California bills fans coming to town, need local advice

Norcalbillsfan

Bought my Monday night football tickets, bringing my California friends, none of them have been to Buffalo, been telling them for years that buffalo is an awesome downtown bar scene. I haven't been back to buffalo in about 8 years and I want to make sure I show them the best. 

We are a meat eating craft beer drinking crew. Would love some advice from the local mafia.

- most importantly best breweries

- obviously wings

- tap house/ laid back beer drinking bars

- steak house

- where we should get an air bnb

- advice on getting to and leaving game

- anything else you guys can think of

Any advice is greatly appreciated thanks guys. Go bills.

• Like (+1) 2

Gotta do wings weck and pizza imo. Bar bill or bar bill north you can do wings and weck and then pizza you could do la nova, they have good wings as well, picassos and bocce club are very good too. Buffalo chophouse is a very fun steakhouse. I haven't been but you could also go to Russells. Just get to the game early for tailgate, I haven't been to a night game but aim to get there by 5pm I'd say. If you want to show them the falls you could go to the duffs out there as well! Have fun! 

Edited by nato7412
  • Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, Norcalbillsfan said:

Bought my Monday night football tickets, bringing my California friends, none of them have been to Buffalo, been telling them for years that buffalo is an awesome downtown bar scene. I haven't been back to buffalo in about 8 years and I want to make sure I show them the best. 

We are a meat eating craft beer drinking crew. Would love some advice from the local mafia.

- obviously wings

- steak house

Old First Ward Brewing inside Gene McCarthy's Pub on Hamburg St. Great wings, beef on weck, fish fry. Try their Hefeweizen.

https://www.genemccarthys.com/

Then cross the street to the Barrell Factory and stop by Lakeward Distilling and Pressure Drop Brewery.
https://www.barrelfactory.com/welcome.html

Also in the same neighborhood are Resurgence, Belt Line, Flying Bison, and Buffalo Distilling. Home of the One Foot ####.

Other food options in that area: Paula's Donuts, Hydraulic Hearth, Carbone's Pizzeria, DiTondo's, and Duende Silo City.

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Like (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, Norcalbillsfan said:

- obviously wings

- steak house

Hey bro. I live in SoCal but my parents used to live in upstate New York.

You’ve got to try Abbott’s Pizza for the pizza and wings.

I know this one is obvious but don’t forget Niagara Falls as well.

Have fun!

• Like (+1) 3

25 minutes ago, nato7412 said:

Gotta do wings weck and pizza imo. Bar bill or bar bill north you can do wings and weck and then pizza you could do la nova, they have good wings as well, picassos and bocce club are very good too. Buffalo chophouse is a very fun steakhouse. I haven't been but you could also go to Russells. Just get to the game early for tailgate, I haven't been to a night game but aim to get there by 5pm I'd say. If you want to show them the falls you could go to the duffs out there as well! Have fun! 

Gotta do real Roast beef on Kimmelwick, if you can go to Schwabls!!

• Like (+1) 4

52 minutes ago, Norcalbillsfan said:

- obviously wings

- steak house

Beer - Big ditch, Froth, Britesmith, Thin man

Wings - Barbill, never had wingnutz but they're supposed to be bomb

Tap House - I personally love moorpat and moor room

Steak house - Russells, chophouse, sear

Air BNB - I live here so i have no idea.  If its in elmwood village make sure you get off street parking.

Leaving - if you're going north i would park in a lot where you can turn right onto abbott towards milestrip.  You'll be stuck in 219/90 traffic but you won't have to turn left onto abbott(or add time by going to southwestern to big tree) which will add to your trip

Advice - Not sure when you plan to arrive to the tailgate and what supplies you have - but wegmans subs are clutch at a tailgate if you don't have a grill.  If you pick up a pizza on the way that would probably work well too.

6 minutes ago, Norcalbillsfan said:

Beef on weck has been one of the hardest to try to explain to my California friends haha. So I definitely want to take them to get some,  thanks for the advice.

sort of a french dip without cheese, like 3x the meat, and a weird roll.  Extra horseradish.

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Old First Ward Brewing inside Gene McCarthy's Pub on Hamburg St. Great wings, beef on weck, fish fry. Try their Hefeweizen.

https://www.genemccarthys.com/

Then cross the street to the Barrell Factory and stop by Lakeward Distilling and Pressure Drop Brewery.
https://www.barrelfactory.com/welcome.html

Also in the same neighborhood are Resurgence, Belt Line, Flying Bison, and Buffalo Distilling. Home of the One Foot ####.

Other food options in that area: Paula's Donuts, Hydraulic Hearth, Carbone's Pizzeria, DiTondo's, and Duende Silo City.

Also, as long as you are in Larkinville, Marinaro’s is always good. 😉

• Like (+1) 1

IMO, the micro breweries that make the best beer are Community Beer Works and McCarthy's (Promo linked above).  I like to hit Flying Bison because Tim (the original owner) was one of the pioneers in Buffalo and their beer is good too. 

oh, and Southern Tier is one my favorite IPAs, and they've taken over the old 716 restaurant which has a giant screen TV if you want to watch football on Sunday.  It's down near the Arena.

Edited by TPS
  • Like (+1) 1

Heck yeah, I’ll be at MNF also.  Gonna aim to start tailgating around 3 or so.  You should look for the covered wagon in the Hammer Lot, I’ll hook you up with a Jagerbomb or three. 

also, I second @dneveu’s recommendation of Moor Pat in Williamsville.  Britesmith (right across the street) also makes a good IPA — I can’t speak personally to their other beers yet.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.