Opponents' 3rd and long scare anyone else?

The Red King

11 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

We are the 17th best 3rd down defense in the league!  Never mind 3rd and long...

39.34% tied with Bengals for 17th.

Very average.  

But it all seems to work out OK in the end.

Bend but don't break.  We are #2 (and outstanding) in points given...at 18 points per game....

1 hour ago, Bills92 said:

This..      I know everybody (including myself) would like us to be the reincarnate of the 85 Bears / 2000 Ravens / 2002 Bucs defence.. but unfortunately that died when Micah and Von went down.   We are now the epitome of a 'bend don't break defense'...  Many teams (including the Chiefs) have won Superbowls with similar type defenses... Those chances increases significantly when you have a hybrid Superhero Buffalo behind center

Go Bills!

It hasn't died.  It just got postponed getting added to the Bills list of accomplishments until a future season.  Can't break every record in one season even if we got Josh.   

Edited by AuntieEm
  • Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, LOVEMESOMEBILLS said:

This board is literally scared of every G*d damn thing known to man. I feel like I'm in the movie The Replacements.

I guess I'll join in and give it a whirl..... Spiders. Anyone else scared of spiders?

You sound like the type of fan who will get over a Bills loss in the playoffs in about 5 seconds.

Big fan, huh?

• Eyeroll 1

11 hours ago, LOVEMESOMEBILLS said:

This board is literally scared of every G*d damn thing known to man. I feel like I'm in the movie The Replacements.

I guess I'll join in and give it a whirl..... Spiders. Anyone else scared of spiders?

No, but I am concerned about spiders. And if you don't share my concern then you must not understand critical journalism. 

Already posted the link on another site.  So many stats and here is 3rd & 4th down defense.

Teams go for it more vs. the Bills then anyone and converting way too  much (particularly of late).  Doesn't give distance though.

Seems the 3rd & 4th and 1-2 yards they do better then longer though.

My issue is these long drives where they are converting multiple third downs (or fourth).

https://nflpickwatch.com/nfl/stats/teams/defense/down

4 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Already posted the link on another site.  So many stats and here is 3rd & 4th down defense.

Teams go for it more vs. the Bills then anyone and converting way too  much (particularly of late).  Doesn't give distance though.

Seems the 3rd & 4th and 1-2 yards they do better then longer though.

My issue is these long drives where they are converting multiple third downs (or fourth).

https://nflpickwatch.com/nfl/stats/teams/defense/down

Teams go for it more against the Bills because they know you have to score. Punts hurt and 3s are no good. 

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, Nextmanup said:

You sound like the type of fan who will get over a Bills loss in the playoffs in about 5 seconds.

Big fan, huh?

No, I'm a bit more reasonable than most. Everyone is scare of this thing or that, I look at it logically and say we've played 10 games this year against teams that are currently .500 or better, so only 4 games against losing teams. Playing harder teams results in more close games and not as good of stats, than playing an easy schedule, like last year's team had.

Most would agree that the top 5 favorites to win the Super Bowl are Bills, Bengals, Chiefs, Eagles and 49ers. Like I said the Bills have played 10 games against teams .500 or better, the Eagles have 7, Bengals and Chiefs 6 and the team that all sports media and most fans are drooling over, the 49ers, have only played in 5.

Just like everyone going nuts about the 49ers defense, they're good,  no doubt, but much like the Bills defense last year they have benefited from playing a bunch of garbage teams and even more garbage offenses. The offensive ranks of the teams they've played: 32nd - 2 times, 30th, 28th, 27th, 23rd, 21st, 18th, 17th, 14 - 2 times, 12th, 5th & 1st. Most take their #1 ranking at face value, I look for a reason/s why thir rankings are so high. It's because they've only played 2 offenses on the top 10, have played half their games against offenses that are somewhere between 21st - 32nd and 5 out of 14 games against a bottom 6 offense. That's a cakewalk right there, just like the Bills defense had last year.

