When will we adjust to playoff football

wvbillsfan

This happens regularly in the playoffs and I’m ok with refs letting teams play. What I’m not ok with is our inability to adjust to how the game is being called. 

At this point we’ve been to the playoffs enough to know the refs are going to let the game play out and limit the flags

But our defensive backs continue to be 10 yards off the line of scrimmage. 

That axe has to fall on someone. We clearly aren’t learning from situations we’ve been in before. Analytically we are among the best every year but situational football is lacking time and time again. 

Conversely 

Look at the contrast. 

image.thumb.jpeg.e95695fe7e463f1cd7e8666c682a00c1.jpeg

Edited by wvbillsfan
Add photo
  • Angry 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

You need CBs that play that style. Drafting Elam and Benford was sign they know what they need to be, but they were afraid to be it.  

Tre is that style...dude is all over people normally...why the hell play him that far back??

Just now, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I think McDermott just didn’t trust those guys.

So it's better to give up a bunch of free yards and not even try?

KC plays our receivers the exact same way the past two years. They can’t call all of them, and in many cases in the playoffs the refs let things play out more. That’s why we have struggled against not great secondaries the last three years.

It was clear in the regular season game the Bengals wanted to punk us as they played to and through the whistle until the cancellation. They thought they could out tough guy us. We should have been ready for the physicality this week. We will see if we make the adjustment next year… 

Edited by LEBills
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I think McDermott just didn’t trust those guys.

I agree but based off what 

Did we even try to bracket chase and put Elam on Higgins and take our chances 

We just played soft all game and didn’t adjust anything we were doing. 

1 minute ago, LEBills said:

KC plays our receivers the exact same way the past two years. They can’t call all of them, and in many cases in the playoffs the refs let things play out more. That’s why we have struggled against not great secondaries the last three years.

It was clear in the regular season game the Bengals wanted to punk us as they played to and through the whistle until the cancellation. They thought they could out tough guy us. We should have been ready for the physicality this week. We will see if we make the adjustment next year… 

Right it’s every year secondaries do that to us. I’m ok with that but we’ve got to return the favor

Just now, wvbillsfan said:

Right it’s every year secondaries do that to us. I’m ok with that but we’ve got to return the favor

Except they called PI and holding on the Bills in this game in some pretty key spots. I get that the Bills played badly enough that complaining about the refs seems futile, but the fact that their backups on OL didn't have a single offensive holding call defies belief. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

Just now, BruceVilanch said:

That's my biggest complaint with this team right now. We shrink and get bullied in the playoffs, you knew after the first few drives who was dictating that game.

And I understand getting beat in the trenches. There isn’t much you can do there other than increase your protection 

But defensively if you’re gonna blitz to offset getting beat in the trenches then you need to press up a little so teams can’t just play pitch and catch 

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, wvbillsfan said:

This happens regularly in the playoffs and I’m ok with refs letting teams play. What I’m not ok with is our inability to adjust to how the game is being called. 

At this point we’ve been to the playoffs enough to know the refs are going to let the game play out and limit the flags

But our defensive backs continue to be 10 yards off the line of scrimmage. 

That axe has to fall on someone. We clearly aren’t learning from situations we’ve been in before. Analytically we are among the best every year but situational football is lacking time and time again. 

Conversely 

Look at the contrast. 

image.thumb.jpeg.e95695fe7e463f1cd7e8666c682a00c1.jpeg

The ref on the top vid standing right there watching Diggs get hit in the face but lets it slide i bet if Tre did that they would have called it . 

And given who the Bengals have for WR's the Bills needed to jam them at the line as much as possible to disrupt the route .

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, LEBills said:

We are incapable of adjusting.

10 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Oh?

I thought I heard him say he prefers off. That’s not what he said so I stand corrected. I found what he said. He said he doesn’t like to jam WRs with his hands because they can grab and pull him. he likes to use his feet more than hands.

It was an interview where he breaks down film on NFL network.

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede

2 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

Example A. of substandard play like Diggs himself said.   If you know they are going to press you why the hell are you leaning into it?   Jab step and hit the slant.   Slap hands or fight back at the very least.      

Maybe stack so they can’t jam

just little to no adjustments in game for our coaching staff 

• Agree 1

15 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Oh?

So we play that way against tua and the dolphins who have two guys with world class speed but against the bengals we play prevent defense and don’t adjust. 

If our coach hangs hit hat on defense and we continually shrink in big moments then what is the purpose of having a defensive minded head coach

Just go get me an offensive guy that will be here forever and let’s put up 40 a game 

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

True!  But both McD and Frazier are REALLY good at blankly staring while the game slowly gets away from them. We do have that! 

Vs KC and Cincy. Let’s be fair.

3 minutes ago, wvbillsfan said:

So we play that way against tua and the dolphins who have two guys with world class speed but against the bengals we play prevent defense and don’t adjust. 

If our coach hangs hit hat on defense and we continually shrink in big moments then what is the purpose of having a defensive minded head coach

Just go get me an offensive guy that will be here forever and let’s put up 40 a game 

We played everything vs the Bengals. Nothing worked.

Nick Wright had an interesting stat on First Take that I was unaware of… every HC and QB combo that has ever won a Super Bowl has done so within their first 5 years together. Every single one. Which means if McD and Allen go on to win a Super Bowl at some point, they’ll be the first to ever do so after 5 seasons (this year was season 5 for them). 

4 hours ago, JayBaller10 said:

Nick Wright had an interesting stat on First Take that I was unaware of… every HC and QB combo that has ever won a Super Bowl has done so within their first 5 years together. Every single one. Which means if McD and Allen go on to win a Super Bowl at some point, they’ll be the first to ever do so after 5 seasons (this year was season 5 for them). 

The problem is everything about Josh Allen is off. He should not be as good as he is he was a late bloomer.

Any type of metrics trying to measure Josh Allen just doesn’t work

• Thank you (+1) 1

7 hours ago, JayBaller10 said:

Yup.  Our Super Bowl blew up with 13 seconds.  We all knew it then and it still sucks now. The Bills O was unstoppable. They just had to get past that game.  Cinci wasn’t as good then as they are today.  We totally blew it. Should have 1 SB and now history says we won’t get it with this regime. 

7 hours ago, JayBaller10 said:

Perfect ; it’ll be another first for Allen! 

15 minutes ago, CoudyBills said:

Well, next year won't be nearly as stressful in that case.  

Exactly. No reason to be stressed , it’s already over !

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, JayBaller10 said:

That is mind blowing if true.....somebody get that to Pegula.

I am not a "you win in the trenches" advocate.  But I think the reasons the Bills can dominate weaker teams durning the regular season is that most weak teams have a poor pass rush, and Josh Allen combined can overcome our horrible Oline to crush opponents.  However the stronger teams generally have good pass rushes, and even Superman can't overcome an oline that looks like it is playing with 3 linemen on most downs. So we end up getting dominated. The teams best move is to stick with skill players, don't waste another nickle on defense to retain anyone, and build the best possible oline. 

1 hour ago, Chaos said:

Not completely True.  John Madden and Ken Stabler won their first Super Bowl after 7 or 8 years together, in the late 70's.  

I guess the stipulation in the stat is that it has to be 5 years as a starter. Stabler and Madden won after 4 years of Ken as a starter. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.