Chiefs OC Eric Bienemy getting 2nd interview with Saints..

Big Turk

19 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Geesh, if you're gonna put this stuff out there, at least take 2 seconds to Google.

https://www.profootballrumors.com/2022/02/2022-nfl-head-coaching-search-tracker

New Orleans Saints

Dennis Allen, defensive coordinator (Saints): Interviewed 2/3

Eric Bieniemy, offensive coordinator (Chiefs): To interview 2/6

Brian Flores, former head coach (Dolphins): Interviewed 2/1

Aaron Glenn, defensive coordinator (Lions): Interviewed 2/2

Byron Leftwich, offensive coordinator (Buccaneers): Interview requested

Doug Pederson, former head coach (Eagles): Interviewed 1/30

Darren Rizzi, special teams coordinator (Saints): To interview

The Saints have interviewed Brian Flores, Aaron Glenn, and requested an interview with Byron Leftwich.  They've more than satisfied the Rooney rule. 

Unless you attend the Brian Flores School of "If there's a frontrunner going into a 5-man schedule of in-person interviews, It's A Sham!!!!" the simplest conclusion is if the Saints want a 2nd interview with Bieniemy, it's because they're seriously considering him.

It is crazy, but the Saints have had crazy cap situations before and maybe had a rough couple years then pulled it all together.

Yeah, after two crap years does a new coach then get a third one with no track record of success? Probably not.

Just now, Big Turk said:

Yeah, after two crap years does a new coach then get a third one with no track record of success? Probably not.

It's a fair question.  I guess the answer would relate to how crap the years were. 

In the Saints recent past "crap" meant 7-9.  They haven't had a bad season since 2005, the last year before Payton took over (and signed Brees)

The real question is what they plan to do at QB, because I don't think Taysom Hill and Blake Bortles will take them very far.

30 minutes ago, Bimmer323i said:

Yea I hear ya I guess at the end of the day I’m tired of hearing his name every year like he’s some offensive god when everyone knows darn well it’s Andy Reid’s offense… I don’t even think he calls the plays does he

It's a fair question just what is his contribution?  But isn't it just as much a fair question "just what is Kevin O'Connell doing under Sean McVay?" and "just what is Mike McDaniel doing under Kyle Shanahan?"

And yet being the OC under a HC known for his offense doesn't seem to slow those guys down from getting the opportunities 🤷‍♂️

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

It's a fair question.  I guess the answer would relate to how crap the years were. 

In the Saints recent past "crap" meant 7-9.  They haven't had a bad season since 2005, the last year before Payton took over (and signed Brees)

The real question is what they plan to do at QB, because I don't think Taysom Hill and Blake Bortles will take them very far.

I am not sure how his oddball contract works...but if Hill plays primarily at QB doesn't his pay go significantly up as well? Not sure they could afford that. 

Also, I know he wasn't the GM...but I feel like Payton had a say so in retaining him to that big deal...then sticks the incoming coach with him. They may be forced to roll with Ian Book. Not even thinking they can clear the funds to make a run at resigning Winston.

2 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

I am not sure how his oddball contract works...but if Hill plays primarily at QB doesn't his pay go significantly up as well? Not sure they could afford that. 

Also, I know he wasn't the GM...but I feel like Payton had a say so in retaining him to that big deal...then sticks the incoming coach with him. They may be forced to roll with Ian Book. Not even thinking they can clear the funds to make a run at resigning Winston.

I feel the same

• Like (+1) 1

Reid's shadow is pretty big (metaphorically and literally).  The one offensive coordinator he allowed to call plays under him (Nagy) struggled offensively as the Bears head coach.  It will take a larger leap of faith than usual for a new head coaching hire by the Saints given Bienemy's never called plays.  I said last year that the Chiefs should allow a lateral transfer to a team he can call plays for as offensive coordinator.  Similar to what Pettine did here before getting the Browns gig.

3 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

Reid's shadow is pretty big (metaphorically and literally).  The one offensive coordinator he allowed to call plays under him (Nagy) struggled offensively as the Bears head coach.  It will take a larger leap of faith than usual for a new head coaching hire by the Saints given Bienemy's never called plays.  I said last year that the Chiefs should allow a lateral transfer to a team he can call plays for as offensive coordinator.  Similar to what Pettine did here before getting the Browns gig.

Matt LaFleur did similar moving to OC with Tennessee before getting the HC gig in GB

I've kind of made the same suggestion - that maybe if he wants to be a HC Bieniemy needs to move out from Reid's shadow

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, Big Turk said:

I know he doesn't call the plays under Reid but he has been instrumental in their offense over the years and that would definitely hurt them so I hope he gets it...

