Pizza Hut in WNY

T&C

This just doesn't sound like a very good business move... I mean, pretty much anywhere in the 716 is going to have way better pizza than them. Who would go?

They use frozen dough so you might as well throw a Digorno's in the oven at home if you want the same thing.

https://spectrumlocalnews.com/nys/buffalo/news/2022/02/02/spokesperson--10-pizza-huts-to-open-in-western-new-york-by-end-of-2022

Pizza Hut closed all of its Western New York locations in the summer of 2020, but guess what? It's coming back. 

According to a company spokesperson, 10 new stores will be opened throughout the region by the end of this year.

Right now, the closest Pizza Hut locations to Western New York are in Rochester and Erie, Pennsylvania.

The exact locations have not been revealed just yet. 

Pizza Hut officials in a statement say they "couldn’t be more thrilled to serve more customers in the region."

I have a feeling that they will do well in less affluent neighborhoods. Williamsville (one of my favorite communities in the USA) is loaded with great places to eat. Even the fast food (Ted's and Anderson's) are top quality as far as fast food goes.  I simply adore that community other than the snow at my age. I could stand the cold but the snow is too much for me.

Pizza where I live is $27.00 for a specialty pie and going up. I am friends with a shop owner who told me that the price of his mozzarella has more than doubled and pizza boxes have tripled. I am sure that Pizza Hut does not face the same problems that he does as an individual store owner. Then again, who knows? :( 

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

It's economical. 

Digorno's is economical. There is 1 "decent" pizza place around here, that is it. So yeah, every once in awhile I'll get a frozen pizza if the urge hits but this is Florida, not WNY. That's why PH does "ok" here but there is too much quality competition back home. Back in the 80's they were a lot better... no frozen dough... but they have cheapened their product since then. 

11 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

I have a feeling that they will do well in less affluent neighborhoods. Williamsville (one of my favorite communities in the USA) is loaded with great places to eat. Even the fast food (Ted's and Anderson's) are top quality as far as fast food goes.  I simply adore that community other than the snow at my age. I could stand the cold but the snow is too much for me.

Pizza where I live is $27.00 for a specialty pie and going up. I am friends with a shop owner who told me that the price of his mozzarella has more than doubled and pizza boxes have tripled. I am sure that Pizza Hut does not face the same problems that he does as an individual store owner. Then again, who knows? :( 

Pizza is $27.00 and up in BFLo too.  😆  I ordered take out last month and dropped $50.  😆 

• Sad 1

If I had to choose, and full disclosure that I moved out of WNY in 1996, I would pick Swiss Chalet easily over Pizza Hut.  That place used to be ***** great.  I guess that you can still cross the border and buy their awesome chicken bbq sauce, but jeezus.  Wrong move.  Pizzerias exist all over WNY.  Why bring this trash heap back into the mix when there are already plenty of solid choices?

• Agree 1

57 minutes ago, T&C said:

This just doesn't sound like a very good business move... I mean, pretty much anywhere in the 716 is going to have way better pizza than them. Who would go?

They use frozen dough so you might as well throw a Digorno's in the oven at home if you want the same thing.

https://spectrumlocalnews.com/nys/buffalo/news/2022/02/02/spokesperson--10-pizza-huts-to-open-in-western-new-york-by-end-of-2022

Pizza Hut closed all of its Western New York locations in the summer of 2020, but guess what? It's coming back. 

According to a company spokesperson, 10 new stores will be opened throughout the region by the end of this year.

Right now, the closest Pizza Hut locations to Western New York are in Rochester and Erie, Pennsylvania.

The exact locations have not been revealed just yet. 

Pizza Hut officials in a statement say they "couldn’t be more thrilled to serve more customers in the region."

They read Augie's story over in the Mongo thread, and have been exploring markets for alternate protein enhanced pizzas. 🤢

5 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

They read Augie's story over in the Mongo thread, and have been exploring markets for alternate protein enhanced pizzas. 🤢

While I divested from responding in TSW in this offseason, and given the obvious reasons, having a Mongo-hate thread devolve into a really fascinating pizza thread is pure bliss.  If Mongo wants to make a pizza brand, and yeah I would totally give a Mongo pizza brand a whirl just to taste it, then awesome.  Put your money where your pizza oven mouth is, yeah?

2 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

All restaurants are facing shortages and tremendous price increases but these prices are barely reflected in government inflation index.

When I worked for commence department government appointees would not like figures generated and would tell people calculating figures use different items.

A friend of mine owns a Japanese restaurant and the sushi platter dishes tripled in price and many ingredients almost doubled.

She now does more than twice the business pre-COVID with most of that takeout.

