Breaking News: Odell Beckham is set to be released

Protocal69

I can't see ANYONE claiming him.   $7M is a massive cap hit at this point in the season.  

I expect he will end up in NOLA or LV but it wouldn't hurt the Bills much to bring him in for the minimum.      They could always cut him if there is any issue.    He doesn't have the leverage to be a distraction if he goes to a good team like the Bills or Rams.

• Agree 1

34 minutes ago, Herc11 said:

How does this view that he's not McBeane material keep popping up?

McBeane went after AB for God sakes. Give up this stupid idea as to being the reason why the Bills wouldn't pursue him.

And, NO, I do not want OBJ and his drama on the team. But I do think if McBeane saw him as a valuable talent upgrade, they would go after him for the right price.

Official statement from Brandon Beane in 2019:

"We inquired about Antonio Brown on Tuesday, and kept talks open with the Steelers. We had positive discussions, but ultimately it didn't make sense for either side. As great a player as Antonio Brown is, we have moved on and our focus is on free agency."

And this from Barstool Sports in April, 2020:

https://billswire.usatoday.com/2020/04/17/brandon-beane-on-antonio-brown-best-moves-can-be-ones-you-dont-make/

It's an overstatement to say that Beane "went after AB..." And if you think that Beane, and McDermott don't take character seriously in building a team, you haven't been paying attention. You can call it a "stupid idea" if you want, but I don't believe for a minute that anyone in the Bills organization wants a WR of OBJ's caliber barking in Josh Allen's ear that he isn't getting enough targets, and pitching a tantrum when Allen doesn't capitulate. And considering the talent we already have at wide receiver, and OBJ's history, there is every reason to believe that is precisely what would happen. He did it in NY, and he did it in Cleveland. That kind of behavior is bad in the locker room, and it's bad on game day. So, yeah I'll say it: Not Beane material.

Edited by Rocky Landing

43 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I can't see ANYONE claiming him.   $7M is a massive cap hit at this point in the season.  

I expect he will end up in NOLA or LV but it wouldn't hurt the Bills much to bring him in for the minimum.      They could always cut him if there is any issue.    He doesn't have the leverage to be a distraction if he goes to a good team like the Bills or Rams.

Well, this brings up an interesting point:

Who do you cut to make room for an OBJ experiment?

Not likely they cut Diggs, Sanders, or Beasley. 

So do you cut one of the cheap young guys you are trying to develop - Davis, McKenzie, Doyle, maybe one of the young guns from the D side?  Does it mean Stevenson spends an entire "lost season" on IR?

In the past, several (including yourself if I'm not mistaken) have been quite critical of the Bills for prioritizing roster spots for aging veterans such as 29 yr old Spencer Long over young players they could develop such as Wyatt Teller. 

I think there was a specific reason for that specific choice (ensuring we had someone on the 2019 roster who could play center more capably than Russell Bodine), but overall, I believe you had a valid point that the team can't completely prioritize aging veterans who can contribute now over developing cheap young players who may have superior talent.

5 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

So do you cut one of the cheap young guys you are trying to develop - Davis, McKenzie, Doyle, maybe one of the young guns from the D side?  Does it mean Stevenson spends an entire "lost season" on IR?

In the past, several (including yourself if I'm not mistaken) have been quite critical of the Bills for prioritizing roster spots for aging veterans such as 29 yr old Spencer Long over young players they could develop such as Wyatt Teller. 

I think there was a specific reason for that specific choice (ensuring we had someone on the 2019 roster who could play center more capably than Russell Bodine), but overall, I believe you had a valid point that the team can't completely prioritize aging veterans who can contribute now over developing cheap young players who may have superior talent.

I think Breida would be an easy cut choice.

I liked his signing but they aren't really blocking it up well enough in the run game for him to use his speed.........which is why I think we haven't seen him..........so he's sorta' street free agent level value to the team at this point and they have that quality on the PS if needed.     I even think that should Singletary or Moss get hurt Antonio Williams would be elevated from the PS and move in front of Breida on the depth chart.