He has had a dozen interviews over the years and never received an offer...I know they talk about racism and this that and the other, but when do we just say that maybe he is a terrible interview?

Im sure Dick Jauron and Doug Marrone were phenomenal interviews 

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Matt LaFleur did similar moving to OC with Tennessee before getting the HC gig in GB

I've kind of made the same suggestion - that maybe if he wants to be a HC Bieniemy needs to move out from Reid's shadow

A possible unintended consequence of the tweaked Rooney rule may be the Chiefs deny every request for him to interview as an offensive coordinator elsewhere.  Don't want to lose those potential extra third round picks if he is hired as a head coach.

10 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

Counter point: Couldn't he be paired with an OC that has called plays and let that OC call the offense? Many coaches do it that way. 

Follow up question: Ken Dorsey hasn't ever called plays. Was he a bad choice to pair with a defensive HC that will likely be handing the keys to the Corvette offense over to him?

7 minutes ago, bobobonators said:

Im sure Dick Jauron and Doug Marrone were phenomenal interviews 

Obviously

1 hour ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Yes, would be really hard for an owner (you know...a colleague of Dan Snyder and Robert Kraft) to explain why they hired asomeone to coach a player (you know, like Kareem Hunt) with a prior history of criminal behavior. 

Only boy scouts and choir boys allowed in the NFL from here on out

There is a big difference between being allowed in the NFL and being the main representative of the entire organization...

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Kmart128 said:

There is a big difference between being allowed in the NFL and being the main representative of the entire organization...

Oh, you mean like an owner? That's the person that year in and year out is the constant in an organization. Or maybe the QB? Pro Bowl player? 

Chuck Noll was a "main representation". Tom Landry. Don Shula. Guys that where out on front for decades.

Teams hire and fire a coach every 3 years. Doesn't make them a "main representive". They are just another replacable cog in the machine.

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

So if Kafka breaks down the opponent and installs the plays, and Reid calls the plays on game day, what does Bieniemy do?

I'm not trying to be snarky here, just trying to understand.

That's my point. I'm not even trying to be crappy to Bieniemy, but he's never going to get a HC job until he either starts calling plays instead of Reid or he goes somewhere else and has success. Mahomes says he loves him, but that's not enough to be trusted with a franchise. 

55 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

A possible unintended consequence of the tweaked Rooney rule may be the Chiefs deny every request for him to interview as an offensive coordinator elsewhere.  Don't want to lose those potential extra third round picks if he is hired as a head coach.

Could they do that?  I thought the rule change was that assistants could not be blocked from interviewing for coordinator roles.

In any case, Reid seems like a guy who cares about the development of his assistants, so if Bieniemy discussed the need for a change with Reid I can't see Reid blocking him.

5 minutes ago, Malazan said:

That's my point. I'm not even trying to be crappy to Bieniemy, but he's never going to get a HC job until he either starts calling plays instead of Reid or he goes somewhere else and has success. Mahomes says he loves him, but that's not enough to be trusted with a franchise. 

And I can see your point, and yet the counter-point that OCs under McVay and Kyle Shanahan don't seem to have trouble getting jobs, after less time and less success.  Don't McVay and Shanahan also call the plays?

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Where have the Bills hired an assistant offensive line coach?  First off, Phil Raucher was the Vikes OL coach last season, promoted from assistant.  Second, while the Vikes ESPN reporter reported that he'd been hired, this was quickly contradicted by Tom Pelissero and other Bills reporters such as Sal Capaccio, who said that while he was interviewed, no hiring decision has been made.

Last, Fact: the Vikings gave up 30 sacks, 5th best in the league last year and 3 more than the Bills.  The Bears gave up the most sacks in the league last year, followed by the Ravens then the Bengals, Jets, and Panthers.

You need a bit more attention to facts for people to pay heed to your theories about McDermott's alleged need for people he can control.

You're correct about both items I was wrong on,  I was reading off of someone posting on another site.  So that is still on me for being lazy and not to double checking,  I still don't believe Sean likes to hire more branded name assistants.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Could they do that?  I thought the rule change was that assistants could not be blocked from interviewing for coordinator roles.

In any case, Reid seems like a guy who cares about the development of his assistants, so if Bieniemy discussed the need for a change with Reid I can't see Reid blocking him.

And I can see your point, and yet the counter-point that OCs under McVay and Kyle Shanahan don't seem to have trouble getting jobs, after less time and less success.  Don't McVay and Shanahan also call the plays?

Yes, but I'm sure people around the league have similar questions on if a guy doesn't call plays and doesn't install the game plan.. things typically handled by the OC is he really the guy to be in charge? I think it's rather out of the norm that the OC doesn't do EITHER of those things.

