What's wrong with Rodgers?

LeviF

What's wrong with Rodgers?  

121 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think is contributing to Aaron Rodgers' poor play?

• Lack of talent at skill positions
    • LaFleur
    • Ayahuasca
    • New contract
    • Weird hippie girlfriend
    • No pressure from the bench (Jordan Love sucks)
    • Other ('splain)
    • All of the above

1 hour ago, Captain Hindsight said:

I do think its alot of this. He complained about weapons and for years he had a top 5 WR and a tope 10RB and he was pissed they cut Jake Kumerow? GTFOH

Josh has the same opinion about Jake Kumerow.  He does a lot more on field than just catch a few balls.

1 hour ago, Captain Hindsight said:

I do think its alot of this. He complained about weapons and for years he had a top 5 WR and a tope 10RB and he was pissed they cut Jake Kumerow? GTFOH

Josh has the same opinion about Jake Kumerow.  He does a lot more on field than just catch a few balls.

What’s wrong with him? You mean beside him being a crying baby POS? 

well, he decided he wanted a $50m/yr contract and the packers had no choice but to let Adams go because they couldn’t pay him. So the answer is, Rodgers has nobody to throw to. He should rot in his decisions and look terrible for the rest of his days until he walks off the field for the last time with his stupid hair. 

oh, and if we want to start the same thread and ask what’s wrong with Devonte Adams, we can just swap out their names and contract numbers and it still holds true. 

• Like (+1) 2

I think across the league the trend is teams not having a run game. 
You have Aaron Jones and AJ Dillon and you can’t establish any kind of run game? Aaron Jones has always been kinda hit and miss but he’s only a miss this year. They knew they had to break in these rookies and probably should have focused on getting their run game going. 

Same for the Rams, for all the Kupp and Stafford love, the whole key to their offense has always been running the ball to set everything up. They miss Robert Woods more than Odell imo. Woods did all the dirty work and ran reverses and screens etc etc.. They got none of that this year. 

Rogers--he won't talk to his family, not patient with rookies, won't help teammates, $$$ deal burdens team.

I can hear him; "Stay off my lawn, kid!" It is time for the old guard to drift away(Rogers, Brady)

I am proud that Josh Allen is our QB

P.S. Rogers is going to get destroyed in two weeks

Edited by Since1981

1 hour ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

And hasn't appeared interested in a while.  He's so screwed in 2 weeks

Like anything it's a combination of factors.

It's obvious hearing him talk about the game he loves it. Dude has a photographic memory about every game and play, seriously. On PMT he was referencing down/yards/play what the defense was giving for looks, why he made a decision, for regular season games 10+ years old.

He is not without blame but I do blame coaching and GM. If you have a guy like that, disinterested in the game you're not giving him the proper help and not doing your job of motivating your team.

They can't make a player care, but they aren't able to even cause a spark. I give 60% coach/gm, 40% Rodgers.

Edited by BillsShredder83

His receivers aren't any good, his life has taken some strange turns the last year or so, no Adams, no pressure, rich af, career winding down, ego, and honestly it doesn't really look like his heart is in the game anymore. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if he hangs them up at the end of this year and just sort of fades off into the sunset. 

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Can the answer be "Aaron is wrong with Aaron"? I don't wish to over simplify but some of this is him. Some of the reasons he only has one Superbowl are him. Some of the reasons it isn't working at the moment are him. There was an English soccer player in the 00s name Steven Gerrard. He played for Liverpool who remind me in some ways of Green Bay. They are the Premier League's standard bearers for tradition and history. For Lambeau Field see Anfield. Historical venues, fanatical support, places where the history of the game seems to seep from every brick of the building. Gerrard was a Liverpool hero and a supremely talented footballer. While Rodgers isn't a local boy in the same way he is supremely talented and is adored by the fanbase. But Liverpool as a team never won a Premier League title during Gerrard's career and part of it was that Steven Gerrard had to be the biggest show in town and he had to let people know about it too. He was, in many ways, a walking ego. Coaches got fired when Gerrard disagreed with them. Players fell out of favour when Gerrard lost trust in them. Even ownership was in hock to him. I feel that a lot of those same things apply to Aaron Rodgers and Green Bay. 

