Khalil Mack traded to Chargers for 2nd and 6th round picks

FluffHead

39 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

He does and it is, but at some point he will have to get more daring with the cap IMO. He will have to get away from his desire to build depth in order to lure the extra difference maker or two we need. It's as I said earlier, you are not better with Hughes and Addison, you are better with spending the kind of money they counted against the cap combined in 2021 on a single guy who might get double digit sacks and who is going to finish in the big moments. 

We could get over the hump with the careful every year approach but if it isn't getting it done at some point you need to gamble. I'm not saying be reckless. But kick the can on Diggs's deal and White's deal to allow yourself the chance to get a potential difference making vet pass rusher. Hopefully one of the two big free agent options comes off. If not I think Mack was an opportunity and while it came with a cost attached I'd consider it an opportunity missed if we don't land someone else. 

I am going to say at this point I am a fan of doing the restructures to have enough to get that difference maker.....its just that difference maker still needs to be in the prime of their career and be a DIFFERENCE MAKER.....

24 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Thank you. It is relatively easy to throw around money to mid tier FA’s to build an okay unit. It is much harder to hit home runs. Every team in the NFL is trying to get better. We cannot continue to just try to stand pat. That’s how you end up a perennial bridesmaid.

Correct. I think we should be trying to get better at DB, HB, OL, EDGE, IDL, LB. sure you can’t get better EVERYWHERE, but to say having better players wouldn’t change the result of a game is flat out wrong.

Literally zero people are suggesting to stand pat.  Show me one person even remotely implying that.  We are saying get over Mack.  Big difference.  We have an 18 page of people whining about a 32 year old DE who doesn't stay healthy and hasn't had a double digit sack season in 3 years.  One that would not only cost us a lot of cap space, meaning LESS improvements elsewhere, but also cost us 2 draft picks we could use on other key spots like WR, CB, or even DL, especially the 2nd rounder.  

You alway paint a narrative thats not there.  ITs possible to not like the acquisition of Mack and still want to improve the team.  But by this thread, you would think our season is doomed because we didn't trade for Mack.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Literally zero people are suggesting to stand pat.  Show me one person even remotely implying that.  We are saying get over Mack.  Big difference.  We have an 18 page of people whining about a 32 year old DE who doesn't stay healthy and hasn't had a double digit sack season in 3 years.  One that would not only cost us a lot of cap space, meaning LESS improvements elsewhere, but also cost us 2 draft picks we could use on other key spots like WR, CB, or even DL, especially the 2nd rounder.  

You alway paint a narrative thats not there.  ITs possible to not like the acquisition of Mack and still want to improve the team.  But by this thread, you would think our season is doomed because we didn't trade for Mack.  

I want to upgrade our pass rush. If we sign Bobby Wagner and trade Edmunds for Hunter, im cool with that. If we sign Chandler Jones im cool with that.

If we are waiting for Boogie and AJ to develop into star caliber players, I am NOT cool with that.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, FireChans said:

I want to upgrade our pass rush. If we sign Bobby Wagner and trade Edmunds for Hunter, im cool with that. If we sign Chandler Jones im cool with that.

If we are waiting for Boogie and AJ to develop into star caliber players, I am NOT cool with that.

I would be stunned if Beane just relied on just Boogie and AJE to emerge this year.  I mean the number one thing Beane talks about is pass rush.  So I highly doubt he rests on whats currently on the roster.  

The over exaggerated panic because we didn't trade for a 32 year old DE who hasn't hit double digit sacks in 3 years, has durability issues, and a big cap hit is just classic TSW sky is falling gibberish.  

• Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I would be stunned if Beane just relied on just Boogie and AJE to emerge this year.  I mean the number one thing Beane talks about is pass rush.  So I highly doubt he rests on whats currently on the roster.  

The over exaggerated panic because we didn't trade for a 32 year old DE who hasn't hit double digit sacks in 3 years, has durability issues, and a big cap hit is just classic TSW sky is falling gibberish.  

2 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I am not saying we "need" anything, we have 3 guys we spent first and 2nd round picks on the last 2 years.  I expect them all to be a big part of the rotation and I think Rousseau has a lot of potential.  I expect them to sign someone, and I would be fine with a Chandler Jones.  But there are other options and more importantly, our whole season doesn't depend on it by any means. 

