If anyone wants to say the NFL isn't rigged, please re-watch that game

UKBillFan

53 minutes ago, KeLLy1278 said:

!  But a portion of the fan base still has to find a way to say that they got the short end of the stick from the officiating.  And on, and on and on..  good Lord.  

For a moment, ignore the fans' complaints about officiating in the other games. 

Can you point to specific calls in yesterday's game which went unfairly against the Bucs? For all your talk about the calls going both ways, please point out which ones went the Bills' way. Just in the Bucs game

• Awesome! (+1) 2

1 minute ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

They are trying to be good soldiers, League team players.  I get it.  But they are getting played.  It's clearly rigged. 

You are at peace with the NFL being rigged because you choose to still watch it.  Throw the league into the trash by not watching the games.  If you don’t, then you are choosing to talk out of both corners of your mouth.  

Why do you choose to watch what you call a charade every week? Why give a crapshoot ratings? Plenty of other things to do.  I’m not in your camp yet but you seem to buy into the conspiracy so… just an honest question.

1 minute ago, Fan in Chicago said:

For a moment, ignore the fans' complaints about officiating in the other games. 

Can you point to specific calls in yesterday's game which went unfairly against the Bucs? For all your talk about the calls going both ways, please point out which ones went the Bills' way. Just in the Bucs game

One game isn’t a trend.  People cry foul after every game like it is.  That’s my point.  The Bucs also outplayed the Bills for much of the game yesterday but everyone wants to focus on the refs.  And now I got sucked into doing it myself which I try not to do.  It’s a fool’s errand.

1 minute ago, KeLLy1278 said:

You are at peace with the NFL being rigged because you choose to still watch it.  Throw the league into the trash by not watching the games.  If you don’t, then you are choosing to talk out of both corners of your mouth.  

Why do you choose to watch what you call a charade every week? Why give a crapshoot ratings? Plenty of other things to do.  I’m not in your camp yet but you seem to buy into the conspiracy so… just an honest question.

No.  I chose to watch the BFLo teams only in hopes they stick it to the rigged system.  I am at peace with that. 

I don't watch every week.  Only prime time games I can get.  I mostly multi-task, follow on my phone... 

It's not a conspiracy.  Just the way system is set up.

5 minutes ago, KeLLy1278 said:

One game isn’t a trend.  People cry foul after every game like it is.  That’s my point.  The Bucs also outplayed the Bills for much of the game yesterday but everyone wants to focus on the refs.  And now I got sucked into doing it myself which I try not to do.  It’s a fool’s errand.

dude there is an art to influencing games. Watch some Italian soccer and get back to us. 

Just now, nedboy7 said:

dude there is an art to influencing games. Watch some Italian soccer and get back to us. 

I don’t deny that for a second.  It’s virtually every national soccer league in Europe and it’s even worse in SA.  The NHL, NFL and MLB aren’t there yet imo but obviously you are entitled to your opinion.

• Thank you (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, KeLLy1278 said:

I have no problem with players arguing against bad or questionable calls.  As a matter of fact, I wish that the Bills did more of it.. and that includes Sean. It’s virtually always in vain so this is where the mental toughness comes in. If they can use the frustration as a precursor to focus in on the next play then great.  If it takes them out of their element then it’s useless.

The problem is when McCoach does it, and he has in several games this season, he gets so distracted with it that he loses site of what is happening during the game as he is arguing.  

8 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

No.  I chose to watch the BFLo teams only in hopes they stick it to the rigged system.  I am at peace with that. 

I don't watch every week.  Only prime time games I can get.  I mostly multi-task, follow on my phone... 

It's not a conspiracy.  Just the way system is set up.

Fair enough 

1 minute ago, CodeMonkey said:

The problem is when McCoach does it, and he has in several games this season, he gets so distracted with it that he loses site of what is happening during the game as he is arguing.  

🤷🏼‍♂️ part of being a great coach is being able to compartmentalize things.  It’s all connected.  

• Agree 1

After my video New England and their fair weather Tampa brothers asked me if I ned a tissue for my tears.  I told them nope.... they might need it if their second in line behind Kraft at the masseuse.  My apologies to McDermott he's got us going in the right direction.  

Edited by Thriftygamer83
After not aster
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Thriftygamer83 said:

Aster my video New England and their fair weather Tampa brothers asked me if I ned a tissue for my tears.  I told them nope.... they might need it if their second in line behind Kraft at the masseuse.  My apologies to McDermott he's got us going in the right direction.  