Also we're 4-1 against top 10 offenses and 3-1 against top 5 offenses(3 on the road). We're 3-1 against top 10 defenses(Again 3 on the road). We're 5-1 when playing a top 12 pass rusher, 1 game we faced 2 in the same game and won. We're 6-1 when playing a top 15 RB. And we're 2-1 against top 15 QBs, the only loss was when we played in outrageously hot weather missing half our starters and a couple of their backups. No other team can say they have done all that. This is why I'm not worrying about anything. This team has shown me they're good enough to win the whole thing.

I love how your tried to nail me down, but failed miserably, you don't have the first clue about me or who I am.  Been a Bills fan for longer than most on here, but obviously not as long as the old timers. A fan since I went to a game when I was 5 in 1978, I'm a veteran at this and a much bigger fan than most.

One of things I've learned over the years and this is 100% true, you can worry yourself to death, but it ain't going to make a lick of difference, it's 100% pointless. Me, I look at it this way, we've played a hard schedule, played in a bunch of close, hard fought games and we've only lost 3 times, all to teams .500 or better, by a combined 8 points. This is the most battle tested Bills team since, at least, the early 90s and the most tested team this year going into the playoffs. This year our stats and record are real, not a mirage like other years. That's good enough for me. I'll be the bigger man by ending this with I hope you learn to not worry so much and have a Merry Christmas! GO BILLS!!

• Like (+1) 5

21 minutes ago, LOVEMESOMEBILLS said:

No, I'm a bit more reasonable than most. Everyone is scare of this thing or that, I look at it logically and say we've played 10 games this year against teams that are currently .500 or better, so only 4 games against losing teams. Playing harder teams results in more close games and not as good of stats, than playing an easy schedule, like last year's team had.

Most would agree that the top 5 favorites to win the Super Bowl are Bills, Bengals, Chiefs, Eagles and 49ers. Like I said the Bills have played 10 games against teams .500 or better, the Eagles have 7, Bengals and Chiefs 6 and the team that all sports media and most fans are drooling over, the 49ers, have only played in 5.

Just like everyone going nuts about the 49ers defense, they're good,  no doubt, but much like the Bills defense last year they have benefited from playing a bunch of garbage teams and even more garbage offenses. The offensive ranks of the teams they've played: 32nd - 2 times, 30th, 28th, 27th, 23rd, 21st, 18th, 17th, 14 - 2 times, 12th, 5th & 1st. Most take their #1 ranking at face value, I look for a reason/s why thir rankings are so high. It's because they've only played 2 offenses on the top 10, have played half their games against offenses that are somewhere between 21st - 32nd and 5 out of 14 games against a bottom 6 offense. That's a cakewalk right there, just like the Bills defense had last year.

Also we're 4-1 against top 10 offenses and 3-1 against top 5 offenses(3 on the road). We're 3-1 against top 10 defenses(Again 3 on the road). We're 5-1 when playing a top 12 pass rusher, 1 game we faced 2 in the same game and won. We're 6-1 when playing a top 15 RB. And we're 2-1 against top 15 QBs, the only loss was when we played in outrageously hot weather missing half our starters and a couple of their backups. No other team can say they have done all that. This is why I'm not worrying about anything. This team has shown me they're good enough to win the whole thing.

I love how your tried to nail me down, but failed miserably, you don't have the first clue about me or who I am.  Been a Bills fan for longer than most on here, but obviously not as long as the old timers. A fan since I went to a game when I was 5 in 1978, I'm a veteran at this and a much bigger fan than most.

One of things I've learned over the years and this is 100% true, you can worry yourself to death, but it ain't going to make a lick of difference, it's 100% pointless. Me, I look at it this way, we've played a hard schedule, played in a bunch of close, hard fought games and we've only lost 3 times, all to teams .500 or better, by a combined 8 points. This is the most battle tested Bills team since, at least, the early 90s and the most tested team this year going into the playoffs. This year our stats and record are real, not a mirage like other years. That's good enough for me. I'll be the bigger man by ending this with I hope you learn to not worry so much and have a Merry Christmas! GO BILLS!!

And we know how they did vs. the #1 offense.

I try and be levelheaded and fair, but regardless there are concerns.  

