"Unknown" high ranking official from Bills or Bengals trashes NFL and Troy Vincent for response

Big Turk

It’s funny as I was at one of my favorite sports restaurants Sunday afternoon and an acquaintance friend starte in on me The Bills, the Bengals, and the league was wrong not to resume the game.  Normally, he’s a decent guy and I think he was trying to get me to agree.

I did the exact opposite.  I used just logical arguments and brought up details of how events laid out.  Finally, I slightly raised my voice “Chuck, he basically was dead for 9 minutes and thankfully the first responders saved his life!”.  “How do you think any player or coach for that matter could’ve continued”.  He maintained until two of the women and another guy chimed in and told him they had to resuscitate him again at the ED.

He finally came off his soap box as he knows how passionate I am about the Bills, and another good friend for his Bears as he was born and raised in Chicago.  Finally I just said to Chuck if McD would’ve gone along with playing he would’ve permanently lost his locker room.

So if Vincent behind the scenes was advocating to resume play he and the league would’ve been crucified by the national and international media.  Not just the sports media, but Good Morning America, the Today Show, etc., etc.

I also said Chuck I want you to read something.  I showed him Skip Baylee’s comments, and the barrage of insanely passionate responses by current and past NFL players.  I encouraged him to keep reading all of the “You are sick remarks”. I said Do you want to latch your horse to that argument?  He seems to realize finally how on the wrong his comments were and let it go.

Amyway, I just wanted to share there are some idiots who really take that position, and how much heat any of us would catch for thinking am NFL game is worth more than a man’s life.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

It must be because the majority of the people in r/nfl were praising the nfl for handling it perfectly and anyone suggesting the nfl wanted to continue the game was pretty much attacked lol.  Maybe we have a different perspective in Bills world 

the theory was ‘joe Buck misrepresented the normal ambulance protocol as what was happening currently on the field’ but ESPN stuck to their guns so that went out the window pretty fast 

I was told ‘so you actually think ESPN broadcasters have a way to communicate with the league office?’ many times and the answer to that was clearly a yes lol

You may have been talking to NFL shills or bots on Reddit. 

Ever have a gung-ho coworker who is always pounding the tables for the rights of the workers?  Then, the minute management puts them in a supervisory or administrative role, they become the biggest toady and corporate shill?  One of the most disingenuous types you'll encounter in the real world.  Strikes me somewhat like this Mr. Vincent. 🤨

• Like (+1) 5

All Troy Vincent had to say was "We didn't realize the full seriousness of this unprecedented situation until we heard from all parties on site and that's why we eventually decided as a collective unit to suspend the game.  We should've done it sooner and not leaned so heavily on previous protocols."  People are willing to forgive but he for some reason decided to go full cover up mode which apparently included lying and throwing other people under the bus.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Big Turk said:

It's kinda hard to justify how you could claim you believe one thing and fight hard for it to the other side and then switch sides to fight hard for something that is diametrically opposed to what his initial fight was for.

Benedict Arnold or Judas comes to mind.

The love of money makes people do all kinds of things. I wonder which is more powerful, the love of money or the va-jay-jay? 

• Haha (+1) 1

I truly believe this is being blown wayyyy out of proportion. The NfL ultimately came down to the right decision. This is a hit piece. 

Eric Wood was in the Dan Patrick show and said it best when he said that there should be a certain amount of grace shown in such a difficult circumstance. 

why are we looking to blame someone for the right decision being made? 

• Thank you (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

All Troy Vincent had to say was "We didn't realize the full seriousness of this unprecedented situation until we heard from all parties on site and that's why we eventually decided as a collective unit to suspend the game.  We should've done it sooner and not leaned so heavily on previous protocols."  People are willing to forgive but he for some reason decided to go full cover up mode which apparently included lying and throwing other people under the bus.

Yeah. This was a total layup and Vincent went out there and lied anyway. Now he and others will have to be terminated. As a society we have to restore accountability or we have nothing.

42 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

Exactly.  It’s not the lie it’s the coverup.  The NFL makes this same unforced error over and over and over and over again to no end.

• Like (+1) 4

7 hours ago, Big Turk said:

It's kinda hard to justify how you could claim you believe one thing and fight hard for it to the other side and then switch sides to fight hard for something that is diametrically opposed to what his initial fight was for.