That is a skilled and noteworthy comeback.  👏👏👏

• Haha (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, KeLLy1278 said:

This thread is about yesterday's game and you decided to step in and express outrage over your perceived trend against the Bills. Yes, there are some games where the fans complain and point to those bad refs calls as the reason for the loss. But I would say this is not as regular as you are making it out to be 

Also, the Bucs did not outplay the Bills for much of the game. It was a game of 3 sections - the first was clearly dominated by the Bucs but the Bills held them to 3 more points and proceeded to tie the game. It is def a game where inconsistent officiating cost the Bills the game. 

50+ passing attemps and not a single defensive hold or PI?  I mean that must be some amazing discipline.

C'mon.  Its gotta be obvious by now.  The NFL wants their TB/NE Super Bowl.  How do two refs stare down that 3rd down and not throw a flag?

It's not scripted, but the refs are told to nudge games certain ways if they can.  And it's not just the Bills.  Ravens/Lions anyone?

I still follow the Bills, but no longer watch.  Thank god.  I would have screamed myself hoarce.

• Like (+1) 1

58 minutes ago, Fan in Chicago said:

This thread is about yesterday's game and you decided to step in and express outrage over your perceived trend against the Bills. Yes, there are some games where the fans complain and point to those bad refs calls as the reason for the loss. But I would say this is not as regular as you are making it out to be 

Also, the Bucs did not outplay the Bills for much of the game. It was a game of 3 sections - the first was clearly dominated by the Bucs but the Bills held them to 3 more points and proceeded to tie the game. It is def a game where inconsistent officiating cost the Bills the game. 

So in other words, the NFL is a crapshoot. A rigged charade in your opinion. It’s a well orchestrated version of WCW or WWF that passes itself off as legitimate.  What should fans do about it?  Btw.. many fan bases think this, mostly perennial losers.  So what shall we do?  Form a mutiny, buy pitchforks and aim them at Goodell?  Or should we all just join each other for a weep?  What’s the answer?

2 minutes ago, The Red King said:

50+ passing attemps and not a single defensive hold or PI?  I mean that must be some amazing discipline.

C'mon.  Its gotta be obvious by now.  The NFL wants their TB/NE Super Bowl.  How do two refs stare down that 3rd down and not throw a flag?

It's not scripted, but the refs are told to nudge games certain ways if they can.  And it's not just the Bills.  Ravens/Lions anyone?

I still follow the Bills, but no longer watch.  Thank god.  I would have screamed myself hoarce.

The Pats were on the short end of some big calls last week.  The Bills still lost…. at home.

1 minute ago, KeLLy1278 said:

So in other words, the NFL is a crapshoot. A rigged charade in your opinion. It’s a well orchestrated version of WCW or WWF that passes itself off as legitimate.  What should fans do about it?  Btw.. many fan bases think this, mostly perennial losers.  So what shall we do?  Form a mutiny, buy pitchforks and aim them at Goodell?  Or should we all just join each other for a weep?  What’s the answer?

Wake everyone up, and then, slowly, stop watching.

When you wake up, it takes a long time to lose the emotional attachment. There's all the stages of grief. But slowly, you start to detach and care less and less. 

3 minutes ago, KeLLy1278 said:

The Pats were on the short end of some big calls last week.  The Bills still lost…. at home.

And?  I already said the refs nudge games.  It's not scripted.  For example, Bills/Jags I believe refs were told to keep it close, then let the Bills win.  Bad calls kept it close, then the bad calls stopped.  Bufallo had ample chance to win, and blew it.

Can you honestly explain the no-call at the end of regulation coupled with the PI in OT?

Just to add, there have been some bad calls against us this season but do I think they affected the outcome of the games? No; I think every other game this season has been lost, at it's base, on play calling or execution. To an extent you could argue that was the case yesterday, being 24-3 down at the half and that horrific 4 & 3 punt. BUT, after such a stunning fightback in the second half, to have calls go against us in such a way is difficult to accept - it's the first defeat this season where I say the officials are at least partially responsible for the outcome.

Just now, ToGoGo said:

Wake everyone up, and then, slowly, stop watching.

When you wake up, it takes a long time to lose the emotional attachment. There's all the stages of grief. But slowly, you start to detach and care less and less. 

This is true.  100%.  Watching any sport at length becomes one heck of an addiction.  It becomes a damn event, a mini party sometimes..  I love the NHL, NFL & MLB.  I, like countless others buy team merchandise, T-shirts, hoodies, hats, you name it.  It’s fun and it becomes part of one’s life after a while.  Conversations with fellow sports fans in person and on forums such as this one.. etc. To throw it all away is a big decision.  But if people think that these sports have no integrity then maybe this is something to consider.  It’s nauseating to even think about it.

