Dwayne Haskins killed [Edit: struck by vehicle]

FireChans

RIP to Haskins, a young man with a family and much to look forward to. 

On the topic of Brandt, I was shocked to read what he said, and having listened to him mumble and ramble on Sirius NFL Radio I have no idea whatsoever why any producer said "let's get Gil's thoughts on this issue on live radio." 

At some point, the people running the show need to think these things through a bit and protect the brand, so to speak. You have Brandt on when you want to fill time in the 8 PM hour with a 20 minute rambling story about some offensive tackle from some nowhere high school that Gil scouted in 1971 and ended up as an UDFA for 1/2 a season on the Lions practice squad before retiring an opening a diner in the smallest town in Oklahoma. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Man with No Name said:

maybe he shouldn't have tweeted what he did, but it was not OUTRAGEOUS. certainly not worthy of the reaction it garnered. 

Brennan was long out of football and was a 6th rd pick who never had expectations above what he would become. 

Does not matter what Brennan was expected or not expected to do.  That’s the point.   Someone just passed away, tragically.  Leave it at that.  No reason to bring up anything else.  There’s plenty of time to talk about the rest down the line if need be.

• Agree 1

19 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Schefter is probably one of the more likable personalities out there.  

What he said wasn't appropriate for the timing but do believe the outrage is a bit much. 

certainly not here.  

18 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

I don't necessarily think Schefter was wrong in that Haskins was struggling to stay on, but he should really have thought about those words before putting them out there.  They served no purpose.  And Peter King this morning rightfully took Gil Brandt to task.  What he said was inexcusable, and it was inexcusable of the directors and/or producers of that show and/or his partner to not cut his mike immediately and issue an apology.  Brandt is old I get that, but you simply cannot allow him to do what he did.  Perhaps it's time for him to call it a career.

2 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

RIP to Haskins, a young man with a family and much to look forward to. 

On the topic of Brandt, I was shocked to read what he said, and having listened to him mumble and ramble on Sirius NFL Radio I have no idea whatsoever why any producer said "let's get Gil's thoughts on this issue on live radio." 

At some point, the people running the show need to think these things through a bit and protect the brand, so to speak. You have Brandt on when you want to fill time in the 8 PM hour with a 20 minute rambling story about some offensive tackle from some nowhere high school that Gil scouted in 1971 and ended up as an UDFA for 1/2 a season on the Lions practice squad before retiring an opening a diner in the smallest town in Oklahoma. 

Brandt is another story all together.  How does that guy still get paid to make commentary??  

4 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

certainly not here.  

Brandt is another story all together.  How does that guy still get paid to make commentary??  

I travel a lot for work, so I listen to Sirius NFL Radio quite a bit to pass the time. I really do think it's a way to fill 20-30 minutes of non-prime airtime. Get Brandt on to tell a story about something that nobody has any idea what the hell he is talking about or why. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BUFFALOTONE said:

I live in Plantation. This seemed so senseless, if he ran out of gas there was literally nothing in a 5 mile range unfortunately. My god, should have waited for road side assistance which is pretty common in that area, So sad...

The working theory (not confirmed) by those in Steelers media is that he ran out of gas on the way to the airport and was trying to make his flight by running to the airport  

edit: I’m not convinced that he ran out of gas. I’ve seen other reports that there was no abandoned vehicle. I’m sure more will come out. Details sketchy and 2nd hand right now. 

Edited by YoloinOhio

5 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

The working theory (not confirmed) by those in Steelers media is that he ran out of gas on the way to the airport and was trying to make his flight by running to the airport  

For real??  As opposed to calling AAA or something like that?  Or the rental company?  

58 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

I don't necessarily think Schefter was wrong in that Haskins was struggling to stay on, but he should really have thought about those words before putting them out there.  They served no purpose.  And Peter King this morning rightfully took Gil Brandt to task.  What he said was inexcusable, and it was inexcusable of the directors and/or producers of that show and/or his partner to not cut his mike immediately and issue an apology.  Brandt is old I get that, but you simply cannot allow him to do what he did.  Perhaps it's time for him to call it a career.

the only pause I have with Brandt is that (and grain of salt here, I don’t know him well yet alone his circle)…

a claimed associate of his came out this weekend and said essentially that he’s been in a sharp mental decline and that it’s shameful to even have him on the air in the condition he is in…. And it did not come off as Monday morning quarterbacking this particular incident but a bit of a longer term

power struggle over the last few years between those that care for the man vs those that profit from him

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:
4 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Left this thread for a bit.  People jumping on Schefter because his original tweet labeled Haskins as "struggling"?  

Is nothing unworthy of outrage anymore?

3 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Well, he works for a company and they told him to take it down, no doubt....because of the outrage.

Schefter's role was to break the story, not to eulogize him.  All that will come soon from many who knew this poor guy well. 

No one, certainly not me, is questioning his success in securing his financial future prior to his death (straw man...).  He was clearly struggling to get a starting job in the NFL; perhaps that didn't even need to be pointed out as it was well known by everyone. 

But your harping on Schefter including that one word as completely inappropriate is a bit of manufactured outrage.  That's my opinion on the overall  reaction to Schefter's tweet.  It's more a function of the general disdain for Schefter (certainly on this board) than it is for the legitimate lamentation of pervasive "poor taste" in society.

My "issues" notwithstanding, lol...