I would IR Stevenson for the entire season if they added a veteran WR........he's a prospect in the same way that Isaiah Hodgins was a prospect...........no real tangible proof that he's a playable NFL WR.    But we've seen very little of him,   definitely a case of the team knows WAY more than we do about his potential.

I expect other veterans will start asking their way off of bad teams in the coming weeks so OBJ probably won't be the last potentially useful veteran to get dumped on the market.    

On 11/5/2021 at 2:35 AM, Protocal69 said:

https://sports.yahoo.com/browns-will-release-odell-beckham-jr-051443256.html

Per article team is working on contract changes since Tuesday night.

My bet is Beckham going to the Packers.

My bet is he goes to the Raiders seeing as their number 1 WR is deservedly no longer with them .

24 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I think Breida would be an easy cut choice.

I liked his signing but they aren't really blocking it up well enough in the run game for him to use his speed.........which is why I think we haven't seen him..........so he's sorta' street free agent level value to the team at this point and they have that quality on the PS if needed.     I even think that should Singletary or Moss get hurt Antonio Williams would be elevated from the PS and move in front of Breida on the depth chart.

Fair perspective.  I agree that "lack of suitable blocking" is one reason we haven't seen Breida...although one could argue that 4 yds on 4 carries is not competent RB play behind just about *any* OL - you expect a guy to at least fall forward and use his legs to gain a couple of yards.

24 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I expect other veterans will start asking their way off of bad teams in the coming weeks so OBJ probably won't be the last potentially useful veteran to get dumped on the market.   

Beane historically doesn't seem to like to pick these guys up - or maybe they don't want to come to B'lo, I don't know.

19 minutes ago, T master said:

My bet is he goes to the Raiders seeing as their number 1 WR is deservedly no longer with them .

That would be my take, although, I'm also a bit surprised Las Vegas hasn't moved to re-sign John Brown, since he was there in camp and may know the playbook.

I wonder what's going on with him physically, since I think (thought) he was a decent WR: a solid #2 or #3 option who could run all the routes smoothly but who got lost against physical bump-n-run coverage and couldn't outmuscle a guy to make the contested catch.

Perhaps the Bills knew something when they released him.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Rocky Landing said:

"We inquired about Antonio Brown on Tuesday, and kept talks open with the Steelers. We had positive discussions, but ultimately it didn't make sense for either side. As great a player as Antonio Brown is, we have moved on and our focus is on free agency."

https://billswire.usatoday.com/2020/04/17/brandon-beane-on-antonio-brown-best-moves-can-be-ones-you-dont-make/

It's an overstatement to say that Beane "went after AB..." And if you think that Beane, and McDermott don't take character seriously in building a team, you haven't been paying attention. You can call it a "stupid idea" if you want, but I don't believe for a minute that anyone in the Bills organization wants a WR of OBJ's caliber barking in Josh Allen's ear that he isn't getting enough targets, and pitching a tantrum when Allen doesn't capitulate. And considering the talent we already have at wide receiver, and OBJ's history, there is every reason to believe that is precisely what would happen. He did it in NY, and he did it in Cleveland. That kind of behavior is bad in the locker room, and it's bad on game day. So, yeah I'll say it: Not Beane material.

This is all PR speak after the fact. We have no idea how aggressive he was in going for AB. What we do know is that he was interested and looked into him after knowing AB's derelict history.

I'm not saying that McBeane doesn't value character. All of a players traits are considered, obviously. However, if talent is high and character are low and you need that position, there are tradeoffs you are willing to take. 

With that said, I dont think McBeane will look into OBJ, because we are already loaded at WR and there is no need to roll the dice on talent/character.

Edited by Herc11

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Mongo.  We need nfl caliber players. 

😂 

2 hours ago, Pete said:

I don't want ODB from what I gather.  It seems those videos posted with ODB wide open- ODB broke off routes and wasnt where he was supposed to be.  That was the problem with Giants.  That is very telling IMO

ODB is dead, RIP... Odell goes by OBJ

5 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Beckham is Irish though........and Odell in Irish is O'Dell.........so ODB is still acceptable, IMO. 

