Gabe Davis...best deep threat in the NFL?

Big Turk

2 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

Everybody thinks 40 time is the measure of a deep threat… but historically , the best deep threats we’re not smaller guys running 4.3s

typically they are 6’2 or 6’3 guys… long striders who can track a ball downfield without losing speed AND battling a DB for the ball

McKenzies 4.3 speed does nothing for his ability as a deep threat because he has trouble tracking a ball 40 yards over his shoulder while fighting a DB

TO , Eric Moulds , James Lofton , Moss, are prototype deep threats 

Davis is in that mold … His hundred time would be much better than his 40 time

Regarding Lofton and Moss, they were also both legit sub 4.4 guys in in the 40 as well. True blazers on the field. It was almost unfair. 

I do think he'll have to do more to wear that crown, but 1 thing is abundantly clear. Gabe Davis would be the best WR on several rosters. The offseason WR concerns were overblown and that day 3 guy they drafted 'too late' is probably as good or better than most of the WR's drafted last Spring. They should have given a game ball to Beane. Even the backups were ballin' out.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, BearNorth said:

Not sure Minkah has ever had a receiver use pure hand and arm strength to rip away a ball he had his hands on.  That was a Wow, as was Allen's 65-YARD throw.

Yeah, I believe that is the longest air yards in the NFL this year...Bridgewater had a throw to Tyreek Hill on the Thursday night game in Cincinnati that traveled 61 yards that was said to be the longest air yards this season, pretty sure nobody topped that between then and Allen's throw.

• Like (+1) 1

Gabe Davis is the reason I can’t understand why people want OBJ on this team. Where would he fit? Why take away plays from Gabe?

I just hope Beane can figure out how to keep him long term.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

Everybody thinks 40 time is the measure of a deep threat… but historically , the best deep threats we’re not smaller guys running 4.3s

typically they are 6’2 or 6’3 guys… long striders who can track a ball downfield without losing speed AND battling a DB for the ball

McKenzies 4.3 speed does nothing for his ability as a deep threat because he has trouble tracking a ball 40 yards over his shoulder while fighting a DB

TO , Eric Moulds , James Lofton , Moss, are prototype deep threats 

Davis is in that mold … His hundred time would be much better than his 40 time

Yea I immediately thought of randy Moss, and TO. These guys were so strong. Track stats with no pads don’t translate to great football players, and Gabe is on his way. He just looks like the ideal prototype WR when he’s on the field. 

51 minutes ago, Rubes said:

Gabe Davis is the reason I can’t understand why people want OBJ on this team. Where would he fit? Why take away plays from Gabe?

I just hope Beane can figure out how to keep him long term.

Gabe and obj outside. Diggs in slot. Easy!

Diggs with free release would be unstoppable even more so than now

Edited by BillsShredder83
  • Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

Yep. In the immortal words of @Joe Ferguson "Time to move on with Gabe Davis. If the ball goes to him, you already know it's a wasted play."

How about this beauty?

On 9/21/2022 at 10:22 AM, Back2Buff said:

I 100% understand how the NFL works, and could give two craps if someone takes Shakir off waivers.  The guy just isn't quick enough to make it.

Stevenson has something that every team is looking for, speed.  I'm sure it will change after we play Miami on Sunday, but this team still lacks speed.  It will come back to bite them.

No you can't keep Stevenson on IR all year.  As soon as he is cleared, and he will be soon, the Bills need to make a move.

On pure raw talent, Stevenson>Shakir.

• Haha (+1) 3

I know a few people mentioned that Diggs takes attention away from Gabe (which I'm sure he often does), but on the 98-yard TD, Romo pointed out that the Steelers had both Stefon and Gabe double-teamed (and that was only the third offensive play of the game for Buffalo). So, it isn't always because Diggs is drawing all of the coverage away from Davis...and other teams obviously know that Davis is also a threat if they are doubling him that early in a game.

I remember marveling a number of times in his first two seasons (before the KC playoff game), how wide open he would be on a good number of his TDs. I don't know if there is a video of Davis TD highlights out there, but somehow, he has a knack for getting open/losing his man to the point that some of his TDs, you wonder where the coverage was because he is so wide open.

I assume as others have said that it is great route running, his long strides, and defenses underestimating his game speed. I also wouldn't discount scheme/playcalling by Daboll and Dorsey.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.