Edit! McKenzie is back on a 2 year deal worth 4.4 million

BillsMafi$

7 minutes ago, ngbills said:

I don’t mind McK on this roster. But to say he is our #3 so we are all set is scary. He is a fringe player. In the right match up he could have an impact but he could just as easily be inactive. You still upgrade at WR if you have the opportunity. 

I'm all for giving Mckenzie 70 targets next year as a 4th option behind Diggs, Davis, and Knox.

I do think they add another legit receiving target because we have no depth behind Diggs/Davis.

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede

3 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

Feel like he could have gotten more on the open market from a team like the Jets or Browns.

I doubt it. He has never done anything to deserve this contract. He was available last season for nothing and no one wanted him. Then he got benched, then had a big game vs the Patriots. That is pretty much it. He’s Jakeem Grant with less speed and less return ability. 

3 hours ago, Shake_My_Head said:

Well, if you say so.   

Beasley's best skill--which seems to be really under-appreciated around here--was finding the holes in zone coverage and keeping the sticks moving.  McKensie's a more dynamic player, but not as accomplished at that kind of outlet / hot-read / drive-extender play, IMO.   

It will be up to Dorsey to tweak the playbook a bit to accentuate 'Lil Dirty's strengths and not try to make him Beasley 2.0.

Yes, but McKenzie has never been given the chance in an actual role as a slot and McKenzies speed alone opens up the offense more then Beasley did. He was a reliable go to but wasn’t that consistent honestly Knox, Diggs, and Davis have been Allen’s go to. Beasley has been overpaid and over amplified if anything due to one good season with the Bills that he ended on an injury and hasn’t been the same. 

7 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

Hyde was actually pretty good in the couple of game he filled in. But I get not wanting him out there for every return. 

Hyde is out there for safety concerns not to fumble. He’s not going to get huge gains but he will secure the ball which is why he is put out there

5 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I doubt it. He has never done anything to deserve this contract. He was available last season for nothing and no one wanted him. Then he got benched, then had a big game vs the Patriots. That is pretty much it. He’s Jakeem Grant with less speed and less return ability. 

True but he's also a mystery to other teams. All the other teams see is a guy who has produced in the very limited opportunity's he has gotten. I could see a team with a lot of cap space and desperate for speed giving him more money. 

4 minutes ago, Rebel101 said:

Hyde is out there for safety concerns not to fumble. He’s not going to get huge gains but he will secure the ball which is why he is put out there

He also broke a couple for nice gains too from what i recall. I think that surprised everyone. 

17 minutes ago, ngbills said:

I don’t mind McK on this roster. But to say he is our #3 so we are all set is scary. He is a fringe player. In the right match up he could have an impact but he could just as easily be inactive. You still upgrade at WR if you have the opportunity. 

You’re a fringe player until you’re not. He wasn’t used until halfway through the season and he has produced when called on. While I haven’t been a fan of his for punt returns, I like McKenzie a lot in the slot. He is a mismatch with his speed. If the Bills were to go after and get Engram, I think the WR room is complete except for the possibility of a late round flyer on someone for punt returns. Not a fan of Stevenson, who I think get replaced. 

Edited by JimmyNoodles
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Buffalo716 said:

You have to remember... The draft used to be 10 plus rounds

Yes, ha ha. I remember when it was 17 rounds. Memories of Don Nottingham, "Mr. Irrelevant" in 1971 was pick 441.

• Haha (+1) 1

I'm glad McKenzie will be back and I think a 2 year contract is the perfect amount of time to sign him for. This is my favorite move of the Bills' short offseason so far.  I really thought he was gone, glad to see I was wrong.  I hope they either keep Beasley or find a replacement that isn't a rookie though, I'd like to see what McKenzie can do as a full time starter in the slot but at the same time wouldn't want to go into next season with him being our only option at the position. 

55 minutes ago, Putin said:

How about MacKenzie what were his stats for the year ? 