As good as the Bills opposition has been (record wise), the last 5 games though wins we've seen issues, which is what this board is for.  

Teams will convert 3rd downs, but the #4 DVOA Defense is not as successful as that # shows on third or fourth downs.

And while 11-3, been a long time since a thorough beatdown/convincing victory.

• Eyeroll 1

3 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

As good as the Bills opposition has been (record wise), the last 5 games though wins we've seen issues, which is what this board is for.  

Teams will convert 3rd downs, but the #4 DVOA Defense is not as successful as that # shows on third or fourth downs.

It's happening across the NFL.

2022 has already seen more close games than any previous year.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/nfl-games-have-never-been-closer-heres-why/

When it comes to close contests, 2022 is shaping up to be an all-timer. So far this season, 92 games (90 decisions and two ties) have been decided by 6 points or fewer, the most through Week 14 in NFL history. To put that in perspective, at least half of all games played in nine out of 14 weeks were decided by 6 points or fewer.

All these close games have led to some incredibly exciting finishes. The most recent example is Dallas Cowboys quarterback Dak Prescott’s last-minute drive Sunday against the Houston Texans, a win that saved the Cowboys from the embarrassment of losing to a 17-point underdog. On Thursday in L.A., we were also treated to an improbable Baker Mayfield-led comeback against the Las Vegas Raiders — a win that came just two days after he joined the Rams. And there have been 75 more game-winning drives where those came from since the season started.

In fact, teams are on pace to record 101 game-winning drives in 2022, 12 more than in any other season since the merger. And even after adjusting for the added games from a 17-week season, the pace is historic: The NFL is averaging 5.5 game winning drives per week. Mercy.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Gugny said:

It's happening across the NFL.

2022 has already seen more close games than any previous year.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/nfl-games-have-never-been-closer-heres-why/

When it comes to close contests, 2022 is shaping up to be an all-timer. So far this season, 92 games (90 decisions and two ties) have been decided by 6 points or fewer, the most through Week 14 in NFL history. To put that in perspective, at least half of all games played in nine out of 14 weeks were decided by 6 points or fewer.

All these close games have led to some incredibly exciting finishes. The most recent example is Dallas Cowboys quarterback Dak Prescott’s last-minute drive Sunday against the Houston Texans, a win that saved the Cowboys from the embarrassment of losing to a 17-point underdog. On Thursday in L.A., we were also treated to an improbable Baker Mayfield-led comeback against the Las Vegas Raiders — a win that came just two days after he joined the Rams. And there have been 75 more game-winning drives where those came from since the season started.

In fact, teams are on pace to record 101 game-winning drives in 2022, 12 more than in any other season since the merger. And even after adjusting for the added games from a 17-week season, the pace is historic: The NFL is averaging 5.5 game winning drives per week. Mercy.

Only Allen has had game winning drives I thought!!!

• Eyeroll 1

Just now, Billsfan1972 said:

Only Allen has had game winning drives I thought!!!

Game Winning Drives

• 1 Kirk Cousins 7
  • 2 Justin Herbert 5
  • 3 Daniel Jones 5
  • 4 Joe Burrow 4
  • 5 Josh Allen 4
  • 6 Matt Ryan 4
  • 7 Patrick Mahomes 3

13 hours ago, LOVEMESOMEBILLS said:

This right here^^^

WTF is up with this fearing, worrying, concerned with, just about every GD thing this and every other team has ever had to contend with every single season since the inception of football? JFC let’s give this crap a rest for a couple of days, 

let’s just beat the Bears and move on from there, that would be nice, wouldn’t it…, 

Thanks in advance, yours truly Don 😂

GO BILLS!!!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Gugny said:

Game Winning Drives

• 1 Kirk Cousins 7
  • 2 Justin Herbert 5
  • 3 Daniel Jones 5
  • 4 Joe Burrow 4
  • 5 Josh Allen 4
  • 6 Matt Ryan 4
  • 7 Patrick Mahomes 3

If only the Bills had the mentality to win close games.  Sigh ...

