[Edit -Released by Raiders] Henry Ruggs involved in a fatal car crash, "DUI resulting in death" charges expected

DCOrange

13 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

This might not be a popular thing to say but DWI is a crime that is often committed by men and women who did not, or don't as a rule commit other criminal acts. Many would be surprised at exactly who was/will be driving home after parties during the upcoming holiday season. Ma and Pa Legit will be all over our roads in December, tanked. Lots of these folks are also doing other things that would seem out of character after these parties. Alcohol is a very strange substance.

Now, when a Crip gets locked up for a gang related shooting, do you think that he will almost always have a sheet full of prior serious crimes? The answer is of course he will! Crime is a part of everyday life to many people right here in this country.  There is no reason to believe that Ruggs is one of these people.

Now, the above doesn't help the family of the deceased, nor does it make what Ruggs did OK. He deserves to be punished and certainly will be. He is not a politician who can kill someone and get away with it.

Absolutely right. Anyone who has experience in the criminal justice system understands the complexities that exist in evaluating crimes and those who commit them. I am absolutely about personal responsibility and holding people accountable for their actions. I also understand that each and every case is different and needs to be evaluated individually - even when a loss of life is involved.

• Like (+1) 1

Not sure if I buy this but I guess we should wait for the blood test results.

Having been in a pretty severe accident before myself, I can attest to being very dazed and confused from the impact.

The police came and I was so dazed from the impact that I couldn’t really even explain what had just happened in the accident. About the only thing I was able to tell the police was that she was driving very fast.

My ears were ringing. My head was spinning. I had a hard time concentrating on anything being said to me. But I was up and moving/walking around outside the car and had to be talked into even being taken to the hospital.

The lady who hit me ended up telling the cops some BS and I got a ticket for the accident even though she was speeding toward a red light and a line of stopped cars (100ft ahead of her) at a very high rate of speed. I had to fight it in court. 

I’m not saying I believe Rugg’s lawyer, just that I can see where the accident could have caused him to seem impaired.

But I definitely question the way his lawyer worded that statement saying Ruggs “doesn’t believe” he was drunk. Why say “doesn’t believe” if Ruggs wasn’t drinking? Why not just say Ruggs wasn’t drinking? Maybe I’m just reading too much into the “doesn’t think” part of the statement, but it seems to me like it’s a good possibility that Ruggs was at least drinking but maybe he thinks he was above the legal limit? 

At the very least it sounds like he was driving very recklessly though.

edit - yup he was drunk

Edited by BillsFan4
  • Shocked 2

1 hour ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

Ya know, WEO, many times in life, justifiably or not, we soften the harsh reality of events around us.  Whether we do it based upon our humanity or as a defense mechanism, I have no idea.

...but yeah, what you wrote above IS the reality of it, too.  Some might say it is harsh.  It isn't.

That video gets shown to a jury and he won't be getting the 2 year minimum...

53 minutes ago, CorkScrewHill said:

I actually mentioned that doing the food bank thing doesn't prove he is a good guy in a follow up post. He got drunk, got in his car and ..."

Doesn't mean he is a bad guy. It does mean he made at least one horrifically flawed decision in his life and now regardless of whether he is a piece of ***** or a good guy (my point of my originally post is none of us know him) he is a guy that is going to prison for a long-time and his family and the family of the other driver will never be the same.

Good guy, bad guy....doesn't matter.  "Good guys" occasionally kill people through acts of passion/rage or stupidity.  The laws aren't written to account for good or bad guys.  And there's no reason to believe that this is the "one" time he has made this horrifically flawed decision.  It's just the first time he got caught/wrecked ad car/killed someone.  It's pretty easy to assume he drove drunk on occasion...

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I believe teams do, but it's said the players don't want to use it.  They don't necessarily want the teams to know what they're up to.

At least as of a few years back, the NFLPA offered a car service that does not report who uses it to the teams.  You could both pre-plan rides and call in an emergency.

Makes sense they would not want the teams to know.  Although, would make sense for the teams to make them available no questions asked.

Not just getting behind the wheel drunk (sorry was at Top Golf and will know exactly what the bar tab was and may have been elsewhere too).

People make bad decisions, he compounded it by speeding and driving recklessly too.

Yep many may have driven 1-2 Kms (or miles) to a house/bar and had drinks.  95% I hope when returning home obey all signs, lights and drive the speed limit.

Edited by Billsfan1972

27 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Good guy, bad guy....doesn't matter.  "Good guys" occasionally kill people through acts of passion/rage or stupidity.  The laws aren't written to account for good or bad guys.  And there's no reason to believe that this is the "one" time he has made this horrifically flawed decision.  It's just the first time he got caught/wrecked ad car/killed someone.  It's pretty easy to assume he drove drunk on occasion...

Solid.

• Like (+1) 2

28 minutes ago, davefan66 said:

Makes sense they would not want the teams to know.  Although, would make sense for the teams to make them available no questions asked.

I think that's the gap the NFLPA tried to fill with their service which does not notify teams.  That said they probably have some procedure - a phone number or something - that the guys have to program into their phones ahead of time and then remember when they're boozed up to their eyeballs.

• Like (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

where did I state it made a difference to the punishment. I specifically stated that he will and should be punished. My whole point, which you are for some reason disregarding, was to reject the statement that he was a "piece of ****" when we don't know jack-diddly about the dude. He was 100% wrong when he got behind the wheel after drinking, he was 100% wrong when he decided to speed .. and the dude will pay for it as will his family and the family of the victim. 

As for it's "pretty easy to assume" .. it is but an assumption of course is not fact. Just a guess on your part.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.