Move Tremaine Edmunds to DE next season.

r henderson

1 hour ago, HamptonBillsfan said:

Edmund's strength is movement and length. He could be elite if he instinctively sniffed out running lanes and inside receiver throws. Right now, he excels with QBs that zero in on receivers without deception, and running plays that aren't cutback blocking schemes. If a LB coach or just plain experience can get him more instinctual, look out.

Omg....I feel faint, Hampton may have just admitted Tremaine has "instinctual issues". Someone get the paddles....now we need to work on Freddie.....and for what its worth he would be a disaster as a DE and McD is too stubborn to put him as an OLB.  So enjoy him playing his 5th and maybe last year as a glorified CB.  

5 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Omg....I feel faint, Hampton may have just admitted Tremaine has "instinctual issues". Someone get the paddles....now we need to work on Freddie.....and for what its worth he would be a disaster as a DE and McD is too stubborn to put him as an OLB.  So enjoy him playing his 5th and maybe last year as a glorified CB.  

Your condescending nature is cute young fella, but the mega'hate for Edmunds is silly. Try and grasp the concept of our MLB being the best LB on the field in our biggest game of the year is something to be applauded. 12tackles,6 of them solo and a team leading 5 QB pressures helped us win the game. Is it Edmunds hair that bothers you?

Edmunds’ coverage in the middle of field helps make the defense elite against the pass. Would be a notable drop off if he’s moved. 

19 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

I think you mean the coaches ask Edmunds to make life difficult for opposing offense that has helped make it elite against the pass. Why move him when no one else can do what the coaches want? 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, HamptonBillsfan said:

Your condescending nature is cute young fella, but the mega'hate for Edmunds is silly. Try and grasp the concept of our MLB being the best LB on the field in our biggest game of the year is something to be applauded. 12tackles,6 of them solo and a team leading 5 QB pressures helped us win the game. Is it Edmunds hair that bothers you?

The post that you referenced about him not be instinctual,just points up his incredible ceiling with his freakish speed,length  and physicality. If we let him leave, he will be All-Pro for another team guaranteed.

1 hour ago, r henderson said:

He has the same frame as TJ Watt. Both guys are 6’5 250ish. Also Edmunds is much more athletic than Watt. Edmunds forty time is 4.54 compared to Watts 4.69. Long arms with great get up of the edge. Played the position in high school along with TE. He only seems to get up with blockers when is 5 yards off the line of scrimmage. When he’s right on the line of scrimmage he generally handles blockers well. I believe that is his true NFL position. 

Should have done this to start with.

Changing position groups entirely going into his $12M walk season is much too late.

Would like to see him as an OLB with the Bills playing more 4-3 base next year though but that won't happen unless he gets hurt and someone steps in and plays more instinctively.

He's just proved so far to be too slow of a blinker to play up to his physical potential in the middle..........needs to be where he can play fast.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, billieve420 said:

He even got stood up by the Pats FB when blitzing. With his speed he needs to do a better job of not getting stood up and getting off blocks. He should be using his speed to get a lot more holding calls versus just taking up space. I never see him try to make some moves to get the opposing player off balance.

I was going to mention this before I saw this post. I thought it was the RB, but you’re right, he was absolutely stone walled, zero power or rush technique to get around or through the guy. It doesn’t just happen with RBs either, he’s pretty easily handled by TEs as well. I don’t know how much strength his frame holds, but it’s not much. If Edmunds was Micah Parsons caliber and that much of a difference maker in the front 7, I think you could pencil us in for the Super Bowl.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Except that he's a horribly inefficient pass rusher and they don't have a replacement on the roster for him and it would significantly complicate the 5th year evaluation process.

We aren't going to need to worry about the 5th year evaluation process; he won't be re-signed.

3 hours ago, r henderson said:

He has the same frame as TJ Watt. Both guys are 6’5 250ish. Also Edmunds is much more athletic than Watt. Edmunds forty time is 4.54 compared to Watts 4.69. Long arms with great get up of the edge. Played the position in high school along with TE. He only seems to get up with blockers when is 5 yards off the line of scrimmage. When he’s right on the line of scrimmage he generally handles blockers well. I believe that is his true NFL position. 

