"Unknown" high ranking official from Bills or Bengals trashes NFL and Troy Vincent for response

Big Turk

I've been saying this , all Vincent and the NFL had to say was that they initially wanted them to resume, this was uncharted waters etc and we ultimately decided that it was best to leave it in the teams hand for a final decision. Easy. They may have received some criticism but now they have egg on their face

I've been mad since Tues morning when the story broke. But all that matters is Damar is recovering with great speed and we move on to Miami 

• Agree 1

sounds to me like a Cincinnati source.....

#1- the person is very upset with the league and has an axe to grind. the league screwed the bengals with the possibilty of a coin flip losing home field to the ravens for their first playoff game. HC Taylor was on record of being very unhappy about these scenarios. bengals executive and competition comittee member katie blackburn  openly lobbied other owners to vote against those proposals. it was mcdermott who first said to Taylor "i need to be at the hospital with demar. i shouldn't be coaching". Taylor showed great sportsmanship and put up zero resistence. only to get the short end of the stick latter. 

#2- the league protected the bills interests in every way, they weren't upset.  i have never once known beane and mcdermott not taking the high road in delicate matters. just cant imagine them throwing Vincent under the bus.

here's what i think.....vincent told someone in the corporate officiating office to get the on field referees ready to restart. that was comunicated to those officials and the  broadcast booth rules referee. the rules guy told buck and aikman. vincent told no one directly from either team to get ready (cause he was only talking to Dawn Aponte). thats his wiggle room.  this will never get settled until the on site league official Dawn Aponte chimes in.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

All Troy Vincent had to say was "We didn't realize the full seriousness of this unprecedented situation until we heard from all parties on site and that's why we eventually decided as a collective unit to suspend the game.  We should've done it sooner and not leaned so heavily on previous protocols."  People are willing to forgive but he for some reason decided to go full cover up mode which apparently included lying and throwing other people under the bus.

True, but I've worked around a bunch of highly-educated people would would trip over their own shoelaces exactly like Vincent did here.  It's not even technically a "rookie mistake" because I've seen very senior people do this.

Don't think that Troy had no contact with Goodell over the matter as well. His greasy little paws are in on this also. Good for Aponte. She showed true character, sensitivity, and class. I also appreciate Zach Taylor and the Bengals for how they handled the situation. No one has ever basically died on the field before and that is exactly what happened 8 days ago. To think that the Bills players/coaches/staff could have just shaken that off and continued is ridiculous. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, papazoid said:

here's what i think.....vincent told someone in the corporate officiating office to get the on field referees ready to restart. that was comunicated to those officials and the  broadcast booth rules referee. the rules guy told buck and aikman. vincent told no one directly from either team to get ready (cause he was only talking to Dawn Aponte). thats his wiggle room.  this will never get settled until the on site league official Dawn Aponte chimes in.

I for one am glad that Dawn Aponte stood up for the coaches and players’ perspectives here.  Maybe being a woman and onsite made her more empathetic to the situation.  Struggling to see how Vincent - a former Union executive and player team rep while playing - would not have understood that the game couldn’t go on.  

Thank God things worked out the way they did. 

Edited by freddyjj
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

9 hours ago, Billznut said:

Hopefully they won’t be able to determine who the source was, especially if it’s a Bills source, which I think most likely it was. Beane was standing directly behind McDermott when he was doing the phone call with Aponte and Zac Taylor in the tunnel when they kept showing video of that on MNF that night. I don’t want the Bills to have to fear retribution from the league or Vincent because of them doing the right thing that night when the league was clearly pushing otherwise. 

Bengals refused to play as well

9 hours ago, BigDingus said:

Didn't realize Troy Vincent was so disliked. 

So much for the idea that the NFLPA is looking out for the best interest of the players 🤨

Considering that he broke the leg of his own QB in practice "accidently" I have always found his decision making abilities questionable.

I think we all knew what happened from the NFL "command center" but it's interesting to see it in writing.

As for the Bengals, they were infuriated with the coin toss scenario, but it goes deeper.  The Bills were basically stripped of control of the #1 seed and bye.. Ok, that's a league decision they have to live with, but if they match up with KC it's at least at a neutral field.

Correct me if I'm wrong but if all results from week 18 remained the same, and if Cinci had beaten Buffalo on MNF, a potential divisional matchup would be in Cincinnati.  So if I'm the Bengals I'd still be fairly pissed off that playing the Bills would not at least be on a neutral field as well.

