Your thoughts on AJ Klein

HOUSE

2 hours ago, HOUSE said:

A.J. Klein signed a 3 year, $18,000,000 contract with the Buffalo Bills, including a $1,200,000 signing bonus, $11,300,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $6,000,000.

image.png.9e222dbfd502dfccc5fa1a02ba600f8a.png

My thoughts on AJ Klein.  - He is a decent back-up level LB, but god forbid he has to start to many weeks.  

He is a pretty good straight ahead thumper, but he was out of position on several passes where he was to slow to cover the running back in the flat and gave up first downs, he missed tackles on the RBs in space on passes, and he wasn’t deep enough on drops to impact the middle of the field passes.  Any plays outside the hash marks/numbers were questionable as he lacks the sideline speed to close on the ball.

There we’re several running plays where just like Edmunds he was blocked 10+ yards down field and jumped on the pile at the end or slid off the RB.

Basically in the modern NFL - he is a nice luxury to have, but he was not an improvement out there.  He made a few plays, missed a few plays, and was exactly what he should be - an experienced vet that did not cost them the game.

I like him best coming in for a few plays here or there in specific situations and then let him sit the rest of the time.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, JY422 said:

Just because Klein hits hard and makes point of impact plays in one game we have people thinking he makes Edmunds expendable. 
keep in mind the Bills D gave up their highest passing total of the season yesterday. That’s Mike White and Old-ass Joe Flacco doing that. C’mon people. I thought we were beyond overlooking Edmunds overall value to the Bills. What he brings to this D goes beyond his stats and eye-popping plays. Several of those big passes over the middle (especially the third and longs) would not have happened if 49 is playing yesterday. He’s too long, fast and smart to give that ish up. 

Agree that with most offenses being pass heavy and especially against the Bills most teams try to get rid of the ball quickly, having a tall, fast LB like Edmunds is a must. Even when playing the nickel defense which the Bills typically do.

I kind of wonder if they couldn't play a traditional 4-3 with Edmunds ability to play against the TE or slot but also give them more bodies to defend the run.

It's fine to just accept the shorter typical run plays in order to prevent the pass, but there are two teams that either isn't or might not work against - the Titans and the Patriots. Not that either of those two teams should concern the Bills...

I almost think Klein's one "strength" over Edmunds would have made him a better choice against the Titans. But that's about it.

• Like (+1) 1

My thoughts - I wish he and Edmunds could make a love child to play LB for the Bills.

Pros
Ideal backup - high energy with good instincts. 

Cons
Lacks the lateral movement and coverage that Edmunds has.

Ultimately he's more likely to make a play in the backfield, but also more likely to give up a big play.  I think for a game or two he's great, but teams will start scheming around him if he were an every week starter.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Cotton Fitzsimmons said:

AJ’s skill set is definitely different than Milano and Edmunds, but he brings a sort of violence to the game that is unique. After that awful start he had filling in early last season, he has been terrific in the role they’ve designed for him. He gets in the backfield and really lays the wood.

And this is a key point.  I think the Bills learned their lesson last year not to just plug in Klein for Edmunds.   They change up the roles and responsibilities between Milano, Johnson, and Klein vs Milano, Johnson, and Edmunds.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, HOUSE said:

A.J. Klein signed a 3 year, $18,000,000 contract with the Buffalo Bills, including a $1,200,000 signing bonus, $11,300,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $6,000,000.

image.png.9e222dbfd502dfccc5fa1a02ba600f8a.png

AJ is a huge asset. Love having him. He's made such a huge leap from when he first got here.

I’m gonna say this, the next time the Bills play the Titans/Chiefs I wanna see a Klein and Edmunds on the field together. Let Edmunds play in Milano’s role. Edmunds have the length and athletic ability to cover TEs and Klein is a thumper!! Klein seems to attack the gaps more aggressively than Edmunds at this point in time. I know McDermott wouldn’t consider it, but it would be nice to see 

1 hour ago, HOUSE said:

Bills' A.J. Klein steps up vs. Jets: 'There's really no fall off'

https://billswire.usatoday.com/2021/11/15/bills-a-j-klein-steps-up-vs-jets-theres-really-no-fall-off/

“There’s really no fall off” says Jordan Poyer.

”He ran the defense just as if Tremaine was out there” says Taron Johnson. 

If Edmunds was on the level of Urlacher, Kuechle, Darius Leonard, etc., these comments would be seen as ridiculous and a slight to Edmunds. It’s nice to have Klein’s back and give him praise for his performance, but saying he handled the job just as well as your “pro bowl” starter is pretty damning to that starter for me. None of us would in a million years say “there’s no fall off with Davis Webb” “He ran the offense the same as Josh.”

• Dislike 1

He's fantastic.  I think if I'm Frazier, I use him more during games when everyone is healthy.  He brings a different look than Edmunds (pass rush, mostly).  I'd mix him in a few more times during the game.  I'm not saying he is better than Edmunds, when Edmunds is on his A game (which is horribly inconsistent) he is a top MLB.  But Klein is a great LB and a fantastic backup/rotational part.  

• Agree 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.