Dwayne Haskins killed [Edit: struck by vehicle]

FireChans

6 minutes ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

The only time I’ve ever come close to running out of gas was returning a rental that I paid for the rental company to fill up after I dropped the car off. 

He’s was driving to airport in a rental.

Light comes on and you go get gas lol. It comes on usually when there’s around 30 miles range left. It doesn’t come on and the car dies right then. They beep and throw lights. 

Or it comes on that morning and you think you have 30 miles and you know you are heading to the airport to drop it off and there is no reason to stop to stop.

Then because it is not your car - you find out the hard way that you really only had 20 miles and you run out within sight of the airport. 

If he really ran out of gas - it should not change anything in what happened - he obviously thought he could make it and it did not happen - it is not the first time - it was just the most tragic time.

It does not make him cheap or ignorant or even at fault - these things happen everyday - to people of every race, background, and financial level - His just ended in a tragic way after wards and I really feel for him and his family.

• Like (+1) 4

8 minutes ago, Bray Wyatt said:

Hey I have never run out of gas *knocks on wood* so it is hard for me to say what I would do, however people still do it all the time for a variety of reasons

I worked for a company that does tows and had a contract with rental companies. My friend also owns a few tow trucks. Once the rental companies allowed people to return the cars empty they started getting tons of ran out of gas calls. The people don’t want to pay for gas twice and try to make it back to drop off with whatever’s left. 

He was in a rental going back to airport. 

1 minute ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

I worked for a company that does tows and had a contract with rental companies. My friend also owns a few tow trucks. Once the rental companies allowed people to return the cars empty they started getting tons of ran out of gas calls. The people don’t want to pay for gas twice and try to make it back to drop off with whatever’s left. 

He was in a rental going back to airport. 

I am not saying it isnt possible, just would seem weird to me with someone with that level of income would worry about gas

4 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

Or it comes on that morning and you think you have 30 miles and you know you are heading to the airport to drop it off and there is no reason to stop to stop.

Then because it is not your car - you find out the hard way that you really only had 20 miles and you run out within sight of the airport. 

If he really ran out of gas - it should not change anything in what happened - he obviously thought he could make it and it did not happen - it is not the first time - it was just the most tragic time.

It does not make him cheap or ignorant or even at fault - these things happen everyday - to people of every race, background, and financial level - His just ended in a tragic way after wards and I really feel for him and his family.

Lol you’re saying pretty much the same thing as I said. 

22 minutes ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

How else would you explain someone running out of gas. There’s plenty of notifications when you’re getting low. 

I was with a colleague few years back in NOLA. He had been working for this customer for 3 days before I joined him for the next 2. Car ran out of gas on the highway. I asked him to put it in neutral as there was an exit close by. I kid you not, we got to the exit, rolled down the exit , made a right turn and into a gas station before it stopped. 

I asked him the same question - did you not see the warning light and alarm. His answer was "I did, thought I would take care of it later and forgot about it".

So while I don't know how Haskins handled it, there are people who can tune out alarms even if they are literally flashing in front of them 

12 minutes ago, Bray Wyatt said:

I am not saying it isnt possible, just would seem weird to me with someone with that level of income would worry about gas

Could have also been a situation where he didn’t have time to stop for gas if trying to catch a flight, and erroneously thought that he could make it. May not have been intentionally trying to save money as the reason.

I feel bad now for allowing my mind to go in less savory and less forgiving directions regarding Haskins behavior/decision-making in the wake of his death.  I could easily have made the same error as Haskins and have had very similar close calls with regard to nearly running out of gas near an airport when trying to catch a flight.  While I didn't share my stupid thoughts publicly here on the board, shame on me all the same.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Bray Wyatt said:

I have a reasonably good income and beat myself up over pissing away $2 sometimes.

Add the hassle factor of making another stop especially if he was running a little late to catch the plane. 

I get it.  I could see myself doing the same thing. 

3 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

There is an illusionary feeling of safety that I think we get from driving in cars all the time that we're safe, but the reality is we are traveling at ludicrous speeds for what our bodies were built for, and vehicles are incredibly dangerous and a lot faster than we think.

It doesn't change how sad and tragic it is, but do not get out of your car on the highway and even more so do not try to cross it.

I ran out of gas a few year ago running late for the NFL draft.  It was my mistake in the morning not to fill up.  The Bills were getting ready to come up as I was listening to the radio...I just continued.  My car just wouldn't start in the parking lot lol after the draft was over.  We got Ed Oliver, who I really wanted so I wasn't even mad about the gas.

2 hours ago, delirious said:

I thought I read he had another woman in the car that was drunk. Might make sense for him to try to refill the gas instead of calling for his wife. 

Idk

Where did you read this???

4 hours ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

The only time I’ve ever come close to running out of gas was returning a rental that I paid for the rental company to fill up after I dropped the car off. 

4 hours ago, Bray Wyatt said:

Hey I have never run out of gas *knocks on wood* so it is hard for me to say what I would do, however people still do it all the time for a variety of reasons

HaHa!  Guess you guys never carted your cheap friends around after getting your license as a teenager😜  Loaded the car up with way too many passengers and yet we were always running on fumes.  Cheap bastards!

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.