Per dollar better than Beasley's. Scored twice as many TDs on only 29 touches. Had only 21 less recieving 1st downs on 86 less targets, averaging a 1st down every 2 targets vs 1 for every 3.3 targets for Beasley. In the last 3 years McKenzie has caught 77 of his 99 targets. Except for receptions and targets all of Cole's other stats declined significantly this past year vs the year before.

I like Beasley and am thankful for his last 3 years, but he and Sanders clearly hit a wall the 2nd half of last year. IMO the Bills are better off next season without either one coming back. I'd much rather see what Gabe & McKenzie can do as full time starters. This year Diggs was our youngest starting WR, hopefully next season he's our veteran. It's time to get younger at the WR spot. 

Edited by LOVEMESOMEBILLS
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, LOVEMESOMEBILLS said:

😂😂 No he didn't. That was his stat total for both games in the playoffs, not just the Chiefs game. And the 1 catch for 19 yards in the NE game was in garbage time with Bills up by over 30 in the 4th. His average yards per game in the playoffs was pretty much on par with his 31 yard average in his last 9 regular season games and 1st downs per game.

Over his final 11 games as a Bill there’s nothing to suggest his game is anywhere near where it was in 2020.

Wow, while you're right about the stat total being for both playoff games, Beasley had a fantastic game against the Chiefs by any metric.

6 receptions for 60 yds on 8 targets is a damned fine game for a WR who played less than 50% of the snaps in that game

He also had a damned fine game against NO and the 2nd half against Tampa

Those are all games that suggest his game can be what it was in 2020 when (whatever it was - the play calls, the defensive coverage, the alignment of stars) were right.

Beasley's stats have always varied pretty widely from game to game depending upon the game plan and the defensive coverage

Yes, on average they did fall off the last 11 games (after he got speared in Miami) but you seem determined to overlook the strong contributions he did have in that time period, which is just as blindered (IMO) as the folks who insist that there wasn't a drop off.

This is awesome. I think if McKenzie is actually utilized in an offense consistently he can basically be a poor man's Tyreek Hill. And anyone criticizing me saying that's a good thing... look at the other WRs in our WR corps ahead of him vs the other WRs in KC's WR corps..

For some reason Daboll stopped using him this year until the 2nd half of the season. Loved what we did with him in 2020 with all the motions and jet sweeps.

I hope Stevenson figures out the return position so we can save McKenzie for the offense.

5 hours ago, Warcodered said:

Watching those highlights just never gets old.  'lil Dirty, you've come a long way as a WR, Baby.

5 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

Solid move... A lot of people overestimate his worth on the market

There are a lot of players like him in the league across 32 teams... And five to seven guys every draft come out with his attributes

he's a good athlete and worked himself into a good football player..  a good package.. but 5 to 10 guys a year come out with his skill set.. it's not a thin skill set in the NFL

Is it really?  5-10 guys a year with McKenzie's skill set?

I know there are a lot of guys who are training to be fast in the "underwear Olympics" but it seems like a lot of them are track fast and can't ball.

Then there are the ballers who can't play that fast

I guess if the average career lasts 3 years, you could name 15-30 guys with the skill set McKenzie has built?

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Look it up

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/McKeIs00/gamelog/

McKenzie started the 2021 season arguably #5 on the depth chart.  It limited his playing time a lot, especially as we cut down on 4 and 5 WR sets.

The point is, when he's gotten a chance to flash, he's flashed, it's not just one game.

I don't think the Bills offered him 2 years, $8M if they thought he'd be #5 in 2022.  Someone must think he's earned a shot.

Weird comment, since the post that chap was responding to contained facts

Maybe I'm biased and there were other times where he didn't shine but the two times I really recall him having the start over Beasley are the Dolphins and Patriots games at the end of the last two years and he nailed it in both of them.

