How confident are you the Bills beat the Bengals?

Steptide

31 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Honestly, I'm pretty confident.  

With Cincy's OL injuries, the edge swings pretty heavily to us.   

I feel way more confident in our secondary going into this match-up, than I did a few weeks ago. 

On Offense, we have the better QB, the healthier/better OL and our weapons look like they're rounding into form at the perfect time.  

Home field is icing on the cake.  

Cincy will come out with an edge, feeling like they were slighted, but with McDermott being a very strong defensive coach.. having that quick look at Cincy's opening game plan a few weeks back isn't inconsequential. 

Their oline injuries do help the Bills. Can't dispute that. However, they went to the Super Bowl last year with a terrible oline. Food for thought there. Can and will the Bills Dline take advantage of this?

Not really sure why you feel way more confident in the Bills secondary now? Tre still looks vulnerable, Elam is a rookie, and Fraizer's zone scheme seems to be a recipe for Burrow to pick apart. Can you explain why you feel more confident? 

I prefer Allen over Burrow because of Allen's physical talent. However, there is no clear advantage here for the Bills. At times, Allen has been reckless with the ball causing terrible turnovers. Just look at the Miami game. He failed to recognize the Miami blitz; which led to missing the hot read; which led to the fumble. Boom 6 points for Miami. Two interceptions as well that just can't happen. Whose fault is was is debatable. Allen has to not turnover the ball! 

I am hoping the Bills coaching staff have a solid game plan. Something different than what we saw in Cinci. 

The home field advantage is a nice edge for the Bills. Obviously, better than going to Cinci. However, you do realize what the Bengals did in last year's Super Bowl run. They know how to win on the road. I see no reason why the Bengals won't be marching into Orchard Park thinking they won't win the game. Their confidence has to be very high and it should be. I'm sure the Bills players are echoing the same sentiment. 

Edited by newcam2012
  • Thank you (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

Their oline injuries do help the Bills. Can't dispute that. However, they went to the Super Bowl last year with a terrible oline. Food for thought there. Can and will the Bills Dline take advantage of this?

Not really sure why you feel way more confident in the Bills secondary now? Tre still looks vulnerable, Elam is a rookie, and Fraizer's zone scheme seems to be a recipe for Burrow to pick apart. Can you explain why you feel more confident? 

I prefer Allen over Burrow because of Allen's physical talent. However, there is no clear advantage here for the Bills. At times, Allen has been reckless with the ball causing terrible turnovers. Just look at the Miami game. He failed to recognize the Miami blitz; which led to missing the hot read; which led to the fumble. Boom 6 points for Miami. Two interceptions as well that just can't happen. Whose fault is was is debatable. Allen has to not turnover the ball! 

I am hoping the Bills coaching staff have a solid game plan. Something different than what we saw in Cinci. 

The home field advantage is a nice edge for the Bills. Obviously, better than going to Cinci. However, you do realize what the Bengals did in last year's Super Bowl run. They know how to win on the road. I see no reason why the Bengals won't be marching into Orchard Park thinking they won't win the game. Their confidence has to be very high and it should be. I'm sure the Bills players are echoing the same sentiment. 

I think the Bengals run to the Super Bowl last year was a bit fluky.  Burrow was basically along for the ride, their defense implemented some tricky concepts that confused Mahomes in that second half and they kicked - what seemed like - 40 field goals.  

Tre looks much better now than he did heading into the first Cincy match-up.  At the very least, he seems to have his confidence back.  Yea, Elam is a rookie, but he balled out in his first ever post-season game.  I have no reason to be down on him, other than he's inexperienced.  He's got talent, and the Bills seem finally ready to let him play out there.. which is especially helpful given they also seem to let him play press man coverage on his side. 

Both QB's have their negatives.  Allen sometimes is careless.  Burrow takes sacks.  If Cincy wants to blitz Allen, go ahead.. you can choose to be worried about it because Miami (like Ravens/Bengals) have the blueprint to hit Allen and turn him over.  I am not.  I know how good Allen can be, and his ceiling is higher than anyone in the league. 

Re: Coaching... AGREED.  If Cincy comes in down 3 OL starters, and our Defense can't slow them down, I'll start to question whether we can win it all with McDermott/Frazier.  There are no excuses, imo, for that to happen. 

• Like (+1) 2

16 hours ago, Steptide said:

I'm at about 65%. I think the bills are the better team overall, but we've watched them shoot themselves in the foot so many times this season. While I think the bills are fully capable of playing a mistake free game, it's hard to comprehend they will. Being at home is a big advantage (I think). 

Step, the 2/3s slant of your 65% I think is an extremely sweet spot.

Yeah...I am more than 50%, but 75% just seems a little much.

Good take right out of the gate, Sir.

Go Bills.

"Can" win? Absolutely. When the Bills offense is clicking no one can stop them whether they want a quick strike or milk the clock. The much maligned defense still finished the season #2 in points allowed.

The problem is when the offense inexplicably goes cold. 

I still like our chances but this is going to be a tight one. 