• Haha (+1) 2

40 minutes ago, LOVEMESOMEBILLS said:

God that got rammed down everyone's throat for about a year. That was Colin Cowherd's, and several others, go to the back half of last year and early this year. 

But if they only won three more close ones.   They've been much better this year.  Regardless they stunk last year.

12 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

Yes, it’s one of the few things I worry about with our team. They do so well on first and second down only to blow it on 3rd and long with what seems to me at a high rate.

The defense has taken the brunt of the injuries this year and for the most part they have been key players. Hyde, Poyer, White, Elam, Jackson, Benford, Milano, Edmunds, Groot, Phillips, Miller and now Boogie(That's just off the top of my head) have all missed some to alot of time this year.

The secondary has been hurt the most, missing 2-3 guys in almost all the games and sometimes missing 4 of 5 starters,  including all 3 former All-Pros. It's been a constant revolving door this year. My hope is there's no more injuries back there and coach decides quickly and picks Elam to start opposite of Tre. That will give him time to settle in and give the secondary 3 games to try and gel with one another.🤞

Edited by LOVEMESOMEBILLS
  • Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, The Red King said:

It may be perspective, I didn't check the numbers, but I worry about 3rd and long because our D seems bad at it.  I'm actually more confident with 3rd and short.  We just seem to keep getting torched on 3rd and 10, 3rd and 12, etc.  3rd and long and you can usually pressure the offense, but it seems we do the opposite, giving the QB time to kill us.

Again, maybe I'm wrong, but for all our strengths we just don't look good on third and long plays.

Gone are the days of draw plays on 3rd and long. 

4 hours ago, Billsfan1972 said:

This is the NFL and the other teams are also good.  You can't expect to have a blow out every day.  In fact, during the last 5 games (other than the game against Miami), it is our offense that has been pedestrian. 

4 hours ago, Billsfan1972 said:

"We know how they did against the #1 offense," you say? Yeah, they did very very well against that #1 offense. Held 'em to 20 points, which only one other team was able to do. 

Yeah, we've seen issues. You always will. Perfection doesn't exist. Teams go up and down, all of them. But for the last five games you're worrying about, they've allowed less than 20 PPG average. Against a damn good group of offenses, as you yourself pointed out.

Particularly with our clusters of defensive injuries, and against a vicious schedule, they've performed very very well. 

And having a great overall defensive DVOA, defensive scoring record, the 11-3 record, etc., are all far more important than a somewhat cherry-picked stat. This doesn't rise to the level of a worry for me.

As for not having had a thorough beatdown in a while, I just smile at how the target changes. For two years people have been complaining that we don't do well in one-score games and how most of our wins are only just beatdowns. Now we're turning that around and the new complaint is that we don't put up enough beatdowns. The target is always moving for people looking for a reason to worry.

11-3. That's the bottom line. 

• Angry 1

19 hours ago, The Red King said:

It may be perspective, I didn't check the numbers, but I worry about 3rd and long because our D seems bad at it.  I'm actually more confident with 3rd and short.  We just seem to keep getting torched on 3rd and 10, 3rd and 12, etc.  3rd and long and you can usually pressure the offense, but it seems we do the opposite, giving the QB time to kill us.

Again, maybe I'm wrong, but for all our strengths we just don't look good on third and long plays.

Always an anxious situation for me- worried about a conversion that stabs like a dagger, or worse yet a PI penalty.  Possibly related to the exposure to many years of Bills football prior to the McDermott era.  

29 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

"We know how they did against the #1 offense," you say? Yeah, they did very very well against that #1 offense. Held 'em to 20 points, which only one other team was able to do. 

Yeah, we've seen issues. You always will. Perfection doesn't exist. Teams go up and down, all of them. But for the last five games you're worrying about, they've allowed less than 20 PPG average. Against a damn good group of offenses, as you yourself pointed out.

Particularly with our clusters of defensive injuries, and against a vicious schedule, they've performed very very well. 

And having a great overall defensive DVOA, defensive scoring record, the 11-3 record, etc., are all far more important than a somewhat cherry-picked stat. This doesn't rise to the level of a worry for me.