My wife is manager of a large (2000 kid) high school kitchen and they have had to constantly change menus because items could not be obtained.

A great deal of this is due to worker shortages but some is changes in market with more takeout food and less sit in food meaning more packaging and less dishes.  USDA contributed to this with their "No child goes hungry" program which has caused shortages of everything from utensils to condiments to fresh fruit to prepackaged ingredients.  While it is a good goal this has resulted in many students throwing away food because to get the free meals students need to 'Strive for Five" and eat a balanced meal this has resulted in tremendous waste with students throwing food away including prepackaged food and some taking to use food as "decoration".  It is also bankrupting school system for USDA will not allow them to sell snacks which significantly helped pay for labor and USDA pays for food only not labor.  Labor need has more than doubled serving twice as many students most of which brought food from home and would only buy extra items like drinks (now only juice, water and milk can be sold), snacks and other non-set items.  Some students will go thru lines multiple times since in order to keep up with demand and since meals are not being paid for there is no record that student already had a free meal.  Students get hostile when being told that they were already line and even with cameras recording them getting food in line more than once they deny it.  School does nothing about it for it is "free".

• Like (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, Bad Things said:

Support your local businesses.

Pizza Hut is garbage.

For those of us NOT in New Zealand, Pizza Hut might be considered “local”.  😋

It can NOT, however, be considered great pizza. It is edible if you are sufficiently impaired, precluding driving for the good stuff, or knowing the difference. 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 1

I have really changed my views on Pizza Hut, and have become a big supporter.

I watched this show on the history channel about the pizza wars in the US. It is amazing— but outside of a few small pockets in NYC, no one had eaten or really heard of pizza through the 1950s and 60s in the US.

Pizza Hut created a model that brought pizza to the masses. Without it, there wouldn’t be all the great mom and pop pizza shops now all over the country. 

So, while Pizza Hut is meh compared to good pizza, I have an appreciation for it as a major pioneer in food history. 

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Pizza Hut always was in WNY---they were there in the '70s, '80s, '90s as far as I know.  

I remember going to birthday parties there as a kid.

I always kind of liked the pizza there to be honest!   LOL

As an adult, I find pizza to be kind of gross and it makes me feel sick after I eat it--which I do it about about once a year now.

I haven't had wings in many years--they are that much worse.  Kind of gross IMO.  

Edited by Nextmanup

I'm fine with Pizza Hut pizza, although I honestly haven't had it in years.

I think Dominos has upped its game.  For a while (and perhaps still), they had a deal through which every item on the menu was 50% off from 8pm to close.  I figured what the hell and ordered from them.  Pizzas and sandwiches were solid.

Current special looks like 50% off any pizza if you order online.

We have a couple very good pizza joints in town, but their prices have gotten insanely high.  So I'm perfectly fine doing Domino's for 50% off.  It has a time and  place.  I like to make my own pizza from scratch, but it's a lot of work and sometimes I need me some instant gratification.

Looking at the most recent flyer from Domino's and they have two large 2-topping pizzas for $21.

One large 2-topping pizza from a local joint would be about $20.

I'm all for supporting local.  But I'm more for supporting my own wallet.

• Like (+1) 2

38 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I'm fine with Pizza Hut pizza, although I honestly haven't had it in years.

I think Dominos has upped its game.  For a while (and perhaps still), they had a deal through which every item on the menu was 50% off from 8pm to close.  I figured what the hell and ordered from them.  Pizzas and sandwiches were solid.

Current special looks like 50% off any pizza if you order online.

We have a couple very good pizza joints in town, but their prices have gotten insanely high.  So I'm perfectly fine doing Domino's for 50% off.  It has a time and  place.  I like to make my own pizza from scratch, but it's a lot of work and sometimes I need me some instant gratification.

Looking at the most recent flyer from Domino's and they have two large 2-topping pizzas for $21.

One large 2-topping pizza from a local joint would be about $20.

I'm all for supporting local.  But I'm more for supporting my own wallet.

i have found Domino’s to be revolting. But then my very Italian neighbor who knows good food told me the same as you— whatever they are doing now, it is making the pizza a lot better. I still haven’t pulled the trigger on it though. 

52 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Years ago, as sales engineer, I sold a bunch of software to Domino's.  Fun fact?  In the first meeting with them (they were trying to buy a ton of storage on the cheap), they said, straight up, "we don't look at ourselves as a pizza company, but rather as a data company."  No wonder the pizza tastes like that!

