[Edit -Released by Raiders] Henry Ruggs involved in a fatal car crash, "DUI resulting in death" charges expected

DCOrange

4 hours ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

@Hapless Bills Fan

Hap, I haven't been really paying attention since he left, but I just assumed that since departing Buffalo, even though he isn't a starter, that he was doing 30-35 per, just by inertia.

I was not expecting 33 games after his Bills career, with 40 total receptions. 

No I was not. 

You can't let him be the starter if you are the Raiders.  you can't

Nope.  Now I grant you, Jones only saw the field 27% of the offensive snaps in 2020 and 20% so far in 2021 (he's been playing some Teams, which he was not asked to do with Buffalo or in 2019-20 with the Raiders).

But he got 72% of the offensive snaps with LVR in 2019, and he contributed 2 receptions per game and 15 yds per game. 

27 targets in 461 snaps.  That's like what, 1 target every 20 snaps or so?

Pretty shabby for a guy who only needed a real QB throwing to him to make good.

• Shocked 1

16 hours ago, Dkollidas said:

Didn’t read all the comments, but anyone know why it was DUI as opposed to DWI? He was twice the legal limit?

overall just sad for the deceased. This was so avoidable. People make choices and each one realistically can change your entire life… 

"In the state of Nevada, all three terms DUI, DWI, or OUI are interchangeable and are used when discussing driving under the influence of either drugs or alcohol."

https://addictionblog.org/nevada/laws/dui

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, blacklabel said:

Saw a number of comments asking for empathy for Ruggs because he’s a 22 year old kid who made a terrible life changing choice. I struggle with that. The dude had more options than the average schmoe to do the right thing. Anyone can call an Uber or a taxi. He also had the NFLPA 24/7 transport service at his disposal. He could’ve called a teammate, a coach, a friend, hell, a friggin’ fan would’ve helped him. He knew better. He knew he had these options and he still made the decision to get behind the wheel and drive. I don’t care what he came from, I don’t care if the money and the mild celebrity status changed him. It’s not that effin’ hard to understand the four simple words of “Don’t drink and drive.” I can’t empathize with that and unlike Carr, I got no love for someone who needlessly ended someone’s life because they wanted to be a hot shot and race around in their fancy new car. 156 mph in a 40 mph residential zone on a street with a high number of traffic lights is ridiculously absurd. All my love and empathy is for the victim and her family. She’s gone because this dude was a jack@$$. His actions are inexcusable and indefensible. 

Well, if he was twice the legal limit 2 hours after the crash, he was legit blackout drunk when he got into his car, and essentially had no clue what he was doing.  I have a couple of friends/acquaintances who are alcoholics and I've witnessed them get to that blackout drunk stage on more than one occasion and they are essentially braindead feral creatures at that point.  His mistake was driving himself and his girl out for the evening when he knew he was going to drink.  Don't get me wrong, he needs to pay dearly for his actions - but questioning his judgment in that moment is really irrelevant, since he no longer had the ability to make any kind of rational decision. 

Also, why didn't his GF step in and at least attempt to stop him from getting behind the wheel in that state?  She admitted to the cops that they had been drinking all night.  She is not blameless either.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

5 hours ago, TheBrownBear said:

Well, if he was twice the legal limit 2 hours after the crash, he was legit blackout drunk when he got into his car, and essentially had no clue what he was doing.  I have a couple of friends/acquaintances who are alcoholics and I've witnessed them get to that blackout drunk stage on more than one occasion and they are essentially braindead feral creatures at that point.  His mistake was driving himself and his girl out for the evening when he knew he was going to drink.  Don't get me wrong, he needs to pay dearly for his actions - but questioning his judgment in that moment is really irrelevant, since he no longer had the ability to make any kind of rational decision. 

Also, why didn't his GF step in and at least attempt to stop him from getting behind the wheel in that state?  She admitted to the cops that they had been drinking all night.  She is not blameless either.

Right for blackout. But he should limit himself when driving or going out. If wanna drink lots do it at home.  One of my buddies go out sometimes usly has one or two drinks and call it quits. When driving legit limit you're self. Just unfortunate feel terrible for everyone. Thoughts and prayers goes to everyone.  All this horrible for everyone.

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Raiders didn't move on old email.  Gruden resigned.

Now, whether his tail got twisted to do so I can't say

When the owner of a business (Mark Davis) walks into your office, and when he leaves you are no longer employed, its not too hard to figure out what happened. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, TheBrownBear said:

I let this sit for 5 hrs and then came back to it because when I first read it, that last "also" part ticked me off.  It just reads like blame-shifting towards his injured girlfriend, to me.

These guys and their teammates would be the first to tell you they are "Grown Ass Men" who don't need anyone questioning their judgement or telling them what to do with their fine selves.

Sometimes when men abuse their WAG we hear (not saying this is you), "she knows how he gets when he's drunk, why did she get in his face like that?"  like it's her fault she got clocked, she should know better than to risk angering a super-strong "braindead feral creature".

If being a "braindead feral creature" who has been drinking means his judgement can't be questioned because he has none, why are we expecting his girlfriend (who may have been drinking just as much or more proportional to her body mass and metabolism) to have better judgement AND then exercise some control over him?