There is only one ODB... Ol'dirty Bastard, and there will never be another. This is why he doesn't go by ODB and no one refers to him as that.

Edited by Herc11

8 hours ago, Rocky Landing said:

We traded for Kelvin Benjamin who had character issues. Diggs literally did the same thing in Minnesota that obj did in Cleveland 

6 hours ago, Herc11 said:

This is all PR speak after the fact. We have no idea how aggressive he was in going for AB. What we do know is that he was interested and looked into him after knowing AB's derelict history.

I'm not saying that McBeane doesn't value character. All of a players traits are considered, obviously. However, if talent is high and character are low and you need that position, there are tradeoffs you are willing to take. 

With that said, I dont think McBeane will look into OBJ, because we are already loaded at WR and there is no need to roll the dice on talent/character.

The only reason I say we look is our run game stinks. So keep stacking the wr position like Kc did 

• Disagree 1

10 minutes ago, Herc11 said:

There is only one ODB... Ol'dirty Bastard, and there will never be another. This is why he doesn't go by ODB and no one refers to him as that.

No he goes by OBJ because those are his initials.     If ODB hadn't preceded him in pop culture he'd never have been referred to as ODB on purpose or accidentally.  OD are the first two letters of his first name.    Not his capitalized initials.  Get it?

But if you don't think a lot of people don't refer to him as Old Dirty Bastard or ODB........then you haven't been to an NFL game where he is playing.    People like calling him a bastard because he has a history of acting a fool.    Like he did this past week posting that sh*t under his father's previously inactive social media account.    Nobody in their right mind believes his 60 year old dad created that and scored it with some emo REM song.    That was all ODB.

9 hours ago, Herc11 said:

McBeane went after AB for God sakes. Give up this stupid idea as to being the reason why the Bills wouldn't pursue him.

And, NO, I do not want OBJ and his drama on the team. But I do think if McBeane saw him as a valuable talent upgrade, they would go after him for the right price.

I tend to agree with this as Diggs was just as big of a risk as Brown from what we knew at the time.  However, ever since they traded for Benjamin they seem reluctant to make a major move in season.  You build chemistry during OTA's and training camp by signing/drafting new players in March/April.  They may not want to mess with the chemistry in the locker room and on the field by making a major roster move in November.

Edited by Doc Brown
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

2 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

I tend to agree with this as Diggs was just as big of a risk as Brown from what we knew at the time.  However, ever since they traded for Benjamin they seem reluctant to make a major move in season.  You build chemistry during OTA's and training camp by signing/drafting new players in March/April.  They may not want to mess with the chemistry in the locker room and on the field by making a major roster move in November.

AB was a far bigger risk.  Not only was he a bad teammate, he was a character risk off-field as well.

1 minute ago, Doc said:

AB was a far bigger risk.  Not only was he a bad teammate, he was a character risk off-field as well.

Did we know that at the time though?  I know he wanted out of Pittsburgh like Diggs wanted out of Minnesota as their relationship soured with the team for whatever reason.  That's before AB went off his medication or something and started assaulting delivery guys.

Just now, Doc Brown said:

Did we know that at the time though?  I know he wanted out of Pittsburgh like Diggs wanted out of Minnesota as their relationship soured with the team for whatever reason.  That's before AB went off his medication or something and started assaulting delivery guys.

The sideline antics on brown were way worse. But besides that I would say about the same 

4 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

I had heard about off-field incidents with him prior to the report of him being traded to the Bills.  That (and quitting on the team) were reasons why I didn't want him.

5 minutes ago, TheJauronClap said:

The sideline antics on brown were way worse. But besides that I would say about the same 

I pry have poor recollection then as the only incident I remember was him broadcasting on social media inside the locker room at the same time Tomlin was saying to stay off social media.

6 minutes ago, Doc said:

I had heard about off-field incidents with him prior to the report of him being traded to the Bills.  That (and quitting on the team) were reasons why I didn't want him.

