Future is bright here! Andy Reid "couldn't win the big games" now he's about to coach in his 4th Super Bowl

TheFunPolice

For those criticizing McDermott, I say a little perspective is needed. He's a great young coach, who has created a strong culture here. AND if you get to a lot of playoff games, you'll have a lot of chances. Good coaches and good players are going to win eventually. 

Andy Reid, the loveable guy who "just couldn't win the big games" has a look at this:

Coaching in his 4th Super Bowl, with 1 title already

Coaching in his 3rd Super Bowl in a row, something only Schula, Levy and Belichick have done

Moving from #5 to #4 in all-time HC wins in the next 1.5 seasons 

Moving from #4 to #3 in all-time HC wins if he coaches another 6-7 years (he's only 63 now)

Possibly even move to #2 all-time behind only Belichick or Schula, depending on how long Bill coaches

If Bill retires in a year or two, there is a decent chance that Reid ends up with more wins all-time as a HC. 

What does this have to do with McDermott?

People were saying the exact same things some are saying now about McD: he can only take you so far, etc. 

No. You find a very good coach (and McD is a very good coach IMO) and you keep him. There are so many bad HC in the NFL. Keep building the program, and a guy who takes you to the playoffs year after year is eventually going to bust through. 

Unless it's Aaron Rodgers (sorry I couldn't resist) 

• Like (+1) 7
  • Agree 8
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 6

1 minute ago, TheFunPolice said:

You find a very good coach (and McD is a very good coach IMO) and you keep him. There are so many bad HC in the NFL. Keep building the program, and a guy who takes you to the playoffs year after year is eventually going to bust through. 

Exactly. To me, the Steelers are the model. Three coaches in 50 years. Stable ownership. A history of success. Even with 72 year-old Big Ben QBing from a stretcher, Tomlin has never had a losing record as HC. That’s the model. That’s how you keep the window open for as long as possible. 

• Like (+1) 8
  • Agree 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, jimmy10 said:

Exactly. To me, the Steelers are the model. Three coaches in 50 years. Stable ownership. A history of success. Even with 72 year-old Big Ben QBing from a stretcher, Tomlin has never had a losing record as HC. That’s the model. That’s how you keep the window open for as long as possible. 

Disagree on that.  I'm OK with more than 3 coaches in 50 years.

Bills fans have an irrational fear of coaching changes because we have made a thousand of them in our history, and almost all of them were horrible decisions.  😂

That doesn't mean a coaching change has to be inherently feared or somehow bad moving forward.

It is certainly fair to suggest that for a while there, the knock on Andy Reid was he couldn't win the big game.

I remember like 5 years ago Mike Schopp making a quip on the radio that he would NEVER take KC on a bet in the playoffs b/c Andy Reid has "won nothing".

He made a big deal out of it at one point in time...

He's shut up on that point in more recent years!

• Like (+1) 1

McDermott is Schottenheimer 2.0

Never winning any championship with him. Doesn't have it in him. How many games did the Bills fail to put away this year?

These idiots were protecting the sideline against a team with timeouts. You can't make this stuff up. How about not putting a body on Kelce. Even the Chiefs were like how stupid are the Bills. UNBELIEVABLE.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 6
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 4
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, prissythecat said:

Did we miss something?   Did the Chiefs already beat the Bengals?

I will be rooting for the Bengals this Sunday. If Burrow gets sacked 9 times again, if they let Hill or Kelce have a big day like Brown did against them, and give up 140 yards rushing again they will get run out of the stadium. I doubt Mahomes throws 3 picks like Tannehill did which ultimately gave them the game.

Just now, Evian said:

Never winning any championship with him. Doesn't have it in him. How many games did the Bills fail to put away this year?

These idiots were protecting the sideline against a team with timeouts. You can't make this stuff up. How about not putting a body on Kelce. Even the Chiefs were like how stupid are the Bills. UNBELIEVABLE.

I'll remember when you said "Never win a championship with him" . Bold Bills got a very good team next 12-15 years with Allen. That was such a arrogant, stereotype, opinion post here. 

You think like this.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Evian said:

If McDermott goes 2-10 in the postseason from here until the end of his career, he’s Marty Schottenheimer.  Feel like taking that bet?

5 minutes ago, Evian said:

Marty? McFly? Is that you returning from the future with a sports almanac? 

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Evian said:

They weren't protecting the sideline. They wanted KC to throw it short. I wish McDermott would go into detail his plan but its obvious to me they wanted exactly what they got but thought they'd make a tackle quicker.

Just now, Buffalo_Stampede said:

They weren't protecting the sideline. They wanted KC to throw it short. I wish McDermott would go into detail his plan but its obvious to me they wanted exactly what they got but thought they'd make a tackle quicker.

Wrong. Look at the million pictures on the internet. The left the middle of the field wide open. WIDE OPEN.

3 minutes ago, Niagara Dude said:

Andy Reid learned from his early failures,  he was not afraid of firing assistants.  Let's see if Sean is willing to let Frazier go so this team can have a defence capable of winning playoff games.