6 minutes ago, TheCockSportif said:

Years ago, as sales engineer, I sold a bunch of software to Domino's.  Fun fact?  In the first meeting with them (they were trying to buy a ton of storage on the cheap), they said, straight up, "we don't look at ourselves as a pizza company, but rather as a data company."  No wonder the pizza tastes like that!

Yeah but you were probably talking to numbers people 

Ask The individual franchisee owner if he thinks they're in a data company or a pizza business.. I bet he wants to sell food

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

I watched this show on the history channel about the pizza wars in the US. It is amazing— but outside of a few small pockets in NYC, no one had eaten or really heard of pizza through the 1950s and 60s in the US.

I disagree with what they said... grew up in the 60's in WNY and there were many pizza joints. We were lucky to live rather close to a great one in Lancaster, Vargo's. They were around up until maybe 15 or so years ago at the same spot next to the fire station. The history channel was wrong on this one.

2 hours ago, T&C said:

I disagree with what they said... grew up in the 60's in WNY and there were many pizza joints. We were lucky to live rather close to a great one in Lancaster, Vargo's. They were around up until maybe 15 or so years ago at the same spot next to the fire station. The history channel was wrong on this one.

I probably misspoke, so don’t blame the history channel!! I have no doubt that there were small pockets of places that knew pizza in the US. It appears that these areas sprouted around WW2.

But the point I think was it wasn’t until 1960, when Pizza Hut was founded and took off, that pizza became a commodity and readily available throughout the entire country. It really caused pizza to explode in popularity and be made available for the masses.

i suspect eventually this would have happened— but Pizza Hut was the first business with this idea and the idea to expand it so radically. 

FYI— here is the show:

https://www.history.com/shows/the-food-that-built-america/season-2/episode-1

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

I probably misspoke, so don’t blame the history channel!! I have no doubt that there were small pockets of places that knew pizza in the US. It appears that these areas sprouted around WW2.

But the point I think was it wasn’t until 1960, when Pizza Hut was founded and took off, that pizza became a commodity and readily available throughout the entire country. It really caused pizza to explode in popularity and be made available for the masses.

i suspect eventually this would have happened— but Pizza Hut was the first business with this idea and the idea to expand it so radically. 

FYI— here is the show:

https://www.history.com/shows/the-food-that-built-america/season-2/episode-1

I was going to watch it but they wanted me to disable my ad blocker so that was a no go lol. I did read the caption though... had no idea Domino's was into the game that early. Reading up in the thread, it seems that Domino's has upped their product, there is one 4 miles away but I haven't been to one in at least 25 years. I'll check them out this week.

Still, back home has some excellent pizza parlors... almost every few blocks. To me its like on a Friday night, where do you want to go for a fish fry? Gabriels Gate, Little Margies, or Long John Silvers? Down here people will even eat Marco's pizza (horrible) because there is no real competition in that field. So, Pizza Hut works down here but I just don't see it thriving back in WNY. 

The only time I buy Pizza from a restaurant whether it is a chain or solo place is when I am travelling.

My wife is not a big fan of pizza.

I am on a low carb diet now and have never tasted a good low carb pizza.

My daughter like pizza but has never developed taste requiring buying from a restaurant rather than frozen pizza.

We occasionally buy a pizza when on road but lately we have just been buying frozen since timeshare has oven.

My most memorable experience with Pizza Hut was school activity where our group went to Pizza Hut and we were told it was all you can eat.  I believe it was varsity club. I ate 4 pizzas myself as well as drank two pitchers of root beer. 

We were told there was no take out (I think it was to prevent over ordering) but at end there were half a dozen different pizzas with leftover slices.  When we were leaving I asked lead "Can I take the pizza leftover home?" and lead said "No, that was agreement."  Waitress who found out was owner's wife said "We are just going to throw it away and packed all of the slices in a box and gave to me.  That boy has a big appetite and he even ate all of the crusts."

20 hours ago, Bad Things said:

Support your local businesses.

Pizza Hut is garbage.

They still employ people, pay taxes, and maybe the new franchise owner is local.

Not my favorite pizza, but they used to have a very reasonable lunch buffet when my daughter was little.  Super reasonable(at the time) for a meal with the family.  

Edited by BTB
  • Like (+1) 4

7 hours ago, T&C said:

You got me thinking….I was born in 1959 (just like the Bills), and my first memories of pizza came when I was about 10. For me, 1969 was an AMAZING year! Probably the best year ever for music, the Bills got OJ, and I discovered pizza! 

Pizza hut is garbage. Would rather frozen  pizza you get at the supermarket. Dominos is 100x better as far as chains go.

The stuffed crust is amazing though. Once in a while I'll order a stuffed crust pizza, end up throwing out half the pizza and eating the entire crust.