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, UKBillFan said:

Just to add, there have been some bad calls against us this season but do I think they affected the outcome of the games? No; I think every other game this season has been lost, at it's base, on play calling or execution. To an extent you could argue that was the case yesterday, being 24-3 down at the half and that horrific 4 & 3 punt. BUT, after such a stunning fightback in the second half, to have calls go against us in such a way is difficult to accept - it's the first defeat this season where I say the officials are at least partially responsible for the outcome.

I’ll take the bait.  Currently, as a defender in this league you have to play the ball.  I can’t overstate this.  If you simply play the body before the ball gets anywhere close then you’re a dead pigeon.  Typically if a safety or cover corner turns his head and at least makes an attempt to make a play on the ball he’s in the clear.  It’s the players that are poorly coached that always have that trained look of utter shock on their faces that are either undisciplined, poorly coached or both.  Either way it results in a big fat L.

If a receiver is making a move to make the play and all a defender does is try to stand in his way and makes contact with him in the process IT WILL BE A PI.  Some teams take advantage of this and some don’t.  This is coachable  and can eventually turn instinctive on the fly.  

Edited by KeLLy1278

To those that think the refs had nothing to do with the loss:  how did you react when they didn’t throw flags on the 3 obvious defensive holds?  What did you do when they threw the flag on Dane vs Gronk?  Or when Levi got the flag vs evans on a pass that was poorly thrown on purpose?  How did you react?  What were you thinking?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

That the television audience can see what is happening on the field better than the officials is a major problem. If the NFL wants to protect "the shield" it needs to completely modernize officiating. We heard about the "Eye in the Sky" official that was added this season. Where is this being used? And for what? Coaches still have to challenge plays where the outcome was obvious on a replay available less than ten seconds after the play concludes. Camera angles saw Diggs' stretched jersey, but some old man huffing down the field doesn't see it? Never attribute to treachery that which can be explained by incompetence.

NFL athletes are SO advanced over those even 20 years ago. And we have middle-aged men running, RUNNING half the time trying to see what occurs and officiate it??? Are you SHIIITING ME??? 

Get a crew of officials in front of HD displays and start getting these FRACKING calls correct. Or yes, I will start to believe this league is rigged.

Out 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

Holy snot.  I wish I hadn't gone into this thread to see all these stills and replays, because now I am extremely pissed off about that loss.

And to the Dave McBride fella in here who keeps defending the refs and claiming the takedown of Diggs in the endzone wasn't a penalty, regardless of what type of handfighting occurred at the beginning of the route, once the ball is in the air, the defender cannot continue to tug and tackle the receiver to the ground.  That is 100%, clear as day, defensive pass interference.  Very good chance we win that game (though no guarantee given our redzone execution struggles) if that very clear and simple penalty call is made.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, TheBrownBear said:

Holy snot.  I wish I hadn't gone into this thread to see all these stills and replays, because now I am extremely pissed off about that loss.

And to the Dave McBride fella in here who keeps defending the refs and claiming the takedown of Diggs in the endzone wasn't a penalty, regardless of what type of handfighting occurred at the beginning of the route, once the ball is in the air, the defender cannot continue to tug and tackle the receiver to the ground.  That is 100%, clear as day, defensive pass interference.  Very good chance we win that game (though no guarantee given our redzone execution struggles) if that very clear and simple penalty call is made.

And how many Refs were in position who could throw a flag?   It isn't just one ref there watching the play, there were 2-3 who could have thrown the flag.

40 minutes ago, KeLLy1278 said:

I’ll take the bait.  Currently, as a defender in this league you have to play the ball.  I can’t overstate this.  If you simply play the body before the ball gets anywhere close then you’re a dead pigeon.  Typically if a safety or cover corner turns his head and at least makes an attempt to make a play on the ball he’s in the clear.  It’s the players that are poorly coached that always have that trained look of utter shock on their faces that are either undisciplined, poorly coached or both.  Either way it results in a big fat L.

If a receiver is making a move to make the play and all a defender does is try to stand in his way and makes contact with him in the process IT WILL BE A PI.  Some teams take advantage of this and some don’t.  This is coachable  and can eventually turn instinctive on the fly.  

“Currently, as a defender in this league, you have to play the ball.”