• Agree 1

That first interception was just a poor decision as Brown did not have his guy beat like he did on that play a couple weeks ago. The 2nd int was just a great defensive play and bounce. So I'm not that worried about interceptions as I am fumbles.  The fumble TD was Josh thinking he was going to shake off the defender who had perfect position on him. He needed to eat the ball on that one.  He also fumbled with 5 min left in game was luckily recovered by Bills, Miami would have likely scored at least a FG and tied the game had they recovered.  And then there was a fumble out of bounds.  Recall that Hines also fumbled a punt that Bills recovered.  But those two Josh fumbles were due to sacks so you can bet Cinci will be blitzing to try and cause mistakes like this. 

• Agree 1

Ok, at first i didnt know how to put it, but I guess now I can kind of explain and put it into words.

I felt confusion earlier in the week.  I kept asking myself, what did just watch?

Really, I cant expalin it, but it fel literally, like someone else explained to me, like I was watching a wrestling match.  A fixed match where Hulkamania is the heavyweight title holder, comes out and dominates, then the people everyone loves, because Hulk was alienating as a champion, would make this HUGE run and start kicking butt, right?

after a half hour of the underdog coming back - the champ finally wins and everyone was like, "Ohhhh that was so close!" when everyone knew that Hulk wasnt coming out of summerslam as the champion

BUT it just felt different.  Im not saying it was scripted, but it left us confused as fans and spectators like, "wait, who are the bills?"

I feel after some thinking about it - that im over the shock of the game and back to where I was week 17. 

I felt the Bengals and the Bills are evenly matched.  Just like they were then for Monday Night - BUT

Its in Buffalo....and yes, it makes a difference.  Even Dion Dawkins mentioned it in his letter - it was intimidating.  Cinci crowd was electric.  Sure they live or those moments, but being at HOME with that energy is definitely different.  

I felt good about how the Bills played withut looking at the score and the dumb 10 minutes of play where we let miami comeback.

I WOULD be more concerned as a cincinatti fan than I am buffalo.  They struggled against the Ravens.  

Huntley was running and connecting.  

Dobbins was running 

And really, this is going to tick those Bengal fans off - they got lucky, yet again - with a 99 yard "fumble TD" that shouldnt have counted with the block in the back.  Ball at the 40 yardline - 3 pts maybe....but at that point the Bengals wreent able to get any drives going.  

The line is hurting Burrow and the Bengals and its definitely a liability.

The Bills?  Relatively healthy, right?  Whatever - survived Miami - moved on - HEALTHY.

Now with a level head and thinking about the match up - im feeling good with the Bills

• Thank you (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, SCBills said:

I think the Bengals run to the Super Bowl last year was a bit fluky.  Burrow was basically along for the ride, their defense implemented some tricky concepts that confused Mahomes in that second half and they kicked - what seemed like - 40 field goals.  

Tre looks much better now than he did heading into the first Cincy match-up.  At the very least, he seems to have his confidence back.  Yea, Elam is a rookie, but he balled out in his first ever post-season game.  I have no reason to be down on him, other than he's inexperienced.  He's got talent, and the Bills seem finally ready to let him play out there.. which is especially helpful given they also seem to let him play press man coverage on his side. 

Both QB's have their negatives.  Allen sometimes is careless.  Burrow takes sacks.  If Cincy wants to blitz Allen, go ahead.. you can choose to be worried about it because Miami (like Ravens/Bengals) have the blueprint to hit Allen and turn him over.  I am not.  I know how good Allen can be, and his ceiling is higher than anyone in the league. 

Re: Coaching... AGREED.  If Cincy comes in down 3 OL starters, and our Defense can't slow them down, I'll start to question whether we can win it all with McDermott/Frazier.  There are no excuses, imo, for that to happen. 

Nice post. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

16 hours ago, BillzFreak said:

Just wondering how come I hear the Bengals have a chip on there shoulder but never hear the Bills do as well? We have 13 seconds from last year that has been talked about to death. Both teams have something to prove and both will come out fired up ready to play. There isn't any less motivation for the Bills then there is for the Bengals. And I'm confident we will show up and win on Sunday, might not be flawless from start to finish but at home we have the edge.

In the media, the Bills and Chiefs have been portrayed as the favorites, last year and this year, despite the Bengals being the ones who beat the Chiefs in Arrowhead and represented the AFC in the Super Bowl.  That's why the Bengals have the perceived chip on their shoulder and the Bills do not.  The Bills were pretty much everyone's preseason favorite.

Edited by msw2112

25 minutes ago, Saint Doug said:

I’m not very comfortable going into this game. Too many mistakes last game and Cincy likely won’t let us get away with it.

This is the game a bunch of us have been warning fans about for 8 or 9 weeks now.

At some point, our sloppy "Hey, I'll take it anyway" wins were always going to come back to bite us in the butt, once we ran into a good enough team in the playoffs.

That day is this Sunday.

HOWEVER, we could get lucky and the Bengals could be off their game too, also making mistakes...

OR, 2) we could FINALLY put it all together and play to the best of our abilities.

Either could result in a Bills win.

No one is going to know a THING about how this is going to play out until the actual game unfolds on Sunday.

Though I guess that's always true...

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.