Buffalo was in on Patrick Peterson

BillsMafi$

49 minutes ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

We really do need a Cb before the draft you don’t ever want to go into a draft with a glaring need. Else teams already know where you’re going with the first couple picks and will jump your pick to get a guy cause they know you’re targeting them. 

We were in on Peterson so I think Beene will add a veteran - have a feeling it’ll be Nelson, though I can dream about Gilmore 

Edited by Turbo44
  • Like (+1) 1

Doesn't surprise me. Probably wanted to get him on a bargain as evidenced by him staying in Minnesota for a year. This is the type of signing I'd expect. A vet with starting experience who can provide a little more coverage for a few games when Tre's out and provide depth and leadership behind our 1st or 2nd round, at a cap friendly price for a season. Big time signings or trades like Stephon Gilmore or James Bradberry is unrealistic. I'd be looking at Joe Haden or Steven Nelson. 

16 minutes ago, Turbo44 said:

We were in on Peterson so I think Beene will add a veteran - have a feeling it’ll be Nelson, though I can dream about Gilmore 

But why would you do that: 1) for a team that willingly moved on from him, and 2) that plays a zone scheme he is less ideally suited for, and 3) that asks its corners to actually tackle?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, hondo in seattle said:

I have a lot of faith in the FO but that doesn't mean every move they make is a good one.  The best GMs make mistakes.  And right now Beane has me worried about the CB position.  

But the offseason is far from over.  

I've not seen anyone make the assertion they don't make mistakes, but given the track record.. defaulting to "they made a huge blunder" doesn't make sense. In fact, I continually make the claim that beane is good because he limits the impact of his risks and moves on. 

I like Dane Jackson as a #4 or #5 CB, but I suspect much of the game planning and play calling was to give him help or mitigate his liability. That takes away from what the defense as a whole can do. I know our D was OK against weak offenses, but we still had issues. It wasn't all on Jackson either. Still, he's a significant weak spot in our D.

• Agree 1

16 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

To continue in the great tradition of Vontae Davis and Josh Norman.

...and it IS an even year!!

Don't forget Phillip Gaines, EJ Gaines, and Kevin Johnson. OBD has been veteran CB retread central for some time.

1 hour ago, GreggTX said:

I like Dane Jackson as a #4 or #5 CB, but I suspect much of the game planning and play calling was to give him help or mitigate his liability. That takes away from what the defense as a whole can do. I know our D was OK against weak offenses, but we still had issues. It wasn't all on Jackson either. Still, he's a significant weak spot in our D.

So in your estimation Dane Jackson is not good enough to be our 3rd CB.

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

He got way more money than I think Beane was offering.  

Didn't seem like a lot of money to me - $4M is Levi Wallace money.  Could be the market is drying up.  Or maybe relative to Rhodes/Nelson/or Haden it was too much, or they just prefer one of the other remaining CBs.

Getting a little tight though - kind of like when the market for the big pass rushers was thinning out.  Beane has come through before.  

16 hours ago, Utah John said:

Wallace didn't sign for a huge amount in Pittsburgh.  I think the Bills, who have watched him closely for years, figured he just wasn't ever going to be good enough, and that someone with equivalent skills to his would be available.  I'm sure this wasn't a careless decision on the part of Beane. 

Agree. Beane doesn't make careless decisions

17 hours ago, Utah John said:

Wallace didn't sign for a huge amount in Pittsburgh.  I think the Bills, who have watched him closely for years, figured he just wasn't ever going to be good enough, and that someone with equivalent skills to his would be available.  I'm sure this wasn't a careless decision on the part of Beane. 

He literally got Siran Neal money to put it in perspective. Possibly the Bills thought Wallace would get more on the open market but I think if they wanted Wallace back they would’ve beat the low number the Steelers gave him.

42 minutes ago, Sierra Foothills said:

Don't forget Phillip Gaines, EJ Gaines, and Kevin Johnson. OBD has been veteran CB retread central for some time.

So in your estimation Dane Jackson is not good enough to be our 3rd CB.

3rd corner meaning the nickel or 3rd corner meaning the 3rd outside corner?  He’s best as the 3rd outside corner…like he was last season. Thing is, he might be better than Haden and Nelson at this point. Meaning we’ll have 2 backup corners starting for the first 1/3-1/2 of the the year.

of we sign a vet, we should still be drafting a corner in the 1st 3rds, preferably 1-2 imo

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.