AFCCG - Bengals @ Chiefs

Steptide

Good for the Bengals. Definitely makes the Bills loss easier ( a little bit) to take. I still think the Bills would have bea the Bengals in OP because Josh is just better and his rushing / passing would be too much for them.  Can’t comment on their defense too much as I didn’t see any of the game except the final few minutes. All 22 will tell the story. Good news is maybe  there won’t be so much Mahomes GOAT talk now. Chiefs fans needed some misery. 

Edited by Boatdrinks
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

i am referring to the bulk of the game. I agree that both the scheme

and execution was not right in the 13 seconds.  But the overall defensive scheme that the Bills ran was the same as the bengals did today. Bengals just executed better and Mahomes executed at a much poorer level. 

Yeah scheme wasn't the problem last week until the final 13 seconds. The problem was no one on defense made an exceptional play. It's telling that former bust Eli Apple made more plays in this game than both of our CBs combined.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

i am referring to the bulk of the game. I agree that both the scheme

and execution was not right in the 13 seconds.  But the overall defensive scheme that the Bills ran was the same as the bengals did today. Bengals just executed better and Mahomes executed at a much poorer level. 

Disagree.  Cincy did run our strategy in the 1st half, then adjusted in the 2nd half.  Granted they got some breaks, dropped passes etc.  

But they mixed it up with blitzing LBs, and running 3 man pass rushes w/spy or delayed Blitzer.  They realized at halftime that their defensive strategy just wasn't going to cut it, and followed up by only giving up 3 points in the 2nd half and stopping Mahomes in OT.  

Way different coaching strategy, not just execution.

Will add that they completely shut down Tyreek in the 2nd half...by changing their coverages.  At no point, did we adjust like Cincy. instead we played scared to give up the big pass play.  

Edited by MasterStrategist
  • Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

He is a complete troll. I went into the Josh Allen draft reaction thread. @Zerovoltzwas on the first page laughing about the pick. 
Mahomes played like hot garbage in the second half and Reid went back to looking like the choke artist who lost in Philly all those years. 

Chiefs regress 2 straight years in playoffs.  Sugar high Patrick just didn’t get it done

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Just now, ScottLaw said:

McDs 8-9 man line rotation is also above criticism.

Yeah, I think it's a pretty silly concept too.  I've said it a lot, but I'm sick of seeing Mario "kind of got close but whiffed" Addison eat away snap counts and slow the development of our actual future at the position. 

I don't even think it's a talent problem why we don't see the D-Line manifest sacks, I think it's the coaching.

• Agree 1

47 minutes ago, Turk71 said:

The Bills played one of the 5 easiest schedules in the league this season. Their #1 defense played 15 of their games against a who's who of terrible qbs. Next year's schedule not nearly as easy. Their soft shell bend don't break d only works against inefficient qbs who can't sustain drives and makes no adjustments for qbs who can. They will have to improve.

Yessir.  They need a real pass rush and a serious coverage guy...probably a mlb too.

1 minute ago, Billsfanatic8989 said:

Bengals winning today doesn't ease the pain of last week. It actually makes it worse.

What you saw in the 2nd half today was a great defensive game plan.

Frazier has better players on D.

And yet...we are the ones getting roasted.

Frazier doesn't have better players on defense outside of probably Poyer and Hyde.

6 minutes ago, Bruffalo said:

There's a big pattern of the Bills having defensive meltdowns and losing in big moments.  McD always kinds of handwaves it away with "execution", as if the scheme and playcalling is above criticism. 

I think you're right but I also think it's not going to happen. I would love to see a much more aggressive approach to defense because we know that the offense is capable of always putting up a lot of points.  The prevent "bend don't break" style is for teams that win by dominating clock.  It's not who we are and I wish we could adjust. 

Yep, the Houston playoff game where we choked away a 16 point lead is another example

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Billsfanatic8989 said:

Bengals winning today doesn't ease the pain of last week. It actually makes it worse.

What you saw in the 2nd half today was a great defensive game plan.

Frazier has better players on D.

And yet...we are the ones getting roasted.

I am not sure if the bills have better players. Perhaps on the whole. But they have Hendrickson and Reader. Two positions the bills fans/gm’s want to upgrade.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Flucod said:

Hutchinson was the difference today, big motor and was in shape to pursue for 5 quarters. He gave 💯, did you see him on the sideline puking due to effort. We NEED that guy. We don’t have it, Klein is the closest but lacks a ton of speed.

Look at my posts. I wanted him on this team so bad. Single handed difference maker. We have to get a difference maker on the edge in FA. We tried the draft and AJ, Groot and Boogie might be great but we need a proven guy in FA. 

Tre White doesn't have a fluke injury, we're SB bound so who really knows 

Edited by JerseyBills

It all started with that last drive in the 1st half, where they came away with no points. Mahomes made a bad decision to throw it in front of the endzone and ran out of time. I feel like that mental blunder stuck with him. He just seemed off after that. They looked equally unstoppable in the 1st half today. After that play, everything seemed to change. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

I know everyone feels different, but that game was closure for me for the pain of this last week. Ya, I'll always wish it was the bills playing today, but to see kc upset the way they were today was about the best gift I could've gotten after that terrible loss last week 

Edited by Steptide
  • Like (+1) 7
  • Agree 7
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, ScottLaw said:

How you watch that game and think the scheme was the same as the Bills is laughable. 

Agree, Cincy has similar overall talent.  But their dline is certainly a tier above ours.

We were relcutant/hesitant to change our scheme, perhaps bc it worked earlier in the season when Mahomes was being more careless and not taking the check downs.  Def coaches need to take a long look in the mirror this offseason and decide what type of defense they want to have to compete for a super bowl.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, MasterStrategist said:

Disagree.  Cincy did run our strategy in the 1st half, then adjusted in the 2nd half.  Granted they got some breaks, dropped passes etc.  

But they mixed it up with blitzing LBs, and running 3 man pass rushes w/spy or delayed Blitzer.  They realized at halftime that their defensive strategy just wasn't going to cut it, and followed up by only giving up 3 points in the 2nd half and stopping Mahomes in OT.  

Way different coaching strategy, not just execution.

Will add that they completely shut down Tyreek in the 2nd half...by changing their coverages.  At no point, did we adjust like Cincy. instead we played scared to give up the big pass play.  

The Bills defensive strategy against the Chiefs is just give it to them.

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.