Could OJ Howard be on the trade block?

Inigo Montoya

30 minutes ago, 947 said:

I think we need Howard. Not for 2 TE sets, but for if Knox misses games. Knox plays like a madman and gets banged up a lot. We already saw that Sweeney is not a viable option as the only TE. Morris is an undrafted rookie, he seems like a good player but isn't ready for that role yet on team with super bowl hopes. We knew all along that Howard isn't the guy he was prior to the achilles injury, but he's the only TE on the roster who can be a weapon in the pass game if Knox gets hurt.

Morris is my sleeper pick to make roster.  The Bills really like him.  And they aren't playing him.  Either hes making roster, or they are trying to sneak him on practice squad.  Sweeney has made some plays, is well respected by teammates, and definitely has a shot at making team.  Both those factors, OJ will not be on Bills final roster IMO- albeit by trade or cut down day

Edited by Pete
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

2 hours ago, ddaryl said:

Howard was a positive yesterday....  We're definitely keeping him because option 3 and 4 don't come anywhere's close to surplanting him..  

TE will be a priority... again...  next spring IMO

A agree with you completely.  Bills keep 2 TEs on the roster and Morris is the priority TE on PS.  Where Sweeney ends up is anyone's guess.

It would not surprise me for the Bills to use a late Day2 pick on a TE next draft.  Early Day 3 at the latest.

Howard has been a disappointment. 

Whatever athleticism he possessed in college seems to be long gone.

At this point, I’m not sure he offers any more than Quintin Morris, and at least Morris’ arrow is pointing up and he plays special teams.

Still, without a trade, Howard might make the roster anyway…UNLESS the Bills are willing to eat $2mil.

6 hours ago, Niagara Dude said:

I say no,  other teams could of signed him during free agency.  Why would they give up draft capital now if they were that interested?  Very rare to do sign a free agents and then trade them that same year.

I agree and I don't see much quality pass catching depth behind Knox

Think Sweeney and Morris are surprising a bit an Howard to in a negative direction.

Article also mentioned how Giants TE group is very weak.

6 hours ago, TBBills said:

For what an 8th round pick? Who would take a guy that has never returned to his old self after his injury... especially with a contract.

They got a 6th rounder for Bodine!

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, ganesh said:

I think they need O.J. Howard.  Putting two TEs on the field will create mismatch for this offense.   I don't think Sweeney or Morris is that 2nd TE.

He has size that we lack for the end zone, he's more of a blocker all things considered. I think he's the 2nd best TE on the roster and sticks.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Pete said:

Morris is my sleeper pick to make roster.  The Bills really like him.  And they aren't playing him.  Either hes making roster, or they are trying to sneak him on practice squad.  Sweeney has made some plays, is well respected by teammates, and definitely has a shot at making team.  Both those factors, OJ will not be on Bills final roster IMO- albeit by trade or cut down day

I don’t feel the Bills can afford to take the cap hit by cutting Howard

6 hours ago, Pete said:

Howard, Hauck, Duke, Lawson all on trade block IMO.  GMen- what are you offering?  Broncos need a punter too.  Send us those 6th round draft picks!

I suspect the Bills prefer both Sweeney and Morris over OJ

Sweeney rarely got dressed last season and hasn't shown a thing this preseason, he's as good as gone or maybe he makes the PS.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 8/21/2022 at 7:18 AM, Inigo Montoya said:

Reading an article in The Athletic by Joe Buscaglia today and it mentioned OJ Howard;

"Once Allen had adjourned to the sidelines, Howard’s playing time began against the Broncos. Howard, Morris and Sweeney continued to rotate in at tight end, but Howard played more snaps than any of them. Howard took 34 offensive snaps (56 percent) by my unofficial count. He took advantage of a red zone opportunity by bringing in a touchdown at the end of the half. But you have to wonder if the extended time for Howard was the Bills putting their best foot forward to showcase the tight end for a potential trade."

https://theathletic.com/3524600/2022/08/20/observations-bills-win-broncos/

With Quentin Morris having a strong camp and roster spots being at a premium, moving Howard before the season starts opens up a spot for a young player that the Bills would probably lose trying to place on the practice squad like Spector, Blackshear, Brandin Bryant, or Isaiah Hodgins.  Trading Howard would also take about $2 million off the books this year.

Spector in particular might be worth locking up on the 53 man roster.   Edmonds, Matakevich, and Andre Smith are all UFAs after this season and Tyrel Dodson will be a RFA.  Will Beane really want to let Spector walk when he has flashed all camp and preseason?  It becomes a lot easier to use a roster spot and keep an extra LB or one of the other guys listed above if they trade Howard.  Beane's roster is deep and players he cuts this year are going to end up playing on other teams.  I'm sure he would rather trade than cut and get some value in return.  

Last season, we only carried 2 TE (3 if you count Gilliam).  I think it's pretty likely that Dorsey wants 3 on the roster.  So if they do try to trade Howard, it might not be to keep another DL or LB, but to keep a different TE.

The question with Spector and Blackshear is "how are they doing on ST?", BUT, I do think we at TBD perennially over-estimate the interest of other teams in the bottom of our roster.  Last season we couldn't manage a competent run game in the regular season much of the time, and when we did, it involved Josh Allen.  So I'm not so clear that other teams are as fascinated by our RB depth as we think they are.

On 8/21/2022 at 5:38 AM, DCbillsfan said:

I think Howard stays.  He's a good blocking TE and a red zone threat.  Morris has looked good.  Sweeney is a JAG.

OJH has the ability to be the best TE2 we've had in a decade.  I know that's not saying much but at least now we have 2 viable TE targets in the redzone. 

• Agree 1

Despite not having the best camp/preseason so far I'd still be inclined to keep Howard over Sweeney if that's what's on the table.

But if it's been even between him and Sweeney you get the sense they will still with the latter if anything because he's one of Beane's draft picks.

• Haha (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

OJH has the ability to be the best TE2 we've had in a decade.  I know that's not saying much but at least now we have 2 viable TE targets in the redzone. 

On One Bills Live today they had Greg Cosell in who analyzed the tape of the Bronco game.  He said that Howard was excellent in the blocking game in addition to his TD catch.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Why on earth would they want to get rid of Howard before seeing a meaningful snap? He can’t possibly be that bad in camp. Coming off that injury is no joke so maybe he’s not going full speed yet or he’s hesitant. I can’t see any reason to get rid of him at this point though. Especially without someone proven to take his spot. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Would like OJH to stick.

Feel we need a true TE2 to help block in the running game, provide protection for the QB, work in a spread formation, block and go for a pass, etc.  

Not sure we have been able to sell the 2 TE set in years.  It’s a good base for a diverse set of pass and run plays; keep the defense guessing.  Something we haven’t been able to do for some time.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.