Mitch Morse Clears Concussion Protocol

babulator

7 hours ago, Nephilim17 said:

You can bet his wife and kids (if old enough to understand what's at stake) do... Good guy. I really hope he's not putting his long-term wellness in jeopardy right now.

If his wife isn’t old enough to understand, he’s got bigger problems than we thought…😬

• Agree 1

23 minutes ago, ticketssince61 said:

He has had his bell rung way too many times - he should retire regardless of if he gets a ring

While we can all have our own takes on this issue, we should also take into consideration how many concussions STILL go undiagnosed (or apparently mis-diagnosed, given the ongoing joke/tragedy of Tua being in protocol for only his 2nd concussion* this season) over the long span of an athlete's career. 

This is not meant to minimize Morse's injury history, but instead to suggest we're in fact simultaneously overlooking a much larger endemic of brain injuries amongst athletes at ALL levels. The concussions we know about are likely only a fraction of the story for so many NFL players. We should likewise guard against sanctimonious takes regarding Mitch Morse's long term health, who has at least had to pass documented protocols for the diagnosed concussions he has suffered. Imagine the disparate experiences of promising youth, amateur, high school, college, and semi-pro football players...

*We ALL agree Tua's neck/back injury against the Bills is a complete sham, yes? He was obviously concussed, which makes this most recent injury his 3rd. No one (other than Dolphins leadership) actually disputes this fact, right?

Edited by Richard Noggin

4 minutes ago, Udubalum07 said:

This is a different line with Mitch. The Bills don't have a great backup for him. 

Agreed that Mitch appears to tidy up pass protection better than his backups. But it is fair to at least question the line's run blocking efficacy with him on the field versus not. The team HAS run the ball fairly well in Morse's absences. The sample size and prevalence of variables makes it very difficult to draw definitive conclusions from that sort of observation, however. 

For example, the Bears begged the Bills to run and when we obliged, it mostly worked well. So we can't overvalue last week's rushing success due to context. 

7 hours ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

And with VanRoten on the field too?  Hard top imagine he's an improvement, but the numbers don't lie

Wonder if it has more to do with sandwhiching experience between two lesser experienced players? This was my concern with putting Bates on the right side next to Brown.

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, Mango said:

“I am so glad this staff is more cautious about injuries than those turds in Miami. That would never happen here” 

-TBD posters commenting on the Dolphins after Tua was cleared to play twice by Doctors. 

“So glad Morse is playing. We need him in there if we are going to have a shot”

-TBD posters after Mitch Morse is cleared after only 5 days from suffering his 6th NFL concussion

Stay classy guys…

5 days??? It was 12 days since he was concussed. 

Stay informed guy...

6 hours ago, Richard Noggin said:

While we can all have our own takes on this issue, we should also take into consideration how many concussions STILL go undiagnosed (or apparently mis-diagnosed, given the ongoing joke/tragedy of Tua being in protocol for only his 2nd concussion* this season) over the long span of an athlete's career. 

This is not meant to minimize Morse's injury history, but instead to suggest we're in fact simultaneously overlooking a much larger endemic of brain injuries amongst athletes at ALL levels. The concussions we know about are likely only a fraction of the story for so many NFL players. We should likewise guard against sanctimonious takes regarding Mitch Morse's long term health, who has at least had to pass documented protocols for the diagnosed concussions he has suffered. Imagine the disparate experiences of promising youth, amateur, high school, college, and semi-pro football players...

*We ALL agree Tua's neck/back injury against the Bills is a complete sham, yes? He was obviously concussed, which makes this most recent injury his 3rd. No one (other than Dolphins leadership) actually disputes this fact, right?

I think they are counting this as Tua's 2nd concussion, because he never got over the first one. He played a game and a half within 4 days. No way he was cleared of the first "back injury" concussion. Miami is a clown show.

Edited by Bubba Gump
  • Like (+1) 1

I am GRATEFUL he has cleared protocol so quickly. I feared a worse timeline.

