Damar Hamlin - Now (1/11/2023) discharged from Buf Gen & “recovering at home”

SDS

1 minute ago, Success said:

I've always liked Ryan Clark - but this has been his best moment.  Just straight from the heart.  I'm still kind of crying & feeling devastated, and it's comforting.

Tomlin refused to allow Clark to play anymore and basically forced him to retire because he couldn't live with himself if something were to happen even after doctors tried to clear him and Clark said he wanted to play.

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

Which, good on them, but the league should have stepped in. Shame on them for leaving it to people on the ground where the emotion is most raw to do the decent thing.

The league didn't leave it to them.

The league's response was to resume the game after a 5 minute delay.

Not sure how closely you are following this on ESPN but this point is fairly clear from the reporting there.

The players/teams/coaches then told the league "NO, we are not playing again tonight."

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Big Turk said:

Wow...the NFL and Goodell should be ashamed of themselves and the owners should remove him ASAP 

to be honest, i give the NFL a bit of a pass.  Probably messed up. But I am also not sure they had all the info and I think as the seriousness escalated, they figured it out. In these crisis situations, communication mistakes are often made as information is discovered. 

• Like (+1) 7

Just now, Billznut said:

And this is what most of us have been saying about the NFL the past two hours. Still those here defending the NFL. The NFL wanted to play tonight. F them. 

You have no idea who wanted or didn't want to do what.

• Like (+1) 8
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, JGMcD2 said:

It was McDermott’s reaction for me. He’s always so calm no matter the situation.

He was visibly distraught. 

Same.  Pretty sure I saw him saying a prayer to himself before they cut to a teary-eyed Josh.   

That's when the gravity of the situation hit me.

• Agree 2

3 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

maybe. 

but while the first 30 mins seemed like an eternity for us- the guys at the league office (many of whom were likely at home) trying to coordinate with the nflpa, coaches, officials, medics, stadium personnel, ESPN, etc… probably barely remember it from the number of conversations they were coordinating with little to no info. Emergency response is imperfect, and most likely had no idea what they were dealing with until the moment you and I did. We just watched a terrible situation unfold in real time on tv and short of a headline that the league office was inappropriately pushing til the last minute, I don’t see the upside in vilifying them.

The reports of ‘the coaches/players had to stop the nfl from continuing the game’ seem to be slowly transitioning from rumor towards fact.  I take reporters on twitter with a grain of salt but there are a lot of them claiming they have sources indicating that is the case. 

definitely can’t claim it’s a fact yet though and everything does tend to get exaggerated in the moment 

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan
  • Agree 3

23 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

they are also the only ones who actually have to make the call and send logistics through a full chain of people for approval and execution in real time.

”hey let them stretch while we get real time updates” isn’t crazy. Hell, goodell knew less than the coaches in that moment. 

the nfl made the right call tonight, even if not movie script perfect in getting there. It’s easy to want to be angry at someone but no one truly did anything wrong tonight it seems. 

Exactly Correct - wish I could like this x 1000.

Real time the NFL doesn’t have all the facts - the standard after this is to give the players 5 minutes and the coaches and Referees realized that was not going to happen.

The game was officially called at 10:01, but they showed stuff at 9:30 to 9:45 that players were changing at that point they knew the game was done well before it was announced.

You can be ticked at the NFL, but they worked with the team as they should and they made the correct call.  

People want to lay blame, but the truth is they got it right and the coaches and teams directed the decision as they should.

• Like (+1) 3

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.