It's not....so I explicitly said so in the post you just responded to .

I wrote that as well.  Good pickup.

It's certainly a significant factor.  Schefter isn't a likeable guy.  

The only point I see is that this is manufactured outrage and that many of those people are overreacting because they have disdain for Schefter. 

i linked your posts on this subject that that I read above.  Please show me any points that I may have missed. 

2 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Schefter is probably one of the more likable personalities out there.  

What he said wasn't appropriate for the timing but do believe the outrage is a bit much. 

Schefter has both his Pros and Cons.  The issue tends to be he hears so much information and chatter and what to report and how to say it.

When he first started out he and Mortenson where about the only 2 guys doing that and were plugged in everywhere and he was generally viewed as a likable, honest guy.  More and more reporters have taken on that role adding pressure and timing to his job and especially in the eyes of certain players - he has gone to far and put out info that was not appropriate.

I get people being upset, but he did not say anything that was wrong or said to belittle Haskins - he is a struggling athlete trying to make the Steelers - it was just not the time or place and he admitted that.

I get the anger and he deleted the post and apologized for the wording and there is little left he can do except learn. 

What he said did not bother me as he described who Haskins was at the moment, but I totally understand the frustration - especially as this is not his first incident.

In times of anger, sadness, and frustration- the emotions must be poured out and sometimes that goes to someone that you can tangibly go after due to the slight and that is what Schefter is the lightning rod of peoples emotions.  He tweeted poorly and became the ire - he shouldn’t be destroyed over it.

Edited by Rochesterfan
  • Like (+1) 3

31 minutes ago, NewEra said:

The only point I see is that this is manufactured outrage and that many of those people are overreacting because they have disdain for Schefter. 

i linked your posts on this subject that that I read above.  Please show me any points that I may have missed. 

No, you got the points as I wrote them.  You even read them back to me!  Strong work.

I hope you're getting paid for this at least.

3 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Schefter's role was to break the story, not to eulogize him.  All that will come soon from many who knew this poor guy well. 

No one, certainly not me, is questioning his success in securing his financial future prior to his death (straw man...).  He was clearly struggling to get a starting job in the NFL; perhaps that didn't even need to be pointed out as it was well known by everyone. 

But your harping on Schefter including that one word as completely inappropriate is a bit of manufactured outrage.  That's my opinion on the overall  reaction to Schefter's tweet.  It's more a function of the general disdain for Schefter (certainly on this board) than it is for the legitimate lamentation of pervasive "poor taste" in society.

My "issues" notwithstanding, lol...

Laborers at the outrage factory have been working double-shifts, around the clock on this story...But the bottom line, as always, is that nothing Adam Shefter wrote, or could ever write, can make Dwayne Haskins any more dead, or his death any more or less of a tragedy. 

Edited by mannc
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

No, you got the points as I wrote them.  You even read them back to me!  Strong work.

I hope you're getting paid for this at least.

Copy that.  Not getting paid, just reassurances of character 

-You don’t think there was anything wrong with his first tweet.

-Most people were just hating on the tweet, not because there was anything wrong with it, but because they don’t like Schefter.  

got it

2 hours ago, mannc said:

Laborers at the outrage factory have been working double-shifts, around the clock on this story...But the bottom line, as always, is that nothing Adam Shefter wrote, or could ever write, can make Dwayne Haskins any more dead, or his death any more or less of a tragedy. 

I don’t think a lot of us (certainly not me) are siding with the outrage machine with regards to Schefter or Brandt. I’m just acknowledging that they exist and are going to do what they always do. And these guys (well, Schefter at least; no idea what’s going on inside Brandt’s head) as media professionals should know better and, basically, do their job better. I am not in media and I knew as soon as I read Schefter’s tweet people were going to have a problem with it. It was dumb, not evil.

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, JoPoy88 said:

I don’t think a lot of us (certainly not me) are siding with the outrage machine with regards to Schefter or Brandt. I’m just acknowledging that they exist and are going to do what they always do. And these guys (well, Schefter at least; no idea what’s going on inside Brandt’s head) as media professionals should know better and, basically, do their job better. I am not in media and I knew as soon as I read Schefter’s tweet people were going to have a problem with it. It was dumb, not evil.

Bingo.  As media professionals, they should know better.  

Brandt on the other hand…..oh man. Cringe Chick GIF

• Thank you (+1) 1

Two days after former Ohio State quarterback Dwayne Haskins died after being hit by a truckon a highway in South Florida, circumstances surrounding the accident remained unclear.

The agency investigating the crash said Monday that it will not release further information until it closes the case and declined to answer further questions about Haskins’ death.

Florida Highway Patrol spokeswoman Lt. Indiana Miranda said in a statement that traffic homicide investigations take approximately 90 days before completion. A report is then to be made available.

Edited by YoloinOhio

2 hours ago, NewEra said:

Copy that.  Not getting paid, just reassurances of character 

-You don’t think there was anything wrong with his first tweet.

-Most people were just hating on the tweet, not because there was anything wrong with it, but because they don’t like Schefter.  

got it

I wrote this, re "struggling":  "that didn't even need to be pointed out as it was well known by everyone"---you even quoted it in an upstream response. 

Certainly I believe that most here are coloring their response based on the messenger, not the message.  I've said it 4 times now.

I can't aid you further...lol.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.