9 hours ago, BillnutinHouston said:

I disagree.  The Bengals reps were in the hallway also, and it's the Bengals who are most upset at the league's  seeding proposal, thus (in my opinion) are the ones most likely to be sniping at the league at this point.

The "solution" of the NFL seemed to disfavor both the Bengals and Bills but hopefully if Bills feel that way they can return to the attitude "us against the world".

9 minutes ago, nucci said:

Bengals refused to play as well

Yeah, but no "Deep Throat" from the Bengals has been "off the record" contradicting Troy Vincent's "that would insensitive" story

'Course officially, no one from the Bills has done that either...

That would be the reason to fear "retribution" of a subtle sort

Oh my, the robot pieces of **** acting like robot pieces of **** only to express false incredulity at any insinuation that they might be robot pieces of ****.

(goes over notes)

Yep, they were who we thought they were regardless of the words that were coming out of their mouths contradicting the actions we all knew they were taking.

• Agree 1

While I have zero doubt this is true, this is typical behavior from "diva" players or former players, and certainly amongst most uber-rich owners. Accountability is not something that these guys understand. They have been coddled since a very early age and learned that they can get away with anything they want. This is not to say that amongst the rank and file there aren't many very good souls. However, at the top they are mostly selfish, narcissistic a$$holes.

I am so glad that Josh is not one of those coddled pr!cks.

the truth of the matter is it didnt make any difference what Troy Vincent wanted on Monday night. You cannot hold a football game

with no players. We in the GDT were in agreement overall it was **** this game The Bills could  have walked off the field and  taken a

Forfeit and told the NFL to **** it and we'd have understood that 100%.

I am  grateful that the smarter classier heads prevailed and stopped the game. The Bengals in my book are the bungles no more.

as far as Troy Vincent is concerned He is so replaceable.

Edited by muppy
  • Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, strive_for_five_guy said:

Hey Troy, the truth will set you free!

Isn’t Troy Vincent the guy who broke his teams starting QBs leg with a cheap shot during a practice, Hell of a guy…, 

That and the NFLPA is basically the lap dog to the league/Owners, a spineless organization on its best day. 

Edited by Don Otreply

9 hours ago, Billznut said:

Hopefully they won’t be able to determine who the source was, especially if it’s a Bills source, which I think most likely it was. Beane was standing directly behind McDermott when he was doing the phone call with Aponte and Zac Taylor in the tunnel when they kept showing video of that on MNF that night. I don’t want the Bills to have to fear retribution from the league or Vincent because of them doing the right thing that night when the league was clearly pushing otherwise. 

Yeah I feel like the whole story gets leaked to unsettle either BUF or CIN. ESPN, the Worldwide Leader in all things Chiefs.

To my knowledge no nfl game has ever been stopped a game like this was.  And while this situation was “different” I am not surprised people assumed the game would resume because that is always what has happened.  Guys have been paralyzed, CPR in 1998..  The world has changed on things like this in a good way but 20 years ago the game probably continues.  I don’t hold it against anyone who was asking for the game to resume at first.   However the lying is ridiculous….just put a statement together that after further consideration and input from the teams we decided to not resume at this time.  

• Like (+1) 1

This is 100% a Bengals source.  They got screwed over the most in this situation and Brown has always been a bit of an outcast amongst the other owners. But good for them, NFL’s hypocrisy needed to be called out.  A man dying on the field in front of a prime time audience is the League’s worst fear.  Not because a man died, but because it would devastating for business.  It’s the scene from Trading Places in the commodities pit where they’re wheeling the old billionaire off in a stretcher and he’s yelling to get the traders back in here.  More worried about they’re money than anything else.  

Edited by BuffaloRebound
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

9 hours ago, Playoffs? said:

If that was a Bills member, really wish they could’ve waited until after the season… and then blow up the NFL!  

It’s not too far fetched to think that the NFL will go out of its way to find a way to screw the Bills now.  It’s like calling out the mob boss. 

The NFL / League is the Owners. 

it is pretty damn funny that some don’t seam to understand this, it’s the owners who are making / endorsing these decisions / actions. 

On a separate, but aligned note on this topic.  As the situation was unfolding on MNF and the teams had left the field, I started switching around to various channels to see if they were covering it.  CNN, MSNBC and Fox News all had moved from their regular programs to cover the situation.  At this time on Monday night Hannity, Tucker Carlson and Rachel Maddow are on, who are their highest drawing shows respectively. 

On the NFL Network.... replay of the Chiefs game from Sunday was playing.  There was a chyron scrolling across the bottom, but no specialty studio coverage

• Like (+1) 3

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.