Khalil Mack traded to Chargers for 2nd and 6th round picks

FluffHead

25 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Close your eyes and for a moment imagine the Jets drafting Allen. Then evaluate Beane's performance. It has been filled with ups and downs. Diggs trade was amazing. Keeping Milano and Johnson was good. The contracts for Star and Murphy and some of the other dead weight he has acquired have been really bad. Even the decent FA signings like Morse and Williams were overpriced.  His drafts outside of Allen are good not great - Bass, Knox, Davis, Oliver all solid picks. Apparent terrible misses on Ford, Epenesa, and maybe Moss.  Edmunds is a story in and of itself. 

Without Allen, it's conceivable both Beane and McDermott would have been fired by now. But even with their mistakes Allen makes up for all of it. 

He’s had a bunch of bad misses.  As do all GMs. Literally, all of them.  

Mcdermott made the playoffs during a tank season with tank talent.  If we didn’t have allen, we’d probably have another QB that is likely better than Tyrod….and mcD likely would’ve made the playoffs with them too.  He’s a good coach.  

• Like (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

Bean has made it very clear by now that he thinks JA and a bunch of role players can win a Championship.  It can't.  The Rams proved this, the Bucs the year before who with Brady still went out and added key high-production players.  Bean is awful.  Thanks for getting us here, time for a GM who knows how to construct teams that can actually not blow games on D.  

So diggs is a role player? Wow, ok. 

24 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

It's easy to give credit to Beane for Allen and Diggs (although he could have had a younger, better player that the Vikings drafted with our pick).

But I think the biggest problem with all the slobbering over Beane is fans are projecting what they believe and think is going to happen under his watch (i.e. winning a SB someday) vs. the actual reality of the situation.

And that reality is a few division titles and one AFC championship blowout loss. And outside of Allen and Diggs trade most of his top draft picks haven't amounted to much so far. This is why a lot of folks feel he'd be better off making a Diggs like trade again but for the defense now.

No matter what way you slice it, if Beane doesn't make a power move soon in form of trade or FA signing there is absolutely nothing to indicate this team is going to be among the elite contenders in 2022. They may not even win the division depending on what the Pats and Dolphins do. Allen can't do everything especially with marginal garbage on defense which is still this teams biggest issue regardless of the hollow regular season rankings and stat padding against backups.

So third year in a row you are gonna go with Pats and Dolphins huh?  I guess if you keep saying it then it is bound to happen eventually and you can claim your victory.

I can't imagine the Pegula's are standing in Beane's way. If anything they probably greenlighted a move like this some time ago even if it means giving up multiple 1st round picks and/or backing up the brinks truck because that is what it's going to take to land a premier talent.

And a true elite pass rusher does so much for the rest of this team  that some folks may not even be considering including freeing up Ed Oliver more, helping accelerate Rouseau/Bashman's development, etc. Heck it might even make Edmunds look like a legit NFL MLB if he's still here.

1 hour ago, TheProcess said:

I would’ve gladly given up a 2nd and a 6th for Mack. That’s incredible. Hope we don’t roll out geriatric Hughes and Addison again. 

They gave up less because they absorb the contract. If the contract wasn’t structured that way it would have been more. The Bills could not have absorbed the contract and could sign another DE like Chandler Jones for a contract they can structure  to fit their cap in FA  and give up nothing. It’s a deal the chargers could do but most could not. 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Thank you (+1) 2

sorry guys, keep the day jobs, and leave the heavy lift to Beano cuz:

1. declining stats - https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/los-angeles-chargers/khalil-mack-14414/stats-valuation/ - missed majority of last seaso

2. wrong side of 30 - he is 31+

3. 3 years of increasing cap that we really cannot afford - https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/los-angeles-chargers/khalil-mack-14414/

so whose right the Bears or Bolts, we hall see, and I say Bears

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

Neither did Von Miller who was hurt and had low sack numbers the last few years with Denver. But he had 7 sacks down the stretch for the Rams in about half a season there and also had 4 sacks in the playoffs including 2 in the SB win against the Bengals.

I don't care about not getting Mack if something bigger is planned. But if we are sitting here a few months from now looking at a dline with mostly the same guys as last year + another marginal 4 sack a season FA and unproven draft pick I imagine a lot of fans are going to be a bit antsy and truly questioning the long term viability of this current regime.

Everyone knows what needs to be done and not just the fanbase....

You do realized we were 10th in the NFL in sacks and 5th in QB pressures right?  We also have 3 DE’s taken in the first 2 rounds of the last 2 drafts to get on the field more too.

Our need here is being over exaggerated.  I’m all for upgrades, don’t get me wrong, but people literally slamming Beane right now over not trading for Mack.

And yes, Miller did fine for Rams, but he was playing with the best DL player of our generation, and maybe ever, in Darnold, and that makes everyone’s job easier.  Doesn’t mean Von has same impact if he landed here, and Beane did inquire about a Miller trade too.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, junior said:

Can someone please find me a GM who's had a 5 year stint without a miss?

I’m not even sure if it was a miss. Time will tell.

But yes, NOBODY is perfect and gets it right 100% of the time. Just be right more than the other guys, that is the key. 

Would most of you agree this is our window? If so then it’s up to Beane and the coaching staff to take this to the next level. They have done a lot of good but we can’t play runner up anymore. 

Very soon we have decisions to make on Poyer and Hyde. The window is going to close at some point and we will need to replenish the roster, in areas where we have enjoyed much consistency since they arrived.   We cant afford to be whiffing on draft picks or drafting three Defensive ends every year hoping one will hit..

Parody is too great in the NFL , our team was supposedly the best roster last season but all it takes is 13 seconds to end all that talk. It’s not foolish to think we may see just one Super Bowl in the next ten years. 

Give me One Super Bowl and I can withstand whatever comes with it. 

I do agree though that we have to see how Free Agency plays out. It will be interesting to say the least. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, loveorhatembillsfan4life said:

Would most of you agree this is our window? If so then it’s up to Beane and the coaching staff to take this to the next level. They have done a lot of good but we can’t play runner up anymore. 

Very soon we have decisions to make on Poyer and Hyde. The window is going to close at some point and we will need to replenish the roster, in areas where we have enjoyed much consistency since they arrived.   We cant afford to be whiffing on draft picks or drafting three Defensive ends every year hoping one will hit..

Parody is too great in the NFL , our team was supposedly the best roster last season but all it takes is 13 seconds to end all that talk. It’s not foolish to think we may see just one Super Bowl in the next ten years. 

Give me One Super Bowl and I can withstand whatever comes with it. 

I do agree though that we have to see how Free Agency plays out. It will be interesting to say the least. 

The window is open as long as Allen is QB

• Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.