It is one of those things you have to trust your Dr's and leave it in their hands to decide when he is ready. He had a pretty long run with no concussions. I hope it carries forward!

18 hours ago, Beast said:

I remember that game in 2018 when Barkley played and the passing game actually looked awesome without Allen.

Point well taken.

Just because he cleared protocol doesnt mean he is playing (unless I missed some statement saying he would play) , i think everyone should slow down on the assumption he will.

9 hours ago, Wadhams said:

Can someone please compel this guy to switch to the VICIS Trench.

I think the Bills are competent enough to provide Mitch with the best equipment available.

19 hours ago, Mango said:

“I am so glad this staff is more cautious about injuries than those turds in Miami. That would never happen here” 

-TBD posters commenting on the Dolphins after Tua was cleared to play twice by Doctors. 

“So glad Morse is playing. We need him in there if we are going to have a shot”

-TBD posters after Mitch Morse is cleared after only 5 days from suffering his 6th NFL concussion

Stay classy guys…

EDIT: This is a dumb post. I think I paused time with the Blizzard. It was definitely not 5 days. He got injured the week before. I will not delete and I will leave this post in shame....

Bumping my own shame. I am an idiot. Many of you pointed that out.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 1

If he still wants to continue why doesn't he along with others in the NFL get a helmet like the one Mark Kelso wore ? I assume that the entire reason why Kelso wore that was for concussion purposes & seeing as Mitch has had 6 to this point why not have them look into it .

I would think given all the new safety rules about hits if head issues a persistent the NFL might tell a player you need to wear this if you want to continue for your safety & your life after football . The helmet didn't look all that bad when Kelso had it - different but not terrible .

6 hours ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

I think the Bills are competent enough to provide Mitch with the best equipment available.

Recalling the Antonio Brown helmet fiasco, I believe players are responsible for selecting their own helmet from a league approved list.

5 hours ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

That's because WE CAN RUN THE BALL.... it's just that Dorsey chooses NOT TO STICK WITH IT.

Bills lead the league in rushing yard per attempt at 5.3 yards but are 14th in rush attempts.  That is partially deceiving as much of that is off long gains by Allen.  But also seems like the Bills either gain 10 yards on a run or are stopped for a loss so not sure rushing too often is a good idea.  Overall when their passing game is clicking I do think that is more sustainable long term to move the chains when too many rushing attempts for no gain.  That was where Moss was supposed to help as a player who'd move the chains 3 to 4 yards most times he touches the ball or on a bad attempt 2 yards or so.  With a player like that you could often be looking at 3rd and 5 which helps but often when the Bills would try to run, they'd then have 3rd and 8 or 9 instead.

PS      One thing I thought is bad the way the NFL counts rushing yards for QB's.  Barring designated runs by the QB, If they are caught behind the line due to scrambling it counts as a sack, but once they cross the line it's positive yards.  So basically anytime Allen scrambles he's going to get credited for positive yards or it's a sack, he can't lose.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Bills lead the league in rushing yard per attempt at 5.3 yards but are 14th in rush attempts.  That is partially deceiving as much of that is off long gains by Allen.  But also seems like the Bills either gain 10 yards on a run or are stopped for a loss so not sure rushing too often is a good idea.  Overall when their passing game is clicking I do think that is more sustainable long term to move the chains when too many rushing attempts for no gain.  That was where Moss was supposed to help as a player who'd move the chains 3 to 4 yards most times he touches the ball or on a bad attempt 2 yards or so.  With a player like that you could often be looking at 3rd and 5 which helps but often when the Bills would try to run, they'd then have 3rd and 8 or 9 instead.

When I look at rushing stats, I look at the YPC for our HBs and ignore Josh's rushing numbers... consistently we are popping off over 4.0 YPC on average. James Cook has gotten better and better, and so we don't have any excuses as to why we can't win a championship this year.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.