McDermott isn’t afraid of firing assistants either.  Rather than keeping coaches out of loyalty like Chan Gailey or Doug Marrone would do he got rid of underperforming coaches like Rick Dennison, Danny Crossman, and Juan Castillo.  

Despite the last :13, Frazier has not underperformed.  There’s not a doubt in mind that McDermott will move on from Frazier if he feels it’s necessary based on his track record

• Like (+1) 3
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Billl said:

If McDermott goes 2-10 in the postseason from here until the end of his career, he’s Marty Schottenheimer.  Feel like taking that bet?

I will take the bet he never gets this team to a Superbowl.  I could care less about your record unless you win a Superbowl it is meaningless.

The only thing that will keep Josh Allen from winning a Superbowl is Sean McDermott.  Get a real coach and we will win multiple Superbowls. Keep the Clapper as our headcoach and we will never win a Superbowl.

• Dislike 1

6 minutes ago, Evian said:

Wrong. Look at the million pictures on the internet. The left the middle of the field wide open. WIDE OPEN.

The LBS are 15 yards off the line. They weren't protecting the sideline. They wanted a short catch and come up and tackle. Problem was when Hill catches the 1st pass bills defense is moving backwards. The reaction to the short pass was terrible.

Then the Kelce play they just left him alone and focused on Hill. Again though the LBs were way back. They wanted quick passes and come tackle. Hill and Kelce got like 20 yards after the catch on those plays. 

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede

Tony Dungy - 6 Seasons, 54-42 (2-4 in Playoffs)

Sean McDermott - 5 Seasons, 49-32 (3-4 in Playoffs)

I always think about Dungy and The Bucs when ANY Team is winning but NOT WINNING in the Big Games.  And thinking about how Tampa made that decision to just go for the Prize by firing Dungy and getting Gruden and in 1 Season, be Super Bowl Champions.

Just idle thoughts.

• Agree 1

The future is supposed to be now.  We were 13 seconds from hosting a pretty flawed bengals roster at home to go to the SB and face either Jimmy G or Stafford...  *****.

Last year was a time for being happy with where we got to and to be excited for the future.  This was an epic failure.  

• Agree 2

2 minutes ago, RalphWilson'sNewWar said:

I always think about Dungy and The Bucs when ANY Team is winning but NOT WINNING in the Big Games.  And thinking about how Tampa made that decision to just go for the Prize by firing Dungy and getting Gruden and in 1 Season, be Super Bowl Champions.

Just idle thoughts.

Dungy is about it. They went with Gruden because the offense was terrible. Dungy also lost 3 straight 1st round playoff games before being fired. If McDermott loses 3 straight in the 1st round then I'm sure real discussion about McDermott would be had.

Just now, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Dungy is about it. They went with Gruden because the offense was terrible. Dungy also lost 3 straight 1st round playoff games before being fired. If McDermott loses 3 straight in the 1st round then I'm sure real discussion about McDermott would be had.

But McDermott hasn't. Some people are really over reacting. 

• Agree 1

The Reid comparison cuts both ways. Reid also struggles mightily to manage the game in tight spots, it was a knock against him for years. It took two decades for Reid to finally breakthrough and win a Bowl, and he only did so when he was gifted a generational QB that only had to get by an aging Brady.

Unfortunately for the Bills, Mahommes isn't going anywhere, so the path to the Bowl will be tough. And he doesn't have two decades to figure out how to coach in big moments. I don't think McD is the man for the next step this team needs to take, but maybe he'll make some changes on D and bring in a coordinator who can overcome some of his coaching flaws.

• Agree 1

12 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

McDermott isn’t afraid of firing assistants either.  Rather than keeping coaches out of loyalty like Chan Gailey or Doug Marrone would do he got rid of underperforming coaches like Rick Dennison, Danny Crossman, and Juan Castillo.  

Despite the last :13, Frazier has not underperformed.  There’s not a doubt in mind that McDermott will move on from Frazier if he feels it’s necessary based on his track record

I disagree,  Frazier is average at best and that is why no NFL team will hire him and you can call me out if I am wrong.  Even with his close ties in Chicago he does not get hired and the reason being is because he is not very good. Past 3 years we were eliminated from the playoffs after having leads in all 3 games. He owns that finish on Sunday which was a complete ***** the bed performance.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1

Just now, Niagara Dude said:

I disagree,  Frazier is average at best and that is why no NFL team will hire him and you can call me out if I am wrong.  Even with his close ties in Chicago he does not get hired and the reason being is because he is not very good. Past 3 years we were eliminated from the playoffs after having leads in all 3 games. He owns that finish on Sunday which was a complete ***** the bed performance.

Unsure Bears will hire Frazier. Looks like close to hiring Ryan Poles as GM for Bears (from Chiefs)

• Agree 1

45 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

For those criticizing McDermott, I say a little perspective is needed. He's a great young coach, who has created a strong culture here. AND if you get to a lot of playoff games, you'll have a lot of chances. Good coaches and good players are going to win eventually. 

