Should Sean Payton get a phone call?

SCBills

1 hour ago, PetermansRedemption said:

I’m not ready to dump McDermott yet, but I’m close. I give him a fresh start without Frazier and maybe without Dorsey. 

I am of the same opinion.  I think it's time for a change somewhere.  The defense has good players I just think the scheme is wrong.  

1 hour ago, The Jokeman said:

Let's see we have to give a 1st Rounder for him. 

Yeah didn't even think about that.  Another reason a hard no for me.  I'm just not much of a Peyton fan. 

Different if you're a team like Houston who needs alot of work and isn't going to turn it around in one year.  So giving up a 1st rounder, long term won't help that much.  But the Bills are in a win now situation and need draft picks to replace vets that they no longer can afford to keep

McDermott has brought a lot of regular season success to Buffalo, something we hadn’t had in a long time. He’s also a man of high character 

in saying that I will Never forgive him for the 13 second coaching debacle last year.

todays performance in all aspects, including coaching was inexcusable and disgusting.

It can be argued that they owe us fans nothing. I say we deserved better in both cases

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 4

28 minutes ago, Livinginthepast said:

We could do exactly as you suggest and there would be a good chance that it would be enough to take us over the top. But at the same time can you really convince yourself that McD has ever been the difference by making a brilliant call mid game that has WON us a game? I actually thought this time last year after the KC loss and the 13 seconds debacle that McD singlehandedly created, that the Bills should have onside kicked to KC at the start of overtime and at least attempted to recover the ball to win the game because there was no chance in hell we were going to stop them on defense. But of course McD would never do that in a million years. Would other coaches have the balls to do that? In the end if we are going to win despite McD as we seem to do often do and he doesnt offer us anything with his poor game management, then what is the point for keeping him. I dont think he gets canned because Mcbeane doesnt throw him under the bus but todays loss wasnt just on the Bills being beaten up and undermanned it was on the Bills having no coherent defensive plan, no adjustable offensive plan and not being mentally ready. Its up to McD to get all that ready and today he failed spectacularly.

I talked about it in the GDT. But McD is good for one blowout a season. Thought we were over that issue. But today it again reared it’s ugly head. 

I still wouldn’t fire him. This is a good team. McD is a good coach. He isn’t the best game day coach. But he usually has his teams ready. I do worry if we fire him we will go back in the tubes. 

2 hours ago, SCBills said:

I’d be shocked if we fired McDermott, but I think you have to make the phone call off 13 seconds and now this. 

Everyone talking about firing Leslie - nope.  Not going to happen.  

OC - you want this to be a revolving door for the next decade?  

O does awesome - OC gets HC job.  Replace. Repeat.  Hope to win a SB in there somewhere.  

That’s my problem.  I want my QB as comfortable as possible every year with his offensive staff.  

The only option for that is a full house cleaning bring in an offensive HC - but I think this regime gets at least one more year.

What they did this year can’t be overstated enough.  We would look bad as an organization to just move on from them.  

I unfortunately as the OP said easily see it heading that way - it’s almost like with everything they do you still have the impact of 13 seconds hanging over everything.  

And the impact of that loss can’t be overstated enough.  

• Agree 1

28 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

Everyone talking about firing Leslie - nope.  Not going to happen.  

OC - you want this to be a revolving door for the next decade?  

O does awesome - OC gets HC job.  Replace. Repeat.  Hope to win a SB in there somewhere.  

That’s my problem.  I want my QB as comfortable as possible every year with his offensive staff.  

The only option for that is a full house cleaning bring in an offensive HC - but I think this regime gets at least one more year.

What they did this year can’t be overstated enough.  We would look bad as an organization to just move on from them.  

I unfortunately as the OP said easily see it heading that way - it’s almost like with everything they do you still have the impact of 13 seconds hanging over everything.  

And the impact of that loss can’t be overstated enough.  

Can’t be overstated enough. 

People can’t just think because it worked with Brady/Belichick, it would work here. 

Allen will have a revolving door on offense, while Mahomes, Burrow, Lawrence etc all have offensive guys. 

If McD’s Defense is utter garbage in the playoffs, then what is the point?  

He offers nothing that he hasn’t already given us. 

