Defense vs Green Bay and their performance

zow2

It was disappointing.  I don't really want to hear about how great the "Number 1" defense is when a team you know will hand off and run the ball gashes you for 208 on 31 carries.

Those yards against were not gimmicky QB scrambles and reverses like some weeks, this was just straight smash mouth.

Not only was the tackling poor, but it appears the Packers were taking advantage of the DL gaps and the LB's were not plugging them up at the point of attack....basically just getting out schemed and out physical'd.  The tackling was piss poor and some guys were just going for battering ram type tackles instead of wrapping up.  Stop flying in there like an out of control missile, and just tackle the ball carrier.

Anyway,  they'll be fine.  I think this will turn out to be their worst performance of the season vs the run..   But New England will try the same stuff, and maybe Jets too.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 4
  • Agree 3
  • Haha (+1) 4
  • Dislike 3

Seeing the defense get run on like that wasn't ideal. 

But they didn't give up the big TD run, for the most part kept plays in front of them and let the Packers run the clock out on themselves. Stepped up a couple times with stops on 4th down. Had constant pressure on the QB. One INT and close to a couple more. Most importantly, gave up 17 points. The 2 TDs they did give up were from a spectacular route being run and a highlight real type catch by Doubs. Credit to both of those WRs. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I’ve got to slightly disagree with this.

Frazier refused to bring a safety down into the box and refused to sub off Taron Johnson for a LB. The Pack did exactly what you are meant to do against the cover 2 shell, you run into it and dink/dunk your way down the field.  And that’s going to happen against that alignment. The issue is, can you sustain that many plays in a drive without committing an error.  And when the field compresses as you get towards the goal line can you punch it in for 7? The Pack couldn’t do it. 

That’s an effective defensive game plan. Sure, the rush numbers look high but does that matter if they aren’t converting any of those drives? You also have to say that had the offense not laid an egg in the 2nd half, this outcome would have been very different.

• Like (+1) 11
  • Agree 7
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

While I didn’t like the run defense I couldn’t help but think the Bills were just scratching their heads wondering what the heck the Packers were doing. It was like watching a boxing match where one guy is way ahead on points and the other guy is still bobbing and weaving well into the late rounds. The Packers are a mess.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Against a good team, they would have lost ...

... Oh wait, the Bills already beat all the other good teams and are sitting alone atop the AFC after holding Aaron Rodgers and the Packers to 17 points and beating them by double digits.

But sensitive fans are reeling because the Packers got a few rushing yards. Suck it up.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

20 minutes ago, zow2 said:

It was disappointing.  I don't really want to hear about how great the "Number 1" defense is when a team you know will hand off and run the ball gashes you for 208 on 31 carries.

Those yards against were not gimmicky QB scrambles and reverses like some weeks, this was just straight smash mouth.

Not only was the tackling poor, but it appears the Packers were taking advantage of the DL gaps and the LB's were not plugging them up at the point of attack....basically just getting out schemed and out physical'd.  The tackling was piss poor and some guys were just going for battering ram type tackles instead of wrapping up.  Stop flying in there like an out of control missile, and just tackle the ball carrier.

Anyway,  they'll be fine.  I think this will turn out to be their worst performance of the season vs the run..   But New England will try the same stuff, and maybe Jets too.

So you don't want to hear excuses but you finish by saying they will be fine?  Cool.

I dunno, we shut down Derrick Henry, Lamar and other solid run games. It look like they never saw a sweep before and picked the wrong gaps plenty of time. Tacking wasn't great. Agree that game plan ended in a the score loss, but a few more stops by the D would have been nice.  All said in done, I'm far more concerned about  Poyer and safety depth. On to NY.

Dude , it was pretty clear that the Bills were very content letting the Packers run the ball down the field with a 17 point lead. The Packers had a 7 minute drive down 17 and got stuffed on 4th and 1 to get zero points. 

it’s like the Packers were like we’ll be content with a 10-17 point loss versus losing by 24 to 30. It was weird. 