As for not having had a thorough beatdown in a while, I just smile at how the target changes. For two years people have been complaining that we don't do well in one-score games and how most of our wins are only just beatdowns. Now we're turning that around and the new complaint is that we don't put up enough beatdowns. The target is always moving for people looking for a reason to worry.

11-3. That's the bottom line. 

I was talking about SF getting torched by KC......Sheez!!!!   

Boy you miss the point.....  Five wins have been against Cleve, NYJ, Mia, Det & NE.  Only Det and Mia are decent offences and the defence didn't look particularly good against either.  NE, NYJ and Cleveland all are bad Offences.   

Great teams yes have some games that are laughers and the Bills haven't had a dominating performance since Pitt.  All other SB contenders have.

What's funny is that Cincy looked terrible against TB, but people will see they scored 34 straight and was a lopsided victory by the end.

Edited by Billsfan1972

All this is about is 3rd and long.  And don't give me 11-3.  This team isn't flawless.  11-3 doesn't mean nothing could be wrong.  Look at Pitt two years ago.  Had even a better record, then got curb-stomped in the Wild Card game.

I think I raised a valid concern.  The longer the D is out there, the less our O is.  3rd and long should be when we get off the field, but we're blowing a disproportionate number of them.

Honestly, I'm more comfortable with 3rd and 5 then I am 3rd and 10.

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, The Red King said:

All this is about is 3rd and long.  And don't give me 11-3.  This team isn't flawless.  11-3 doesn't mean nothing could be wrong.  Look at Pitt two years ago.  Had even a better record, then got curb-stomped in the Wild Card game.

I think I raised a valid concern.  The longer the D is out there, the less our O is.  3rd and long should be when we get off the field, but we're blowing a disproportionate number of them.

Honestly, I'm more comfortable with 3rd and 5 then I am 3rd and 10.

And that's the problem here.  Debate and conversation often becomes the stupid 11-3 comments as they think they are intellectually superior by saying that.  We all know the Bills  are 11-3.

Very simply the Minny and NYJ games were lost because they converted on 3rd and long or on 4th down and this was Zach Wilson and sorry the fraud that is Kirk Cousins.

The Bills have faced two elite qbs this year in Mahomes and Jackson and Miami and Detroit scored plenty on them (remember Tua was concussed vs. Buffalo and the Bills had the ball 40 minutes).

Edited by Billsfan1972
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1

When I hear the train horn it means I’m one play closer (good or bad) to seeing Superman get the ball back. So, no I’m not scared. Last I checked we are also 8 points away from being undefeated or close to it. So we always have a chance 

Edited by Bills!Win!

44 minutes ago, Bills!Win! said:

When I hear the train horn it means I’m one play closer (good or bad) to seeing Superman get the ball back. So, no I’m not scared. Last I checked we are also 8 points away from being undefeated or close to it. So we always have a chance 

And what does that have to do with the thread?

Another Post about 11-3 a d how close the Bills are to 14-0.

We know....  we know....

Edited by Billsfan1972

11 hours ago, Billsfan1972 said:

I was talking about SF getting torched by KC......Sheez!!!!   

Boy you miss the point.....  Five wins have been against Cleve, NYJ, Mia, Det & NE.  Only Det and Mia are decent offences and the defence didn't look particularly good against either.  NE, NYJ and Cleveland all are bad Offences.   

Great teams yes have some games that are laughers and the Bills haven't had a dominating performance since Pitt.  All other SB contenders have.

What's funny is that Cincy looked terrible against TB, but people will see they scored 34 straight and was a lopsided victory by the end.

Which is more of an indicator of how a team is playing?

The way KC beat SF or how KC has played since?

KC struggled with the Rams without Kupp, Stafford and Donald.  Bad offense.

KC struggled against TN and Malik Willis.

Bad offense.

KC struggled against the Broncos.  Bad offense.

KC struggles with the Texans.  Bad offense and defense.

KC lost to the Bengals.

It was 7 weeks ago the Chiefs dominated the 49ers.  They haven’t dominated anyone since and have struggled against bad teams.

9 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Which is more of an indicator of how a team is playing?