I remember the prevailing sentiment being that Roethlisberger was the reason both AB and Bell's relationship soured with Pittsburgh.  I could be wrong though.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

I pry have poor recollection then as the only incident I remember was him broadcasting on social media inside the locker room at the same time Tomlin was saying to stay off social media.

The one that stand out are. Got into a verbal match with the OC. Got benched after getting into a screaming match with Big Ben. And when he chucked the water cooler on the sideline

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

I remember the prevailing sentiment being that Roethlisberger was the reason both AB and Bell's relationship soured with Pittsburgh.  I could be wrong though.

It was primarily a money thing with both.  They both wanted huge new long-term contracts with tons of guaranteed money and in Bell's case, there were no known off-field incidents, but the nature of the position made it a bad investment.

33 minutes ago, Doc said:

It was primarily a money thing with both.  They both wanted huge new long-term contracts with tons of guaranteed money and in Bell's case, there were no known off-field incidents, but the nature of the position made it a bad investment.

It agree it was about the money.  I do recall Bell saying that Big Ben played a factor in him sitting out as he was tough to play with.  That somewhat aligned with what AB was saying at the same time so it's very possible that Beane thought AB would fit in fine with Buffalo.

52 minutes ago, Doc said:

Yeah the bell incident I think he had no guaranteed money left on his deal 

Chiefs, Saints and Packers are scenarios which make the most sense.

I would not see a use for him now and would rather see what Davis and Kumerow would do if it came down to injuries.   Maybe it would have made sense in 2017 or 2018 when our WR corp was Zay Jones, a 300 lb Kelvin Benjamin and a rotation of street free agents, but not now.

Edited by dgrochester55

12 hours ago, Herc11 said:

Hasn't the "Beane when after AB" been discounted by now? Making a call is not "going after". That's his JOB. To make calls when players hit the market. If it didn't he'd be ignoring his responsibility. That makes it sound like the Bills were in some bidding war for AB. They were NOT.

And of all the things the Bills may need, WR is NOT one of them at the moment. Especially when the WR is a head case whose best years were, well, years ago. Sanders is an exponentially better pickup, IMO.

Edited by The Dean
  • Disagree 1

You always try to bring in a special talent whether it’s a need or not. 

I don’t think ohDB is a special talent any more. I could be wrong but I think he has hit the point where that diva receiver can’t stay healthy anymore. The best ability is availability.

2 hours ago, HappyDays said:

So teams with high waiver priority have probably been told he won't report if they claim him. Now I think it is likely he clears waivers and signs a cheap one year deal with a contender.

So, if the Chiefs lose to the Jordan Love lead Packers today, does he cross the Chiefs off the list?🤔

Go Pack Go!!😁

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, The Dean said:

Hasn't the "Beane when after AB" been discounted by now? Making a call is not "going after". That's his JOB. To make calls when players hit the market. If it didn't he'd be ignoring his responsibility. That makes it sound like the Bills were in some bidding war for AB. They were NOT.

And of all the things the Bills may need, WR is NOT one of them at the moment. Especially when the WR is a head case whose best years were, well, years ago. Sanders is an exponentially better pickup, IMO.

Like I said in a previous response. All we heard after was Beane's PR response. We truly have no idea how far those talks went. Besides, do you think trades are completed in person? They are typically done over the phone. So, "Beane just making a phone call" doesn't prove anything.

Not saying we should or should not, but watching GMFB and I believe I've heard in the past numerous times OBJ is liked by the players. Would/could he be a replacement for Sanders next season? Would it be worth bringing him in and getting a good look to finish this season and then determine things going forward? Could we/would we even ponder this as a possibility? Especially if he clears waivers...

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, HappyDays said:

So teams with high waiver priority have probably been told he won't report if they claim him. Now I think it is likely he clears waivers and signs a cheap one year deal with a contender.

What does it say about this guy and his ability to make a team around him better, when the Browns were supposed to be a contender and are far from out of the playoff race as it stands?  The guy is a cancer with low character, and far from a leader.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.