• Agree 7

1 minute ago, Bermuda Triangle said:

I thought that the game plan defensively was bizarre.  You're content letting GB run the ball down your throat, knowing that by doing so, you're letting them bleed clock, which in turn leads to fewer possessions for your offense?

Yeah, because we were up by 17

• Agree 6

The Packers basically became Army out there all that was missing was Rogers running the triple option.
It was a bizarre game plan and the Bills just kept staying in their cover 2 shell and didn’t really seem to care. If the Pack had 10 minute drives.

One thing it does do. It puts a lot of pressure on Allen to produce points on the drives he gets and if he’s even a little off like late 3rd/4th quarter then the Bills have issues. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, zow2 said:

Our defense was only disappointing if you gave the points and bet the mortgage on covering.  From a "win the football game POV" it was a solid concept and effort by the Bill's on D.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, SoCal Deek said:

While I didn’t like the run defense I couldn’t help but think the Bills were just scratching their heads wondering what the heck the Packers were doing. It was like watching a boxing match where one guy is way ahead on points and the other guy is still bobbing and weaving well into the late rounds. The Packers are a mess.

Von Miller and Groot said as much after the game...they both were shocked the Packers kept running the ball.

• Like (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, Wayne Cubed said:

I’ve got to slightly disagree with this.

Frazier refused to bring a safety down into the box and refused to sub off Taron Johnson for a LB. The Pack did exactly what you are meant to do against the cover 2 shell, you run into it and dink/dunk your way down the field.  And that’s going to happen against that alignment. The issue is, can you sustain that many plays in a drive without committing an error.  And when the field compresses as you get towards the goal line can you punch it in for 7? The Pack couldn’t do it. 

That’s an effective defensive game plan. Sure, the rush numbers look high but does that matter if they aren’t converting any of those drives? You also have to say that had the offense not laid an egg in the 2nd half, this outcome would have been very different.

I agree with a lot of this but the game reminded me the New England game last year.  As for a defensive game plan wouldn't it have been smarter to go 4-3-4 instead of the base nickel in order to take away the run and force Rodgers and the Packers to pass?  Why allow them to control the ball and control the clock and basically execute the offensive game plan they developed for the game.  Their WR group is limited in both talent and experience.  Its rule number one of defensive game planning try to take away what the opponent does best?  Instead they allowed the opponent to do what they do best given the circumstances the Packers faced.  They won because the offense was just too much for the Packers, and likely any NFL, defense to contain.  Even on what you can argue was an off night for Josh Allen.  They need to be sharper and cleaner against the Jets next Sunday.  

12 minutes ago, Virgil said:

I mean, wasn’t it more bizarre that the Packers kept running the ball in the 4th when down by 17?   If we did that, you’d be writing that post.  

It was so bizarre it had the Bills defenders wondering what was going on.

Just now, All_Pro_Bills said:

I agree with a lot of this but the game reminded me the New England game last year.  As for a defensive game plan wouldn't it have been smarter to go 4-3-4 instead of the base nickel in order to take away the run and force Rodgers and the Packers to pass?  Why allow them to control the ball and control the clock and basically execute the offensive game plan they developed for the game.  Their WR group is limited in both talent and experience.  Its rule number one of defensive game planning try to take away what the opponent does best?  Instead they allowed the opponent to do what they do best given the circumstances the Packers faced.  They won because the offense was just too much for the Packers, and likely any NFL, defense to contain.  Even on what you can argue was an off night for Josh Allen.  They need to be sharper and cleaner against the Jets next Sunday.  

They "controlled the clock" themselves out of the game as time ran out.

15 minutes ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

The Packers basically became Army out there all that was missing was Rogers running the triple option.
It was a bizarre game plan and the Bills just kept staying in their cover 2 shell and didn’t really seem to care. If the Pack had 10 minute drives.

One thing it does do. It puts a lot of pressure on Allen to produce points on the drives he gets and if he’s even a little off like late 3rd/4th quarter then the Bills have issues. 

Issues like only winning by 2 scores?  I’ll take those issues. Sign me up.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.