Buffalo #1 NFL City ... for Bad Weather as per The Weather Channel

ChasBB

On 11/26/2021 at 1:11 PM, Nextmanup said:

I have to say, this seems so over-played.

In December and January, MOST of this country is cold and crappy.  I'm not sure it's any worse in Orchard Park, especially if there is no storm at the moment.

Also: parts of this country (Green Bay, Chicago, Minneapolis) are FREAKING COLD in the winter time...they routinely get much colder air than Buffalo does, thanks to the lake.

On a non-storm kind of day, I'd rather be in Buffalo than Green Bay or Chicago, with minus 3 outside air temps.

It just doesn't get that cold in WNY typically.

The stadium in Orchard Park is the windiest in the league, and by a fair bit. THAT is the reason why it is the worst weather stadium. https://247sports.com/nfl/cincinnati-bengals/Article/Kickers-Nightmare-The-Windiest-NFL-Stadiums-105213973/

and 

https://weather.com/news/news/2019-09-12-nfl-worst-weather-cities

On 11/26/2021 at 1:27 PM, Big Turk said:

Actually Boston is windier than we are...average winds in Buffalo are 11.8 mph to 12.3 mph for Boston

The Patriots don’t play in Boston, and the Bills don’t play in Buffalo. Foxborough is much further inland than Boston and not as windy; OP is a southern suburb and windier than the city and the northern suburbs.

10 minutes ago, Doc said:

So it's more windy because it's built into the ground?

Was told on a tour of the stadium the swirling winds are due to it being the only stadium in the NFL that only has a single tunnel. This causes an imbalance in wind patterns on the field and the swirling winds it is so often known for

7 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Was told on a tour of the stadium the swirling winds are due to it being the only stadium in the NFL that only has a single tunnel. This causes an imbalance in wind patterns on the field and the swirling winds it is so often known for

But they can close the tunnel, correct?

1 hour ago, dave mcbride said:

The stadium in Orchard Park is the windiest in the league, and by a fair bit. THAT is the reason why it is the worst weather stadium. https://247sports.com/nfl/cincinnati-bengals/Article/Kickers-Nightmare-The-Windiest-NFL-Stadiums-105213973/

and 

https://weather.com/news/news/2019-09-12-nfl-worst-weather-cities

The Patriots don’t play in Boston, and the Bills don’t play in Buffalo. Foxborough is much further inland than Boston and not as windy; OP is a southern suburb and windier than the city and the northern suburbs.

I love how the diehards try to rationalize so badly how the weather in Orchard park is " no big deal".  They'll go kicking and screaming if someone takes away that outdoor experience. It's well documented that Josh struggles in wind and rain. If you don't want a dome or at least a retractable roof then don't complain when his ball gets blown off target by the incessant winds of OP. Be careful what you wish for anti-domers.

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

I love how the diehards try to rationalize so badly how the weather in Orchard park is " no big deal".  They'll go kicking and screaming if someone takes away that outdoor experience. It's well documented that Josh struggles in wind and rain. If you don't want a dome or at least a retractable roof then don't complain when his ball gets blown off target by the incessant winds of OP. Be careful what you wish for anti-domers.

Wouldnt a chrome dome be cool???? Every bald man in America unite!!!!

35 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

lol... "blown off target". 

I remember when many here would opine that the Bills need a "big armed QB" to handle the elements.  No the biggest armed QB in the league is on the roster.....and he is uniquely ill-equipped to handle the elements, even....rain??

I love this place!

1 hour ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Most QBs struggle in the wind and rain.  It's the romantic idea of "playing in the elements" that's the reason people voted for no roof/dome. They should have done the poll right after a home game in early January. 

On 11/26/2021 at 10:11 AM, Nextmanup said:

In December and January, MOST of this country is cold and crappy.  I'm not sure it's any worse in Orchard Park, especially if there is no storm at the moment.

Also: parts of this country (Green Bay, Chicago, Minneapolis) are FREAKING COLD in the winter time...they routinely get much colder air than Buffalo does, thanks to the lake.