I am not going to sit here and say that if missed on two 32 year old defensive ends our season is somehow in jeopardy.  I am sure as hell glad we didnt give up 2 draft picks and all that cap space for Mack, that would have hurt our ability to shore up more pressing needs.

Who plays corner?  White is coming off an injury that can take a whole season to find his form again, and Levi is a FA.  Who plays DT?  Everyone says Star should or will be cut and Philips is a FA.  Who is catching passes if Cole gets traded?  What about our IOL and RT?  

So sorry, Mack wasn't;t the end all be all piece to get to a SB, and neither is Chandler Jones.  Could they start and help the team here, sure, but its NOT like we are doomed without them.  

Does not compute. 

no one is saying the season is over. That’s a complete strawman. Folks just want stars to get us over the hump. If we rolled with Boogie and co, I would still expect us to be a playoff team. I just would rather win a super bowl.

• Eyeroll 1

Just now, FireChans said:

no one is saying the season is over. That’s a complete strawman. Folks just want stars names they recognize completely unhinged from their results to make them feel better without regard for whether they would actually get us over the hump. If we rolled with Boogie and co, I would still expect us to be a playoff team. I just would rather win a super bowl.

I fixed it for you.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Malazan said:

You do love your strawmen. 

I wouldn’t want good DE’s if I felt we didn’t need them. I wouldn’t want them if I didn’t think they were good.

If you think Khalil Mack is washed, I get not wanting him. I really do. I disagree that he’s washed, but that’s your opinion.

1 hour ago, FireChans said:

I wouldn’t want good DE’s if I felt we didn’t need them. I wouldn’t want them if I didn’t think they were good.

If you think Khalil Mack is washed, I get not wanting him. I really do. I disagree that he’s washed, but that’s your opinion.

I don't think he's washed. I think his production is not commiserate with his salary, contract term and age. I'd rather put that money towards Jones or Ogbah.

Mack and Ogbah average roughly the same amount of sacks. I'd rather overpay Ogbah at 20-25 per for the next 3 years than Mack at 20. Ogbah could actually raise his output and has been more consistent the last 3 years. While still very good, Mack is clearly trending down. 

Edited by Malazan
  • Like (+1) 1

On 3/11/2022 at 7:37 AM, ProcessTruster said:

$140m contract.  $18m Cap hit annually.   No way Bills can go anywhere near that thing.   Think more like me before you post people.   

FIFY. 

The contract sucks, but you do realize they could’ve made it work if they really wanted to, right? They have the ability to create upwards of $30 million in cap space this year if they wanted to pull every lever. They won’t do that, but they could. But you knew that, right? 

Stud pass rushers cost big $. They didn’t want to do this deal? That’s fine. I understand that. But let’s not act like they couldn’t do it if they really wanted to. 

Edited by TheProcess

22 hours ago, nedboy7 said:

You want to copy the previous year's SB winner every year?   Beane has a plan and its working great IMO.  You can't make an argument we lost that KC game because we didn't do what LA did during the season. 

I want the team improved by any means necessary, if the off-season  moves are not adequately improving the team, then make some in season to fix deficiencies. We lost to KC because we didn’t have a difference maker on defense and our head coach and defensive coordinator are stupid at times.

On 3/10/2022 at 5:06 PM, Buffalo716 said:

Yeah because he spent a first round pick on Ed Oliver.. a first round pick on Gregg.. a second round pick on boogie.. and another second round pick on AJ

I think he is trying to solve it via the draft 

Whether it works out in the Long haul is up in the air but he certainly has thrown Capital at it

They also spent plenty of money on the dline also as of 2020 we had the highest paid dline in the league not sure we’re we ranked last yr but pretty sure it was still high. Nothing has worked could be a system problem. 

4 minutes ago, NastyNateSoldiers said:

They also spent plenty of money on the dline also as of 2020 we had the highest paid dline in the league not sure we’re we ranked last yr but pretty sure it was still high. Nothing has worked could be a system problem. 

I disagree with the team's approach to rotating DL. Other teams are able to deploy their DEs/DTs at 75%+ snap rate - why can't we? It feels like when you do this, you either lose out because your premier players aren't playing as much as they could, and/or you need to pay higher quality rotational guys because you don't want a C-level player out there for significant number of snaps.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.