Merry Xmas: Dolphin fans melting down in their forums and turning on Tua

Alphadawg7

4 hours ago, Beast said:

Tua passing out INT’s like he’s Santa giving out Christmas presents. Ho Ho Ho…three in a row!

Ho Ho Ho…where did he throw?

Ho Ho Ho…three in a row!

Drops in the pocket, throws it quick

In the fourth quarter it's pick pick pick!

• Like (+1) 5
  • Haha (+1) 16
  • Awesome! (+1) 4

3 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

I can think of another reason for Europeans ending up in Argentina during the 1940s tbh

Mere coincidence that so many came from Germany and Italy! Nothing to see here.

Tua cannot drive the ball with velocity. And he's small. And maybe inaccurate when forced to go through progressions. And possibly just not built for the violence of NFL football.

(We cannot ignore his determination, and his accuracy when throwing to his first read within 2.5 seconds.)

Edited by Richard Noggin
  • Like (+1) 3

4 hours ago, HardyBoy said:

I wanted them to bench allen after the Jets game, but not because I thought he deserved to be benched for his play, but because I felt the rest of the offense needed to figure crap out and Allen was going to go into hero mode if they didn't and get himself long term hurt.

I wasn't turning on anyone, I had confidence they'd figure it out, just please stop putting the key piece of the next 10 years (hopefully) in positions where he is taking on waaaay too much responsibility.

Way to alienate your 100 million $ quarterback. 

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I’ve read that if Jets lose to Seattle and we beat the Pats* then the Fish are in. If that’s true, it’s a very plausible scenario.

As for Miami, they’ve got 3 elite guys in Hill, Waddle, and Armstead. They’ve got a very good DT in Wilkins even though he’s a douche, and a solid DE in Phillips. That’s it. 

Their offense has been figured out. Cover deep, clog the middle and don’t let Hill/Waddle take over. Force Tua off his first read by pressure or taking it away. That’s it. Their D is trash, DBs over-rated, LBs are meh.

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, Cray51 said:

Thing with Miami, they also had the leverage of a brand new offensively minded  head coach and new weapons.  I’m not surprised that as the year has gone on, teams are keying in on their offense.  Let them run, maybe you give up a big play, but that team struggles to OWN the time of possession and paper cut teams to victory.

I predicted 10-7 for Miami at the beginning of the year, looking like I was right on the money

I think they finish 8-9.

• Agree 1

37 minutes ago, Cheektowaga Chad said:

McDaniel started hot and is finishing cold

Flores always started cold but finished hot

Kind of funny 

Flores finished hot until the game mattered...like their last game of the season when Allen only played a half and we still crushed them 56-26 with a win and in scenario for the Fins and us having nothing to really play for.

1 hour ago, RunTheBall said:

I’ve read that if Jets lose to Seattle and we beat the Pats* then the Fish are in. If that’s true, it’s a very plausible scenario.

As for Miami, they’ve got 3 elite guys in Hill, Waddle, and Armstead. They’ve got a very good DT in Wilkins even though he’s a douche, and a solid DE in Phillips. That’s it. 

Their offense has been figured out. Cover deep, clog the middle and don’t let Hill/Waddle take over. Force Tua off his first read by pressure or taking it away. That’s it. Their D is trash, DBs over-rated, LBs are meh.

This can’t be true because the Steelers can still get to nine wins. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

7 hours ago, BuffaloRebound said:

He’s Jared Goff.  Neither are good athletes and when they’re forced to move at all off their drop-back they’re terrible.  

As with all QBs, the more time opposing defensive coordinators have to study them, the more clearly their weaknesses can be defined.  The less complete a QB is, the easier it is for defensive coordinators to identify and attack his weaknesses.  In the meantime, young QBs are working to shore up the weak parts of their game, but QBs with obvious physical deficiencies have more limits on things they can improve.  Tua is on the small side, hot terribly mobile and doesn't have a super strong arm.  He's smart and generally makes quick reads, but he's got enough weaknesses that teams are always going to be able to exploit them to some extent.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

Full disclosure......I was not a fan of him coming out of college.  I thought he was physically limited and was successful because of the talent around him.

Fast forward to the NFL at this time, I think that largely remains the case, but he has had more success than I thought he would.  He does throw a pretty accurate ball when throwing in between the hashes.  He's made some really nice throws over the middle of the field.  But the fact is, he is very limited when having to throw outside the numbers and I think teams have kind of figured this out.  If you clog up the middle of the field and force him to throw outside, you will force him into mistakes because he just can't make a lot of those throws.