For all we know, she did say "hey, let's call an UBER and he said no and started to get pissed so she backed off

• Like (+1) 3

On 11/2/2021 at 5:28 PM, BTB said:

I’m not defending Ruggs, but this thread is judge, jury and executioner all in one thread a 1/2 day after the accident. 

Funny, when one of our own was caught drag racing on Milestrip Rd(and luckily hit a tree instead of another car), there was a whole bunch of chalking it up to being a “troubled youth” who had to deal with much adversity growing up. 

Driving like an ass on a public road is not drag racing.

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, TheBrownBear said:

.16 and he's "blackout drunk"? Come on, this is obviously not true.  He was able to open the car, start it up, drive out of the parking lot and travel a distance before crashing.  Then, after hitting another car at over 150 mph, he simply  got out of his vehicle  and started crying.   None of that is anything like "backing out", nor did a BAC of .16 make it impossible to chose a ride service instead. 

And putting this on the girlfriend?  Nice touch...

Sounding like it may be a career ender for Ruggs.  I imagine that he'll be charged with something like vehicular manslaughter.  Unless he's got a real good attorney, he might be facing a few years in prison.  He may or may not be able to get back into football after doing 3-5 years.  He may be young enough when his sentence is over, but he's got to convince a team that he has reformed and it's worth taking a chance on him.

8 hours ago, TheBrownBear said:

Crazy cause I asked my wife earlier yesterday if I was stupid enough to be driving drunk and speeding would she have enough sense to stop me and she told me she would unless she was totally toasted as well and knocked out

I asked because when I was younger I know I got behind the wheel once or twice drunk but my thought process was to take my time rolled down my window, and just go home. I also had times I left my SUV at the club and took a cab home because I knew I was popped. I just don't understand how you get to the point you are doing 150+ mph down the street and at no point know you are about to smack right behind a another car. Sad for everyone involved.

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I let this sit for 5 hrs and then came back to it because when I first read it, that last "also" part ticked me off.  It just reads like blame-shifting towards his injured girlfriend, to me.

These guys and their teammates would be the first to tell you they are "Grown Ass Men" who don't need anyone questioning their judgement or telling them what to do with their fine selves.

Sometimes when men abuse their WAG we hear (not saying this is you), "she knows how he gets when he's drunk, why did she get in his face like that?"  like it's her fault she got clocked, she should know better than to risk angering a super-strong "braindead feral creature".

If being a "braindead feral creature" who has been drinking means his judgement can't be questioned because he has none, why are we expecting his girlfriend (who may have been drinking just as much or more proportional to her body mass and metabolism) to have better judgement AND then exercised some control over him?

For all we know, she did say "hey, let's call an UBER and he said no and started to get pissed so she backed off

Well, that's an awful lot of projecting on your part.  So, now you're just assuming she was abused?  I guess it's possible she was afraid or somehow coerced - guy was carrying after all, but that's a pretty big leap to make.  I myself, when there is no information to suggest otherwise, choose to assume that the adults in this situation are autonomous and are responsible for their actions.  We know she chose to get in the car with an extremely drunk individual ( I dunno, maybe she was in worse shape than him?).  And if she was that drunk, then yes, I'll give her the benefit of the doubt that she too lacked the cognitive awareness to make the correct and unselfish decision to call for a ride.  (Same thing applies if she was truly afraid of him).

Anyhow, the whole point of my post was to say that he shouldn't be driving himself out for the night if he intended to drink...period.  That was the decision that set the wheels in motion that led to this tragedy.  I know most people can be responsible and moderate their intake, but its way too easy for many people to have one too many or lose their handle on their alcohol intake in the moment.  I've seen it over and over again, which is why we see so many drunks on the road.

9 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Unfortunately, the majority of the assets are likely to go to the lawyers, the victim's family will get some.

I had no idea that auto insurance companies could deny payment for DUI and speeding - can anyone here confirm or deny?

Yes.

I'm an insurance underwriter and this is false. Exclusions only for street racing. No exclusions to standard iso policies for dui. Just a guy talking out of his arse.

56 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

.16 and he's "blackout drunk"? Come on, this is obviously not true.  He was able to open the car, start it up, drive out of the parking lot and travel a distance before crashing.  Then, after hitting another car at over 150 mph, he simply  got out of his vehicle  and started crying.   None of that is anything like "backing out", nor did a BAC of .16 make it impossible to chose a ride service instead. 

And putting this on the girlfriend?  Nice touch...

He was .16 when they drew his blood two hours later in the hospital.  .16 is enough to induce blackouts.  

https://www.niaaa.nih.gov/publications/brochures-and-fact-sheets/interrupted-memories-alcohol-induced-blackouts

And blackouts do not mean you can't continue to physically function (at least for awhile).  But you are severely drunk and you are no longer able to make clear rational decisions.  

Also, I didn't put this all on his girlfriend.  I questioned what role she played in allowing herself to be in a car with an extremely drunk individual.

17 hours ago, SCBills said:

Im sure Carr was aware.  He is very much driven by his faith, and his faith centers around unconditional love and forgiveness.   

He has shown that in his comments with both Jon Gruden and Henry Ruggs. 

What exactly does Carr's faith have to do with anything?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.