9 hours ago, Big Turk said:

I know he doesn't call the plays under Reid but he has been instrumental in their offense over the years and that would definitely hurt them so I hope he gets it...

He has had a dozen interviews over the years and never received an offer...I know they talk about racism and this that and the other, but when do we just say that maybe he is a terrible interview?

I think 2 factors against him have likely happened:  1. not the play caller, allegedly, and 2. the past 2 years deep playoff runs likely gave him little interview prep time. (I favor no interviews till post SB for coaches). 

This probably won't a be a very comfortable take....but if you are the Saints, and in this racially charged climate..AND you are in cap hell and need to dog paddle through a season or 2 while you get your house in order....

you could hire Eric Bienemy and 

1. be percieved as a franchise that is giving a fair shake to minority candidates

2. If he overachieves with bad cap you win..you've got yourself a coach.

3. if he struggles as expected with bad cap situation, you hired him to fire him when you are ready to start over again anyhow.

EB gets his HC job, and financial security.

Is it right?  No.... but it's what I'm thinking they could be thinking.  It wouldn't surprise me if the leauge powers that be are calling the Saints and going over this scenario.

5 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I've seen this about Kafka elsewhere (maybe from you).  Can you explain how you know this?  I'm not challenging your information, would just like to understand its source.  Thanks.

Eagles ex-front office executive raved about him:

"I think he’s incredibly smart and really understands how to distribute route patterns across the field," a former Eagles' personnel executive told SI.com's Eagle Maven when discussing Kafka. "He’s the one putting Tyreek Hill on those deep overs into space and stretching out zone coverages to stress the defenders with concepts."

https://www.si.com/nfl/eagles/news/former-backup-qb-mike-kafka-could-haunt-eagles-in-new-york

The arm talent just wasn't there for Kafka but his football IQ and ability to learn different offensive schemes were off the charts.

https://sny.tv/articles/get-to-know-new-giants-offensive-coordinator-mike-kafka

https://www.si.com/nfl/eagles/news/mike-kafka-helped-develop-patrick-mahomes-appears-to-be-eagles-top-target

57 minutes ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

image.thumb.jpeg.b9a2a68d0f0ff1616a9132f2e343a523.jpeg

This definitely doesn’t help his case of being a HC. The fact that your name was involved with this is pretty bad

And it was so terrible that in 2010 the same college brought him back (with promotion to OC) and in 2020 were reportedly ready to offer him the HC position before he declined.

Edited by BuffaloBillyG

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I believe a team can still block a lateral transfer if they’re still under contract.  That includes offensive coordinator.  Could be wrong though.

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Counter point: Couldn't he be paired with an OC that has called plays and let that OC call the offense? Many coaches do it that way. 

Follow up question: Ken Dorsey hasn't ever called plays. Was he a bad choice to pair with a defensive HC that will likely be handing the keys to the Corvette offense over to him?

Obviously

First question - Absolutely.  If Bieniemy could sell that he’s bringing in a coordinator that will call the plays so he can focus on the supervisory role that a head coach has then sure.  Then it just goes back to the “leader of men” criteria clique that he’d have to sell to the hiring team.  Can he convince them of that?

Second question- we’ll see.  McDermott’s already established himself as a solid head coach so he pry gets more leeway.  The first two offensive coordinators he brought in both called plays before.

• Thank you (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

And it was so terrible that in 2010 the same college brought him back (with promotion to OC) and in 2020 were reportedly ready to offer him the HC position before he declined.

It just means that Colorado is a program well-known to turn a blind eye to bad behavior by members of its coaching staff.  Vance Joseph for example.

• Agree 1

21 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

It just means that Colorado is a program well-known to turn a blind eye to bad behavior by members of its coaching staff.  Vance Joseph for example.

And yet, Joseph was hired as a HC in the NFL. As was Matt Patricia who had a similar accusation thrown his way. So, teams not hiring Bieniemy and using his "rap sheet" on incidents from some that are almost 30 years old seems a tad disingenuous IMO.

12 hours ago, Big Turk said:

He might be bad at interviewing and explains why he doesn't get a shot, and like you said not being the play caller doesnt help.

12 hours ago, Big Turk said:

Eric should take Roger's job.  A win-win situation!

7 hours ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Bull.

Look at the rap sheets and misgivings of a great many owners in the NFL. That's ok though. Kraft, Snyder, Irsay, and the list can go on and on. 

Then look at the players in the NFL. Hunt, Mixon, Hill, Clark, Mike freaking Vick and again...list could go on and on.

Holding Bieniemy hostage over his own past is hypocritical, lazy group thinking and a huge cop out. 

The NFL obviously has no issue having him as an employee. The NFL endorses him year after year as a "recommended candidate" in their Coaching lists they send to all 32 teams. His past is in over argued excuse used by people that can't give a football reason why he isn't hired yet.