Unless you’re a defender for the Bucs. 😁

5 hours ago, mattynh said:

1.  Agree the Bills hit Tom Brady late a couple times that were not called.

2.  Yes you are a homer on this.

3.  Same thing, worded differently.  Two times Buffalo was called for penalties that would have converted a 3rd down only to be offset by a Tampa penalty.

4.  Agree to a point, you wont get all of those, but a couple should have been called, especially if you call the one on Evans in OT.  That one killed me after you don't throw on the others.

5.  Correct, Tampa had 4 penalties, I think the Bills had 7.  Last week the Bills has 3, Pats had 6.

In any overtime game you will find fans pointing to "this call" or "that call" or "this noncall" etc.   It's the nature of close games, lots of little things could have flipped the outcome.  Not sure I think the Bills played well enough to win that game, I was impressed by the 4th quarter for sure but they underperformed much of the game and should blame themselves more than the refs in my opinion.

I hate when people throw out the number of penalties as some kind of deflection of the agenda of the NFL.  For you to point out the number penalties just goes to show you have no idea what your talking about.  It is when they call the penalties.  My BIL and I were talking after the game and he said Brady gets 3-4 drives extended most games on phantom PI/holding calls on the defense.  The refs were famous for this when Brady was in NE.  They would call penalties against NE's opponent early when the game was still in doubt and then throw meaningless penalties in the 4th against NE to even out the number of penalties when the contest was pretty much decided.  Let me put it another, if Tampa and brady was going for the winning TD and that play that happened to Diggs to Evans or Gronk, there is noway in hell the refs don't throw the flag.  That is the difference and it decides games like yesterday unfortunately.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, BananaB said:

I just read that after we punted to the goal line before half, Brady kneeled in the end zone to end the half. Is this true?  

Not true.  But I think the ref spotted the ball a good yard forward of where it was downed on the punt in order to give Brady the space to kneel.  At least that was my recollection of the play.  But maybe they're doing that now to protect QBs in that situation?  I don't know.

7 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

And how many Refs were in position who could throw a flag?   It isn't just one ref there watching the play, there were 2-3 who could have thrown the flag.

Yeah, I don't really blame the ref we can see in the replay, because his view seemed to be blocked by Diggs' body.  But how could none of the other crew members come in and correct the situation?

6 minutes ago, Gordio said:

In any overtime game you will find fans pointing to "this call" or "that call" or "this noncall" etc.   It's the nature of close games, lots of little things could have flipped the outcome.  Not sure I think the Bills played well enough to win that game, I was impressed by the 4th quarter for sure but they underperformed much of the game and should blame themselves more than the refs in my opinion.

Horseshiit. The refs are as guilty as egg-sucking dogs in this case. Timing is everything. When the public can see it but they can't, it is a major issue that needs to be solved. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, KeLLy1278 said:

I am at a loss to understand where you are going with this line of argument. First of all, I did not say, nor think that the NFL is rigged. What I do believe, and is obvious to most, is that officiating is very very inconsistent across games, but more importantly within the same game. This is a problem. 

Of course we as fans cannot directly do anything about it. But as with playcalling and player performance, fans tend to talk about things that influenced the outcome of the game. Thats what fans do, that is why this board exists and has thrived. 

But you are going on and  on that fans should not blame the officials, when clearly they were a factor in the outcome yesterday. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, KeLLy1278 said:

The Bills could have won Sunday’s game against the Buccaneers. Some would say they should have won. Some would correctly say they would have won it, if defensive pass interference had been called against Buccaneers cornerback Carlton Davis during a key third-and-two late in regulation, with Buffalo trailing Tampa Bay, 27-24.

Davis significantly hindered Bills receiver Stefon Diggs. The official looking right at the play didn’t throw a flag, however.

Then, in overtime, the official called defensive pass interference against the Bills, giving Tampa 19 yards of field position and boosting what became the game-winning drive.

Said NBC rules analyst Terry McAulay on Twitter: “This is not defensive pass interference. The receiver creates the contact. It is especially noteworthy given what was not called late in regulation on the Buffalo 3rd & 2 play.”

37 minutes ago, theRalph said:

That the television audience can see what is happening on the field better than the officials is a major problem. If the NFL wants to protect "the shield" it needs to completely modernize officiating. We heard about the "Eye in the Sky" official that was added this season. Where is this being used? And for what? Coaches still have to challenge plays where the outcome was obvious on a replay available less than ten seconds after the play concludes. Camera angles saw Diggs' stretched jersey, but some old man huffing down the field doesn't see it? Never attribute to treachery that which can be explained by incompetence.

