Bills moving toward a return to St. John Fisher for TC

YoloinOhio

If they want to go anywhere, they should go back to Fredonia.  The great teams of the 80s and 90s used those Fredonia training camps to bond, with the players going out in groups to the bars.  No such situation is possible near SJF.  

I can't believe the Bills would sell fewer tickets to people in NW NY -- Rochester etc -- if training camp wasn't held nearby.  

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Just keeping their fingers in the fan base pie, smart business move, wether anyone likes it or not.

Go Bills!!!

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Don Otreply said:

Just keeping their fingers in the fan base pie, smart business move, wether anyone likes it or not.

Go Bills!!!

Serious question because I've never attended TC, but regarding the fan base comment....Would they not have their "fingers in the fan base pie" staying put for TC? I mean I'm not sure exactly what you mean, are fans not able to attend TC in OP when it's open to public or is it just a better experience for fans at SJF?

12 minutes ago, Donuts and Doritos said:

I thought McDermott preferred using their facilities in Orchard Park over St. John Fisher. Looks like the marketing guys won the argument over the football guys. Oh well, I did always enjoy taking the Fam to the training camps at St. John Fisher.

Exactly...you'd think they would want to stay where that top notch facility is that's considered one of the best if not the best in the NFL. But anyway

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, Donuts and Doritos said:

I thought McDermott preferred using their facilities in Orchard Park over St. John Fisher. Looks like the marketing guys won the argument over the football guys. Oh well, I did always enjoy taking the Fam to the training camps at St. John Fisher.

But he also commented that he liked what getting away together gave them and how it pulled the team together.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Sheneneh Jenkins said:

Serious question because I've never attended TC, but regarding the fan base comment....Would they not have their "fingers in the fan base pie" staying put for TC? I mean I'm not sure exactly what you mean, are fans not able to attend TC in OP when it's open to public or is it just a better experience for fans at SJF?

They went to SJF to expand their fan base going east, it gave that areas fans an opportunity to see the bills etc, it was a reaching out exercise, and by all accounts it worked. 

Go Bills!!!

• Like (+1) 2

I’m sure the players are completely supportive of living in a college dorm rather than their giant houses 🙄 

39 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

They went to SJF to expand their fan base going east, it gave that areas fans an opportunity to see the bills etc, it was a reaching out exercise, and by all accounts it worked. 

Go Bills!!!

I’d like to see the numbers, but I have a hard time believing they pick up many(any?) new fans by holding training camp at SJF. How many non-football fans would actually find training camp interesting. I’m a huge football fan and even I find most of it to be pretty boring. 

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 3

43 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

Go Bills!!!

4 minutes ago, PetermansRedemption said:

I’m sure the players are completely supportive of living in a college dorm rather than their giant houses 🙄 

I’d like to see the numbers, but I have a hard time believing they pick up many(any?) new fans by holding training camp at SJF. How many non-football fans would actually find training camp interesting. I’m a huge football fan and even I find most of it to be pretty boring. 

Agree with bold, I would think about 99% have been fans for a while. Maybe the 1-3 year old children in attendance were new lol

15 minutes ago, PetermansRedemption said:

Look, I’m only saying what I have heard about it in the past, and their stated reasoning behind doing so, I’m not taking sides here, it’s gentle banter about TC, it’s naught to get hung about. 

9 minutes ago, Sheneneh Jenkins said:

Agree with bold, I would think about 99% have been fans for a while. Maybe the 1-3 year old children in attendance were new lol

Those children you deride are the future money spenders, and future Bills fans, us old farts are already starting to drop like fly’s, and in twenty or so years from now a lot of us will be gone, big picture thinking is what your not taking notice of, The Pegulas are not taking this for granted, they want their daughter to inherit a team that has a as growing fan base, they know the yous and me’s of the current fan base will be dead or near to it not that far into the future. 

Go Bills!!!

• Haha (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

Those children you deride are the future money spenders, and future Bills fans, us old farts are already starting to drop like fly’s, and in twenty or so years from now a lot of us will be gone, big picture thinking is what your not taking notice of, The Pegulas are not taking this for granted, they want their daughter to inherit a team that has a as growing fan base, they know the yous and me’s of the current fan base will be dead or near to it not that far into the future. 

Go Bills!!!

What on Earth made you believe I "derided" the children?? Simply said these new fans you speak of at SJF likely were the only "new" Bills fans there. Anyways it's all good

7 minutes ago, Sheneneh Jenkins said:

What on Earth made you believe I "derided" the children?? Simply said these new fans you speak of at SJF likely were the only "new" Bills fans there. Anyways it's all good

Okay, it was a bit over the top on my behalf, I owe you a beer 🍺

10 hours ago, Utah John said:

If they want to go anywhere, they should go back to Fredonia.  The great teams of the 80s and 90s used those Fredonia training camps to bond, with the players going out in groups to the bars.  No such situation is possible near SJF.  

I can't believe the Bills would sell fewer tickets to people in NW NY -- Rochester etc -- if training camp wasn't held nearby.  

Agree the road back to the Super Bowl is through FREDONIA!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Don Otreply said:

Go Bills!!!

Yep, Roch is where most of the PSL - paying fan base will be found for the new $billion stadium, not so much buffalo.  team needs to think long term 

13 hours ago, Utah John said:

you don't think this team is bonded?

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, nucci said:

you don't think this team is bonded?

They need to stay tight together.  There will be situations coming up where players that have been Bills during the past four years return to excellence, are going to be traded or cut, and new players will be arriving.  That's a challenge for the team's cohesiveness.  It's important that the bonding process include the new guys so there isn't an old vs new mentality taking place.

13 hours ago, Utah John said:

As someone who attended some of those camps in the 90s, whose family is from Fredonia, whose grandfather taught there, I would love this just out of personal bias. I just know it's not happening.

I’m not sure the contractual agreement with SJF ever satisfactorily completed. One year remained prior to the pandemic a couple years back.

Additionally, as an old school guy, I’m good with teams going away for training camp as a way to truly bond the team for the journey ahead. But one big drawback now is how evidenced our great training and health facilities are in OP. 

Edited by Chandler#81
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

15 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

They would move everything there for just a two week stay?

They've been doing it for decades.  Why not?  It's a big hit with the fans.  

15 hours ago, Utah John said:

Plenty of bars for players to go to nearby.  What are you talking about?

11 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

More good news for ra-cha-cha

Meh....they tried to export an Anchor Bar to the best location (for pub crawling) in Rochester and it died a bad death.  

Edited by Mr. WEO

11 minutes ago, MJS said:

I find it interesting that some fans have a strong opinion about where they hold training camp...

Unless you are from the area and plan on going out to see the team.

I'm from Rochester and grew up literally right next to Pittsford Mendon HS (I can walk to catch the bus to get to TC at SJF).  I love going whenever I can.  Last year we went to Buffalo to catch it.  I liked it as it was a different experience.  I'd be fine with it in either location but just like it better at SJF.

Hope so, I live a couple miles from Fisher 

18 hours ago, Utah John said:

I dont think Bills want players spending time in bars

18 hours ago, Utah John said:

I dont think Bills want players spending time in bars.

Fisher was originally a  Brandon marketing idea to reach fans outside of Buffalo.  You can't assume Fredonia can accommodate training camp or even wants to. And it's only a couple weeks so the plauers don't get too homesick

18 hours ago, Donuts and Doritos said:

Its a compromise at just 2 weeks. No harm in being away from OP for 2 weeks

18 hours ago, Sheneneh Jenkins said:

I dont think there was much public access during pandemic but that could change,this year. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.