I do believe that EB does not interview particularly well. It’s been reported his interviews lack details. He’s had multiple kicks at the can but may be it’s not gonna happen. 

The not calling plays should be a non issue. Many HCs put that on the OC and it works fine, would be nice if he did but not necessary. 

His past is the more likely culprit. When Detroit hired Matt Patricia they went all the way back to his college days to deface him. 

NO is going to be bad regardless who gets the job, they are 75M over the cap? So most of the stats will have to be cut or traded. 

17 minutes ago, QLBillsFan said:

I do believe that EB does not interview particularly well. It’s been reported his interviews lack details. He’s had multiple kicks at the can but may be it’s not gonna happen. 

And why do you believe that? Because other people say that? Because someone sent a Tweet on Twitter? And do you really believe after all the interviews he's done he's not improved?

Without looking too hard (front page of 1 google search) I found an article that seems to disagree. 

https://www.nfl.com/news/chiefs-oc-eric-bieniemy-strong-interview-falcons-in-the-mix-next-head-coach

"Bieniemy, who is considered one of the top head-coaching candidates and who has interviewed for multiple head-coaching openings, "prepared, knew everything about the team, had a great plan and is a bona fide candidate," the source said."

That sounds very different than the picture you paint.

Attached is an article that includes a 2 minute impromptu interview at a highly emotional moment. (Right after Chiefs won Super Bowl). Gave thoughtful, meaningful and insightful answers. Well composed and easily coveys his message. You know, just in case you've never actually heard the mans voice.

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2020/02/chiefs-eric-bieniemy-interview-video-head-coach-jeff-allen-super-bowl

10 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

And why do you believe that? Because other people say that? Because someone sent a Tweet on Twitter? And do you really believe after all the interviews he's done he's not improved?

Without looking too hard (front page of 1 google search) I found an article that seems to disagree. 

https://www.nfl.com/news/chiefs-oc-eric-bieniemy-strong-interview-falcons-in-the-mix-next-head-coach

"Bieniemy, who is considered one of the top head-coaching candidates and who has interviewed for multiple head-coaching openings, "prepared, knew everything about the team, had a great plan and is a bona fide candidate," the source said."

Attached is an article that includes a 2 minute impromptu interview at a highly emotional moment. (Right after Chiefs won Super Bowl). Gave thoughtful, meaningful and insightful answers. Well composed and easily coveys his message. You know, just in case you've never actually heard the mans voice.

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2020/02/chiefs-eric-bieniemy-interview-video-head-coach-jeff-allen-super-bowl

Ive read several articles on it. I’m actually rooting for the guy. Those articles are easy to find. He’s had 10-12 interviews. Sorry but that is a lot of opportunities. Wish him the best. 

3 hours ago, wppete said:

New Orleans should go after Leftwich. Think he will be a good HC. 

He would have had the Jags gig if he was willing to work with current GM. He flexed to bring in his own in his colleague from Arizona. Khan decided to not go that route. Leftwich to his credit wanted his own gm for all the logic it brings. All on same page and much more stability in getting a real 4-5 year chance. 

3 hours ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

I wonder how much Matt Nagy's flop weighs in on a team's decisions because he definitely should get a shot at HC.

• Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, Big Turk said:

How do you know that?

10 hours ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

And yet, Joseph was hired as a HC in the NFL. As was Matt Patricia who had a similar accusation thrown his way. So, teams not hiring Bieniemy and using his "rap sheet" on incidents from some that are almost 30 years old seems a tad disingenuous IMO.

True.  But there are other reasons.  No one is saying that it's just this keeping him from becoming a HC.

• Like (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, Doc said:

True.  But there are other reasons.  No one is saying that it's just this keeping him from becoming a HC.

True. However, there are 3 other main talking points people like to use when talking about why he's not been hired. Zero of them have a lick of credibility IMO.

1. He doesn't call his own plays.

There are a good number of head coaches that have never called plays. There are a good number of coaches that have called plays and turn duties over to their Coordinator and don't call plays anyway. See; McDermott, Sean.

2. He doesn't interview well/speak well/is unprepared.

I've provided links in this post that refute that.

3. Kansas City plays too late in the season for him to be considered. The Super Bowl runs hurt him.

Oddly enough in this very cycle the Vikings are waiting for Kevin O'Connell. A 36 year old that has only been a coach for 5 seasons, never called his own plays. 

What's even more confusing is that most of the people (not saying you in particular) have never seen the man work. They have no clue what he does. They have never heard his voice. Obviously have never sat in on interviews, film studies or know anything about him other than what it says in his Wikipedia page and the talking points that others have stated over and over.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.