But Aaron has always been Aaron, basically since his Superbowl win (if not before) he has been a huge ego and the main man for the Packers so why is it only a problem now? I think this is where it is more nuanced and his personality combines with the other factors that come into play:

1. Talent - Green Bay is at the end of a cycle. They are getting close to a rebuild and as such there isn't quite the talent around him that once there was. That is more noticeable at wide receiver where they traded Adams (a move that didn't really make sense at the same time as extending Rodgers) and have gone with a youth movement with Doubs and Watson and tried to cobble that together with some low ceiling vets in Lazard and Cobb plus the enigmatic Sammy Watkins. When Watson dropped that sure touchdown pass week 1 Rodgers reaction was what I'd expect. He threw his arms up, he rolled his eyes, he gave off the body language of a man saying "what more can I do"? And I'm not sure that helps those young bucks to develop and be confident. 

2. Coaching - Matt LaFleur is one of the in vogue fashion of hiring from the Shanahan tree. He did a good job initially of taking the weight off Rodgers's shoulders when he arrived from the McCarthy offense which had been the sort of West Coast offense that Bill Walsh might have recognised and basically if Aaron Rodgers didn't make the entire play himself plays didn't happen. The Shanny scheme was a perfect fit for Devonte Adams in that it values precise route running which is his best attribute and while it forced Aaron to play in a more regimented manner the reality was the scheme generally got him guys open. Now with Adams gone and the oline banged up Aaron is getting frustrated, he is getting away from the structure of the offense and he is trying to play his way. The Shanahan version of the west coast offense off of the stretch zone run game allows very little room for freelancing. And Aaron is seeing the scheme fail to get guys open and wants to freelance. And if they throw another bubble screen to Romeo Doubs I think everyone in Green Bay will vomit in their mouth. LaFleur is struggling to find ways to get his new guys open from scheme, Aaron is getting away from the scheme, and the whole thing is breaking down and looking messy. 

3. Desire - the well worn phrase is once a guy starts talking about retirement he is basically retired. It is hard to play in the NFL if your are 100% full committed. It is darn near impossible if you are not. I think Aaron thought that when he came back he would be all in but he looks like he is realising this team is not a Superbowl contender in the way they have been the last few seasons when they have blown two major opportunities in home playoff games against the 49ers in last year's divisional round and the Buccs in the previous NFCCG. And approach his 39th birthday I am not sure how much Aaron really fancies trying to work with guys who might be good in 2 or 3 years time. He has never loved getting hit but watch the way Tom Brady (who also hates getting hit) bounces up and gives his oline an earful still at 45 when he is knocked down. Now watch Rodgers wearily drag himself off the turf. I don't know if his heart is still all the way in it. If I had to guess right now here today? I'd guess he retires after the season. 

I had some thoughts, but this post pretty much summarizes everything.

• Thank you (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, strive_for_five_guy said:

The story on Rodgers is he’s passive aggressive.  When the Pack decided to trade Davante, I think he just said eff it, this organization is going to get what it deserves for not investing in more weapons around me.  Meanwhile collecting a nice paycheck, as others here have pointed out.

He's a douche, always has been...but his talent made it easy to overlook.  

I have a good friend who is a hardcore Packers fan...even when Favre was still there, he always said there was something about Rogers he never liked...he always seemed to have an attitude that football was "beneath me", but he had to suffer the fools around him.  

To me, he's always been smug.  I think the Devante Adams departure probably shocked him, and everyone else in the organization.  He is reaping what he sowed.

Edited by Buftex

It was the cleansing, it took it out of him…, 

5 minutes ago, H2o said:

His receivers aren't any good, his life has taken some strange turns the last year or so, no Adams, no pressure, rich af, career winding down, ego, and honestly it doesn't really look like his heart is in the game anymore. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if he hangs them up at the end of this year and just sort of fades off into the sunset. 

I know tens of millions of reasons why he won’t retire after this season. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.