Move Tremaine Edmunds to DE next season.

r henderson

49 minutes ago, DrDare said:

I know this board loves to pile on, but Ill be one of the few to support this.  I actually had this thought before and think that it could work.

It wouldn’t, he would get rag dolled by OTs. Same reason why I don’t think he’d be an effective blitzer off the edge.
If the staff thought there was potential there I fully believe you would’ve seen him in that role already. He’s an okay blitzer when no one is in his path, but shouldn’t that be the standard for every defender in the NFL?

9 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

I agree with you except I don't think there is going to be much of a trade market for him.

I just think we won't re-sign him when the time comes.

The OP is basically just trying to get more out of Tremaine's natural athleticism, which makes sense.

The problem is with his low football IQ; he limits himself.

A lot of  people seem to feel that way.

Thing is, the people who matter don't. They love the guy. There are always money issues, and it could certainly affect things. But as things stand, there's probably a 70 - 90% chance they re-sign him, somewhere in that area. He's the captain. They love him.

They already picked up his option for $12.6M a year in a year when they are absolutely cash-strapped ($9M available in 2022 as of now, #26 in the league, but ). That's around how much he's likely to get, maybe $1 or $2M more, and they already made it clear they value him at least for the $12.6. 

For off-ball LBs $2M more would put him in the top four of average salary. That ought to be plenty and they might easily get him a bit cheaper as a home-town discount like the one Milano gave them.

Anything could happen, he could demand the absolute top dollar he could get, or he could have issues with a new DL if Leslie leaves. But the likely outcome is that he'll be here long term.

As an MLB.

Edited by Thurman#1

On 12/30/2021 at 9:22 AM, Buffalo_Stampede said:

You're guessing that on a few long runs Edmunds was the reason.

I've never tried to say Edmunds is good vs the run. You're basically saying he's problem on defense. A defense that's been ranked top 5 in 3 out his 4 years and could finish #1 in yards and points this year.

I think what you need to do is spend less time trying to prove Edmunds is bad and watch other Mike's and defensive lines around the league. 

It's a collective effort when the Bills get beat for a big run. 

BS ~ I agree with much of what you say.  It's hard to believe Edmunds is terrible when he plays in the middle of the best D in the league as measured by yds/game.

The thing about Edmunds, though, is he's not a traditional Mike.   As you know, we typically line up in a 4-2.  Edmunds doesn't have an outside linebacker on either side of him like other Mikes.  It's an interesting role that requires more speed and coverage ability than the traditional Mike.   

As I watch Edmunds, I feel like he does a lot of things well that often don't get noticed.  For example, when he blankets his man, forcing the QB to throw elsewhere - we hardly notice that.  But when Edmunds makes a mistake - like over-pursuing on a long run - we all see it.  

It's interesting that the Patriots Wire thinks Edmunds would be a great addition (as a LB) to an already strong Pats defense.  And Edmunds has been chosen as a 1st team alternate to the Pro Bowl as a LB.   Yet we Bills fans don't want him in our linebacking corps anymore.  

patriotswire.usatoday.com/2021/12/25/gift-me-him-tremaine-edmunds-would-be-asset-to-deep-linebacker-group/

• Agree 1

On 12/30/2021 at 7:32 AM, JoPoy88 said:

lol stop. You know this based on what? What’s your experience compared to Frazier and McDermott? Ridiculous.

Yikes.. agree. Like the Bills coaching staff having committed a career to position and talent evaluation would not see DE potential. I’ll go with the Bills staff on this one as well 🤓

On 12/30/2021 at 2:47 AM, babulator said:

Whatever happens with Tremaine it's clear he's not a very good football player. Sure, he's a freak athlete with freakish measurables and all the right intangibles, except the one that he needs more than all of the rest. He has poor football instincts. If you watch his run defense it's mind numbingly bad. If there's a hole to shoot, gap to plug, running back to stop he nearly always makes the wrong call. The amount of times he just runs out of place or out of the way is infuriating. He has poor instincts (in the run game) and/or poor vision on a level that just can not be corrected at or on this stage in his career. Tremaine is not the answer and should not be resigned.

Interesting how the rest of the league think he’s a good player. Would we all like to see him read and flow better in run D ? Absolutely. Is he a very strong pass defending LB? Absolutely. He hammered the Pats in the check down game this week. If we choose to not resign him it opens up a gaping hole that has to be filled. If Bills offer him a fair contract to stay I think he will do so. If not he will have multiple offers in the LB position he’s currently playing. 

On 12/29/2021 at 3:33 PM, r henderson said:

He has the same frame as TJ Watt. Both guys are 6’5 250ish. Also Edmunds is much more athletic than Watt. Edmunds forty time is 4.54 compared to Watts 4.69. Long arms with great get up of the edge. Played the position in high school along with TE. He only seems to get up with blockers when is 5 yards off the line of scrimmage. When he’s right on the line of scrimmage he generally handles blockers well. I believe that is his true NFL position. 

It doesn’t matter what we think !  I asked John Fina and Reuben brown on a live YouTube show a couple weeks ago of Edmunds could be used differently or in a better way.  Now the guy has 0 PBUs and maybe one int this year.  You would have thought I wanted to kill their dogs or so,ethic crazy. They think he is amazing.  “ who would you replace him with? “.   Of course e I could f answer cuz it was chat so they could just fire at me with no stats and I couldn’t answer their question.    They even said how do we know he could play with his hand down?  Hell , I bet just about every other team would find a way to use this guy differently.   Has has SOME very good games.  Those who are vie for him always pick out one or maybe two good plays he has in a game but they NEVER show him overrunning or blowing gaps , getting pushed back ten yards with an o lineman locked on him.  And what about those PBU’s  ,,,,,well they just say qbs don’t throw that way. Pff has him as one of the lowest ranked LBs.  Pass targets in his area are completed 85% of the time and his overall rating in their system is lower now than his rookie year.  But of course Fina or Reuben didn’t quote any of that. 

I do believe he has finally started to have some consistency.  He has finally starred to improve.  Where are the game changing , impactful plays ?   Yes , he makes some plays that maybe only a few LBs can do. But in my eyes he is still just above average and he rarely hits guys like Talley or Biscuit did as it’s odd LBs.  ( don’t call, him a mlb as we run a 4-2-5 defense , and Mcd has called him that , but his fans will quickly correct you).  I just think his production has never matched moving up to go after him and what a. Bout the huge runs given up against Henry and Taylor this year.  Where was he , certainly no where near his gap responsibility.  The pats RAN FOR 3. Tds in three red zone appearances ,,,,,,our LB play has not been stellar this year. 

SO don’t waste you time asking if he could ever be used more effectively.  I have watched and been a Bills fan since ‘63 , and have seen exceptional lb play and while I’m not a coach , I still know great players when I see them.   It’s like if you’ve ever had a cold , you might not know which viruses cause that , but you know as a layman the difference between a cold and the flu!    You don’t have to be a dr to know the difference but apparently if you’ve never played pro ball, you can’t really have an informed opinion! Lol. !  Of course no one is suing change his responsibilities this year.  But it will be interesting to see what type of contract he gets and why they opted for his 5 th year option rather than getting the greatest lb ever already signed !    Hey , I do like the guy. I hope he someday lives up to the hype and really does become an impactful lb.  Apparently outside sources like PFf think there are much better options.   But to say that or suggest it on a Bills board or podcast and you obviously are just a “ hater”!   Lol.  Just trying to help you avoid venom ; NEVER. Ask that question again you Bills hater guy!    Lol!!     

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.