I’m considering moving back to Buffalo

Pete

I moved in with girlfriend in Massachusetts a couple years ago- I need to lose her and get on with my life.   I love NH - not a lot of jobs.  I checked out Burlington Vermont- $1500 studio apartments - too rich for me.  I checked out Massachusetts and Pennsylvania- pricey.

Buffalo- bargain!  I moved from Buffalo 1979 to Connecticut.  The day we moved there was a tornado- maybe that was a message lol.  So like the salmon returning, I’m strongly considering Buffalo.  I need to get out of here ASAP.  
Buffalo is a world class city imo.  Museums, architecture, culture. 
So I’ve been looking at jobs, apartments, and moving costs.

So if anyone could give me any tips - where to live, moving, jobs, I’d greatly appreciate.  
thank you Bills brothers and sisters!

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 2

First, good on you for making the move to change what isn’t in your best interest. If it’s what you think is right for you long term, do it and don’t look back.

As far as buffalo goes, are you looking for urban living, or more of a towny vibe? Either way, real estate has vastly jumped in price in both rentals and purchases. Probably cheaper than what you listed, however. 

When you get to buffalo and are looking for work, do you have a specific field or are you open to different careers/jobs? There are many openings from bus drivers, to night shift managers, substitute teachers and even a property assessor in a nearby town. There are jobs to be filled, it’s just a matter of qualifications, desires and capabilities. 

Idk your situation, but I’m married with kids, own a house, have another 30 years in my career and love that day to day, regular grind. Change isn’t in my forecast. I love my situation, it isn’t for everyone. But if I were staring down the barrel of regret with leading a life that I wasn’t happy with, I think the city of good neighbors is a great place to start. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Thanks for a great post!  I will live most anywhere- urban is fine.  
I’ve been cooking 30 years, but would like something different.  I put a bunch of applications at Wegmans.  They must be doing a double take seeing my Massachusetts address.  Once I get a job offer out there- I’m really going to move quickly(we’ll hopefully).

I’m 52, and will be single by then

• Like (+1) 1

Download the Hotpads app on your phone. Private rentals and company/corporation owned apartment rentals. I've referred a couple of real estate clients to that, and it's worked out nicely. 

As for a job, Yahoo (where I work) is hiring. It's primarily work from home but they do have offices in Lockport. PM me if you want to know more.

Edited by Draconator
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, LeviF said:

I'd move to Buffalo in a heartbeat if I could get a transfer there. I just know where to go hang out, not necessarily live. Everyone is hiring out there, especially in hospitality. Good luck brother!

Buffalo's population is only 7.54% Hispanic.  You'd be bored in less than a month!

• Haha (+1) 2

as someone who lives in the rochester area, are you sure you may not want to move somewhere a bit more sun laden?  i do love my work and living situation here, (even though i B word about the taxes) but the january to april run is brutal.  cold, damp, and gray.  the lack of sun is what messes me up.  other than that, i do like living in wny.  maybe a bit too routine at time, but i'm comfortable here.

Been considering the same.

I grew up in Rochester but haven't lived there since I left at age 18.

The rent and home prices seemingly ANYWHERE in the country other than WNY are insane. I live in Portland, OR currently, and there's not a chance in hell that I can reasonably afford a house here. For what I'd spend on a small, 1 bedroom, ranch style house in the city here, I could get a five bedroom palace with acres of land and a creek in WNY. Truly. It's mind boggling how affordable housing is in WNY when compared to most of the rest of the country.

I'm not sure I want to do Rochester again, though. I'm almost more tempted to give Buffalo a shot, though I've never lived there before. I suppose the two cities are comparable in a lot of ways, but at least Buffalo might be a bit more exciting since I've never lived there before. I'm not familiar with what areas surrounding Buffalo would be desirable to live in, though. What suburbs, what neighborhoods, etc. 

Anyway...good luck in your search. Hopefully the knowledgeable folks here can give you some valuable insight.

• Thank you (+1) 1

you could not have posted a thread and it being read by more knowledgeable articulate folks. This thread will be fruitful for you Pete. Amen,

I have zero knowledge about living in WNY have not done it since 1978.  My roots.

anyway best of luck and keep we posted!

m

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Aren't those the only months when they ARE nice?

The only truly bad months are July & August. The rest is pretty fantastic. It just took my Buffalo blood a little while to get acclimated.

2 hours ago, qwksilver said:

The only truly bad months are July & August. The rest is pretty fantastic. It just took my Buffalo blood a little while to get acclimated.