On a non-storm kind of day, I'd rather be in Buffalo than Green Bay or Chicago, with minus 3 outside air temps.

I've worked in over 40 states, and ya upstate NY gets bad but I feel like not enough people have been to N Dakota or wyoming in Feb and its below zero and the wind is blowing semi trucks on their sides lol

1 hour ago, Doc said:

Most QBs struggle in the wind and rain.  It's the romantic idea of "playing in the elements" that's the reason people voted for no roof/dome. They should have done the poll right after a home game in early January. 

Buffalo is not a soft City.. the residents here grew up with football in the elements

They're brought up with the game, with the idea that it's supposed to be played in the elements

It's a tough game meant for tough people

I'm just a football historian and a purist

12 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Buffalo is not a soft City.. the residents here grew up with football in the elements

They're brought up with the game, with the idea that it's supposed to be played in the elements

It's a tough game meant for tough people

I'm just a football historian and a purist

It's not a matter of being soft.  And football players who spend maybe half a season in the area, much of it during decent weather, doesn't a hard football player make.

7 minutes ago, Doc said:

It's not a matter of being soft.  And football players who spend maybe half a season in the area, much of it during decent weather, doesn't a hard football player make.

They still practice in orchard Park

A lot of players live in Western New York

And Sean McDermott can introduce them to the elements during the week.. coaches have done that for 50 years 

We've always had coaches who got our team used to the elements during the season in practice... If McDermott doesn't do that it's on him

Edited by Buffalo716

2 hours ago, Protocal69 said:

Its what causes the wind to whip around in the stadium which makes kicking in there tricky especially in the winter time

I would like to see an explanation showing how being built sub grade makes it more windy.

Nearly 100% of the time, wind is stronger with an increase in elevation from grade.

The wind whips around because it is very often windy at that location, and the architecture of the structure, including the tunnel.

There are things that could be done to mitigate it.  

On 11/26/2021 at 1:11 PM, Nextmanup said:

I just moved back to Buffalo from New York. I’m astonished at how grey it is everyday regardless of temperature or precipitation. The sun is a rare sight.

12 minutes ago, sherpa said:

I would like to see an explanation showing how being built sub grade makes it more windy.

Nearly 100% of the time, wind is stronger with an increase in elevation from grade.

The wind whips around because it is very often windy at that location, and the architecture of the structure, including the tunnel.

There are things that could be done to mitigate it.  

I read before that because of bottom being underground the stadium is like bowl and the wind just whips around with no where to go. That may not be the exact explanation but thats the jist of it

1 hour ago, Protocal69 said:

I read before that because of bottom being underground the stadium is like bowl and the wind just whips around with no where to go. That may not be the exact explanation but thats the jist of it

It doesn't have anywhere to go because it is obstructed by the structure, same as any other mostly closed in stadium.

Having the field below grade makes no difference. 

2 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

team used to the elements…in practice

Garbage. 
You can’t get used to wind, rain, in random patterns from one day to the next in a practice vs. game. The winds are strongest in buf vs. every other nfl city. It is a fact. You’ll notice they have an indoor practice field. Hmmmmm. I wonder why?

55 minutes ago, Since1981 said:

Garbage. 
You can’t get used to wind, rain, in random patterns from one day to the next in a practice vs. game. The winds are strongest in buf vs. every other nfl city. It is a fact. You’ll notice they have an indoor practice field. Hmmmmm. I wonder why?

Having an indoor facility doesn't mean they can't practice outside in inclement weather during the season to get used to it a bit 

EVERY single coach In our history has utilized that 

You can't get that weather in Miami ... We can practice in it 

Levy , Marrone, Saban , even McDermott has utilized it 

It does help.. otherwise they wouldn't do it.. maybe they should more often

Edited by Buffalo716

Lets see..

We rarely have Tornado's

Dont se Tsunami rolling our way

Do not see Hurricanes hitting WNY in the foreseeable future..

Wildfire do to Lightning rarely happen.

We dont get Dust storms 

We get floods but rarely the the extreme the mid west goes through...

Just a dumb remark by someone that lives somewhere where they close after an inch of snow. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.