it either.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Einstein said:

I am a carbaholic but i’m trying to change that. Fish is ok. Chicken is ok smothered in sauce. Steake diane is great.

Tired of spending thousands per month at restaurants. Body doesn’t appreciate it either.

The dollars don’t matter. 

What you order matters. 

But nice humble brag, there. 

When he was 17 or so, my son wanted to learn how to cook. Most of the cookbooks in my collection have excellent, but pretty difficult recipes with a lot of ingredients. Then, looking through the bargain bin at Barnes&Noble, I found this cookbook: It was a full success. The recipes are pretty easy and well-explained, and you do not need lots of strange ingredients. As a note of caution, the claim on the cover "30 minutes or less" is an exaggeration. Even I, as a cook with lots of experience, need longer for most of the recipes.

https://www.amazon.com/Best-Simple-Recipes-Flavorful-Foolproof/dp/1933615591

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, DrW said:

When he was 17 or so, my son wanted to learn how to cook. Most of the cookbooks in my collection have excellent, but pretty difficult recipes with a lot of ingredients. Then, looking through the bargain bin at Barnes&Noble, I found this cookbook: It was a full success. The recipes are pretty easy and well-explained, and you do not need lots of strange ingredients. As a note of caution, the claim on the cover "30 minutes or less" is an exaggeration. Even I, as a cook with lots of experience, need longer for most of the recipes.

When our oldest went to college we got him a cook book called A Man, A Can, And A Plan. Pretty doable stuff. 

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

Allrecipes.com is my go to when I need ideas. Lots of great recipes with common ingredients. 

Emeril was the worst, with dozens of ingredients, many of which were obscure and nearly impossible to find. Didn’t he make enough money that selling toaster ovens is beneath him?  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

When I went away to college, someone gave me "The Starving Student's Cookbook." It had some simple recipes, but more importantly, it taught me this philosophy of cooking, which I still do nearly 40 years later: just improvise. Recipes are just guidelines; adjust them according to your taste and what you have available.

My wife and I both cook using this philosophy. We just keep a variety of meat, veggies, and starches on hand. We have a full spice rack, but I'd say we use fewer than ten of them on a regular basis. Every day we figure out what to have for dinner and one of us slaps it together in an hour or less. It always turns out good.

I'm always amazed at people who say they can't cook. It ain't rocket surgery.

27 minutes ago, Augie said:

When our oldest went to college we got him a cook book called A Man, A Can, And A Plan. Pretty doable stuff. 

Men's Health magazine used to have a monthly column with that name. I wonder if they put together a couple of years' worth of recipes and published it as a book.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, DrW said:

Just double the time they say.  I never come close.

Okay this is BASIC but nearly Foolproof.

You buy a rotisserie chicken. Best price is Costco $4.99 or equivalent in your area.

First night: cut white meat in slices on toasted Bread with mayo, avocado, tomato, lettuce AND Bacon if you want to make it a Club style sandwich.  Side salad with garbanzos and craisins, pepitas for crunch. Lettuce mix or add red cabbage, carrot, tomato

Then you remove all meat from the carcass. The next 2 ideas are all standard at my house

Second Night: Take appropriate amount of chicken and cut into small pieces, add an equal amount cheddar cheese and a lesser amount of prepared salsa of your flavor level spice. I like chipotle or salsa fresca

MIX together don't make it too wet. Put flour tortilla in frying pan, put chicken mix on top to cover and then another tortilla on top. On medium high heat cook for approx 4 minutes on each side...flip over  until browned. Serve with sour cream and same side salad.

Third night: ..Buy a Bag of stir fry vegetables. Or use a blend of any you eat wether it be broccoli, carrot, onion, green pea pods. Other options are green beans or green onion, . Take a frying pan and sprinkle with 1T sesame oil. Let it get hot then add vegies and stir fry. Add black pepper, garlic and a generous splash of Oyster sauce. Add the last of the chicken to warm it with the vegies.

serve with a portion of Minute rice and soy sauce on the side. 

all pretty fast, not hard clean up and Yummy.

Edited by muppy
  • Like (+1) 5

3 hours ago, Einstein said:

if you love carbs, try Pepe e Cacio. Pasta, pasta water, cheese, pepper. It’s such an easy dish to make. 

https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/cacio-e-pepe

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Hamburger Gravy brah.  Ground meat cooked with a little oil in a pan.  Add cream of mushroom soup, some frozen peas and carrots, and season with salt and pepper.  Serve over mashed potatoes or rice.

growing up, when it was just me and my dad for a while, we had this often, without the soup or frozen veggies.  Thinking it would be better with those.  I would also add some onions.

Edited by redtail hawk

5 minutes ago, redtail hawk said:

growing up, when it was just me and my dad for a while, we had this often, without the soup or frozen veggies.  Thinking it would be better with those.  I would also add some onions.

It’s a go-to “emergency meal” in my house.  We always keep the ingredients on hand just in case we need to make something easy and quick on a busy night.  Really, you can add anything you want to it and it’s delicious.  A can of cream of mushroom soup makes a nice gravy and I usually add some chicken stock at the end to make it more saucy.  Also, even the instant spuds will do in a pinch. Some real gourmet s**t!

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, muppy said:

Okay this is BASIC but nearly Foolproof.

You buy a rotisserie chicken. Best price is Costco $4.99 or equivalent in your area.