I went one time and it was like walking thru a steam bath and some I knew said only way to deal with it was to have a garage and run air conditioning before you drive car.  I went to Hong Kong in summer and it is hot all day and night when it is not rainy but humidity was high but not as bad and way from main city good breezes.

• Like (+1) 1

19 hours ago, qwksilver said:

I would love to move back as well. I'm just not sure my wife & I could handle the 4+ months of winter. South Florida sun is so nice in the winter.

As a native WNYer who has now lived in SE FL for like 8 years, (and lots of other places too) I can't fathom anyone seriously considering a move BACK to WNY.

It's more like 6 months of "bad weather" depending on how you define bad.

Down here, every day is summer.  Not that it's perfect mind you!  I have tons of complaints about south FL living...

But no way could I endure the weather in a climate like WNY again.  No way.

I guess it depends on the individual.  Some people are much more sensitive to weather/climate/gray sky than others are! 

19 hours ago, Limeaid said:

Aren't those the only months when they ARE nice?

You're in NOVA right?  FL is no different than the DC area in terms of raw heat and humidity.

It's just the season for that lasts a month or 2 longer down here in FL.

DC/NOVA is a still swamp though.

FL definitely has 4 seasons and the weather changes here with the calendar.  It's just that the changes are more subtle than some other areas.

Starting about a month ago, including now, an into April, it's glorious down here.

Best month of the year, for me, is March.

1 hour ago, Nextmanup said:

As a native WNYer who has now lived in SE FL for like 8 years, (and lots of other places too) I can't fathom anyone seriously considering a move BACK to WNY.

It's more like 6 months of "bad weather" depending on how you define bad.

Down here, every day is summer.  Not that it's perfect mind you!  I have tons of complaints about south FL living...

But no way could I endure the weather in a climate like WNY again.  No way.

I guess it depends on the individual.  Some people are much more sensitive to weather/climate/gray sky than others are! 

I agree November through March is almost perfect.

I probably wouldn't be able to do the winters/cold and gray for 6 months. I could see us having a summer place in WNY, when we retire but my bank account says we're not ready for that yet.

• Like (+1) 1

Like anywhere, there are pros and cons, most of the major ones listed here.  

Id say the best pro... is you can find an affordable house here that would be considered a lap of luxury and be like 500% of the price elsewhere.  Followed by the relatively slow-ish pace and low traffic nuisance.  

Biggest cons would be the weather, mainly the extra month or 2 tagged onto winter.  Also  high paying job market/lack of fortune 500s.

I think at this point, if I wasnt so rooted with my/our jobs and our parents/relatives, etc... I would really want to move to like the Carolinas or something.  Not quite the Florida scene.

^  That is it in a nutshell.

Were to live?  What's "good" or "bad" ????  

The correct answer is it all depends, and it all depends on the individual.

All you can do is isolate a variable or 2 that you find MOST important, and then try to live in an area where those variables are in the "pro" column and not the "con" column.

Another thing, nowhere is perfect and everywhere has downsides of all kinds.

Also, not everyone is equally impacted by weather.  Some people don't mind it or flat out love the winters in Buffalo.  It all depends on the person.

On 12/9/2021 at 10:56 AM, Logic said:

Been considering the same.

I grew up in Rochester but haven't lived there since I left at age 18.

The rent and home prices seemingly ANYWHERE in the country other than WNY are insane. I live in Portland, OR currently, and there's not a chance in hell that I can reasonably afford a house here. For what I'd spend on a small, 1 bedroom, ranch style house in the city here, I could get a five bedroom palace with acres of land and a creek in WNY. Truly. It's mind boggling how affordable housing is in WNY when compared to most of the rest of the country.

I'm not sure I want to do Rochester again, though. I'm almost more tempted to give Buffalo a shot, though I've never lived there before. I suppose the two cities are comparable in a lot of ways, but at least Buffalo might be a bit more exciting since I've never lived there before. I'm not familiar with what areas surrounding Buffalo would be desirable to live in, though. What suburbs, what neighborhoods, etc. 

Anyway...good luck in your search. Hopefully the knowledgeable folks here can give you some valuable insight.

Funny, they are comparable. But I've always felt the cities are complete opposites in many ways. Anyone else feel that way?

Not to knock Buffalo, but if you are looking for a nice place with affordable living and decent weather, check out Wilmington, NC. The beaches are wonderful. You can still get a nice house for under $250K. And Screen Gems movie studios is there. 

