A nod to Khalil Shakir's focus

Simon

The drop with under 2:00 left in the half which led to the punt return that totally changed the scoreboard was the most negatively impactful play of the game when things went sideways.

A play like that can turn an inexperienced rookie into a hesitant passenger but instead Shakir shook that ***** off, kept it dialed in and ended up making a very difficult and massively important grab that pulled the Bills out of their own end on 3rd down hanging on for dear life with about 6-7 minutes left. It was the Bills biggest offensive play in the 4th qrtr.

Bonus play: While we were all staring at the ball to see if Motor (who never should have been removed from the closer's role like he somewhat has been) had that last 1st down, Shakir was fighting his ass off and had about half the Miami secondary walled off by himself and was the #1 reason that Motor was able to make the line to gain.

• Like (+1) 26
  • Agree 2
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 3

Just now, 947 said:

Shakir needs to be the primary slot WR. The drop was bad, but he's made plays just about every other opportunity he's had.

I really wish there were more of those opportunities.

McKenzie's injury could herald the changing of the guard finally

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

That was a huge catch on 3rd and 10 for the Bills...

Was surprised to see Shakir so involved today...perhaps that was the Bills Duke Williams game plan against the Texans in 2019??

What, you were expecting Beasley to take all of McKenzie’s snaps?

I was expecting it.   Shakir took more snaps the week McKenzie was out after the Ravens game.  I  think we’ll find Beasleys’ snaps increased but Shakir took the majority of them.

26 minutes ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

Shakir has speed and hands, you can see him being the slot receiver for years. 

Only if he can figure out how to get open on the shorter routes.  He’s still a work in progress.

Edited by Beck Water

4 minutes ago, SageAgainstTheMachine said:

I wish I could understand why Playoff Gabe cant be Regular Season Gabe, too, because then we wouldn't need one.  But I agree with you.

Long season...seems to lose focus at times. Postseason he is dialed in.

32 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

What, you were expecting Beasley to take all of McKenzie’s snaps?

I was expecting it.   Shakir took more snaps the week McKenzie was out after the Ravens game.  I  think we’ll find Beasleys’ snaps increased but Shakir took the majority of them.

Only if he can figure out how to get open on the shorter routes.  He’s still a work in progress.

As a rookie I would expect “a work in progress”. 

22 minutes ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

As a rookie I would expect “a work in progress”. 

I Hear You, and hope for a big step between year 1 and 2.  But it’s the reason why his snaps have been limited, which all the people clamoring as though he’s a finished product the coaches inexplicably refuse to start, can’t seem to acknowledge.

And I don’t want to take away from or discount Simon’s OP post because it IS important that his reaction to a ball he could and should have had was to come back focused and contribute a beautiful focused catch so 👍

3 hours ago, Simon said:

The drop with under 2:00 left in the half which led to the punt return that totally changed the scoreboard was the most negatively impactful play of the game when things went sideways.

A play like that can turn an inexperienced rookie into a hesitant passenger but instead Shakir shook that ***** off, kept it dialed in and ended up making a very difficult and massively important grab that pulled the Bills out of their own end on 3rd down hanging on for dear life with about 6-7 minutes left. It was the Bills biggest offensive play in the 4th qrtr.

Bonus play: While we were all staring at the ball to see if Motor (who never should have been removed from the closer's role like he somewhat has been) had that last 1st down, Shakir was fighting his ass off and had about half the Miami secondary walled off by himself and was the #1 reason that Motor was able to make the line to gain.

I’m just glad that they kept him involved. Ended up scoring a touchdown for us today.

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Charles Romes said:

This was the scouting report on shakir. He dropped easy catches in college. That drop was as bad as a turnover and nearly cost the season. 

Yes, the drop nearly cost the season, but one could also say his nice catch saved the season.  These games always come down to big plays and making just ONE more big play than the opponent and Shakir provided one of those important big plays.  I can't be that hard on him.  I like Shakir.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Big Turk said:

Don't need a first rounder for that.

I honestly want us to double dip on OLine. He'll, they can triple dip and I'd love it. We NEED to upgrade both guards and probably RT. I wouldn't be mad with a RD1 WR tho. Gabe can be so infuriating.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, The Jokeman said:

I'd prefer a 1st Round Olineman.

Interesting decision point for draft, OL or WR?  We definitely have a need for both.  

I can't help but think of the Bengals on the clock two years ago when they desperately needed OL help.  Every draft expert projected T Penei Sewell as a natural fit.  Instead they went with WR JaMarr Chase to compliment an already nice looking WR duo of Higgins and Boyd.  Two years later they are defending AFC champs, looking strong again heading into divisional round of playoffs and still needing OL help.  I doubt they have second thoughts about their pick.  Now if we could only get a JaMarr Chase type talent to fall way down the board.

21 minutes ago, cwater10 said:

Interesting decision point for draft, OL or WR?  We definitely have a need for both.  

I can't help but think of the Bengals on the clock two years ago when they desperately needed OL help.  Every draft expert projected T Penei Sewell as a natural fit.  Instead they went with WR JaMarr Chase to compliment an already nice looking WR duo of Higgins and Boyd.  Two years later they are defending AFC champs, looking strong again heading into divisional round of playoffs and still needing OL help.  I doubt they have second thoughts about their pick.  Now if we could only get a JaMarr Chase type talent to fall way down the board.

This doesn’t appear to be a draft where they will find a first round value at WR late in round 1.  It is still early yet for prospect evaluations, so possible for that to change, but right now I’m not sure this is a strong year for WR, unless you are looking for a slot guy - Zay Flowers and Josh Downs both are interesting and Parker Washington could be pretty good, too.

15 minutes ago, cwater10 said:

Primary focus should be OL OL OL. It has held back offense from becoming balanced and forces Josh to carry team. They only look average due to Josh’s ability to escape pressure and make plays on his own. However, as shown yesterday if he doesn’t have great game team can be got. Need balanced running attack to avoid becoming one dimensional.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.