Why are people always talking pass rusher?

Marvlevydraftdaygenius

36 minutes ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

Man two punts from the number 1 defense? Wow look out 85 Bears  

Look what Allen did to the number 2 defense Super Wildcard weekend. Star QB’s on fire and with a good offense, can be hard to stop for any defense. Allen and Mahomes just made that quite clear at the end of the season. 

• Agree 2

5 minutes ago, Marvlevydraftdaygenius said:

Okay you remember the Jets game last year in the New Jersey when in the first half we let Sam Darnold run up and down the field against us we could not stop him all of a sudden the second half was different we’re in the first half we did not sack Darnold but in the second we sacked him 6 times and did not give up a 1 down.

Yes. They made some adjustments. I expect McDermott and Frazier were both involved in that. Frazier still called the plays. 

Your premise seems to be "every time we played well it had to be McDermott calling plays" with zero to back that up. 

• Agree 1

10 minutes ago, Marvlevydraftdaygenius said:

Yeah after McDermott is drawing plays in his hand to show Frazier what to run.

I don’t remember that, sounds like conjecture. I have to imagine there was some collaboration between minds and not just McDermott dictating to Frazier. 

Do you have anything specific to point towards to show your point? 

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Tanoros said:

I don’t remember that, sounds like conjecture. I have to imagine there was some collaboration between minds and not just McDermott dictating to Frazier. 

Do you have anything specific to point towards to show your point? 

Everybody including ESPN was talking about it.  I watched it live.

6 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

McDermott has pulled the playbook precisely once in 5 years.

I think I know what game you're referring  too, the 2018 home opener against the chargers as McDermott openly admitted it.

But How do you know that MCD hasn't pulled the playbook from him more out of curiosity?

I think with all the head coaching rumours swirling around Frazier the last couple years, I don't think MCD would openly say he pulled it from him again, as he is rooting for his friend to get a head coaching job. (Which would be a bad look on Frazier, if MCD said he pulled the playbook)

Not saying you're wrong, I think it's just hard to tell. (unless you actually have proof, Which you may)

Edited by BillsFan130
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Marvlevydraftdaygenius said:

Mahomes had a clean jersey the whole game.  There was no pressure and racked 12 in sacks yeah a majority of them came against the Jets and they have a franchise Qb.

And so did Allen - both for the same reasons: They managed to escape pressure that 95% or more of QBs could never escape.

When Allen does it to other defenses, he is amazing...

When Mahomes does it to our defense, Frazier sucks...

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

If you wanna base your opinions off one game, sure. Remember Tennessee had a heck of a pass rush against Cincinnati a few weeks back. That worked well for them, right?

Its the superbowl. This game matters a little bit more than most. Bucs won the big one last year with an insane pass rush too.

3 minutes ago, Awwufelloff said:

Its the superbowl. This game matters a little bit more than most. Bucs won the big one last year with an insane pass rush too.

It doesn't mean the defense or offense for either team shows up in the way they want or they typically do. A team can have a great pass rush and never get pressure at all, or a team with an average pass rush can end up with pressure and sacks all game long. In that way, it is just like every other game ever played. That whole, "On any given day..." thing. If it wasn't, then every Super Bowl would be the greatest game ever played.

• Like (+1) 2

6 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

The Rams had the #1 defense in 2020. Gave up 32 points and 500 yards in a loss to Aaron Rodgers in the division round last year. 

In 2019 the Patriots had the #1 defense and gave up 200 yards rushing to the Titans in a loss in the wild card round.

We have good coaches. They made a couple bad decisions in the playoffs. They deserve criticism, but be better Bills fans. You don't fire a coach like Frazier over that. We don't even know what happened.

What happened ?? We lost !!!

30 minutes ago, Buffalo03 said:

Have you not seen our pass rush? Or lack thereof I should say?

Meanwhile…..the bengals had 42 sacks….same as us. Not to mention, their D as a whole, wasn’t nearly as good as ours.  Our coaches hung our D (and the rest of the team) out to dry when it mattered most.    That’s why we aren’t playing.  Not lack of a pass rush.  Maybe lack of a pass rush when it mattered most….but our pass rush was the majority of the season. 

