Edit! McKenzie is back on a 2 year deal worth 4.4 million

BillsMafi$

Couldn't be happier to hear this news!!!  Count me squarely in the camp who thought he was a goner simply because he played his buns off the last few weeks of the season and in the playoffs and would land a much more lucrative deal to play elsewhere.  He completely solidified Josh's trust in him, showed off his afterburners as something that our offense, WR position in particular sorely needs, AND my money is still on him to win the KR job outright this year, and give us stability at a position that we all at some point held our breath this past season.  No need in lyin, I'm harder than Chinese calculus right now....GO BILLS!!!

• Haha (+1) 2

2 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

If you don't think handing a 2 year $8M deal to an undersized 6th year receiver who can't handle kick return duties and is coming off 15 active games with only 178 yards receiving on the season is an over pay...............then you aren't very good at math........so maybe having a clock you have to set manually isn't right for you. :lol:

With all due respect, insulting a poster who views this as a bad move brings your football knowledge into question.

McKenzie was really the ONLY all purpose weapon Buffalo has had on the team for the last few years. Citing his stats is fine n dandy except we all know stats lie... especially when they're comprehensive season stats for a player who was given such a limited role this season. If you watched McKenzie play over the now 4 years he's been in Buffalo you'd see a player worth the money. At worst we've got our #4 WR & KR/PR. At best we might have a replacement for Cole and more of an all-purpose replacement who could even potentially be thrown in at RB every once in awhile.

WIN!!!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 hours ago, whorlnut said:

At the end of the year, Singletary played well and so did Bates. Are yoy willing to bet that is sustainable? I’m not. Not even close. I’m more inclined to think their true selves are somewhere between “meh” and average. 

it's only a 2 year deal and I do expect Singletary to play well next year....Bates too

5 hours ago, LOVEMESOMEBILLS said:

Per dollar better than Beasley's. Scored twice as many TDs on only 29 touches. Had only 21 less recieving 1st downs on 86 less targets, averaging a 1st down every 2 targets vs 1 for every 3.3 targets for Beasley. In the last 3 years McKenzie has caught 77 of his 99 targets. Except for receptions and targets all of Cole's other stats declined significantly this past year vs the year before.

I like Beasley and am thankful for his last 3 years, but he and Sanders clearly hit a wall the 2nd half of last year. IMO the Bills are better off next season without either one coming back. I'd much rather see what Gabe & McKenzie can do as full time starters. This year Diggs was our youngest starting WR, hopefully next season he's our veteran. It's time to get younger at the WR spot. 

This.

3 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

We are probably going to add another wide receiver to this mix that said Cole was not going to stay forever

Yeah, my guess is that this contract makes the most likely scenario another mid-range FA slot guy, but not an expensive one, and draft another.

I also wonder how much of this contract is guaranteed.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, LOVEMESOMEBILLS said:

Per dollar better than Beasley's. Scored twice as many TDs on only 29 touches. Had only 21 less recieving 1st downs on 86 less targets, averaging a 1st down every 2 targets vs 1 for every 3.3 targets for Beasley. In the last 3 years McKenzie has caught 77 of his 99 targets. Except for receptions and targets all of Cole's other stats declined significantly this past year vs the year before.

I like Beasley and am thankful for his last 3 years, but he and Sanders clearly hit a wall the 2nd half of last year. IMO the Bills are better off next season without either one coming back. I'd much rather see what Gabe & McKenzie can do as full time starters. This year Diggs was our youngest starting WR, hopefully next season he's our veteran. It's time to get younger at the WR spot. 

Great post!  I’ll add that McKenzie brings a real positive energy to that locker room as well.  I’m glad to see confirmation that the alleged “rift” between he and McD is clearly some b.s. conjured by fan and media supposition and not a real thing.

• Like (+1) 2

7 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

If you don't think handing a 2 year $8M deal to an undersized 6th year receiver who can't handle kick return duties and is coming off 15 active games with only 178 yards receiving on the season is an over pay...............then you aren't very good at math........so maybe having a clock you have to set manually isn't right for you. :lol:

We have not seen the details yet.  I have to think that potential performance bonuses are included in that number.  Also there was no mention of what his signing bonus was.  

Edited by BarleyNY

5 hours ago, gobills404 said:

Can’t wait to go from one of the best slot receivers in football to a gadget player who can’t even return kicks

I don't think Beane is done making moves at the wr position. Patience, grasshopper.

• Like (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, nucci said:

but he has played well before....why wouldn't he continue that?

My point is this…decency bias might be causing you to make a misjudged opinion. Did they finish the season on high notes?  Yes. Was their play always consistent?  No. Do they have major red flags to their games?  Yes. 

Just be careful judging your opinion off of a handful of games and not their entire careers. 

I get the sense Beane is the type of guy who has stubbornly worn the same pair of jeans nearly every day for the past 25 years.  

“They’re falling apart, sure, and they haven’t been in style ever, but they’re so durn comfortable I just don’t see why I’d ever part with ‘em!”

Edited by Coach Tuesday
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 1

16 minutes ago, whorlnut said:

My point is this…decency bias might be causing you to make a misjudged opinion. Did they finish the season on high notes?  Yes. Was their play always consistent?  No. Do they have major red flags to their games?  Yes. 

Just be careful judging your opinion off of a handful of games and not their entire careers. 

He's a decent player and we are probably losing beasley and Sanders. Replacing 3 WRs in one offseason is difficult. Also, it's not a ridiculous contract. I'm very careful with my opinions

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.