Trouble brewing in Jacksonville

Dablitzkrieg

4 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Trouble in Jax just makes me wonder how this could help the Bills.

Per NFL next gen stats Jags Andrew Norwell.......a pending UFA......... has the highest run block win rate of any left guard in the NFL this season.........and a good pass block win rate.

The Jags have a ton of cap room but maybe the former Carolina Panther decides it's time to get out of Jax.

If they could add one player in UFA this offseason,  let it be a quality interior OL.

He’s not coming cheap.  Given the state of linemen in the NFL, my guess is that Norwell is going to get a huge deal.  I’m not sure if the Bills will take a swing like that at him, but wouldn’t mind if they didn’t 

25 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

He’s not coming cheap.  Given the state of linemen in the NFL, my guess is that Norwell is going to get a huge deal.  I’m not sure if the Bills will take a swing like that at him, but wouldn’t mind if they didn’t 

Much rather pay the going rate for a guy like Norwell, Tomlinson or Scherff in FA than use a high pick on one.

People will say they don't have a lot of cap space..........but they are going to clear out some bodies that will make some and if they sign a quality OG they can backload the deal.     Can't afford to come into next season without a difference maker inside and they really need to be replenishing the key,  HUGE money positions with those high picks.

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, dave mcbride said:

That was the one game where i felt the offensive staff mailed it in. My hunch is that they didn’t want to give away any plays they really liked to upcoming opponents and assumed that they’d overwhelm a terrible Jax team on talent differential alone. They bizarrely kept the same approach all game even though it wasn’t working and the game was within a fg throughout.

I think there may be some truth to that - either that, or had some plays/schemes they wanted to try out. 

But I think the "within a FG" is the reason for the lack of urgency and the lack of adjustment.  Keep in mind the Bills were moving the ball, and the Jags didn't take the lead until early in the 4th Q after the Bills 2nd interception.  I think the feeling was, our D has "got this", we'll avoid mistakes and be able to drive down and take the lead on the next drive.

Hopefully they learn from their mistake.

43 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Per NFL next gen stats Jags Andrew Norwell.......a pending UFA......... has the highest run block win rate of any left guard in the NFL this season.........and a good pass block win rate.

The Jags have a ton of cap room but maybe the former Carolina Panther decides it's time to get out of Jax.

If they could add one player in UFA this offseason,  let it be a quality interior OL.

There were rumors linking the Bills to Norwell at the trade deadline - I'm unsure how well-founded.

I'm with you, I want to see us try to add talent through the draft but we really need 3 IOL (unless we have a most well-hidden belief in Bates as our center-in-training) and that's hard to achieve through any one strategy.  Norwell would make a good addition at IOL.

• Agree 2

3 hours ago, JohnNord said:

How in the hell did Buffalo lose to this sh*tshow 😫

I have been asking myself this exact question since it happened. Just awful.

Side note: Will Urban announce yet again that he is stepping down to spend more time with his family?

• Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

There were rumors linking the Bills to Norwell at the trade deadline - I'm unsure how well-founded.

I'm with you, I want to see us try to add talent through the draft but we really need 3 IOL (unless we have a most well-hidden belief in Bates as our center-in-training) and that's hard to achieve through any one strategy.  Norwell would make a good addition at IOL.

I might be projecting the Roman experience too much..........but as I've said,  that Wood/Glenn lead OL was seen as a disaster under Marrone..........this board was pretty distraught about the situation...........the only real talent upgrade they made was adding Incognito and upgrading the coaching.

John Miller was not talented.........the Bills reached for him and the scheme made him look serviceable.    And Jordan Mills was hated in Chicago........just considered a lousy player they had to start and despite all of the chances he got to wear on DE's he was never anything better than horrible in pass pro.   

And that offense dominated the run game and the Bills averaged over 6 plays of 20 yards or more per game in those 2 years.

So IMO,  getting one stud OG might make a world of difference.    Daryl Williams will likely be back at the other guard..........they are in a bad dead money spot if they cut him.    I can't see a complete switch out and it's probably not needed.   But Mitch Morse needs a body guard inside.    