• Like (+1) 1

lots of people snowbird from one place to another depending on the season.....Im glad to read that jobs are available and the economy seems well. it wasn't  always that way.

I wouldnt trade my WNY childhood for anything. I think it can be a great place to raise a family. The reasons many left WNY was not weather related but more job. Im a baby boomer so I fear falling and Icy weather and me wouldnt be a great mix. But I LOVE Buffalo city. My sister lives in allentown and son upstate.

Ulster county. Whenever I can get back It feels absolutely awesome.

8 hours ago, Bandito said:

I miss my family, friends, great summer weather and Wegmans but that is about it. 

Interesting, I moved away quite a while ago and now live in VA and your first three items are what I am considering in snagging a summer place in WNY. Taxes are the biggest factor in returning. Their C19 response does not hit my top 10 in opposition factors.

On 12/9/2021 at 10:27 AM, teef said:

as someone who lives in the rochester area, are you sure you may not want to move somewhere a bit more sun laden?  i do love my work and living situation here, (even though i B word about the taxes) but the january to april run is brutal.  cold, damp, and gray.  the lack of sun is what messes me up.  other than that, i do like living in wny.  maybe a bit too routine at time, but i'm comfortable here.

Agreed, after my daughter graduates high school in 4 years I am trying to talk my wife into moving down to South Carolina.  been there on business a few times and really like it.  I am going to double down and try to talk my daughter into going to college down there, maybe Coastal Carolina or University of SC.  My friend and I were talking at the Monday night game, the snow gets over blown here, especially if you don't live in the southtowns.  Yeah yeah we get our 80 to 90 inches of snow but it snows then melts, snows then melt.  This year where I live at least in south lancaster we have hardly got anything.  Middle of December and I haven't picked up a shovel yet.  But....the real thing that bothers me is the cloudy weather and the wind here.  We will go 8-9 days without seeing the sun in the winter/early spring.  It is depressing.  I don't know, I love to golf too, I want to go somewhere we can golf all year round.  Oh and BTW, the taxes suck, I could buy a similar house in SC with $2K in taxes compared to the 9K I am paying here.

3 hours ago, Gordio said:

Agreed, after my daughter graduates high school in 4 years I am trying to talk my wife into moving down to South Carolina.  been there on business a few times and really like it.  I am going to double down and try to talk my daughter into going to college down there, maybe Coastal Carolina or University of SC.  My friend and I were talking at the Monday night game, the snow gets over blown here, especially if you don't live in the southtowns.  Yeah yeah we get our 80 to 90 inches of snow but it snows then melts, snows then melt.  This year where I live at least in south lancaster we have hardly got anything.  Middle of December and I haven't picked up a shovel yet.  But....the real thing that bothers me is the cloudy weather and the wind here.  We will go 8-9 days without seeing the sun in the winter/early spring.  It is depressing.  I don't know, I love to golf too, I want to go somewhere we can golf all year round.  Oh and BTW, the taxes suck, I could buy a similar house in SC with $2K in taxes compared to the 9K I am paying here.

i know a number of people who are making the move to SC and georgia over florida.  maybe not as warm, but really reasonable winters.  it's kid dependent for me to.  i'm 44 and have a 6 and a 3 yr old, so i have a long time to plan because i don't think i'd do much until i know their college situation.  

the gray and wind have been awful here too, but it will be in the 60s tomorrow, so there's that.  still...leaving here from january to april sounds glorious.  i'll always keep a place up here for the summer and fall, but no way i'm staying here in the winter.  if there's ever another major bubble burst concerning real estate down south, i'll consider buying something, and maybe renting it out while i'm waiting for my time to come.  i also can't imagine having taxes in the low thousands range.  our school taxes here are 5 figures.  it sucks.

• Like (+1) 2

On 12/8/2021 at 7:27 PM, Pete said:

I moved in with girlfriend in Massachusetts a couple years ago- I need to lose her and get on with my life.   I love NH - not a lot of jobs.  I checked out Burlington Vermont- $1500 studio apartments - too rich for me.  I checked out Massachusetts and Pennsylvania- pricey.

Buffalo- bargain!  I moved from Buffalo 1979 to Connecticut.  The day we moved there was a tornado- maybe that was a message lol.  So like the salmon returning, I’m strongly considering Buffalo.  I need to get out of here ASAP.  

So if anyone could give me any tips - where to live, moving, jobs, I’d greatly appreciate.  