Had to teach my newly  employed and on her own  money daughter how to use Costco to her wallets advantage. This right here , the $4.99 chicken, is the greatest deal in all the land ( next to the $1.50 hotdog and soda). So many ways to use it.The frozen and deveined shrimp and the other assorted frozen fish are unbeatable prices, and i actually prefer frozen fish to fresh fish in any of the grocery stores

Edited by plenzmd1
  • Like (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

Had to teach my newly  employed and on her own  money daughter how to use Costco to her wallets advantage. This right here , the $4.99 chicken, is the greatest deal in all the land ( next to the $1.50 hotdog and soda). So many ways to use it.The frozen and deveined shrimp and the other assorted frozen fish are unbeatable prices, and i actually prefer frozen fish to fresh fish in any of the grocery stores

Jimmy Two Times Goodfellas GIF

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

It’s a go-to “emergency meal” in my house.  We always keep the ingredients on hand just in case we need to make something easy and quick on a busy night.  Really, you can add anything you want to it and it’s delicious.  A can of cream of mushroom soup makes a nice gravy and I usually add some chicken stock at the end to make it more saucy.  Also, even the instant spuds will do in a pinch. Some real gourmet s**t!

We had this often too.  I really enjoy it. Unfortunately, my wife hates it.  https://www.smalltownwoman.com/creamed-chipped-beef/.  Top with a slice boiled egg if desired.

Edited by redtail hawk
  • Like (+1) 1

I'm often on a tight schedule with little time between finishing work and having to cook dinner and get kids fed before they have to be somewhere for evening activities. I find cooking in my Instant Pot to be a real life saver - lots of quick easy recipes I can make in a short amount of time. There are endless recipes that include meat, veggies and a starch (pasta/rice/potatoes) in a single recipe that all cook at the same time and they are usually very easy to make.

• Like (+1) 1

Might be worth signing up for HelloFresh or any of those meal services. They have a number of methods they use to spice up the meals and get good flavors going. Could be a decent way to learn the basics and get some momentum going. Plus you can always keep the recipes and supply your own groceries if you want to cook it again.

1 hour ago, LeviF said:

lol, tell S we wish her the best! And if she needs to learn to cook she can call me since you're clearly no help in that department.

Let’s give credit where credit is due. Plenz is capable of supervising the creation of some very tasty wings. There’s even a chance he will remember the butter……

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

I’ve never tried their frozen fish, but I’ll look today as I’m heading to Costco. It’s our anniversary and my wife loves yellow roses with red tips. I got them for a few years from “the best florist in Atlanta”…..and they were always sad in 24 hours and dead in 48-72 hours. The wife even went behind my back and complained resulting in replacement flowers, that also died promptly. 

I discovered paying ~$150 from the fancy place for lousy flowers was one more point of proof that I’m an idiot. The same roses from Costco are like $19 (and we have a collection of vases) and they last an almost 2 weeks. 

While I’m there I can stroll up and down the aisles and effectively have lunch, one sample at a time. 

we did blue apron which is like hello fresh for a while.  we enjoyed learning to cook new things, but we found it wasn't a quick meal.  if you're good with prepping/cutting, it can go much faster, but we never found it to be a quick process if you need to get out of the house fast.

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Augie said:

I’ve never tried their frozen fish, but I’ll look today as I’m heading to Costco. It’s our anniversary and my wife loves yellow roses with red tips. I got them for a few years from “the best florist in Atlanta”…..and they were always sad in 24 hours and dead in 48-72 hours. The wife even went behind my back and complained resulting in replacement flowers, that also died promptly. 

I discovered paying ~$150 from the fancy place for lousy flowers was one more point of proof that I’m an idiot. The same roses from Costco are like $19 (and we have a collection of vases) and they last an almost 2 weeks. 

While I’m there I can stroll up and down the aisles and effectively have lunch, one sample at a time. 

none of the breaded stuff etc, just the fish! And the 20-25 shrimp great for pastas, currys etc...throw em under the faucet in a colander for 5 minutes and they ready to go! BTW, the packaging ALWAYS says to not defrost in this way, but i been doing it that way for twenty years, never had an issue!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

none of the breaded stuff etc, just the fish! And the 20-25 shrimp great for pastas, currys etc...throw em under the faucet in a colander for 5 minutes and they ready to go! BTW, the packaging ALWAYS says to not defrost in this way, but i been doing it that way for twenty years, never had an issue!

This is how I've always thawed shrimp, too.

5 minutes ago, teef said:

we did blue apron which is like hello fresh for a while.  we enjoyed learning to cook new things, but we found it wasn't a quick meal.  if you're good with prepping/cutting, it can go much faster, but we never found it to be a quick process if you need to get out of the house fast.

That's true, it definitely takes a little longer especially with having to dice up veggies and what not. We have been able to speed that up a bit though after time just from a lot of practice with the basic steps and figuring out which things could be multi-tasked. 

• Like (+1) 1

Braises and stews are always delicious and very hard to screw up.  They take time, but most of the time is inactive as your meat slow cooks.

Quick, easy and delicious, get a quality thai curry paste like Mae Ploy or Maesri, some coconut milk, veggies and meat and you've got a nice meal in 30 mins or less.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Metal Man said:

That's true, it definitely takes a little longer especially with having to dice up veggies and what not. We have been able to speed that up a bit though after time just from a lot of practice with the basic steps and figuring out which things could be multi-tasked. 

it does take a lot of practice.  we recently took my aunt to a class at the local culinary center.  at the beginning of the class they spent some time going over prepping, and my god what a difference that made.  if you know how to prep, it becomes much more fun.  i'm still clunky with it, but a few tips go a long way.

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.