Andy Reid, the loveable guy who "just couldn't win the big games" has a look at this:

Coaching in his 3rd Super Bowl in a row, something only Schula, Levy and Belichick have done

Moving from #4 to #3 in all-time HC wins if he coaches another 6-7 years (he's only 63 now)

Possibly even move to #2 all-time behind only Belichick or Schula, depending on how long Bill coaches

If Bill retires in a year or two, there is a decent chance that Reid ends up with more wins all-time as a HC. 

People were saying the exact same things some are saying now about McD: he can only take you so far, etc. 

No. You find a very good coach (and McD is a very good coach IMO) and you keep him. There are so many bad HC in the NFL. Keep building the program, and a guy who takes you to the playoffs year after year is eventually going to bust through. 

Andy Reid had to be fired to do so.

45 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

Sean McDermott just cost us a trip to the Super Bowl.

The obsession with him on this board is sick.

Some members of this board could be the HC of the Bills and with Josh Allen win 11 games.

Again, Sean McDermott COST THIS TEAM AGAIN.

5 minutes ago, Buffalo Bills Fan said:

Unsure Bears will hire Frazier. Looks like close to hiring Ryan Poles as GM for Bears (from Chiefs)

Then I could see Bears hiring the offensive cordinator with Chiefs

1 minute ago, FireChans said:

Andy Reid had to be fired to do so.

Good point,  he stop being conservative after arriving in KC. 

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Niagara Dude said:

Andy Reid learned from his early failures,  he was not afraid of firing assistants.  Let's see if Sean is willing to let Frazier go so this team can have a defence capable of winning playoff games.

This place is unreal.  Your OC and DC are among the top HC candidates.  Your defense was #1 in yards and #1 in points.  Your offense scored 984 points in the past two seasons which were the two highest scoring seasons in team history.  The team led the NFL in point differential with 194 which was the best in team history by a mile.

But you lost the greatest game in history on the road against the best team in the NFL, and it’s time to clean house.  Perfect.  Find me the coach who could coach circles around Andy Reid, a guy with 19 postseason wins under his enormous belt.  Then convince him to move to Buffalo and take a job where the last guy got fired with a 49-32 record and back to back division titles.  It’s a tough sell, so you’ll probably have to tell them that Andy Reid fired his DC after the team finished with the #31 defense so it’s all good.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

45 minutes ago, RalphWilson'sNewWar said:

Just idle thoughts.

And it did work in the short term. They never went back to the post-season though. That team and that coach never went back. They went ALL IN. They then spent 10 years in the wilderness. Look I think we'd all take that to finally win a Lombardi but this is different because McKay and Dungy were not tied at the hip in the way Beane and McDermott are. 

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 1

Funny, I thought the same thin about the coaching.  I was a big fan of Donovan McNabb being an SU alum, so I followed Philly during that time, and I really liked Andy Reid.  I was thinking after the game how McDermott likely needs to follow a similar journey as Reid did.  We always talk about how players need time, and experiences to learn and grow, not sure why we would expect any less from coaches.  I'm also encourage in the fact McDermott has shown the willingness to learn and make changes in the past.  He coached this game much better than last years, far more aggressive and with much better results.  

So, I feel very good about our Bills, and where we are going.  Buck up boys!  The future is bright. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

And it did work in the short term. They never went back though. They went ALL IN. They then spent 10 years in the wilderness. Look I think we'd all take that to finally win a Lombardi but this is different because McKay and Dungy were not tied at the hip in the way Beane and McDermott are. 

True.  Not sure I totally love the idea of the GM being indebted to HC for having a job.

in any situation.

27 minutes ago, Buddy Hix said:

The Reid comparison cuts both ways. Reid also struggles mightily to manage the game in tight spots, it was a knock against him for years. It took two decades for Reid to finally breakthrough and win a Bowl, and he only did so when he was gifted a generational QB that only had to get by an aging Brady.

Unfortunately for the Bills, Mahommes isn't going anywhere, so the path to the Bowl will be tough. And he doesn't have two decades to figure out how to coach in big moments. I don't think McD is the man for the next step this team needs to take, but maybe he'll make some changes on D and bring in a coordinator who can overcome some of his coaching flaws.

You can make an argument that the two worst coaching decisions in that game were made by Reid.  At the end of the first half the Chiefs were in position for a 50 yard FG.  The Bills were conceding the run, but Andy elected not to take it and settled for a long FG that hit the upright.  In the 4th quarter, Hill had the long punt return that put the Chiefs in position to take a 2 score lead.  He handed the ball off twice setting up a 3rd and 1 where he lined a backup TE at QB and ran an option to the short side of the field for a big loss.

You know who didn’t line up a backup TE at QB instead of his franchise guy when the game was on the line?  Greg McDermott.

4 minutes ago, 42Knuck said:

So, I feel very good about our Bills, and where we are going.  Buck up boys!  The future is bright

Yeah that's what I try to think of when the heart ache sneaks up here and there. But man, this offseason is going to seem MUCH longer this time around

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.