55 minutes ago, Marvlevydraftdaygenius said:

Okay you remember the Jets game last year in the New Jersey when in the first half we let Sam Darnold run up and down the field against us we could not stop him all of a sudden the second half was different we’re in the first half we did not sack Darnold but in the second we sacked him 6 times and did not give up a 1 down.

You have stumbled upon the concept of halftime adjustments.

51 minutes ago, Tanoros said:

Look what Allen did to the number 2 defense Super Wildcard weekend. Star QB’s on fire and with a good offense, can be hard to stop for any defense. Allen and Mahomes just made that quite clear at the end of the season. 

The issue with the Pats defense is the same as ours - it's predicated more on scheme and coaching than on talent. Compared to defenses like the Rams and Bucs which have a bunch of elite talent. If you want to stop elite QBs, you need a pass rush that can convert pressure into sacks. Judon was playing really well for the Pats early in the year but after his bout with covid he fell off a cliff. That's why they had no answer for Allen, and it's the same reason we had no answer for Mahomes. The Bengals pass rushers were able to get their hands on him. It made a big difference.

56 minutes ago, BillsFan130 said:

I think I know what game you're referring  too, the 2018 home opener against the chargers as McDermott openly admitted it.

But How do you know that MCD hasn't pulled the playbook from him more out of curiosity?

I think with all the head coaching rumours swirling around Frazier the last couple years, I don't think MCD would openly say he pulled it from him again, as he is rooting for his friend to get a head coaching job. (Which would be a bad look on Frazier, if MCD said he pulled the playbook)

Not saying you're wrong, I think it's just hard to tell. (unless you actually have proof, Which you may)

McDermott was asked about numerous times since and he has always said Leslie calls the plays. The people who need to bring evidence to bear are the people qho argue that is a lie. 

• Agree 1

58 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

If you wanna base your opinions off one game, sure. Remember Tennessee had a heck of a pass rush against Cincinnati a few weeks back. That worked well for them, right?

It actually likely would have, if Tannehill hadn't thrown 3 critical completions to guys wearing Bengals jerseys - including the one that led to the winning score

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BillsFan130 said:

Exactly.  No matter how people try to spin it, absent McDermott saying that there's only been one game in which I was involved in defensive play calling, none of us will know for sure.

The generally poor (and that's an understatement, in some cases) performance of the defense when playing quality QBs (hell, even Tannehill) is hard to explain away, IMO.

• Agree 1

Just now, GunnerBill said:

I mean he has pretty much said that. 

He's pretty much said that during Frazier's tenure as DC of the Bills, he's only been involved in defensive play calling one time, that one time being the season opener against the Chargers in 2018?

Would love to see that quote, or his comments confirming the same.

1 minute ago, Bermuda Triangle said:

He's pretty much said that during Frazier's tenure as DC of the Bills, he's only been involved in defensive play calling one time, that one time being the season opener against the Chargers in 2018?

It wasn't the season opener. Was the home opener. 

The presser I remember vividly was after the slow start on defense last year. It was either the week before or the week after the Tennessee game. 

16 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

It wasn't the season opener. Was the home opener. 

The presser I remember vividly was after the slow start on defense last year. It was either the week before or the week after the Tennessee game. 

Ah, yes.  In the season opener, Joe Flacco & Co.  hung 47 points on Frazier's defense.

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

I mean he has pretty much said that. 

Again though, Mcd is a leader.

When things go bad, he is going to take ownership.

When things go good, he is going to give praise so his buddy can get the credit and potentially get a head coaching job.

There certainly looked like times this year where Mcd was involved in the defence as he had the play call sheet in is hands.

We never will really know, just like we never will really know what happened on the KC kickoff as his response was "we didn't execute".

Edited by BillsFan130
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, Marvlevydraftdaygenius said:

Prove me wrong?

I’m supposed to prove you wrong that Bruce Smith and Reggie White wouldn’t get sacks on this defense?

You are clueless.

The Bills were 12th overall in sacks this past season.

Edited by Beast

22 minutes ago, BillsFan130 said:

Again though, Mcd is a leader.

When things go bad, he is going to take ownership.

When things go good, he is going to give praise so his buddy can get the credit and potentially get a head coaching job.

