Bills sign Taron Johnson to 3 year extension

YoloinOhio

8 minutes ago, BillsFan130 said:

I understand what constitutes drafting well.

I wasn't even ripping your post as I more agreeing with you.

But I am saying they have a lot of misses.

Tremaine Edmunds was not a hit btw. They traded up to get him where they could have drafted Darius Leonard.

No offense, but that’s an absurd statement.  So now the only way you “hit” is of the guy you drafted is the best player available at that draft slot regardless of position?  Our 2 time pro bowl LB in 3 seasons now is not a “hit” unless every player drafted after him is worse?

Sorry your logic is grossly flawed.  And every GM in history has a lot more misses than hits on their resume.  Never in any sport has a GM even batted .500 on their draft picks.  Like a Baseball player, their hit percentage will always be sub .500 and that’s true for all sports.  

What separates bad GMs from good ones are GMs who can identify the right type of players for their systems and then hit in a few big ones while also finding value contributors as role players in draft and free agency.  

In football, nothing is more important than hitting on a QB, and that one domino can often be the single definition of a good to great GM because it’s the single most important position in all off team sports.  But great GMs are the ones who can then build a team around that QB, and Beane has quickly become a top 3 GM in the NFL because of it, and if we add a SB victory to his resume he will widely be seen as the best GM in football.

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 8
  • Agree 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, JGMcD2 said:

And could have 32 other teams, including the Colts who

passed on him in the 1st round. The revisionist stuff doesn’t work. 

Ok. But don't say it was a hit of a draft pick.

He's overall a pretty good drafter.

But also remember their best draft was in 2017 and that wasn't Beane making the picks. (Dawkins, tre white, Milano etc)

He hit the home run with Josh Allen.

• Dislike 1

22 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Amazing. I was sure we’d lose him. 

Ditto. Nickel is a critical position in today’s NFL. Unlike the outside, there is no boundary to use to help you. 

At this point, I’d like to see them go C/G and RCB in the 2022 draft. 

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, BillsFan130 said:

No I'm not saying that.

But I don't think Edmunds is a hit of a draft pick.

If he was a good player I would say it was.

But my opinion on Edmunds isn't that high, and I think they whiffed by trading up to get an average player. (in my mind)

Passing on Leonard was just the cherry on top for me

Edmunds has gotten better every season so far.  Future’s bright for that kid.

• Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, BillsFan130 said:

Ok. But don't say it was a hit of a draft pick.

He's overall a pretty good drafter.

But also remember their best draft was in 2017 and that wasn't Beane making the picks. (Dawkins, tre white, Milano etc)

He hit the home run with Josh Allen.

Did I say Tremaine was a hit? Show me where I said that… I said he’d get extended.

Let me just cite The Athletic article published yesterday where multiple people in the NFL are quoted saying they don’t understand why fans think Tremaine Edmunds isn’t a stud despite everyone outside of Buffalo viewing him as a special player. **Spoiler: It’s because fans have no idea what his responsibilities are and the problems he poses for opposing offenses.**

FYI - I did analysis on the Bills drafting under McBeane and then just with Beane. Beane is one of the best drafters since he took over the draft for the Bills in 2018… he’s better than “pretty ok.” I also specifically said “The Bills” in my OP and not “Beane” for this reason exactly. 

Edited by JGMcD2
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

Just now, RiotAct said:

I would disagree with that.

He was ok in 2018.

Very good in 2019.

2020 was pretty bad to be honest. (I get injuries, but some plays had nothing to do with injuries)

2021 I think he's been very good in 2 games and "meh" in the other 2.

We will see what happens. I hope he pans out obviously 

• Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 2

19 minutes ago, wppete said:

I feel that’s a steal of a deal for the Bills. I thought he would get somewhere around $10million a year. 

Slot corners don’t make that kind of money.  

I think 7.5M is a bit steep for a nickel Cb but considering our scheme, I figured we might over pay to keep him.  Not that he’s not worth the money…..I just didn’t think we’d pay him that much

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, BillsFan130 said:

I would disagree with that.

He was ok in 2018.

Very good in 2019.

2020 was pretty bad to be honest. (I get injuries, but some plays had nothing to do with injuries)

2021 I think he's been very good in 2 games and "meh" in the other 2.

We will see what happens. I hope he pans out obviously 

Yeah I wasn’t expecting Taron to be here long term but he has picked up his play.

9 minutes ago, BillsFan130 said:

No I'm not saying that.

But I don't think Edmunds is a hit of a draft pick.

If he was a good player I would say it was.

But my opinion on Edmunds isn't that high, and I think they missed by trading up to get an average player. (in my mind)

Passing on Leonard was just the cherry on top for me

So, you're saying that Edmunds is not even a "good" player? That says all I need to know.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, RiotAct said:

No, he hasn’t.   He was better in 2019 than in 2020.  There may have been factors beyond his control that led to the regression, but don’t lie

• Disagree 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.