1 hour ago, JaBu said:

Seriously, 30%?  Where do you find that number?  That would equate to around 15 players per team. Off the top of my head I don't think the Bills are even close to that number.

Last season:

Addison

Bates

Beasley

Boettger

Dodson

Ferguson

Gilliam

Haack

Kumerow

Cam Lewis

Obada

Wallace

Zimmer

-----------------

That's not counting guys who were mostly inactive or on practice squad like:

Ankou

Breida

Bryant

Gilles-Harris

-----------------

Now it's fair to say a lot of these guys are primarily STers or backups (Dodson, Ferguson, Gilliam, Haack, Kumerow) but ~5 of those guys were primary players at their positions most of the season (or until injured)

5 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I had him returning to Buffalo at $2.75M....(basically a $2M hit on the Bills cap).....if he really got $4M that's another $1M type over-pay.

So predictable....Even on Spring Ahead Sunday, I can set my clock by you

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Watching those highlights just never gets old.  'lil Dirty, you've come a long way as a WR, Baby.

Is it really?  5-10 guys a year with McKenzie's skill set?

I know there are a lot of guys who are training to be fast in the "underwear Olympics" but it seems like a lot of them are track fast and can't ball.

Then there are the ballers who can't play that fast

I guess if the average career lasts 3 years, you could name 15-30 guys with the skill set McKenzie has built?

Yes there's usually at least five football players every draft with the skill set to develop into that role... A hybrid wide receiver ,returner, running back 

Some are smaller guys like Isaiah.. some are bigger guys like cordarrelle Patterson... And the majority of them don't pan out to that level

But seeing Isaiah was cut from his first team and didn't pan out there .. it shows like I've always said.. players develop 

The knock on these type of college guys are that they're usually not good enough pure receivers to play full-time wide out... Or big enough to play full-time running back

5 hours ago, Dopey said:

maybe this? I don't see much here

So "I hate that guy" is kind of a running theme from Hyde.   2020, the team is boarding to depart for a game, it's snowy, it's cold, they're interviewing Hyde who is all bundled up and McKenzie strolls by wearing Chubbies short shorts and matching short sleeve shirt and Hyde spontaneously blurts out "I HATE THAT GUY!"

McKenzie is a noted trash-talker to his own teammates and evidently any time he catches one over them in practice, they get a major earful o' crap (or if they're sore and taking it off; Hyde said "you'd think he'd get tired and run out of energy, but he never does")

According to Hyde he also drove them nuts when he was on the scout team giving them "looks" for Lamar Jackson because he watched film of Jackson and instead of sticking to the script, he went off-script to do the kind of stuff Jackson actually does...Hyde credited him after the game for helping them prepare

12 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Yes there's usually at least five football players every draft with the skill set to develop into that role... A hybrid wide receiver ,returner, running back 

Some are smaller guys like Isaiah.. some are bigger guys like cordarrelle Patterson... And the majority of them don't pan out to that level

But seeing Isaiah was cut from his first team and didn't pan out there .. it shows like I've always said.. players develop 

The knock on these type of college guys are that they're usually not good enough pure receivers to play full-time wide out... Or big enough to play full-time running back

Fair.  McKenzie has certainly developed Big Time from when he got here, both as a receiver and a blocker

So I suppose a lot of it is, do they have the want-to to put in the time and the work?

I would really have liked Cordarelle Patterson but I suppose he's out of our price range

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Limeaid said:

Only the GOAT HC would not adjust defense overriding DC when he repeatedly burned defense when opposing offense had several many targets unavailable.  If is playing chess while other teams are playing go.

The 2nd New England game was partial due to poor coaching on their part.

True, belichick refused to adjust, but Mckenzie still looked deadly when the ball touched his hands and he made some great catches.  I don't expect him to be like that every week, but the bills don't sign him without Dorsey telling beane he wants to use him in his offense. I'm excited to see what Dorsey has planned for Mckenzies speed.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.