NFL athletes are SO advanced over those even 20 years ago. And we have middle-aged men running, RUNNING half the time trying to see what occurs and officiate it??? Are you SHIIITING ME??? 

Get a crew of officials in front of HD displays and start getting these FRACKING calls correct. Or yes, I will start to believe this league is rigged.

Out 

I’ve been preaching this for over a decade.  They have the money.  They have the motive (the fact that a huge contingent of the nfl fan base thinks the officials on the take in some way or another).  

They actually have an eye in the sky…..yet it does close to nothing.  I realize that it’s going to be difficult to implement having several officials sitting in front of monitors breaking down each play on the fly, but the system is broken.  The technology today is far superior to the tech we used when these concepts were introduced. Use it.  Use the billions of dollars you make to make your sport more enjoyable (and believable).  Show the fan base that you are doing your best to improve the game we all love.  

Until they make a change and give more power to the eye in the sky, they need to make the officials accountable for their mistakes. The players, coaches, staff and fans routinely pay for the officials mistakes.  Yet the officials will still make their 200k per year and never have to speak on or get fined for their egregious mistakes.  Nonsense

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, nedboy7 said:

The Bills could have won Sunday’s game against the Buccaneers. Some would say they should have won. Some would correctly say they would have won it, if defensive pass interference had been called against Buccaneers cornerback Carlton Davis during a key third-and-two late in regulation, with Buffalo trailing Tampa Bay, 27-24.

Davis significantly hindered Bills receiver Stefon Diggs. The official looking right at the play didn’t throw a flag, however.

Then, in overtime, the official called defensive pass interference against the Bills, giving Tampa 19 yards of field position and boosting what became the game-winning drive.

Said NBC rules analyst Terry McAulay on Twitter: “This is not defensive pass interference. The receiver creates the contact. It is especially noteworthy given what was not called late in regulation on the Buffalo 3rd & 2 play.”

And there are even others would say we lost because McDermott is bald.

• Haha (+1) 1

19 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

Enh, he was doing it too. Thought it was a fair no call. The call on Wallace was the one that was the worst. I mean, they called it on the defense when it should clearly have been called on the offense. The end of PI penalty reviews is a bad thing. 

He was handfighting too that wasnt the penalty…Davis loses position and falls down completely on his own and tugs diggs down with him from the jersey which is 1000% PI that gets called every single time. If you watch the replay Davis is smashing the ground with his hand  in disgust knowing he committed pi and blew the game lol he must’ve been shocked when he didn’t spot a yellow flag.  Any time you’re grabbing jersey you’re getting flagged unless you’re playing the buccaneers on December 12th…I’ve honestly never seen anything like that they were straight up grabbing jerseys all night 

my best guess on that big no call at the end of regulation is the refs thought they got their feet tangled up and Davis fell into diggs but that’s not at all what happened 

still waiting for some of these huge calls to even out for us it just doesn’t seem to be happening this year…this is more in the ‘we could’ve done more to win’ camp but way back in week 1 Big Ben threw a pick 6 right after halftime for us to go up 17-0 and it got called back on the softest hold ever 

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan

2 minutes ago, nedboy7 said:

Some people just like to complain about other people complaining on message boards.  Ignore it.  People with eyes realize we got the short end of the stick and the stick has an impact on who wins and loses each game. While bad officiating is rarely, if ever, the sole factor in determining who won or lost a game…..there are far too many games that have their outcome affected by terrible officiating.  

we didn’t lose solely because of the refs, but we probably would’ve won if the officials hadn’t missed 3 crucial PIs.  

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

He was handfighting too that wasnt the penalty…Davis loses position and falls down completely on his own and tugs diggs down with him from the jersey which is 1000% PI that gets called every single time. Any time you’re grabbing jersey you’re getting flagged unless you’re playing the buccaneers on December 12th…I’ve honestly never seen anything like that they were straight up grabbing jerseys all night 

I personally think it COULD have been called DPI and obviously would have preferred that outcome. But the fact of the matter is that the league lets players fight it out on those last-second red zone plays unless the PI is really bad. The call on Wallace vs Evans, however, was about as bad of a call as you'll see.  Evans literally pulls Wallace towards him and prevents Wallace from turning his head and making a play on the ball.

funrf62eh8581.png?width=456&format=png&a

Edited by dave mcbride

1 hour ago, The Red King said:

Kind of reminds me the time the Patriots started 3 or 4 rookies at OL a few years ago when the Bills had Mario, Kyle, Hughes, Dareus and Marcia attempted 50 passes without their line getting called for holding once. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.