Gabe Davis...best deep threat in the NFL?

Big Turk

1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Honestly…Davis is just another example of how 40 times are not remotely as relevant to a players performance as people on this board make it out to be.  

Football isn’t about running in a dead straight line with shorts on and no pads or defenders.  It’s why it’s maddening when people claim Devin is too slow when he has excellent change of direction and acceleration speeds allowing him to play faster than people think just because they have a bias towards his 40 time.  

Davis has become an excellent route runner, probably has a lot to do with Diggs, and he beats his man with his feet giving him separation.  And to be fair, it also helps having Diggs on the other side drawing a lot of attention too.  

Jerry Rice ran like a 4.71 forty, didn’t impact him and no one thought he was slow for example.  

Davis is becoming a beast, still don’t think he’s even reached his ceiling yet either.  

Well, I think the real issue is people making a big deal about a tenth of a second difference between some of these guys. A 4.5 is not much different than a 4.4.

And you are never just running in a straight line on a football field anyway. You are fighting off press coverage, running routes, reading the zones, hand fighting with defenders, etc.

So, yeah, a 4.3 is faster than a 4.4, a little, but it is not significantly faster in field results and there are countless other factors to consider with deep ball success. I think the #1 and #2 attributes are route running and ball tracking. I played some receiver growing up and tracking the deep ball was very difficult for me. It's a real skill.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

53 minutes ago, zow2 said:

Davis is gonna get a huge payday. Somewhere if not here. But let’s be real, he works perfectly with Josh Allen and that strong arm. They belong together.  I don’t think he’d be this productive anywhere else.

I think it's in his best interest to stay here. 

I know, I know, biased coming from a Bills fan, but I think leaving such a good thing with Josh behind could end up in a Peerless Price type way. He's great, but having a top tier QB & top tier WR opposite of him gives him so much more freedom. 

Edited by BigDingus
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Buffalo716 said:

Everybody thinks 40 time is the measure of a deep threat… but historically , the best deep threats we’re not smaller guys running 4.3s

typically they are 6’2 or 6’3 guys… long striders who can track a ball downfield without losing speed AND battling a DB for the ball

McKenzies 4.3 speed does nothing for his ability as a deep threat because he has trouble tracking a ball 40 yards over his shoulder while fighting a DB

TO , Eric Moulds , James Lofton , Moss, are prototype deep threats 

Davis is in that mold … His hundred time would be much better than his 40 time

Lofton and Randy Moss also happened to be very fast.  Lofton, I believe ran a sub 4.4 40 and Randy Moss ran a legit 4.3.  I think your point is legit, however.  

Edited by BigAl2526

1 hour ago, Buffalo716 said:

Everybody thinks 40 time is the measure of a deep threat… but historically , the best deep threats we’re not smaller guys running 4.3s

typically they are 6’2 or 6’3 guys… long striders who can track a ball downfield without losing speed AND battling a DB for the ball

McKenzies 4.3 speed does nothing for his ability as a deep threat because he has trouble tracking a ball 40 yards over his shoulder while fighting a DB

TO , Eric Moulds , James Lofton , Moss, are prototype deep threats 

Davis is in that mold … His hundred time would be much better than his 40 time

I'd just like to add Lee Evans. Dude played with some bad qbs, was the only player that needed accounting for.

• Like (+1) 3

I don’t think I have ever seen a WR attack the football like Gabe Davis. He snatches the ball out of the air. Goes up and snatches the ball and lands in one smooth motion without losing a step and in full speed. It’s impressive to see. He did it in college and now he has been doing it in the NFL. What a stud. 

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, BigAl2526 said:

Lofton and Randy Moss also happened to be very fast.  Lofton, I believe ran a sub 4.0 40 and Randy Moss ran a legit 4.3.  I think your point is legit, however.  

There's no way Lofton ran a sub 4.0 second 40... Has anyone ever done that?

26 minutes ago, BigAl2526 said:

Lofton and Randy Moss also happened to be very fast.  Lofton, I believe ran a sub 4.4 40 and Randy Moss ran a legit 4.3.  I think your point is legit, however.  

Yea I understand I put some burners 

but the height and length and ability to gallop downfield while tracking is always traits for deep threats 

the desaun Jackson’s and Tyreek hills are outlier’s 

15 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Yea I understand I put some burners 

but the height and length and ability to gallop downfield while tracking is always traits for deep threats 

the desaun Jackson’s and Tyreek hills are outlier’s 

Doesn't hurt if you can out-aggressive the safety for the contested ball

1 hour ago, gordong said:

We are going to have to enjoy Gabe...cause he is playing himself right off this roster.. unfortunately.

I know right. That sorry sack can’t even score on every completion he gets. 

no really, I know what you’re saying and I just hope Beane realizes how special he is and keeps him at all costs. 

1 hour ago, BigDingus said:

There's no way Lofton ran a sub 4.0 second 40... Has anyone ever done that?

Without looking. I wanna say that Bo or Deion were very close or were expected to be but didn’t run don’t remember. 

Carl Lewis was clocked at a 3.9 I believe though. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.