Your thoughts on AJ Klein

Bogie_Klinkhammer

If this was the 1990s and Klein could play in a 4-3 he might be a borderline Pro Bowler.

In 2021 he is problematic out in space. But he is smart and attacks downhill and brings great physicality. Great veteran depth, but the idea that he makes Edmunds expendable is ridiculous.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, JMF2006 said:

I think he is a throw back to the days of hard hitting laying the smack down his play says it all type LB.

He is is a mentor to to the young LB's and when he he needs to come in he plays all out.

I love him and think his contribution is underrated :)

hes being paid 6M a year. If that is underrated for a package player… 

he’s a nice piece. Not a guy I pay on that tier though not crazy out of line.

Klein has been amazing!! Struggled a bit early in the season last year, but being new in this Defense/system and learning it may have had played a part. Since then he has really been impressive. Doesn't matter if he's filling in for Milano or Edmunds, he's really good at either LB spot.

Although against the Jets, it seemed at times he did some things better than Edmunds in certain areas. Excellent depth at the position and makes me want a Klein jersey lol

53 minutes ago, Flip Johnson said:

If this was the 1990s and Klein could play in a 4-3 he might be a borderline Pro Bowler.

In 2021 he is problematic out in space. But he is smart and attacks downhill and brings great physicality. Great veteran depth, but the idea that he makes Edmunds expendable is ridiculous.

I would play Klein more against teams that are built around running the football like the Colts this week.

And since there's a good chance Edmonds isn't going to be 100% even if he plays this week that should happen by default.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

I like Klein as a high end backup. He is a better run defender and pass rusher than Edumonds but he is a liability in the passing game esp compared to Edumonds. I think McD hides Klein's weaknesses well. Against stronger passing offenses McD blitzes Klein more and against weaker passing attacks he puts him into as easy a pass defending assignment as possible. He played well against the Jets but once again it is the Jets. Hoping to see Edumonds back soon. 

On 11/15/2021 at 1:42 PM, JerseyBills said:

Amazing depth and versatility.  

Very good instincts. 

Plays with more ferociousness n more nasty than Edmunds. 

Somewhat of a liability against pass but not glaring.  

Great contract. Glad he's on this side

Id be curious about the great contract note. 

where’s the tipping point where you think he loses that value? I’d argue he’s a decent depth player being paid as a respectable starter. That’s not to try to crush him. You need those guys. But not sure he’s a contract you celebrate 

On 11/15/2021 at 6:12 AM, HOUSE said:

A.J. Klein signed a 3 year, $18,000,000 contract with the Buffalo Bills, including a $1,200,000 signing bonus, $11,300,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $6,000,000.

image.png.9e222dbfd502dfccc5fa1a02ba600f8a.png

AJ Klein was a player I hated 1st year
I admit, I have grown to love him  as a Buffalo Bill.

he is smart and intuitive. Hits like a truck 
But he plays best when playing a bit downhill with the play in front of him. Or on the line. Holds his gap integrity and even when muscled can affect the play. Like i said game smart and game quick.

Great fit as a Teams player and situational LB
Old school MLBs get me giddy.

Respect the Klein

I honestly don't see much of a drop from Edmunds to Klein and neither do the Bills players themselves. They both bring their own style and I feel Klein is more or a playmaker whereas Edmunds is just consistent thru out the whole game and much better in coverage yet weaker in run support. I'm not an Edmunds fan and I won't pretend to be. There's a reason he hasn't been signed to a massive deal yet. I don't think he's retained after this season unless he steps up in the playoffs (playoffs?!) 😡

19 minutes ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

I honestly don't see much of a drop from Edmunds to Klein and neither do the Bills players themselves. They both bring their own style and I feel Klein is more or a playmaker whereas Edmunds is just consistent thru out the whole game and much better in coverage yet weaker in run support. I'm not an Edmunds fan and I won't pretend to be. There's a reason he hasn't been signed to a massive deal yet. I don't think he's retained after this season unless he steps up in the playoffs (playoffs?!) 😡

You know he is already on a guaranteed contract for next year right.

He is a run stuffing 4-3 MLB.    A lot of offensives are spread formation passing.  There Edmunds, with his speed and height and short passing zone ability hinders them in the short passing zones.

A few teams are built against the normal offensive passing strategy and can do good by having a favorable mismatch against defensives built with personel who are pass defenders.  Klein is good at plugging gaps in the defensive line and we should and do trott him out against these teams.  Sometimes you need a dump truck and sometimes you need a sports car.

Another aspect is that we have a number of tall defnesive ends who can restrict passing lanes when they put their hands up. This provides some added pass defense and there is less pressure on MLB Klein to play pass defense.

5 minutes ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

5th year option?? That's for 1 year. I'm talking about a 5-7 year contract. 

Your quote stated he would not be retained after this year.  He is already on a guaranteed contract for next year - so it seems highly unlikely that they won’t retain him after this year.

He has not signed a long term contract, but they liked him enough to pick up a big option.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.