JA was #1 in 2021 avoiding sacks

BillsFan619

I think most of us already knew, but, no wonder Beane said his #1 off-season priority is to protect Josh.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/pff-bills-josh-allen-top-161518416.html

If you could only pick one, would you rather build up the o-line or get a proven, premium pass rusher?

Edited by BillsFan619
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 3

7 minutes ago, BillsFan619 said:

If we can only pick one, would you rather build up the o-line or get a proven, premium pass rusher?

Depends on who that premium proven pass rusher is, how much they’ll be getting paid and what it’ll cost (draft picks/players) to get them.  

My #1 priority as GM of the team Josh Allen plays for would be give him the best OL and playmakers as possible. 

That said, having a premier pass rusher is second only to having a premier QB.  It just depends on who that pass rusher is and what he’ll cost.  

• Like (+1) 2

28 minutes ago, BillsFan619 said:

If we can only pick one, would you rather build up the o-line or get a proven, premium pass rusher?

If you have a reasonable opportunity...........you gotta' do both.

Fixing the OL is FOR SURE a possibility........there will be options.

Turning the top pressure producing DL into more than a top 10-12 sacking DL...........the list of players who can do that is small and that path is wrought with high cost and/or high risk.

I know people think "well, the Chiefs did it, Melvin Ingram something......" but their sack production fell off dramatically this past season.........and it showed in the AFCCG when the not-too-slippery Joe Burrow escaped collapsing pockets against them.

41 minutes ago, BillsFan619 said:

If our line stays the same, it’s still a very good line (at least the iteration over the last four games and playoffs). Thus, given this choice, I go for the “premium” pass rusher. He moves the overall needle more. 

2 minutes ago, Doc said:

Getting a proven premium pass rusher with the Bills' cap situation will be almost impossible.  Especially if you're trying to improve the OL with proven linemen.

Let's try to keep the hyperbole to a dull roar.

It will cost them more than they'd prefer to do both...........and might cause them to push money down the line and maybe let a player they don't want to lose leave in 5 years or something..........but instead of looking at the cap situation as $208M for 2022.........it's really more like $1.2B over the next 5 years.

58 minutes ago, BillsFan619 said:

Protect your #1 asset. Continue to improve the OL. Enhance our running game. Call a few less designed 17 runs and continue to let him scramble when necessary. I don't know where our elite pass rusher will come from? Maybe FA or trade a pick?

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Protect your #1 asset. Continue to improve the OL. Enhance our running game. Call a few less designed 17 runs and continue to let him scramble when necessary. I don't know where our elite pass rusher will come from? Maybe FA or trade a pick?

I saw an article where they mentioned Chandler Jones as a possibility. Not saying whether we should get him or not, it just made me wonder what Bills Mafia thinks is more important to get since both are really important. Pass rusher or o-line? One protects JA for the long term, the other may get us over the top and help us finally win a SB (not that we can't win one without a pass rusher).

1 minute ago, BillsFan619 said:

I saw an article where they mentioned Chandler Jones as a possibility. Not saying whether we should get him or not, it just made me wonder what Bills Mafia thinks is more important to get since both are really important. Pass rusher or o-line? One protects JA for the long term, the other may get us over the top and help us finally win a SB (not that we can't win one without a pass rusher).

You're right. To finally get to a SB and win one we'll need an elite pass rusher. Jones would be great but we can't afford 17M which is what he's projected. I'm torn but leaning toward a offense heavy draft (Jameson,  Linderbaum etc) over taking another 1st round risk on a Jordan Davis or pass rusher. Maybe Ogbah on a cheaper fa deal?  Alot will ride on how Rousseau,  AJE and Boogie develop??

24 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Let's try to keep the hyperbole to a dull roar.

It will cost them more than they'd prefer to do both...........and might cause them to push money down the line and maybe let a player they don't want to lose leave in 5 years or something..........but instead of looking at the cap situation as $208M for 2022.........it's really more like $1.2B over the next 5 years.

There are several teams with needs at both OL and DE and loads of cap room who can outspend the Bills.  I expect the Bengals to load up on OL at least.

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

Hence the reason offense needs to be our #1 priority.  Improve the OL and weapons 

We need both.  

The Bills do not have a championship caliber defense right now. And more often than not, defense wins championships.

I love that Beane wants to keep adding to the O-line. That's a must when you have a franchise QB. But after that, more emphasis needs to be put on our defense if we want to win it all.

2 minutes ago, Doc said:

There are several teams with needs at both OL and DE and loads of cap room who can outspend the Bills.  I expect the Bengals to load up on OL at least.

There is a lot of demand...........there are also a lot of players who are going to be on the market.    And not nearly as much money to go around as there was supposed to be.    The Bengals have cap space.........but are notoriously "cash poor"..........have a suspect reputation and they have the worst facilities in the league.........so I don't think they are going to clean house in free agency.   They've got a built in excuse........"we gotta pay Joe in 12 months".........and Mike Brown is the kinda' owner that will sell that one.

