Official: (Bengals) Game will not be resumed this week UPDATE: OFFICIALLY CANCELLED

Process

5 minutes ago, MasterStrategist said:

No.

1st sentence of press release says "for the AFCG, if both teams played an unequal number of games..."

1. We only play Cincy in Afcg: if Buff wins and KC loses (hence Bills jump to 1 seed).  All other scenarios, we'd play Bengals in Divisional round (if both teams advance)

2. Since we play same number of games as Cincy, the "neutral field" discussion becomes void for Afcg.

As biased as I am toward Bills, this really screws over Cincy.  Helps KC, but also helps us.  With a win Sunday....worst case: home/home/neutral.  Best: bye/home/home.  

Everyone can argue that we'd have won or lost against Cincy, but nobody knows how things would have gone.  

I'm just happy with today's Damar news + this outcome, which is reasonable enough for me.

Saying this another way...

*potentially*, we lose the bye week but guarantee that we don't have to play an "away" playoff game.  

To me, that's a pretty fair tradeoff.  Beating Cincy was no guarantee, although I still liked our chances.  I do like the idea of not having to play on the road.

Edited by MasterStrategist
  • Agree 1

Just now, Ta111 said:

Not if KC loses and we win. Bills are then the 1 seed.

of course but I am referring to if the Chiefs win and the Bills win. Then Chiefs still get the bye week (win percentage) but AFCCG is played at neutral site? So we get special consideration why? Chiefs have the better win percentage in that scenario, they should get both.

This picking and choosing the advantages of being #1 seed is just ridiculous. Just make the Bengals/Bills game up. Kick the playoffs a week back and move the pro bowl to week after Super Bowl.

• Disagree 1

Lots of Cinci fans went from being sympathetic to mad after this press release. They feel they are being screwed. 

The thing is, Buffalo actually had control of the #1 seed destiny heading into the Bengals game.  Then Cinci took a 7-3 lead and got to the Bills 48 before disaster struck.  Plus Buffalo was down 2 defensive backs.  So by Bengals fans rationale they were going to win, which you definitely cannot say for sure.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

22 minutes ago, Caesar said:

Chiefs fans gifted a #1 seed and you guys are not in too bad a shape.  I'll be in our trailer park, poverty franchise with my Bengals gear on wait to coin flip home field as the division winner...... we will never get any respect no matter how many games we win.    If we dont make it please destroy KC.

Not just yet Caesar - let's see what the Raiders can do.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, What a Tuel said:

of course but I am referring to if the Chiefs win and the Bills win. Then Chiefs still get the bye week (win percentage) but AFCCG is played at neutral site? So we get special consideration why? Chiefs have the better win percentage in that scenario, they should get both.

This picking and choosing the advantages of being #1 seed is just ridiculous. Just make the Bengals/Bills game up. Kick the playoffs a week back and move the pro bowl to week after Super Bowl.

They don’t want to kick the playoffs back since it affects the entire league. This way they’re only messing with 3 teams.

Yes, we will in all likelihood (because KC will almost certainly beat the Raiders) play the WC game. But...

We missed over 3 quarters of football playing Cinci. Yes, we had an enormous injury plus a substantial one to Johnson but anything could have happened — to Josh, Steph, Milano, the O-line — in the last 3-plus quarters.

So we trade that for a game against an opponent we should easily beat in the WC game. If we don't, we weren't Super Bowl caliber anyway. Yes, chances of an injury in that WC game but we missed over 3 quarters of football against a tough opponent, so it's almost a wash.

Focus on the positive: it looks like Damar is going to be good, and we don't play at Arrowhead. This team will be fiercely united this playoff run. If there was ever an extra intangible motivation, bonding over Damar is it.

I'd be scared as hell to play the Bills in any round this year.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, What a Tuel said:

That's the other thing. They are instituting this decision and giving the Bengals the division championship before the game Sunday? If Ravens happen to pull off an upset it is going to be a shitshow.

This proposal is full of holes (it remains to be seen whether knowingly or not).

2 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Why not Detroit? It's a dome.

I had heard that Ford Field was rented out for an event after the Lions were eliminated from the possibility of hosting the NFC Championship.  I don't think it's an option.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.