The "non-interception" by Edmunds

Bermuda Triangle

1 hour ago, Simon said:

By default, that back judge should have called it a pick so that it would automatically activate a review on a turnover.

Yeah but the problem with doing that as the default is then there'd have to be clear evidence to over turn it not being an Int which again wouldn't have happened.  The call was going to stand whatever was made. While it would have helped the Bills today, don't think that's a good path for the league to go down as the default tactic.

I do think it points out a weakness in the system that as you suggest rule it an Int as that would automatically activate a review.  If that's the only way it forces that, there's a problem with the system as exists today.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ArtVandalay said:

McDermott has one of the worst challenge records in NFL history.  6 for 24 in his 6 seasons, as of a couple years ago only Lebeau and Reeves were worse. If you are scratching your head why we didn't challenge, that's why. 

Camera angle showed clear possession. Where Edmunds controlled the ball and Uzmah didn't have a single finger on it. He tried grabbing it after Edmunds fell to the ground. 

20221106_204555.jpg

Good grief...That's an INT folks...

Edited by KOKBILLS
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, Simon said:

By default, that back judge should have called it a pick so that it would automatically activate a review on a turnover.

I agree with your other post that it wasn't likely to get overturned. Disagree that refs should make a call based on whether it would make the play reviewable. They should call it as they see it, nothing more, nothing less. They'll make mistakes, replay should remedy the bad ones, fans should learn to live with the marginal ones and move on IMO. 

• Like (+1) 1

I wouldn't criticize the decision not to challenge, because a play of that nature is NOT going to be reversed, whatever the outcome actually was as originally called.

One of my complaints about McDermott's TERRIBLE challenge history is that he has often foolishly challenged the type of stuff that isn't going to be reversed. 

• Agree 1

The NFL is diluting their product with over officiating.

Yeah, the eye in the sky rights wrongs by the refs, but it’s reaching a point where no play can be simply enjoyed until after scanning the field for flags or waiting/wondering about play reviews, which drag out the suspense of individual plays in the game too often.

This isn’t benefiting watching the NFL like they think.

Edited by I am the egg man
  • Thank you (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Another missed challenge by McDermott. The WR clearly didn't have any possession going to the ground.

McD challenged the ruled interception by Johnson of the Rams ripping the ball away on the ground from Kroft, and lost that challenge. It changed the complexion of that game too. Basically refs just suck.

I think it was an INT, and it was clear enough that it would have been overturned on replay. 

Problem was the jets ran a play too quickly for McD to be able to make a decision and throw the challenge flag. 

But you don’t want to waste a timeout if you’re wrong. 

Here is the solution. Have a player close to the ball come up lame, rolling in the ground in pain. That way you get your injury timeout and more time to decide on challenge. 

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Simon said:

That was one of those plays where the original call on the field was going to stand regardless of what that call was.

I think you’re right.  They would have just said not enough to clearly overturn the call on the field. I also think Mcd realized it was a close game and he cherishes his timeouts for use late. Hard to argue as it was important that he had all 3 TO’s to use to allow us to hold them  them to a Fg at the end with about 1:43 left.    So , while I agree Edmunds looked like he had it , I really doubt the refs reverse that call. 

In the end we had enough time to drive to tie it or even win so Mcds strategy is hard to argue with. Too bad the whole second half, like the prior week, players were not executing well on O or D!  I mean we did blow a 14-3 lead ( should.at worst have been 17 -10 at halftime ), gave up a 96 yard drive ending in a go ahead fg as they ran over us and burned the clock.  Our O had no rhythm and our coordinators look like they are not adjusting as well now as teams now know our tendencies better at this point in the season.  That said , as I watch the KC game , your playmakers and QB have to make plays and ours failed in the last two second halves.  Look at KC’s d pressure the Titan qb and walk away with a win , while our D rarely pressured  Wilson in the deciding half.  Another test coming next week,

; big challenge to see if we can turn the sloppy play around.and see if Josh can avoid the uncharacteristic bad turnovers !  This o has hit a stagnant phase at mid season and I hope Dorsey has some solutions.  😊

4 hours ago, stevestojan said:

Of all the times McD has thrown questionable red flags, I can’t believe our coaches in the booth didn’t immediately tell him to toss it. 

That scrum happened fully after Edmunds had the ball and was down by contact. 

Trying to shave some $ off the new contract.

10 hours ago, Bermuda Triangle said:

I'm not very tech savvy, but there was a replay angle which clearly showed that Edmunds possessed the ball while down.  

When I originally saw the play I was like meh,  who knows, after that replay angle I could clearly see Edmunds with the ball all the way to the ground

• Agree 1

12 hours ago, Bermuda Triangle said:

I'm not very tech savvy, but there was a replay angle which clearly showed that Edmunds possessed the ball while down.  

Sure was. He had both hands securely on the ball and the Jets guy has only one reaching in when they went down. Terrible call.

• Agree 1

Edmunds possessed the ball as he went to the ground. More damning was the fact that the tight end had his arm WRAPPED AROUND EDMUNDS. Unless the man has 3 arms, not sure how you can possess the ball and make a tackle... 

15 hours ago, stevestojan said:

Of all the times McD has thrown questionable red flags, I can’t believe our coaches in the booth didn’t immediately tell him to toss it. 

That scrum happened fully after Edmunds had the ball and was down by contact. 

McD must be relying on some blind guy to watch replays.  He isn't challenging plays he should be and when he throws the red flag it is usually obvious the call is not going to be changed in our favor.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.