The way KC beat SF or how KC has played since?

KC struggled with the Rams without Kupp, Stafford and Donald.  Bad offense.

KC struggled against TN and Malik Willis.

Bad offense.

KC struggled against the Broncos.  Bad offense.

KC struggles with the Texans.  Bad offense and defense.

KC lost to the Bengals.

It was 7 weeks ago the Chiefs dominated the 49ers.  They haven’t dominated anyone since and have struggled against bad teams.

And again when was the last time the Bills dominated?  They've won, (please remind us that they are 11-3 always witty and smart).

The New England game was okay, but NE is a dysfunctional offense and the Bills sputtered there at times too.

Great teams have dominating wins

The Bills did weeks 1-2 & against Pitt, that's all.

Edited by Billsfan1972
  • Eyeroll 2

2 hours ago, Billsfan1972 said:

And again when was the last time the Bills dominated?  They've won, (please remind us that they are 11-3 always witty and smart).

The New England game was okay, but NE is a dysfunctional offense and the Bills sputtered there at times too.

Games won by 3 scores.  Its been awhile for the Chiefs too.   San Fran was awhile too.  

Bills - 3

Chiefs - 2

Are the Chiefs playing better than the Bills in the last 5-6 games?  With everything I mentioned above how the Chiefs are needing last second wins against multiple bad teams…are they playing better than the Bills in the last 5-6 games ?  Its a yes or no question.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

So, from what I'm hearing from some, it doesn't matter how good or bad our 3rd and long play is, there is nothing to be concerned about because we're 11-3.    All 3 or less loss teams have no flaws whatsoever to be worried about?  There should be no concerns whatsoever for the Bills, Chiefs, Eagles or Vikings.  Not for any facet of their gameplay at all, because hey, less then four losses.  Four flawless teams, should make for amazing Championship Games and Super Bowl then.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

18 hours ago, Billsfan1972 said:

NE, NYJ and Cleveland all are bad Offences.   

When the Bills played the Browns, the Browns had the #6 rated offense by DVOA. Sometimes when you're typing out these long posts you should consider stopping and fact checking the things that you say. It has earned you a reputation on here of being an anti-homer, one that stretches the truth or tells outright lies to minimize the accomplishments of the team.

6 hours ago, HappyDays said:

When the Bills played the Browns, the Browns had the #6 rated offense by DVOA. Sometimes when you're typing out these long posts you should consider stopping and fact checking the things that you say. It has earned you a reputation on here of being an anti-homer, one that stretches the truth or tells outright lies to minimize the accomplishments of the team.

Wow rhey beat Jacobi Brissett.   Talk about a statement win 🤣

• Eyeroll 1

30 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Wow rhey beat Jacobi Brissett.   Talk about a statement win 🤣

No. They beat the Browns offense which was the 6th rated offense by DVOA and we held them below their average production for the year. You have a real problem acknowledging facts that counter what you say. In the right situation I bet you would use DVOA to make your point for you, but because in this case it doesn't fit your agenda you have to misdirect. Not gonna work on me.

Edited by HappyDays
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

On 12/23/2022 at 12:56 PM, Billsfan1972 said:

14 point wins on the road are dominating. This is the problem you disqualify things based on your arbitrary criteria of "whether I think it counts". Winning a division game on the road by 14 in the NFL is a dominating performance. 

Other than that, sure we have played some close games recently. 

12 hours ago, HappyDays said:

No. They beat the Browns offense which was the 6th rated offense by DVOA and we held them below their average production for the year. You have a real problem acknowledging facts that counter what you say. In the right situation I bet you would use DVOA to make your point for you, but because in this case it doesn't fit your agenda you have to misdirect. Not gonna work on me.

That is exactly what he does. If a fact counters his view then he will caveat at it. If a fact supports his view and someone else seeks to caveat it he accuses them of making excuses and ignoring facts. 

And then he complains that people cannot accept his views whenever he is critical. You have known me long enough on this board @HappyDays - have I ever had a problem being critical about the Bills when I have thought it was warranted? 

I just prefer a balanced discussion than what you get from @Billsfan1972.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.