Bills new WR coach?

DJB

He worked with Mike Shula in Denver and has ties to Bill Musgrave who is connected to Frazier. He also coached with Pat Shurmur who worked with McDermott in Philly and whose son is on our staff. He did survive a number of coaching changes in Denver, so maybe that is something.

I'll take jerry Jeudy or Cortland Sutton. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 3
  • Dislike 1

1 minute ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

So you’re blaming a WR coach you never heard of before today?

Some WRs did develop nicely in Denver.

I am just saying not knowing much about the guy, but I would not call it a good resume. Usually you try to poach based on some success or working under a coach etc. Why you see the Andy Reid coaching line talk, etc. But hey, he could be amazing for all I know. 

10 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

He worked with Mike Shula in Denver and has ties to Bill Musgrave who is connected to Frazier. He also coached with Pat Shurmur who worked with McDermott in Philly and whose son is on our staff. He did survive a number of coaching changes in Denver, so maybe that is something.

I'll take jerry Jeudy or Cortland Sutton. 

Bill Musgrave...great. Now I feel much worse. Thanks

• Haha (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, ngbills said:

I am just saying not knowing much about the guy, but I would not call it a good resume. Usually you try to poach based on some success or working under a coach etc. Why you see the Andy Reid coaching line talk, etc. But hey, he could be amazing for all I know. 

Kromer had an awesome resume and we all hate our offensive line

Also Daboll's was not very compelling when he came here either 

I'm just not sure we can have any idea with position coach hires. Best to just not feel much about it either way 

• Like (+1) 3

15 minutes ago, ngbills said:

I don’t know. I wanted a guy with some experience.

I would love to throw a pick at Denver for Juedy also. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I don’t know. I wanted a guy with some experience.

I would love to throw a pick at Denver for Juedy also. 

Jeudy is one of the few quality WR's who are a potential trade fit for the Bills because his cap hit is negligible next season.

I doubt Payton gives him up.........even for the Bills 1st rounder.........but it's a possibility.    

If he brings Michael Thomas with him to Denver maybe he decides to cash in Jeudy for some help elsewhere.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Jeudy is one of the few quality WR's who are a potential trade fit for the Bills because his cap hit is negligible next season.

I doubt Payton gives him up.........even for the Bills 1st rounder.........but it's a possibility.    

If he brings Michael Thomas with him to Denver maybe he decides to cash in Jeudy for some help elsewhere.

If he brings Thomas to Denver he should see a psychiatrist. I think he's seen enough (or hasn't seen nearly enough) of Thomas the last 3 years to last him the rest of his coaching career (and yes, I recognize he wasn't coaching in NOLA this past season). Talent aside, no one would know better than Payton that Thomas is a head case with a bad foot.

1 minute ago, transient said:

If he brings Thomas to Denver he should see a psychiatrist. I think he's seen enough (or hasn't seen nearly enough) of Thomas the last 3 years to last him the rest of his coaching career (and yes, I recognize he wasn't coaching in NOLA this past season). Talent aside, no one would know better than Payton that Thomas is a head case with a bad foot.

How would that be any less crazy than agreeing to take the Broncos job in the first place? 

And in the second place........not only knowing they traded away many of their good picks in coming years for Russell Wilson..........but that he was also going to be without the 1st and 2nd round picks that they had to send to the Saints?

That whole situation is crazy, IMO.

I mean.........I thought it was dumb and wasteful when McDermott took over and didn't franchise Gilmore so they could trade him...........the Broncos have been wasting valuable personnel chips like a desperate NBA team(Lakers for example) the past couple offseasons.

• Like (+1) 2

33 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

If he brings Michael Thomas then I say go for Sutton or Patrick. 

5 minutes ago, Einstein said:

Still not sure why we let Hall go.

We didn't his contract was up so he decided to go elsewhere. 

3 minutes ago, Einstein said:

I would guess he wanted to leave.

He interviewed for OC with Baltimore so he clearly wants to be an OC...........and he got passed over for the OC job last year and then they hired Joe Brady to the staff also.........so he probably felt blocked in.

He should be smelling like a rose next hiring season with Trevor and their cast of productive WR's.

3 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

If he brings Michael Thomas then I say go for Sutton or Patrick. 

Because those guys have $14M and $8M base salaries in 2023, respectively.

