Gabe Davis...best deep threat in the NFL?

Big Turk

I am honestly not sure how Davis keeps doing it. He only runs a 4.54 40 which is average speed for a WR and certainly not the type of speed that would make you think he has the ability to consistently take the top off a defense, but yet here we are.

Since Davis has come into the NFL, he ranks 4th with an average of 18.0 YPC. The only 3 players ahead of him are either fading players like DeSean Jackson who is currently a UFA, Henry Ruggs who is no longer playing and likely never will again, and John Ross who is a bit player and a one trick pony.

All of them are speed guys. Looking at the receivers directly after him, you have Marques Valdez-Scantling, Donovan People-Jones and Breshard Perriman. Again all speed guys...

Davis doesn't fit the mold of a deep threat but yet he is one of the best ones in the NFL and consistently gets open deep.

So my question is how?? Is he simply great at setting up CBs with moves to get them turned or to slow down and then runs by them or does he have much faster play speed than what he ran in the 40?

I don't think anyone thought when we drafted him we were getting the NFL's best deep threat(by the numbers at least...I would still pick Hill obviously if I had to have one play) but yet he has turned into the big play WR for us.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 10
  • Agree 2

40 time isn’t always the ideal way to determine a deep threat. Route running, anticipation, hands, and most importantly football speed. There’s a ton of guys who can run a sub 4.40 but having that ability to do it in football pads is a different animal. He reminds me very much of Alvin Harper from the Cowboys glory days but with better hands. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

11 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

I am honestly not sure how Davis keeps doing it. He only runs a 4.54 40 which is average speed for a WR and certainly not the type of speed that would make you think he has the ability to consistently take the top off a defense, but yet here we are.

Since Davis has come into the NFL, he ranks 4th with an average of 18.0 YPC. The only 3 players ahead of him are either fading players like DeSean Jackson who is currently a UFA, Henry Ruggs who is no longer playing and likely never will again, and John Ross who is a bit player and a one trick pony.

All of them are speed guys. Looking at the receivers directly after him, you have Marques Valdez-Scantling, Donovan People-Jones and Breshard Perriman. Again all speed guys...

Davis doesn't fit the mold of a deep threat but yet he is one of the best ones in the NFL and consistently gets open deep.

So my question is how?? Is he simply great at setting up CBs with moves to get them turned or to slow down and then runs by them or does he have much faster play speed than what he ran in the 40?

I don't think anyone thought when we drafted him we were getting the NFL's best deep threat(by the numbers at least...I would still pick Hill obviously if I had to have one play) but yet he has turned into the big play WR for us.

Good point for a thread.

He uses size and his moves (reading coverage) to get open and gain separation.   His "game speed" is pretty fast.  

• Like (+1) 1

Everybody thinks 40 time is the measure of a deep threat… but historically , the best deep threats we’re not smaller guys running 4.3s

typically they are 6’2 or 6’3 guys… long striders who can track a ball downfield without losing speed AND battling a DB for the ball

McKenzies 4.3 speed does nothing for his ability as a deep threat because he has trouble tracking a ball 40 yards over his shoulder while fighting a DB

TO , Eric Moulds , James Lofton , Moss, are prototype deep threats 

Davis is in that mold … His hundred time would be much better than his 40 time

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 10
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 3

13 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Gabe worked on acceleration during the off-season.  He will be running with DB covering him and then he cuts and accelerates which makes DB needing to adjust and allows him to get ahead of faster player.  Reminds me of a race car move.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Honestly…Davis is just another example of how 40 times are not remotely as relevant to a players performance as people on this board make it out to be.  

Football isn’t about running in a dead straight line with shorts on and no pads or defenders.  It’s why it’s maddening when people claim Devin is too slow when he has excellent change of direction and acceleration speeds allowing him to play faster than people think just because they have a bias towards his 40 time.  

Davis has become an excellent route runner, probably has a lot to do with Diggs, and he beats his man with his feet giving him separation.  And to be fair, it also helps having Diggs on the other side drawing a lot of attention too.  

Jerry Rice ran like a 4.71 forty, didn’t impact him and no one thought he was slow for example.  

Davis is becoming a beast, still don’t think he’s even reached his ceiling yet either.  

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

There are opportunities for him in this offense that wouldn't be there in others. Against cover 2 defenses you can get behind the safeties. Since that's pretty much the only defense we face and defenses are focused on Diggs and Allen's legs it gives Davis those chances. I think we had some deep chances against Baltimore that Allen didn't even look at and it appears that we made that a priority this week.

55 minutes ago, george c said:

Where did you get that 40 time from, the combine? 

Yeah, 4.54 at the combine

54 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Honestly…Davis is just another example of how 40 times are not remotely as relevant to a players performance as people on this board make it out to be.  

Football isn’t about running in a dead straight line with shorts on and no pads or defenders.  It’s why it’s maddening when people claim Devin is too slow when he has excellent change of direction and acceleration speeds allowing him to play faster than people think just because they have a bias towards his 40 time.  

Davis has become an excellent route runner, probably has a lot to do with Diggs, and he beats his man with his feet giving him separation.  And to be fair, it also helps having Diggs on the other side drawing a lot of attention too.  

Jerry Rice ran like a 4.71 forty, didn’t impact him and no one thought he was slow for example.  

Davis is becoming a beast, still don’t think he’s even reached his ceiling yet either.  

Valid points...Davis is sneaky fast...like you don't think he is going to get by you but then in the blink of an eye he is ahead of you by 2 or 3 yards..

Rice however isn't correct...that 4.71 was incorrectly reported...multiple people there said Rice ran between  4.55 and 4.59...still not "fast" but at least average.

Also, Rice never seemed to get caught from behind so I imagine his play speed was similar to Davis' where it was much faster than his 40 time

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

40 time isn’t always the ideal way to determine a deep threat. Route running, anticipation, hands, and most importantly football speed. There’s a ton of guys who can run a sub 4.40 but having that ability to do it in football pads is a different animal. He reminds me very much of Alvin Harper from the Cowboys glory days but with better hands. 

Yeah, Gabe has an extra 2 inches and 10+ pounds (of muscle) over the average NFL WR (6'2" 210+ pounds vs 6'0" 200 pounds) so I imagine the encumbrance of the pads affects him less.

He's also "got that dog in him" to be the best he can be, so there's that for what it's worth.

Edited by 1ManRaid
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

Hey great game.. But I’m not putting any titles on him. 
Tyreek is definitely more deadly getting behind coverage deep imo. Jefferson is on fire 20-40 yards down the field. 
Gabe reminds me of Mike Williams in LA. He has the same kind of knack to get behind coverage. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.