Defense vs Green Bay and their performance

zow2

5 hours ago, WotAGuy said:

If you read the National and Green Bay press about the game, it’s universally about the Bills being dominant in the game. The rushing yards by Green Bay are just a curiosity. 

If you look at the stats, it’s hard to believe Buffalo won.

The Bills are so close to being a perfect team, that every imperfection looks glaring. 

This felt like the TB/Patriots years, but the script was flipper. It didn’t matter what GB did. Really long sustained drives. Commit to the run. Win the turnover battle. Force Allen into mistakes. Rattle Diggs. GB was never able to get into the game. 

Think of it this way in situational football… the packers needed big plays fast. They were essentially the equivalent of facing 3rd and 15 the entire second half. No one cares if they run for 7 yards a carry there. As a DC you’d agree to that every day without pulling players out of the secondary.

our offense committed turnovers, our defense missed tackles, and we still won by two scores because every time they handed the ball off on the proverbial third and 15 they gained 7-10 yards and lost the down. Many of those big runs saw their odds of winning go down. 

It never felt like GB posed a threat of scoring a ton of points. Not concerned at all. 
Side note: I get to my office this morning and my supervisor comes in to say “ your Bills played rough last night. They were putting in an extra umph in their tackles. That’s a really good team. “ 

fwiw

I’m not rioting over this one but I do think teams have a bit of roadmap against us. Josh tends to press more when you keep him off the field. The defense will allow offenses to be methodical, which in turn can lead to keeping the offense off the field. 

Within this you also need to execute at a very high level. That said, am I bit concerned that KC gets smart and runs 30 times at us or other more traditional passing teams? 

Who on earth dare trying to beat us by air or matching our score? 

Yeah. They won’t be fine. Exposing this defense for what it is. A bad tackling team. Feels like it’s been a bad tackling team for years now. When you’re blowing teams away you’re fine. But in close games where running the ball matters, it’s noticeable 

• Agree 2

14 minutes ago, mrags said:

Yeah. They won’t be fine. Exposing this defense for what it is. A bad tackling team. Feels like it’s been a bad tackling team for years now. When you’re blowing teams away you’re fine. But in close games where running the ball matters, it’s noticeable 

Yup. The offense though was bad last week in the 2nd half and terrible today. No Knox, Gabe, Shakir or running game. This offense needs to make some serious adjustments 

On 10/31/2022 at 8:04 AM, zow2 said:

It was disappointing.  I don't really want to hear about how great the "Number 1" defense is when a team you know will hand off and run the ball gashes you for 208 on 31 carries.

Those yards against were not gimmicky QB scrambles and reverses like some weeks, this was just straight smash mouth.

Not only was the tackling poor, but it appears the Packers were taking advantage of the DL gaps and the LB's were not plugging them up at the point of attack....basically just getting out schemed and out physical'd.  The tackling was piss poor and some guys were just going for battering ram type tackles instead of wrapping up.  Stop flying in there like an out of control missile, and just tackle the ball carrier.

Anyway,  they'll be fine.  I think this will turn out to be their worst performance of the season vs the run..   But New England will try the same stuff, and maybe Jets too.

Where are all the eye rollers, vomited, and disagreers...yeah I know it's not a word?  

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, CoudyBills said:

Where are all the eye rollers, vomited, and disagreers...yeah I know it's not a word?  

I dunno man.  All the brilliant posters told me to buzz off and my take was dumb because the Bills were letting them run at will, Lol.  Seems like it was a problem last week and again this week.

• Agree 2

17 minutes ago, zow2 said:

I dunno man.  All the brilliant posters told me to buzz off and my take was dumb because the Bills were letting them run at will, Lol.  Seems like it was a problem last week and again this week.

Soft & poor tackling defense.

Let Pickett get into a rhythm (yes, I'm aware that the Bills dominated the game), and did the same with Wilson today.  He completed 72% of his passes.  We let the Jets impose their will today, instead of being proactive.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.