Great man. Built a great program.  I fear he’s reached his apex both functionally as a defensive guy and personally with his coaching style. 

Team needs an overhaul on philosophy this off-season.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, chaccof said:

Not Peyton, call Frank Reich get him in as OC and Asst. HC.....

Hot take: Frank Reich hasn’t stuck around anywhere long enough for me to trust whether or not he’s a very good OC. 

2 bad years in SD. One year out of the playoffs in Philly then another year with Foles. 

He wasn’t the issue in Indy. But also a lot of those decisions fall on him…

3 hours ago, JayBaller10 said:

Payton wants $20M/yr. And has only won 1 SB his entire coaching career. No thanks.

I do think we need to move on from Frazier, no question, and give serious consideration to moving on from Dorsey. 

If you’re getting rid of your two coordinators, why would you even consider keeping your HC?

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Turbo44 said:

It can be argued that they owe us fans nothing. I say we deserved better in both cases

They owe you fans their entire careers. In the case of a guy like McDermott, that also means his life.  His job is his life.

Without fans there is no NFL and the 7 figure salaries go bye-bye.

Then it's back to being a 7th grade gym teacher for most of these guys.

Edited by Nextmanup

3 hours ago, BillsFan130 said:

Yes. He absolutely should.

Mcd is a good coach. But I don’t think he’s the guy to win a SB

Mcd is stability for the franchise.  He needs o line and reciever takent , but if he doesn’t get fresh coordinators , things will keep failing in the postseason.  We are well behind younger staffs now in cincy , maybe Miami , and Reid is way beyond offensively.  Then look at San Fran and the Eagles and we were not a SB contender.  You need a guy ,Ike Mcd to create culture / stability , but creativity is lacking with the coordinators and it shows with embarrassing losses in the playoffs.  You see a franchise like San Fran who gets it , 3/4 years in the championship game with Purdy at qb , and we can’t even sniff a chance to get there.  Wasted a 14-4 season and next years schedule looks brutal on the road.  Beane needs to get Mcd help. Frazier had his chances. Dorsey had one or two innovative or trick plays in a year : Reid does them weekly.  Says a lot. 

I'm a hypocrite, because I started a thread praising McD, which got bumped today.

This is McCarthy/Rodgers all over again.  The Pack lost out on multiple Super Bowls, while Rodgers made his coaches look good and led them to winning seasons.

Winning a SB is a whole different animal. If you go back through history, very few average coaches have won a ring. I think McD has a lot of strengths, but this is 3 years in a row now.

Probably won't happen.  I think he'll probably be here for the long haul. But it's definitely a fear that this is what we'll get - great regular seasons, and early playoff exits.

4 hours ago, SCBills said:

I’d be shocked if we fired McDermott, but I think you have to make the phone call off 13 seconds and now this. 

I dont want McDermott fired but i want him to be HC/DC and Payton as OC.

dont know if Payton would except that role but i think it would do wonders for our offense and Allen.

Also want Greg Roman as run game designer.

Is the ink dry on the Jim Schwartz to the Browns contract?

On top of the playoff failures, the other large disaster has been the mid-season collapse of the team in two consecutive seasons. Our in-ability to have one dominant 14-2 or 15-2 season has cost us the 1 seed in multiple years now. And it's not necessarily about the bye week and home field. It's about getting to play the lowest remaining seed in the divisional round. For two straight years now the Bills had to beat either the Chiefs or the Bengals in the divisional round before even advancing to the conference championship weekend. They have failed twice. Meanwhile, KC gets an easier path this year. I do think the Bengals will beat them though. 

3 hours ago, Turbo44 said:

McDermott has brought a lot of regular season success to Buffalo, something we hadn’t had in a long time. He’s also a man of high character 

in saying that I will Never forgive him for the 13 second coaching debacle last year.

todays performance in all aspects, including coaching was inexcusable and disgusting.

This will boil down to 2 things.

1. We're content with winning enough regular season games to make the playoffs.  Then watch McShottenheimer's defense flame out. 

Or

2. Find a dynamic offensive HC who appreciates the value of surrounding Josh with great offensive talent. We're never sniffing a SB putting a failed defense ahead of giving JA weapons.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.