Will DeAndre Hopkins be available this offseason?

NeverOutNick

I saw an interesting mock draft yesterday.  It had Buffalo trading for Hopkins.  The cost?  Buffalo trades #27 to Arizona for Arizona's pick at #34.  That means Buffalo gets Hopkins by dropping seven spots to the top of the second round.  The big sticking point, that the mock draft doesn't get in to is what Beane has to do in the way of salary rewrites to manage the cap implications of paying Hopkins.

16 minutes ago, BigAl2526 said:

I saw an interesting mock draft yesterday.  It had Buffalo trading for Hopkins.  The cost?  Buffalo trades #27 to Arizona for Arizona's pick at #34.  That means Buffalo gets Hopkins by dropping seven spots to the top of the second round.  The big sticking point, that the mock draft doesn't get in to is what Beane has to do in the way of salary rewrites to manage the cap implications of paying Hopkins.

Trading down from 27 to 34 would amount to the cost of roughly a third round pick. That seems like fair value but you are correct how would the deal be structured?

Just now, billsfan89 said:

Trading down from 27 to 34 would amount to the cost of roughly a third round pick. That seems like fair value but you are correct how would the deal be structured?

I don't know, but in the mock 3.0 we traded Ed Oliver along with pick 27 for Hopkins and 34. Trading Ed helped make the cap work.

5 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

I don't know, but in the mock 3.0 we traded Ed Oliver along with pick 27 for Hopkins and 34. Trading Ed helped make the cap work.

That would be a horrible trade . Giving Ed & a 3rd for Hopkins. Would be a laughingstock of the league 

• Haha (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

Really would like to keep Ed if possible, that 5th year lay it all ou for the next contract could be a boon for us.

• Like (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, jimmy10 said:

It’s all a distraction. The real story? We’re finally acquiring John Skelton. 

Mario Williams making a comeback to complete the trade?

2 minutes ago, Paul Costa said:

That would be a horrible trade . Giving Ed & a 3rd for Hopkins. Would be a laughingstock of the league 

I think we get Hopkins & a 2nd for a 1st & 3rd. Then we trade Oliver to Chicago for 33.

• Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

Trade Oliver for a mid-round pick to clear 10M in salary. 

Use pick 34 or 59 on a DT.  

1) To replace Oliver.

2) So we have a DT under contract beyond this year.  

3)  If they plan on going small at LB, it’s not ideal to also have a small 3T. 

But, hey.. if they trade Oliver somewhere to facilitate a trade-down Hopkins acquisition, by all means McBeane, draft a DT and a LB in RD2.  

If they truly are hellbent on extending Davis .. that still works.  His cap hit can be managed in ‘24 while Hopkins is still on the books for 15M. 

7 minutes ago, Dan in Owego said:

Really would like to keep Ed if possible, that 5th year lay it all ou for the next contract could be a boon for us.

I agree. I don't think it would be necessary and we are already looking at DT as probably one of the early picks. But that is how the trade was specified in the mock. I stated in the thread it was an overpay and various reasons why Oliver should be kept.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Warriorspikes51 said:

It’s reasonably possible that he could have connections since he is an actual WR coach. 

It’s certainly odd for him to break it. That said, he’s in the industry and it’s not a good look if he puts this out ther and is wrong (not a great look if he’s right).

15 minutes ago, TOboy said:

It’s certainly odd for him to break it. That said, he’s in the industry and it’s not a good look if he puts this out ther and is wrong (not a great look if he’s right).

Only person allowed to do that and still have our unconditional love is Von. 

Hop isn’t shy about wanting to join the Bills, that is the only reason why I think this may happen. I also think his comments fuel these BS Twitter insiders we have to deal with every year. IC Bob was ahead of him time. 

Edited by TheyCallMeAndy

29 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

FWIW this guy is the Canisius WR Coach and previously said (in March) that Bills were not in on Hopkins

Now we got a high school WR coach in the know? That's like 1 step up from ball boy. Sounds like wishful thinking