Is Christian Benford better than Wallace?

John from Riverside

1 hour ago, finn said:

I'm going from memory, so take this accordingly, but as I recall he made two critical mistakes: allowing the winning TD in overtime against the Bucs by busting the coverage, and blowing covering in the famous 13-seconds debacle. Maybe his mistakes were few, but they were fatal. It's probably best he moved on. 

The Tampa play wasn't on Levi for me. It was on Leslie Frazier. He called a poorly timed blitz and the Bills got burned. The coverage against KC, yes, Levi has taken accountability for that play (although I think he took more blame than maybe he was due). I am absolutely not against Levi moving on. I think we have needed to upgrade that spot, but the question was has Christian Benford already proven after 2 games that he is better than Levi Wallace who was the starting corner for 3 and a half years on a defense that was top 5 three of those four seasons. I think that remains to be proven. Benford has proven he is athletically superior and that shed and tackle on Henry is a play I'm not sure Levi makes.... but Levi's contribution here should not be diminished. I am confident Benford and Elam are big upgrades. But I'm not ready to declare that after 2 games. 

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I like Benford (and Elam). But it is waaaay too soon to make that judgement. I liked Wallace. But he was a guy I always wanted upgraded. But league wide, more often than not upgrading from a guy like Wallace as CB2 is easier said than done. 

That said, I think Dane Jackson is an upgrade and is going to be a player in this league. I am really high on Jackson. The noise from drafting a guy in the first and the dark horse Benford is really muffling how important Jackson's play has been. He is head and shoulders better than both rookies currently, and only has 22 NFL games (10 starts).

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 4

5 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

I know it’s early I’m re-watching Monday nights game and I got a Telya I’m really impressed with Christian Benford he looked really good out there and made some key tackles on the Titans running back

He also didn’t get beat in coverage much

Is he already better than Levi Wallace was

“Got a tel ya” is all time Buffalo dialect

I don’t think you did that on purpose, but I like it!

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Rochesterfan said:

I would most definitely take Benford and Elam (and Jackson) over Wallace - especially long term, but there will be games where they get tricked and Wallace would have done his job.  

The key to all of this is the offense. As long as they don't get bogged down in too many games, 1 or 2 mistakes by a rookie can be overcome. But if these come in a game similar to LAR where turnovers (or penalties) kill off too many drives, that's when it will get hairy.

• Like (+1) 1

We'll have a better feel for how good our rookie CB's are after this week. Tyreek Hill, Jaylen Waddle, and Gesicki are the best group they will have faced to date, as well as possibly the toughest matchup all year. They will truly have to be disciplined in their assignments this week. One wrong step, one blown coverage, and it will likely be a TD. Hopefully we are knocking Tua around from start to finish as to make their lives a little easier at least. 

• Like (+1) 1

It often felt like the Bills were playing in a way to not expose Wallace.  He's clearly a limited athlete but a smart player, but as a limited athlete he had to always sell out hard on deep routes and left underneath often open.  He also couldn't keep up on slants.

Benford is probably a better fit for this defense just because of his athleticism.  McD can coach up DBs, you can't teach the intangibles.   

• Like (+1) 1

In his two game sample? Yes, yes he is, 

Go Bills!!!

6 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

I know it’s early I’m re-watching Monday nights game and I got a Telya I’m really impressed with Christian Benford he looked really good out there and made some key tackles on the Titans running back

He also didn’t get beat in coverage much

Is he already better than Levi Wallace was

ABSOLUTELY 

2 hours ago, Simon said:

Yes.

And Kaiir Elam is already not far behind.

I was gonna say... If I am judging their complete games, Elam was better in coverage Monday night than Benford was and he tackled well too. Not sure why the convo needs to be "Is Benford better than Wallace". Elam is the guy thats going to progress more with his talent base. Its a wonderful bonus that Benford is a ready made zone player and a great find for us!

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

if he can pay attention to what Kelce is shouting pre-snap to his teammates about his coverage and adjusts, then he is better than Levi Wallace.

im shocked no one else on the defensive line heard him.  You can just touch the other team and they have to blow the whistle for encroachment.  

26 minutes ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

im shocked no one else on the defensive line heard him.  You can just touch the other team and they have to blow the whistle for encroachment.  

They were busy listening in TO as Frazier sent out the same coverage twice....

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.