Buffalo is a fine place to live reasonably, as long as you can tolerate nearly six months of chilly, grey weather.  I’m fine here, but having lived in and visited many “world class” cities, Buffalo most certainly isn’t that. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, AlCowlingsTaxiService said:

Buffalo is a fine place to live reasonably, as long as you can tolerate nearly six months of chilly, grey weather.  I’m fine here, but having lived in and visited many “world class” cities, Buffalo most certainly isn’t that. 

We’re outta here again in 2022

On 12/8/2021 at 7:27 PM, Pete said:

Move to Saratoga 

On 12/15/2021 at 2:05 PM, teef said:

i know a number of people who are making the move to SC and georgia over florida.  maybe not as warm, but really reasonable winters.  it's kid dependent for me to.  i'm 44 and have a 6 and a 3 yr old, so i have a long time to plan because i don't think i'd do much until i know their college situation.  

the gray and wind have been awful here too, but it will be in the 60s tomorrow, so there's that.  still...leaving here from january to april sounds glorious.  i'll always keep a place up here for the summer and fall, but no way i'm staying here in the winter.  if there's ever another major bubble burst concerning real estate down south, i'll consider buying something, and maybe renting it out while i'm waiting for my time to come.  i also can't imagine having taxes in the low thousands range.  our school taxes here are 5 figures.  it sucks.

I was spoiled by 30 years in Hilton Head, SC and Sarasota, FL. Living in Atlanta we have better winters than WNY, but it’s a lot of gray, chilly drizzle. YUCK! More than I like for sure. Having said that,  GA and SC have a lot of great options. I want nothing that resembles winter unless I have a plane ticket home. 

MY BIL lives in Greenville, SC and it’s a very lovely town. It’s a city I could enjoy, but I still want better winters. I hate the gray here!

My mom is 94, my son is 29 and starting to think about having kids. They both live in Atlanta. I’m here for now, but trying to think about the ultimate scenario. I keep coming back to having a “home”, and a small place to get away from hot summers or cold winters. 

Good luck with the kids and getting thru the college years. It’s crazy how much they dictate what we do in life! But that’s what we do. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 12/19/2021 at 10:41 PM, Augie said:

I was spoiled by 30 years in Hilton Head, SC and Sarasota, FL. Living in Atlanta we have better winters than WNY, but it’s a lot of gray, chilly drizzle. YUCK! More than I like for sure. Having said that,  GA and SC have a lot of great options. I want nothing that resembles winter unless I have a plane ticket home. 

MY BIL lives in Greenville, SC and it’s a very lovely town. It’s a city I could enjoy, but I still want better winters. I hate the gray here!

My mom is 94, my son is 29 and starting to think about having kids. They both live in Atlanta. I’m here for now, but trying to think about the ultimate scenario. I keep coming back to having a “home”, and a small place to get away from hot summers or cold winters. 

Good luck with the kids and getting thru the college years. It’s crazy how much they dictate what we do in life! But that’s what we do. 

Just went to Greenville for a long weekend in September, shot down to Clemson for a game as my niece and nephew go there.  Greenville is cool for sure—lots to do.  My understanding is it’s one of the fastest growing cities of some category in the country.  

On 12/19/2021 at 9:11 PM, mead107 said:

Move to Saratoga 

Very nice town.  

• Like (+1) 2

• 2 weeks later...
43 minutes ago, Einstein said:

Prices in Rochester have increased considerably as well.

My home has appreciated nearly $100,000 in the last 2 years.

Careful! Don’t go spending that equity. This feels a lot like 2004-2005. Then came 2006, and all the people under water on their houses started defaulting. “Why should I pay when it’s worth less than I owe?” People would rather have an STD than real estate in those days! Then the banks failing in 2008. We need to learn from our mistakes. 

If you do a quick google search  of real estates cycles, you will likely see about 18 years come up. I’m not a blind believer, but you can probably do the math and look at the market.  What do you think? 

I don’t mean to preach, but my working life has been in banking and real estate. It’s a sensitive subject for me. Be wise and be safe.

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, Augie said:

Careful! Don’t go spending that equity. This feels a lot like 2004-2005. Then came 2006, and all the people under water on their houses started defaulting. “Why should I pay when it’s worth less than I owe?” People would rather have an STD than real estate in those days! Then the banks failing in 2008. We need to learn from our mistakes. 

If you do a quick google search  of real estates cycles, you will likely see about 18 years come up. I’m not a blind believer, but you can probably do the math and look at the market.  What do you think? 

I don’t mean to preach, but my working life has been in banking and real estate. It’s a sensitive subject for me. Be wise and be safe.

I completely agree.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.