Benedict Arnold or Judas comes to mind.

Vincent got replaced then investigated by NFLPA for shady stuff he was doing. The league couldn’t wait to sign him on their side. 

7 hours ago, Last Guy on the Bench said:

Not saying it wasn't some Bills official or other, though I tend to doubt it, given the culture there. But that quote really doesn't have the vibe of Bean or McDermott anyway. I would be completely shocked if it were one of them. Can't see them sounding off to a reporter in that tone. Way out of character.

I disagree.  This reads like Brandon Beane all day long.  And, if it's Beane, good for him.  Somebody had to say something. 

A little nugget on Vincent.  He is the guy who broke JP Losman's leg.  And it was a hit job.  The older guys, particularly the defensive players, were tired of Losman running his mouth in camp.  So Vincent smoked him late and broke his leg because he's the guy who could get away with it.  When he (Vincent) was here he had the ambition of becoming a billionaire, and Ralph used to pull him from practice to take him to lunch.  

Edited by SectionC3
  • Agree 1

The worst part is 5 minutes of thought probably leads to a statement from the NFL containing the last couple sentences of the article.  Who are the NFL PR people?

48 minutes ago, VaMilBill said:

I truly believe this is being blown wayyyy out of proportion. The NfL ultimately came down to the right decision. This is a hit piece. 

Eric Wood was in the Dan Patrick show and said it best when he said that there should be a certain amount of grace shown in such a difficult circumstance. 

why are we looking to blame someone for the right decision being made? 

ESPN v NFL pissing contest

Yes, Beane runs a tight ship.  But I think he wanted certain people to be called out publicly.  And while one could guess it was him or not, folks he’s calling out won’t know for sure, since he stayed anonymous.

A reminder of who Brandon Beane is at heart (competitive and hot-headed):

https://www.newyorkupstate.com/buffalo-bills/2017/06/betting_on_himself_the_untold_story_of_brandon_beanes_unlikely_rise_to_buffalo_b.html

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, strive_for_five_guy said:

Yes, Beane runs a tight ship.  But I think he wanted certain people to be called out publicly.  And while one could guess it was him or not, folks he’s calling out won’t know for sure, since he stayed anonymous.

A reminder of who Brandon Beane is at heart (competitive and hot-headed):

https://www.newyorkupstate.com/buffalo-bills/2017/06/betting_on_himself_the_untold_story_of_brandon_beanes_unlikely_rise_to_buffalo_b.html

Haha...five years later it doesn't seem so reckless I bet 

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Big Turk said:

Wow...some more in depth info regarding what actually happened from an "unknown" high ranking official on either the Bills or Bengals. My bet is the Bills.

Just absolutely trashes the NFL and Troy Vincent and says Dawn Aponte, the NFL representative at the game "held the line hard" even as Vincent tried to force her to make them resume play...

Also claimed they weren't going back out on the field to play even if the "Lord himself came down" and that the Bills and Bengals decided to stop playing that game not the NFL.

I'm not surprised. NFL is the king of doing one thing and then trying to gloss over it and make it appear they were doing the opposite once it happens. All they care about is the "appearance" of doing the right thing, not actually doing it.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/nfl-vs-espn-over-whether-025927564.html

I have a hard time getting worked up from people looking in the rear view mirror....it was an unprecedented situation and was resolved correctly after a short time period....the aggrievement industrial  complex lives on....

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Beck Water said:

So Troy Vincent played for the Bills for 3 years from 2004 to 2006.  He is the player who broke JP Losman’s leg during his rookie year.

The whole bit about Troy Vincent being the wrong person in the wrong position at the wrong time, “he wants to be the hero but he will never take accountability”, sounds like someone who has formed an opinion about Troy Vincent from personal experience with him. - possibly while Vincent was in Buffalo and did not take responsibility for breaking the leg of a red-shirted player who was intended to be the team’s QB of the future.

I’m not sure who that would be, but probably someone who’s been around the Bills for 14-15 years.

Edit: I agree with you that would ABSOLUTELY not be McDermott who said that about the Lord coming down, pretty sure he would consider that. blasphemous.  Beane is also much too politically savvy to go “off the record” with stuff that might put him in an adversarial position with the NFL or disadvantage his team with the NFL, and it doesn’t sound like his word use.

It's that ol' rascal Russ Brandon again, isn't it?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.