If the Bills were to make a change like this, everyone here would be like, “I’ve been saying this for two years”!

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Should have done this to start with.

Changing position groups entirely going into his $12M walk season is much too late.

Would like to see him as an OLB with the Bills playing more 4-3 base next year though but that won't happen unless he gets hurt and someone steps in and plays more instinctively.

He's just proved so far to be too slow of a blinker to play up to his physical potential in the middle..........needs to be where he can play fast.

Won’t he still have to read-react as an OLB in the 4-3? 

Honestly curious because Bradham was a similar guy who was much better in our 4-3 where you had to just play and use instinct but he was an ILB no?

Edited by FireChans

1 hour ago, HamptonBillsfan said:

Edmunds is a solid player. You don’t trade up into the first for a solid LB.

Anyone who thinks that Edmunds is an elite LB in the NFL should point me to what is elite about his game? What is he elite at doing? Not blitzing. Not blowing up the run. Not covering (he really isn’t great compared to some of the freaks out there). 

The only thing elite about Edmunds is his physical talents. He’s huge and fast. Otherwise he ranges from solid to pretty good at every facet of LB play at this level. Jack of all trades master of none is not an elite player.

• Like (+1) 1

The Edmunds Report is not in favor of this move.  Tremaine's greatest strength is his coverage ability, while his greatest weakness is his pass-rushing (in)ability.  He's way too small to play DE in today's NFL, and would be absolutely dominated by road graders in run blocking.  To be truly effective, you'd have to use him in a zone blitz scheme, which anybody with any NFL acumen could see coming a mile away.

This is Edmunds:

ute42qs6bur3ppjliogt

This is Edmunds at DE:

UVWVLN2DPI6MMWAFEW3LYPJPYQ.jpg

Any questions?

• Haha (+1) 1

many people seem to miss the basic concept that the Bills do not play a 4/3 as a primary defense and therefore do not play a true middle linebacker on the vast majority of their plays.  They can call his position whatever they want, but he is not intended in that role primarily, as a rush stuffing MLB .  They certainly do not play a 3/4 where a rush LB in the mold of Edmunds would be usable, a la TJ Watt as the OP suggested.  Not to mention he has never played that position.  If they wanted a player in the mold of a 1970s middle linebacker, they may have drafted one, but that is not how the game is played now, and certainly not the design of the Bills defense.  If they wanted a rush linebacker out there of a 3/4 like Watt and Pittsburgh, then they would have designed the defense that way and drafted appropriately. Edmunds is doing precisely what he was drafted to do positionally. 

Other than all of that, this is a perfectly rational conversation.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Edmunds is a solid player. You don’t trade up into the first for a solid LB.

Anyone who thinks that Edmunds is an elite LB in the NFL should point me to what is elite about his game? What is he elite at doing? Not blitzing. Not blowing up the run. Not covering (he really isn’t great compared to some of the freaks out there). 

The only thing elite about Edmunds is his physical talents. He’s huge and fast. Otherwise he ranges from solid to pretty good at every facet of LB play at this level. Jack of all trades master of none is not an elite player.

You make some solid points. The reason I like him is because he has to compensate for shortcomings of our D-line in the run game and he has major responsibilities for screens and underneath passes,which demands speed, length and being a thumper. All of which he features. He is not a finished product by any means, but he complements Milano and the last 2 seasons has been a leading tackler on a top 5 defense. Warner, Wagner, White are better but much older. 

Honestly people don't understand what he was drafted for.  He IS one of the best linebackers in pass coverage in the NFL if not the best.  He is average against the run.  Makes some plays but over pursues a lot.  

With the more athletic tight ends like kelce and the amount of crosses teams run now he is invaluable in this D.  2 safties deep leaves a big hole in the middle and you need a long fast LB (or 2) to get depth answers take away the middle. 

He's improving against the run and has made some great sticks in the last few weeks...but please pay attention to his primary purpose and see how many catches NE tighends got last weekend and see how he will be used against Pitts this week. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.