3 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

He benched robinson for a fumble and lawrence apparently confronted him mid-game about it: https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/12/11/report-urban-meyer-had-heated-argument-with-marvin-jones-called-his-assistant-coaches-losers/

I of course thought of McDermott, who seems to think fumbles should never, ever happen (news flash: they do) and if they do the back has to go to the doghouse. I know a lot of coaches do this, but it’s pretty reactionary assuming the player isn’t a problem fumbler.

Bill Belichick has done the same exact thing.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I might be projecting the Roman experience too much..........but as I've said,  that Wood/Glenn lead OL was seen as a disaster under Marrone..........this board was pretty distraught about the situation...........the only real talent upgrade they made was adding Incognito and upgrading the coaching.

John Miller was not talented.........the Bills reached for him and the scheme made him look serviceable.    And Jordan Mills was hated in Chicago........just considered a lousy player they had to start and despite all of the chances he got to wear on DE's he was never anything better than horrible in pass pro.   

And that offense dominated the run game and the Bills averaged over 6 plays of 20 yards or more per game in those 2 years.

So IMO,  getting one stud OG might make a world of difference.    Daryl Williams will likely be back at the other guard..........they are in a bad dead money spot if they cut him.    I can't see a complete switch out and it's probably not needed.   But Mitch Morse needs a body guard inside.    

Nope re: Williams. His cap hit next season is $8.9 million if he’s on the roster and $3.6 million if they dump him. That’s $5.3 million in savings. A team-friendly deal, basically. He is not going to get any better, and I’d get rid of him. The only reason to keep him is to have him as a viable backup at RT, but isn’t that why they drafted the guy from Miami? https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/cap/2022/

4 minutes ago, MJS said:

Bill Belichick has done the same exact thing.

Belichick certainly has, but he is also someone no one should ever be compared to. He is sui generis. 

1 minute ago, dave mcbride said:

Nope re: Williams. His cap hit next season is $8.9 million if he’s on the roster and $3.6 million if they dump him. That’s $5.3 million in savings. A team-friendly deal, basically. He is not going to get any better, and I’d get rid of him. The only reason to keep him is to have him as a viable backup at RT, but isn’t that why they drafted the guy from Miami? https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/cap/2022/

To me losing the $3.6M is a big dead cap hit when you have no alternatives inside.   You gotta' write Ford and Boettger off at this point.  

Not out of the realm of possibility that they cut Williams but with top end guards falling in the $15M-$19M aav.........and Nelson likely to re-set the market entirely..........if Williams has a chance at a bounce back I think they might be inclined to keep him.    

He's a mercurial player.    Guy was an All Pro once.......could barely get work in the 2020 offseason........then plays at a Pro Bowl level in 2020.   Now this year he's been a middling guard.    LG is the most glaring issue.   Boettger is impossibly bad in the run game and mediocre in pass pro.   Feliciano is marginally better.  

Don't know if Doyle has any future at all.

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

To me losing the $3.6M is a big dead cap hit when you have no alternatives inside.   You gotta' write Ford and Boettger off at this point.  

Not out of the realm of possibility that they cut Williams but with top end guards falling in the $15M-$19M aav.........and Nelson likely to re-set the market entirely..........if Williams has a chance at a bounce back I think they might be inclined to keep him.    

He's a mercurial player.    Guy was an All Pro once.......could barely get work in the 2020 offseason........then plays at a Pro Bowl level in 2020.   Now this year he's been a middling guard.    LG is the most glaring issue.   Boettger is impossibly bad in the run game and mediocre in pass pro.   Feliciano is marginally better.  

Don't know if Doyle has any future at all.

Good points. I’m speaking out of emotion because his play - especially in crunch time and in competitive, important games - has been so bad. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

He benched robinson for a fumble and lawrence apparently confronted him mid-game about it: https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/12/11/report-urban-meyer-had-heated-argument-with-marvin-jones-called-his-assistant-coaches-losers/

I of course thought of McDermott, who seems to think fumbles should never, ever happen (news flash: they do) and if they do the back has to go to the doghouse. I know a lot of coaches do this, but it’s pretty reactionary assuming the player isn’t a problem fumbler.

McD doesn’t seem to mind that Singletary has put it on ground 5 times and Josh 7 times this season.

2 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Good share here

• Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.