Miami did a great job of designing an offense that played to his strengths.  They use speed to create mismatches and the timing of their offense to get the ball out quickly on a bunch of layered crossers has worked well for them.  And, if you can't find a way to cover those WRs over the middle of the field, they will make you pay.  If you can take away those quick throws, you can slow them down fairly easily because Tua is still limited.  The Dolphins are kind of stuck here.  He's good enough to win with if your scheme works.  The second you force him out of his comfort zone, though, he will turn the ball over at times.  I am sure he will get another look next season, especially if they do get into the Playoffs.  And honestly, if he gets hot and you can't clog the middle of the field, they can score on any given play.  Hopefully, if they stick with him like I am sure they will, our defensive coaching staff can do what they need to do to take away the middle of the field.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 1

9 minutes ago, RunTheBall said:

You make some very good points. Tua is not a QB who can pretty much do everything a franchise QB should be able to do. He throws a nice ball over the middle on his first read. When he needs to go through a procession of reads it appears that he isn't as committed to those 2nd or 3rd throws. His arm is not strong enough to consistently throw the outs without chancing interceptions. Of course he can get away with those throws if his opponent isn't expecting them on a consistent basis but the book on him has evolved to the point that defenses are able to focus on less than the full field. It seems to me that Miami management recognized Tua's deficiencies and went out and got Hill to team up with Waddle. There's no doubt that they are both elite wide receivers but their value is diminished somewhat because Tua can't exploit the whole field. Tua has great statistics and the Miami fanbase had been giving him credit for the work of his receivers when his stats included 60 yard passes that were 12 yards in the air with 48 YAC. Those two WR's can be frightening but good defenses like the Dolphins have been seeing lately while not shutting them down, can absorb their good statistics. Anyway, Tua has talent but it is limited enough that defenses can exploit the areas in which he has issues. Miami has attempted to cover for Tua and while they may have added to their team's effectiveness somewhat they still have a QB who is not complete and one who allows good defenses to limit their scoring ability.

It seems like every game I watch on TV the announcers point out some OC or DC who will be in great demand for a head coaching vacancy in the following year. While leadership qualities are a good thing for coordinators to have, their game planning and play calling is what makes the announcers fall in love with them. Most NFL management teams understand though that leadership is the most important quality for a head coach to possess. Also important are such features as attention to detail, game management, etc. My point is about Miami's head coach. He's considered a player's coach but by all reports he gets that label because he acts like a buddy to the players on his team. Being a player's coach is fine but that doesn't preclude a coach from the necessity of making the hard decisions that include honest and straightforward communication with his players and coaches. The fiasco over Tua's "back injury" or "ankle injury" that had all the markings of a concussion and then the decision was made to allow him to reenter the game with the Bills and then start the next game was a breach of faith with not only Tua but every one of his present and future players. Some people claim that the decision regarding Tua's playing status was not the coach's but the doctors. Simply put, the head coach should have seen what everyone else watching that game saw and benched Tua. It's the kind of decision that a "player's coach" makes. Miami's management has been reported to have committed numerous instances of actions contrary to NFL rules and common decency. Their reputation is such that even if the allegations are somehow baseless they seem credible due to the general perception of the team as a whole. 

Also, from where I sit it appears that Miami has mortgaged their future and taken shortcuts to possibly put them in championship contention. While I guess that outcome is technically feasible their present record and recent actions seem more likely to insure that they remain a middle of the pack team for years to come. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

4 hours ago, RunTheBall said:

Pats get in if it’s a 3 way tie between Miami,NYJ,NE  at 8-9 and pit doesn’t win out which is also somewhat plausible.  NE and NYJ both control their own destiny it looks like…if they win out either one can get in.  Miami making the playoffs is far from a sure thing.  There’s also a decent chance buffalo has nothing to play for week 18 depending on the scheduling of the games and how we do vs cincy 

Seattle isn’t very good and that jets defense is gonna give tua trouble so ya never know 

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan

10 hours ago, JGMcD2 said:

In what world is Tua better than Allen and Herbert? 😂

I mean come on… the guy hasn’t done anything in this league yet. He had a chance to make the playoffs a few years back and choked… he has another chance and so far has choked. 

To be fair (to Tua), Herbert hasn’t made the playoffs yet either.  Herbert has a career record of 23-23.  

incidentally, Josh is now at 51-25. I think it’s notable that Herbert has to win 28 of his next 30 games to match Allen’s start.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, Andy1 said:

I think the fins losing streak shows that you have to be able to win in more than just one way in the NFL. Defensive coordinators will figure you out. This applies to quarterbacks as well as team offensive strategy. Every week is a test and if the QB and offense fail and lose, the next team will copy the approach. So you are forced to play a different way to win. This is what the Bills have been going through with their gauntlet of a schedule and they have mostly passed the tests. Miami is proving to be a one trick pony of sorts with Tua, Hill and Waddle. 

The Bills coaching staff have been very good at changing the offenses and defenses between games although they have not pulled a Wade Phillips change where he changes base defense formation between games.

14 minutes ago, Tim Tindale said:

To be fair (to Tua), Herbert hasn’t made the playoffs yet either.  Herbert has a career record of 23-23.  

incidentally, Josh is now at 51-25. I think it’s notable that Herbert has to win 28 of his next 30 games to match Allen’s start.  

And I think it is an example of why a top end QB is the most important piece but they are not the only piece. Our coaching way outstrips LAC's. And while they have had some injuries to key guys they have a lot of talent - Ekler, Allen, Slater, Linsley, Bosa, James... they are all top tier at their position.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.