17 minutes ago, Success said:

We need both.  

The Bills do not have a championship caliber defense right now. And more often than not, defense wins championships.

I love that Beane wants to keep adding to the O-line. That's a must when you have a franchise QB. But after that, more emphasis needs to be put on our defense if we want to win it all.

We literally had the best defense in the league…we weren’t good enough vs KC.  Our defense was good enough. We just didn’t make it happen

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

We literally had the best defense in the league…we weren’t good enough vs KC.  Our defense was good enough. We just didn’t make it happen

Correction:  we had the #1 ranked defense in the league.

It was FAR from the best defense in the league.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Success said:

Correction:  we had the #1 ranked defense in the league.

It was FAR from the best defense in the league.

agreed. it wasn't the best. it was the #1 ranked.  now it's time to walk back FAR from the best.  It was def a top 5 D in a league where there weren't ANY great defenses.  its hard to build a great D and keep a great D.   It's an offensive league and playing great defense every week is nearly impossible

• Like (+1) 2

I got triggered a bit listening to The Howard Simon show when Jeremy White brought up this stat and passed it off as reason not to upgrade the oline and get some skilled position players. An average NFL reciever can get open on any DB in the NFL when he has 5-7 seconds to get open. A dominant pass blocking oline with Diggs, Davis and Knox means huge numbers for our receivers.

If I’m choosing only one, there in reality is only one choice,  protect the franchise QB, it’s O-line all day every day.

In the KC game, neither defense was stopping JA or PM, although JA was the QB who got sacked the most between them, so yeah, it’s the O-line that gets the priority, jmo. 

Go Bills !!!

Edited by Don Otreply
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, ScottLaw said:

He was avoiding would be sacks all year…. Hell, the crucial 4th and 4 on the 17 play TD drive against the Chiefs he pulled some ***** out his ass to get the first after it looked like a definite sack as Ingram completely destroyed Spencer Brown. 

And yet Allen had his way, so thank you for another example of why O-line is the only choice. 

Just now, ScottLaw said:

I’m agreeing with you…. Just a prime example of Josh Allen bailing the offense and team out as he did for most of the year.

Absolutely, imo, he’s been bailing out the O-line hiccups for his entire tenure with the Bills, it’s time to get some mean  SOBs in front of Josh.  I really really hope our new O-line coach can whip this unit into shape asap. 

Just now, Process said:

Josh should take more sacks. If he gets sacked 70 times people can use it as a reason he is the best QB in the league like they do with Burrow. 

That’s exactly why we need Quentin Spain back

in the fold… 😂

• Like (+1) 1

On 2/21/2022 at 1:27 PM, BillsFan619 said:

I think most of us already knew, but, no wonder Beane said his #1 off-season priority is to protect Josh.

If you could only pick one, would you rather build up the o-line or get a proven, premium pass rusher?

This proves the oline is still a major problem despite the late season surge.

With that said, I'd still swing for the fences for a premier pass rusher with the assumption that this team can find some lesser FA olinemen to compete or focus on draft for that.

On 2/21/2022 at 4:27 PM, BillsFan619 said:

Is stiff arming defense player and running him into another incoming player considered avoiding sacks?

• Awesome! (+1) 1

On 2/21/2022 at 4:28 PM, Success said:

We need both.  

I think what your trying to say is we need an elite pass rusher or maybe just more elite defensive players. Because, although our defense failed in KC, it was the number 1 defense. It’s not like our defenses needs alot of work. What we need is another elite or two guys on defense, hopefully one being a pass rusher. But that’s expensive unless it’s homegrown on a rookie deal. 

2 hours ago, Southern Bills Fan said:

The O Line was really good once Bates came in. It really seemed to steady the line and they played really well at the end of the season. On the other hand, we sink almost all of our premium assets into the DLine and it doesn’t seem to get better. 

Imagine Josh Allen with an O line that could assert itself in both the run & pass game. It would require building through the draft, but Allen would be unstoppable. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, ScottLaw said:

It was better… really good? No. Again, Allen made them look better with his ability to elude.  

Agree. It got back to serviceable. It was really good in one game - the Pats playoff game - and New England had just run out of juice by that point in the season. People who want to just rely on Bates stepping in at LG, run back the other 4 and go again are asking for trouble IMO. 

On 2/21/2022 at 4:27 PM, BillsFan619 said:

I think most of us knew this watching every Bills game this year. Various commentators would talk about the "OL is doing a good job protecting Allen" and I would think to myself, "Yeah f*****g right!!! Allen doing his best Houdini in the pocket to escape every time he was about to get hammered."  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.