One of the most overrated things about WNY, is their pizza.  Never have experienced more greasier pizza anywhere in the world, than in WNY.  The inconsistency of places in WNY is something that I have never experienced elsewhere.  Every time I get a pizza from a "local" spot, it never is the same.

I would welcome Pizza Hut, because from what I remember, their pizza wasn't greasy.  

• Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 1

8 hours ago, Process said:

Pizza hut is garbage. Would rather frozen  pizza you get at the supermarket. Dominos is 100x better as far as chains go.

The stuffed crust is amazing though. Once in a while I'll order a stuffed crust pizza, end up throwing out half the pizza and eating the entire crust.

If you wouldn't mind, I would REALLY appreciate if you make this same exact comment in this topic, please:  

Thank you!!

I feel there is a market for them to at least do OK. After all, look at what dominos is doing. There is definitely a market for bargain pizza. Some people don’t want to (or can’t) spend $30 on a pizza. Dominos you can eat for $10. Pizza Hut was the same way when they were here. I used to get a stuffed crust pizza one or twice a year and it would be $11 and last me 2-3 meals. I’d happily pay $30 for a local stuffed crust pizza, but no one offers it. And, again, not everyone is willing to or able to do this. 

i suppose it may be the best of the chain places, but it's so damn greasy.  i think the last time i ate is was years ago before a baby jo baby mesi fight.  i then watched the entire thing, thinking i may poop myself at any moment.   i do appreciate the all you can eat lunch buffet, as we would get really high and go in high school.  outside of that the place is useless.  you can even get a pretty good pizza from wegmans on the cheap now.  in wny, there's just no reason to put that ***** in your body.

32 minutes ago, teef said:

i suppose it may be the best of the chain places, but it's so damn greasy.  i think the last time i ate is was years ago before a baby jo baby mesi fight.  i then watched the entire thing, thinking i may poop myself at any moment.   i do appreciate the all you can eat lunch buffet, as we would get really high and go in high school.  outside of that the place is useless.  you can even get a pretty good pizza from wegmans on the cheap now.  in wny, there's just no reason to put that ***** in your body.

Pizza Hut was everyone's go-to after middle/high school dances for us.  You just sparked that memory.  That particular Pizza Hut closed down about 3-4 years ago; although, we have two more in town.

These are probably the two best pizza joints where I live.  Pizza Jerks and the Harvest.  Pizza Jerks is more NYC style; Harvest has thicker crust, but it is PHENOMENAL pizza.

• At Pizza Jerks, a large 2-topping pizza will set you back $22 +tax.
  • At Harvest, they only make one size - 12 inches - and a 2-topping pie is $14.50 +tax.  They also do not deliver.
  • Just one of Domino's current specials is:  2 Medium 1-Topping Pizzas, 16-piece Parmesan Bread Bites, 8 Piece Cinnamon Twists and a 2 Liter of Coke for $19.99  (another special is 50% off of any online order).
  • One of Pizza Hut's specials is a large 3-topping pizza for $11.99.

https://www.pizzajerks.com/copy-of-menu

https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=291603322968089&set=pb.100063552701467.-2207520000..   (Harvest)

Yes - the local joints have the better pizza, obviously.  I think the Harvest price is more justifiable than Pizza Jerks, but only because I think Harvest is on another level.

But for the price, I think Pizza Hut and Domino's are a pretty sweet bang for the buck.  I'm doing Domino's for the Super Bowl since my brother took it upon himself to invite his wife and two of their adult children to my house for the game.

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

Pizza Hut was everyone's go-to after middle/high school dances for us.  You just sparked that memory.  That particular Pizza Hut closed down about 3-4 years ago; although, we have two more in town.

as far as chains go, it had its place.  i remember going there as a kid too, when they had beer/wine, the old school red cups,etc.  it started gong south in the early 2000s and never made it back.  

Edited by teef

2 minutes ago, teef said:

as far as chains go, it had it's place.  i remember going there as a kid too, when they had beer/wine, the old school red cups,etc.  it started gong south in the early 2000s and never made it back.  

Yep, agreed.  I'd say since 2000, I've probably had Pizza Hut a total of 5 times.  Domino's, from 2000-2020 - probably 3 times.  But I've had Domino's about 6-7 times in the last year, primarily due to their crazy specials.

3 minutes ago, teef said:

as far as chains go, it had it's place.  i remember going there as a kid too, when they had beer/wine, the old school red cups,etc.  it started gong south in the early 2000s and never made it back.  

Yeah I don't ***** with pizza hut anymore man. I may as well sit on toilet as I eat it

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.