There certainly looked like times this year where Mcd was involved in the defence as he had the play call sheet in is hands.

We never will really know, just like we never will really know what happened on the KC kickoff as his response was "we didn't execute".

He is involved. Nobody is disputing that. But he does not call the plays. By his own words. Leslie Frazier does.

2 hours ago, Bermuda Triangle said:

Well, for example, it's reported on here:

https://buffalonews.com/sports/bills/bills-mailbag-what-to-make-of-the-alleged-rift-between-sean-mcdermott-and-brian-daboll/article_83474fbe-8b4e-11ec-bcd1-2fda67a415de.html

Robert Fitzgerald asks: No one seems to be talking about Leslie Frazier being a head coach anymore. Does that say anything about who’s to blame for those 13 seconds?

Jay: It certainly could. All the available head coaching jobs have now been filled, but Robert is right that Frazier’s name seemed to disappear from the conversation for any of those openings after the Bills’ loss to the Chiefs. McDermott made it a point during the season to mention how the Bills’ defense is Frazier’s system. That was meant to strengthen Frazier’s candidacy by pouring cold water on the idea the Bills simply run McDermott’s scheme. Of course, it goes the other way, too. When there’s as spectacular a failure as the Bills had on defense against the Chiefs, the defensive-minded head coach is going to have to own that, no matter who called the plays.

I find that our defense is quite good at getting pressure even though our only signature pass rusher is Jerry Hughes. This team is built differently than the Polian era Bills in that we aren't looking to add one missing piece in FA to get us over the top. I think given how close we are to the best teams I think that's frustrating for the internet GMs on here.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Name a great QB we faced in the playoffs? It's the playoffs!

Lamar Jackson? Watson? Mahomes obviously. I mean who are the better AFC QB's before this season? That's basically 3 of the top 5 in AFC. 

We haven't faced Burrow or Herbert yet. Herbert has to actually get to the playoffs.

you just made my point.  we beat ONE of those in the playoffs.  We beat Jones and last year Jackson and Wentz—who is not a great qb.  

And Herbert’s inability to get to the playoffs is due to his overall team, not him.  

We are held back by a bend and don’t break D that breaks under pressure.  

• Vomit 1

16 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

you just made my point.  we beat ONE of those in the playoffs.  We beat Jones and last year Jackson and Wentz—who is not a great qb.  

And Herbert’s inability to get to the playoffs is due to his overall team, not him.  

We are held back by a bend and don’t break D that breaks under pressure.  

We did not play Wentz last year. 

And we are not held back by defense. This year's divisional round was literally the first time our defense has been the major culprit in a playoff loss under this regime. 

• Disagree 2
  • Agree 2

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

We did not play Wentz last year. 

And we are not held back by defense. This year's divisional round was literally the first time our defense has been the major culprit in a playoff loss under this regime. 

your right Rivers last year.  

otherwise our D has not dictated the game and cost us last year in Champ game and this year in divisional.  

We also got gashed this year by a weak front 7 with the Colts game.  

1 minute ago, RyanC883 said:

your right Rivers last year.  

otherwise our D has not dictated the game and cost us last year in Champ game and this year in divisional.  

We also got gashed this year by a weak front 7 with the Colts game.  

The Championship game last year the D could have done better, sure, but that loss was on offense. 360 total yards ain't getting it done v KC. 

I thought your point wae about the playoffs? Now you are throwing the Colts regular season game in? 

5 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

The Championship game last year the D could have done better, sure, but that loss was on offense. 360 total yards ain't getting it done v KC. 

I thought your point wae about the playoffs? Now you are throwing the Colts regular season game in? 

yeah.   look we disagree, but we are not winning with this vanilla D without a stud in the front 7.  And yeah, why not add the Colts debacle.  Historically bad D performance.  2 this year.  

8 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

yeah.   look we disagree, but we are not winning with this vanilla D without a stud in the front 7.  And yeah, why not add the Colts debacle.  Historically bad D performance.  2 this year.  

True power run teams are a problem for us. But there is not a lot wrong with the defensive scheme and it is not as vanilla as you think. It got more vanilla without Tre. It made it harder to do some of the disguised stuff they do with their safeties when trying to protect two limited corners.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.