Jeudy has a $2.6M base salary.

23 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

How would that be any less crazy than agreeing to take the Broncos job in the first place? 

And in the second place........not only knowing they traded away many of their good picks in coming years for Russell Wilson..........but that he was also going to be without the 1st and 2nd round picks that they had to send to the Saints?

I mean.........I thought it was dumb and wasteful when McDermott took over and didn't franchise Gilmore so they could trade him...........the Broncos have been wasting valuable personnel chips like a desperate NBA team(Lakers for example) the past couple offseasons.

Fair point. When you put it in that context he does appear to already have gone off the rails a few miles back.

• Thank you (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I would guess he wanted to leave.

He interviewed for OC with Baltimore so he clearly wants to be an OC...........and he got passed over for the OC job last year and then they hired Joe Brady to the staff also.........so he probably felt blocked in.

He should be smelling like a rose next hiring season with Trevor and their cast of productive WR's.

Because those guys have $14M and $8M base salaries in 2023, respectively.

Jeudy has a $2.6M base salary.

Ah I didn't think Patrick be paid as much. Yet makes sense why you went with Jeudy then. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, arcane said:

Kromer had an awesome resume and we all hate our offensive line

Also Daboll's was not very compelling when he came here either 

I'm just not sure we can have any idea with position coach hires. Best to just not feel much about it either way 

Daboll - Years with Belichick and was at Alabama the year prior. 

4 hours ago, DJB said:

Also where is @YoloinOhio? I didn’t think he even took time off on Valentine’s Day. Ms Yolo must be happy :)

3 hours ago, ngbills said:

May be a good coach but not sure Denver is the breeding ground for good WR coaches. They have done nothing in his 5 years there. Jeudy has been a disappointment. 

Not a fan of what I've seen of the Denver WR route running.

35 minutes ago, ngbills said:

Daboll - Years with Belichick and was at Alabama the year prior. 

4 years with Belichick buried on the coaching depth chart as the TE coach

Before that 3 pretty uninspiring offenses as the OC for KC, Miami, and the Browns

3 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

So you’re blaming a WR coach you never heard of before today?

Some WRs did develop nicely in Denver.

I always prefer to feel positive so please say more.

What WR developed nicely in Denver?

Edited by Beck Water

2 hours ago, Einstein said:

Well it does not take a genius to understand that his contract expired with the Bills at the end of the 2022 NFL season.

Maybe he or his family is looking for a change.   He was raised in Georgia and Jacksonville is not too far from there.

Just now, SoCal Deek said:

Do we get a discount on a WR Coach seeing as how he doesn’t have to teach any screen passes or combination routes? 

No but he does get a bonus due to needing to deal with inept criticism from fans and press.

If it continues it will become as well known as P*ts comp picks.

3 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Well it does not take a genius to understand that his contract expired with the Bills at the end of the 2022 NFL season.

Maybe he or his family is looking for a change.   He was raised in Georgia and Jacksonville is not too far from there.

No but he does get a bonus due to needing to deal with inept criticism from fans and press.

If it continues it will become as well known as P*ts comp picks.

Lighten up Francis. Do we all have to put the word “sarcasm” on each post for others to get this is all in good fun? 

Just now, SoCal Deek said:

Lighten up Francis. Do we all have to put the word “sarcasm” on each post for others to get this is all in good fun? 

Take a rest Francine.  There is nothing good or fun about cheap shots by Bills fans when we have fans of so many other teams taking cheap shots.

Horns out.

• Disagree 1

6 hours ago, ngbills said:

May be a good coach but not sure Denver is the breeding ground for good WR coaches. They have done nothing in his 5 years there. Jeudy has been a disappointment. 

With Drew Lock, and a not very good Russ Wilson. But when Wilson played better near the end of the season, Jeudy was excellent.

7 hours ago, DJB said:

Also where is @YoloinOhio? I didn’t think he even took time off on Valentine’s Day. Ms Yolo must be happy :)

Happy?  I think he's soul was destroyed after that Bengals loss.

He hasn't been here since.  (That I know of).

He's not the only regular to disappear.

• Sad 1

On 2/14/2023 at 12:27 PM, BADOLBILZ said:

Now add to this it looks like he’s going to hire Wrex despite his extensive familiarity with Rob… WTF is this dude smoking?!?!

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.